April 28, 2024, 01:32:19 PM

Author Topic: Samuel on way out at Tannadice.  (Read 7375 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Samuel on way out at Tannadice.
« on: May 14, 2007, 11:46:46 PM »
Collin Samuel on way out at Tannadice.
By: Graeme Dey (The Courier).

Dundee United and their Trinidad and Tobago internationalist attacker Collin Samuel are to part company after Saturday’s concluding fixture against Motherwell.
That follows Samuel’s agent being advised that any new contract that was offered him would be considerably less lucrative than the one which expires in the next few weeks.
“I don’t believe Collin has been consistent enough to warrant being offered the same terms as he is on currently,’’ revealed manager Craig Levein.
“I would have kept him on at a reduced salary, and I spoke to his agent over the weekend, but the upshot is he’ll be leaving.”
Meanwhile, the Toronto Sun reported that Toronto FC finally won on the pitch in its inaugural Major League Soccer season but suffered a loss at the hands of Canada Customs and Immigration officials.
Two days after Toronto beat Chicago, coach Mo Johnston yesterday was set to announce the signing of Dundee United star Collin Samuel. But the 25-year-old striker was denied entry to Canada.
It was the third time immigration officials have thrown an obstacle at Johnston.
Previous TFC players who had to detour around road blocks at immigration were Abbe Ibrahim, from the West Africa nation of Togo and Danny Dichio, of England.
Both eventually were allowed to play, but for Samuel -- a native of Trinidad and Tobago -- it marked the end of his quest to don the red shirt for TFC.
"We had the blessing of his club (Dundee United) and he was looking forward to playing here," Johnston said. "I'm really disappointed that immigration won't let another player in."
Johnston said he could not explain why Canadian immigration officials have taken such a hard stand in this case.
"He was just denied entry, which I don't understand," Johnston said.
"He's married to a British girl. Aren't we all supposed to be part of the Commonwealth? I could have got him into America easier."
Now Johnston must wait and watch while Samuel most likely will take his offensive skills -- he was Dundee United's leading scorer last season -- to another MLS club.
"There are six or seven (MLS) teams after him, but we were first on board," Johnston said. "We invited him here to see the game (against Houston Dynamo tomorrow at BMO Field) to see the atmosphere. It would have been an ideal situation."
“Collin had been asked over to Toronto to check out the club and see what the MLS has to offer,” confirmed the player’s agent Raymond Sparkes.
“I know Mo well and he has been raving about his team and the set-up there.
“They want to have Collin on board, although he was going there initially to have a look rather than sign.
“He has a Trinidad and Tobago passport but, having been resident in the United Kingdom for five years, we did not think he would need a full-blown visa for the visit.
“We just did not have enough time to apply for that so the result was that he could not fly out.
“I know Toronto FC are completely disappointed about that but I still believe Mo is keen to follow through with his interest.
“Collin will go back to Trinidad as soon as the season finishes then we’ll see what happens after that,” added Sparkes, who intimated there is also interest in Samuel from Scotland and England.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 06:04:08 AM by Flex »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel on way out at Tannadice
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 12:44:19 AM »
Well, then I guess Toronto FC it is!!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 01:36:25 AM »
yeah time fuh him to tun up some ah dem Americans in de MLS ;D
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 02:43:06 AM »
so there is no other team in europe he cud go to? it difficult to leave de mls yuh know

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 02:45:20 AM »
Yorke needs tuh pull some strings.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 06:12:42 AM »
Yorke needs tuh pull some strings.
With a few championships and league one clubs yuh mean right ?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 08:16:01 AM by DWarriorMan »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel on way out at Tannadice.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 07:42:49 AM »
I don’t believe Collin has been consistent enough...
That has been his main problem, both for club and country. If he didn't have that good performance against Iceland I doh tink he woulda gone to the World Cup.

On the club level, he has never recaptured the form he displayed at Falkirk in 2002/2003 when he was bussing de net right through.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 07:45:47 AM »
Ah disappointed that he hasn't found anything good in Europe.
He should be more than good enough for a Championship team.
Do wha yuh hadda do yes.

Now if he sign ah go have to look at MLS games, oh geed.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 09:50:22 AM »
I eh too mind. If he sign ah might actually try to make de drive down de road to go and check out a TFC game. Maybe that Beckham game in August...
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 09:51:48 AM »
I eh too mind. If he sign ah might actually try to make de drive down de road to go and check out a TFC game. Maybe that Beckham game in August...

dat eh working out either...I getting worried for de man now

Access denied

Immigration says no to TFC
By DEAN MCNULTY -- Sun Media

Toronto FC coach Mo Johnston must wait and watch while Collin Samuel most likely will take his offensive skills elsewhere. (Sun Media/Craig Robertson)

Toronto FC finally won on the pitch in its inaugural Major League Soccer season but suffered a loss at the hands of Canada Customs and Immigration officials.

Two days after Toronto beat Chicago, coach Mo Johnston yesterday was set to announce the signing of Dundee United star Collin Samuel. But the 25-year-old striker was denied entry to Canada.

