April 29, 2024, 11:37:04 AM

Author Topic: Toronto beats Chicago 3-1 for first MLS victory  (Read 3599 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Toronto beats Chicago 3-1 for first MLS victory
« on: May 12, 2007, 10:22:10 PM »
Toronto FC 3, Chicago Fire 1
Ctv.ca

TORONTO — The goal drought is over, as is the wait for the first win. Five games into its inaugural season, Toronto FC is officially on the board thanks to a 3-1 victory over the Chicago Fire on Saturday afternoon.

After an eventful opening 45 minutes ended at 1-1, the expansion MLS side came out blazing in the second half and put Chicago away with a pair of goals before a raucous crowd at BMO Field.

Fullback Kevin Goldthwaite gave Toronto a 2-1 lead in the 51st minute with a low left-footed shot. Rookie midfielder Maurice Edu made it 3-1 in the 75th with a glorious left-footed shot, showing nice technique in controlling the ball after substitute Andrea Lombardo found him all alone in the box.

Toronto improved to 1-4-0 while Chicago fell to 3-2-1 after its second straight loss.

Striker Danny Dichio got the ball rolling in the opening 45 minutes by notching a couple of firsts for Toronto, scoring the first goal and then earning the first red card in franchise history.

First the good news.

It took Toronto 384 minutes to score and the goal sent BMO Field into a frenzy. Commemorative white seat cushions, provided for free as part of what was dubbed the stadium's official opening weekend, doubled as Frisbees as fans tossed them out of the stands like rice at a wedding.

The white discs on the green artificial turf made BMO Field look like the site of a giant game of Twister.

The historic goal came in the 24th minute as Edson Buddle drove into the penalty box, raking a low cross across to Dichio. Parked in front of goal, the big English striker stuck out a leg and managed to tap the ball in despite falling backwards.

Pandemonium ensued.

But the joy was short-lived as Chicago equalized off a corner in the 36th minute. The ball came out to Chris Rolfe at the edge of the box and the striker scored his fourth of the season on a hard rising shot through traffic from the edge of the box.

There was trouble in the 43rd minute as Chicago goalie Matt Pickens objected to the way Dichio challenged for the ball in front of goal. An enraged Pickens picked himself off the ground and headed straight to Dichio. Shoves were exchanged, drawing a flood of players into the fracas in the Chicago goal.

When the dust settled, Dichio and feisty Fire midfielder Diego Gutierrez were ejected, with Dichio leaving to a standing ovation. Replays showed that Pickens may have had a legitimate beef with the six-foot-three striker, who was using his arms and legs to make a nuisance of himself with the goalie.

There were 25 fouls in the first half alone.

Toronto came out firing on all guns in the second, with Edu and Ronnie O'Brien forcing Pickens to stop accurate long-range efforts before Goldthwaite scored.

The game was the second straight at home for Toronto, which started with three losses on the road. Toronto hosts defending champion Houston on Wednesday and then D.C. United on Saturday to end its current four-game homestand.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Re: Toronto beats Chicago 3-1 for first MLS victory
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 11:00:28 PM »
ah was watching the game and hearing the tum tum  and iron beating ah say iz only trini could do that.good dame guys.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 11:07:20 PM »
Yea i was  hearing ah riddim section on  the foxsports broadcast. Like it have plenty trinis in the Toronto area

TrinInfinite

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 02:31:15 AM »
Yea i was hearing ah riddim section on the foxsports broadcast. Like it have plenty trinis in the Toronto area

about 150 000 of us trinis, i was at de game, de riddim section is my people.. i was dere.. nice vibe, WN/sw.net will be doin joint ventures with the TFC supporters group :beermug:

God is de BOSS...

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 06:54:15 AM »
Doesn't Osei Telesford play for Chicago?..How did he perform against Toronto?

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 08:14:46 AM »
Unused sub

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 09:21:16 AM »
I watched that game on Tv and I have to say that it looked like a proper football game............great atmosphere (almost like watching English football)and good football on display.

If all MLS games were like that they would be taken more seriously.  Well done Toronto!

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 11:15:15 AM »
Yea i was hearing ah riddim section on the foxsports broadcast. Like it have plenty trinis in the Toronto area

about 150 000 of us trinis, i was at de game, de riddim section is my people.. i was dere.. nice vibe, WN/sw.net will be doin joint ventures with the TFC supporters group :beermug:

God is de BOSS...

That was a very  entertaining game.  I taped it and was intending to just fast forward through, and look at the goals and result.  But after two minutes in, the energy and atmosphere of the Toronto supporters drew me in, and the football was very good.
 Good work by your rhythm section.

