April 20, 2024, 07:23:58 AM

Author Topic: Harsh but true, but then  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Harsh but true, but then
« on: May 08, 2007, 08:48:16 AM »
how do you explain Capello?

Updated: May 8, 2007
Madrid legend slams Benitez and Mourinho

Former World Cup-winner Jorge Valdano has fiercely criticised the style of football produced by Jose Mourinho and Rafael Benitez, claiming it stems from their failure to find success as players.

The Argentinian, a legend at Real Madrid where he played, coached and was most recently sporting director, has criticised Chelsea boss Mourinho and Liverpool counterpart Benitez following the uninspiring Champions League semi-final tie between the English sides.

'Football is made up of subjective feeling, of suggestion - and, in that, Anfield is unbeatable. Put a s*** hanging from a stick in the middle of this passionate, crazy stadium and there are people who will tell you it's a work of art. It's not: it's a s*** hanging from a stick,' he wrote in Spanish newspaper Marca.

'Chelsea and Liverpool are the clearest, most exaggerated example of the way football is going: very intense, very collective, very tactical, very physical, and very direct.

'But, a short pass? No. A feint? No. A change of pace? No. A one-two? A nutmeg? A backheel? Don't be ridiculous. None of that. The extreme control and seriousness with which both teams played the semi-final neutralised any creative licence, any moments of exquisite skill.'

Despite his father's status in the game as a former Portugal goalkeeper, Mourinho never played professionally and instead focused his sights on a coaching future while Benitez also only achieved success by working his way up the coaching structure, having failed to make an appearance in the Primera Liga.

Valdano believes that has led to a degree of cynicism as managers.

'The lives of Mourinho and Benitez have crossed in a world that is ever more scrutinised and exposed by the media, which is why they look at each other with such distrust.

'But they have two things in common: a previously denied, hitherto unsatisfied hunger for glory, and a desire to have everything under control.

'Both of those things stem from one key factor: neither Mourinho nor Benitez made it as a player. That has made them channel all their vanity into coaching.

'Those who did not have the talent to make it as players do not believe in the talent of players, they do not believe in the ability to improvise in order to win football matches. In short, Benitez and Mourinho are exactly the kind of coaches that Benitez and Mourinho would have needed to have made it as players.'

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Harsh but true, but then
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 09:00:28 AM »
I don't know if not ever being players makes them so conservative but I agree with everything said here. Stupid, boring football- that's all they're good for. 

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 09:41:08 AM »
Boring yes, Stupid no.
It's a matter of how much value you place in results and entertainment. I'm sure 100% of us preferred that T&T won an ugly game vs Bahrain rather than lost looking good like Uraguay vs Australia.

Undoubtedly, Both Murinho and Benitez have found success at the highest level in Europe. But is it enough to just win? Most will say no. We want to be entertained. Recall the scene in Gladiator when Proximo tells Maximus that it is not enough to be an efficient killer. Killing is sufficient for the army, but in the arena, the crowd needs to be entertained.

The entertainment vs results argument would be a difficult one to make (the people with the purse-strings prefer results), if it were not for the counter-examples in existence. Milan, Barca, Real Madrid, Arsenal and Man U (and so many more) all have found great success without being boring.

I suspect that they both see the game as being one of percentages and numbers, to an extent that they can take as much pleasure in seeing the machine run, as we take seing Arsenal or Barca dazzle us on the pitch.

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 10:03:45 AM »
Fergusson & Wenger didn't have good playing careers, if any at all, his argument is flawed. I'm not saying that Chelsea & Liverpool does not play a somewhat robotic football but I don't think it's the result of their managers not being players. Also, the brand they play in the Champions League is different than the one they play in the EPL.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 10:22:14 AM »
if you look at the play makers on chelsea and liverpool, they dont have the type of imagination and flair the coach was describing in his article. these teams have more work-manlike players in their midfield so thats why their attacking play looks so robotic. compared to manu, who has ronaldo running their offense, barca who have deco and ronaldinho doing the same, the style  and flair of their attacks are different, not because of the coach but because of the player personel!!! :beermug: :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 11:07:34 AM »
Boring yes, Stupid no.
It's a matter of how much value you place in results and entertainment. I'm sure 100% of us preferred that T&T won an ugly game vs Bahrain rather than lost looking good like Uraguay vs Australia.

Undoubtedly, Both Murinho and Benitez have found success at the highest level in Europe. But is it enough to just win? Most will say no. We want to be entertained. Recall the scene in Gladiator when Proximo tells Maximus that it is not enough to be an efficient killer. Killing is sufficient for the army, but in the arena, the crowd needs to be entertained.

The entertainment vs results argument would be a difficult one to make (the people with the purse-strings prefer results), if it were not for the counter-examples in existence. Milan, Barca, Real Madrid, Arsenal and Man U (and so many more) all have found great success without being boring.

I suspect that they both see the game as being one of percentages and numbers, to an extent that they can take as much pleasure in seeing the machine run, as we take seing Arsenal or Barca dazzle us on the pitch.

By stupid I didn't mean lacking intelligence I mean I just hate it. The example you used of T&T winning an ugly game is fair one but I think the motives are different. When you or I watch T&T play we want to win first and get a good game second. When I turn on my TV to watch a Champions League match I expect to be entertained. Its all about the money for them (Chelsea and Liverpool)- it doesn't matter how you play, just win.

There's always next season. Italy and Spain will re-adjust the balance of power and that shitball Chelsea and Liverpool play will be soon forgotten.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 11:29:44 AM by Jah Gol »

1]; } ?>