It was the third time immigration officials have thrown an obstacle at Johnston.

Previous TFC players who had to detour around road blocks at immigration were Abbe Ibrahim, from the West Africa nation of Togo and Danny Dichio, of England.

Both eventually were allowed to play, but for Samuel -- a native of Trinidad and Tobago -- it marked the end of his quest to don the red shirt for TFC.

"We had the blessing of his club (Dundee) and he was looking forward to playing here," Johnston said. "I'm really disappointed that immigration won't let another player in."

Johnston said he could not explain why Canadian immigration officials have taken such a hard stand in this case.

"He was just denied entry, which I don't understand," Johnston said.

"He's married to a British girl. Aren't we all supposed to be part of the Commonwealth? I could have got him into America easier."

Now Johnston must wait and watch while Samuel most likely will take his offensive skills -- he was Dundee's leading scorer last season -- to another MLS club.

"There are six or seven (MLS) teams after him, but we were first on board," Johnston said. "We invited him here to see the game (against Houston Dynamo tomorrow at BMO Field) to see the atmosphere. It would have been an ideal situation."
  :cursing:

Johnston got a second dose of bad news on the international front yesterday when New Zealand national coach Ricki Herbert recalled TFC defender Andrew Boyens for pre-World Cup qualifying matches against Wales on May 26 and again on June 6 against Ukraine.

The coach was none too happy to hear he would be losing his rookie defender for two weeks of friendlies.

"I don't have a comment right now," Johnston said. "I'll deal with it when it happens."

As for Boyens, he said he was happy to be asked to play for his country.

"It's always an honour to play on the national side," Boyens said. "This will be an audition for me to make the team when qualifying starts for real in the fall."

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 09:56:52 AM »
Well so much fuh dat. If he sign with a next MLS side doh wah go happen? He eh go be able to play in any match against Toronto in Toronto??

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 10:54:27 AM »
its racist policies by the immigration board really, theres only a few on the board itself who are not racist, my family knows one of dem, other than dat, they have been keeping tt citizens out of the country for years and has made it hard on us to get in.. there are many other cases that have been reported with racist policies against trinis in canada.

God is de BOSS...

racism in canada?

i didn't know it existed given their holier than thou attitude. buh then look at the british & french.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 11:37:44 AM »
He should easily get picked up by another SPL or a championship club.
Players that score goals always get picked up.

Patience is all that is needed.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 11:49:10 AM »

Problem is, he eh really scoring all that much.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 11:53:52 AM »

Problem is, he eh really scoring all that much.

He only scored 5 goals in 26 league appearances this season.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 12:42:38 PM »
I don't think it have anything to do with racism. We have a lot!!!!!!!! of Trinidadians in Canada. In fact, some may agree that is may be easier to get into canada than in america.

Canada is asking countries like Trinidad for skilled laborers to help build their economy. They literally giving award work permits and eventually residency.

I don't understand what was the matter with Sammy. Maybe his documents are not proper yet or something of that nature. Maybe soon he will be sorted out.

Kingman
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 12:46:47 PM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 12:49:52 PM »

??? ???

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 12:51:42 PM »
its racist policies by the immigration board really, theres only a few on the board itself who are not racist, my family knows one of dem, other than dat, they have been keeping tt citizens out of the country for years and has made it hard on us to get in.. there are many other cases that have been reported with racist policies against trinis in canada.

God is de BOSS...

yeah right

the article said Danny Dichio was also denied entry by immigration. Dichio is a white Englishman. Explain your comments again?

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 02:55:12 PM »

??? ???
Seems the article was edited/updated to add the mention that he was blocked by immigration. At the time I responded that bit hadn't been announced yet.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 03:42:43 PM »

??? ???
Seems the article was edited/updated to add the mention that he was blocked by immigration. At the time I responded that bit hadn't been announced yet.

cool

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 03:45:25 PM »
yeah right
the article said Danny Dichio was also denied entry by immigration. Dichio is a white Englishman. Explain your comments again?
Filho, how you could use facts to confuse de issue?
 :devil: :angel: :rotfl: ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 04:31:51 PM »

God is de BOSS...

yeah right

But then again he was allowed to join the team.

I agree it is conjecture to infer racism based on Samuel's case however I wouldn't go so far as to defend them without facts, especially b/c their history with Trinis.

I wonder if the same thing would happen to a Trini NBA player. The MLS should get involved in these cases otherwise the team will be at a disadvantage.
TnT Patriot

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 04:48:33 PM »

God is de BOSS...

yeah right

But then again he was allowed to join the team.

I agree it is conjecture to infer racism based on Samuel's case however I wouldn't go so far as to defend them without facts, especially b/c their history with Trinis.

I wonder if the same thing would happen to a Trini NBA player. The MLS should get involved in these cases otherwise the team will be at a disadvantage.
It really eh have nothing de MLS could really do. Dey doh carry any weight in Canada and as such cannot override the Canadian Immigration. Couple of years ago there was a bball player from the Trailblazers who couldn't make the trip to play the Raptors in Toronto because of his record. Immigration wouldn't let the man in the country.

1]; } ?>