Offline #8

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 11:45:09 AM »
The game was a besss game as we does say in my opinion...Ronnie O' Brien was influencial for the time he was on the field (take into consideration he's not back to 100% fitness and played with his right leg in a knee brace) he's one of the things toronto has been lacking from game 1 onwards..a creative presence in the midfield...Edson Buddle game out to play and hustled and created problems up top for the time he was on the field(he set up the 1st 2 goals)....Maurice Adu was the player of the match for me..he's a workhorse..not only is he technically and skillfully gifted but his positioning on the field is  priceless..and last but not least his goal was the game's best...

Once the fan support(and the team's level of play) stays the way it is right now..it's gonna be VERY VERY hard for teams to come to toronto and get 3 points..cause that crowd is 1 of the most intimidating home crowds i've seen in a while

« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 11:47:06 AM by #8 »

Offline #8

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 11:51:50 AM »

Osei played a full 90 against the toronto reserves the game finished 2-2..he had a good/solid game..he played right back for 80 minutes and right midfield for the last 10..SOLID in both positions...very comfortable on the ball..he leaves chicago next week for T&T to start Gold Cup preparations

Offline SabreWolves

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 02:57:10 PM »
TI,  were you all in behind the goal...   
I heard on a TO radio station that there was a 'lively bunch' in the endzone, which made their trip to the stadium a worthy trip. He also said that if that athmosphere continues, toronto will have a great home field advantage.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 03:13:17 PM »

God is de BOSS...

That was the best crowd in MLS history. with energy and percentage of people in the stadium. hope the others can learn from dat

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 03:24:01 PM »
The game was a besss game as we does say in my opinion...Ronnie O' Brien was influencial for the time he was on the field (take into consideration he's not back to 100% fitness and played with his right leg in a knee brace) he's one of the things toronto has been lacking from game 1 onwards..a creative presence in the midfield...Edson Buddle game out to play and hustled and created problems up top for the time he was on the field(he set up the 1st 2 goals)....Maurice Adu was the player of the match for me..he's a workhorse..not only is he technically and skillfully gifted but his positioning on the field is  priceless..and last but not least his goal was the game's best...

Once the fan support(and the team's level of play) stays the way it is right now..it's gonna be VERY VERY hard for teams to come to toronto and get 3 points..cause that crowd is 1 of the most intimidating home crowds i've seen in a while

Toronto needed a football team to call its own in a competitive league for a long time now...given de crowds over the past home games, the fan passion is there. I was real impressed by the last turnout and the atmosphere.

Hopefully Toronto FC does its part in making the game bigger in Canada outside of World Cup time

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 03:58:58 PM »

Osei played a full 90 against the toronto reserves the game finished 2-2..he had a good/solid game..he played right back for 80 minutes and right midfield for the last 10..SOLID in both positions...very comfortable on the ball..he leaves chicago next week for T&T to start Gold Cup preparations

Thanks for the update.. :beermug:

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
TI,  were you all in behind the goal...   
I heard on a TO radio station that there was a 'lively bunch' in the endzone, which made their trip to the stadium a worthy trip. He also said that if that athmosphere continues, toronto will have a great home field advantage.

That was the U-Sector & RPB's behind the goal, TFC's supporter section.  Most of these guys are also members of the Voyageurs, Canada's fan group.  It was good seeing many friends that I have known for years.

I made the trip from Winnipeg for both the TFC match and the Canada-Argentina U-20 exhibition match the night before.  Both games were sold-out, as every game at BMO FIeld is expected to be this year.

The revelation of both nights was teenage sensation, and TO native Andrea Lombardo.  After a bruising game on Friday night, in which Lombardo gave the Agies fits all night, I was shocked to see Lombardo enter the match vs Chicago.  There was no way he could have been close to 100% after only half a days rest.  But he showed he could handle the physical aspect of MLS, and is clearly going to be a potential starter for TFC from this point on.  Another positive aspect, was that Canadian Braz and Pozniak were also second half subs.  Canadians, Brennan and Sutton played their usual 90 minutes.

Offline SabreWolves

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 01:14:48 PM »
This Game is being replayed (again) of FSN  3pm DST

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 01:58:22 PM »
i watching de replay right now.....i thought i was hearing tings but is riddim section ah hearing. aye TI allyuh coming down to jersey against de red bulls?
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 08:00:56 PM »
Toronto records dey 2nd win in a row...1-0 over Houston Dynamo

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 05:09:13 AM »
Toronto records dey 2nd win in a row...1-0 over Houston Dynamo

With 7 Canucks on the field............. :)

1]; } ?>