April 27, 2024, 04:29:18 AM

Author Topic: New boy Birchall adding grit to T&T  (Read 6441 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
New boy Birchall adding grit to T&T
« on: August 01, 2005, 10:24:04 AM »
New boy Birchall adding grit to T&T
By Gordon Williams (sportsjamaica.com)

THE REGGAE BOYZ' formula for success during the "Road to France" campaign is being sampled by fellow Caribbean hopefuls Trinidad and Tobago as they make a final push for a place in the 2006 World Cup.

Thrust into the heart of T&T's drive to football's biggest stage in Germany is Christopher Birchall, a tough tackling English-born player. He could help erase the so-called "soft" tag long linked to T&T's football teams, and put some real fight into the Soca Warriors. Either way, some regional football observers agree, patterning the Reggae Boyz is worth a try.

"I know that all the countries are trying to give a fair deal to the citizens and because of this, if there is a player who shows up in England who is from Trinidad and Tobago, they certainly will entertain him," said Alvin Corneal, a former T&T national coach who attended the recent Gold Cup as a technical consultant for CONCACAF and FIFA, the sport's governing body.

"Whether it's going to be successful or not we're not quite sure. It worked for Jamaica in the 1998 World Cup."

Not flashy

That Birchall's style is not the finesse version typically associated with T&T national teams - Jamaicans will remember Russell Latapy and Leonsen Lewis - bothers neither the lad born in England to a mother from Port of Spain and a father from Liverpool, nor his new teammates. The Warriors have embraced him from day one, Birchall says, and that's good enough to ease his transition. That leaves him to focus on his job to help them get where they have never been in the world game.

"I think I've been accepted already," said the 21-year-old, blonde, blue-eyed central midfielder from Port Vale in Britain while representing T&T at the Gold Cup in the United States.

From the moment I first come into the camp the lads have been great with me. No one has been difficult with me. They've all been good."

If Gold Cup observers weren't sure what he could do, a swerving long distance strike against Honduras in T&T's opening match served up a timely - if surprising - reminder. That goal helped T&T secure a 1-1 draw with the eventual Gold Cup semi-finalists.

Former Peru World Cup great Teofilio "Nene" Cubillas, who worked the Gold Cup as a CONCACAF consultant, admitted that Birchall and T&T opened his eyes to the fact that good football can come from the Soca Warriors.

"Trinidad and Tobago for me is a surprise," Cubillas told THE STAR.

Being voted the best player in that game by Cubillas and the media, some of whom openly marvelled at the "white guy" roaming the midfield for T&T in Miami, did not hurt Birchall's growing popularity either.

"Playing the first game, getting man of the match, brought a lot of confidence for me," Birchall said. "Especially getting the goal. It's my first goal for Trinidad."

English flavour

Football fans in Jamaica were long convinced that the influx of English-born professionals was among the main reasons the Reggae Boyz reached the 1998 World Cup in France. It started with the arrival of Deon Burton, Paul Hall and Fitzroy Simpson. Later, the British influence grew.

The Reggae Boyz needed a heightened sense of professionalism and the Brits brought it.

During that time T&T, with a couple exceptions, stayed true to talent born in the twin-island republic. That plan did not succeed, as T&T were repeatedly knocked from the final stages of World Cup qualifying, the most cruel blow in 1989 when needing only to draw with the U.S. at home, the Soca Warriors buckled to a devastating 1-0 defeat.

T&T's players' association with professionalism was never in question, most of their national players have been in European leagues for years. But Jamaican coaches spoke openly and often about the Warriors' vulnerability to rugged, rough-and-tumble competition.

This time, with the Soca Warriors currently struggling to stay afloat in the final qualifying group, some good ol' English punch might be enough to get them over the top, despite competing in a group with world class teams Mexico and the U.S., plus Gold Cup finalist Panama and ever dangerous Costa Rica and Guatemala.

Birchall has already sampled the intensity of World Cup qualifiers, his steady, hustling, but less glamourous style offering a contrast to the smoother skills of veterans Dwight Yorke, Stern John and Angus Eve, knitted with a younger brigade.

So far, Dutch coach Leo Beenhakker has not been disappointed in what he has seen, publicly congratulating Birchall on his fine show against Honduras in the Gold Cup. But others are more inclined to wait and see.

"I don't think (Birchall) will ever be one of the creative players that will turn Trinidad and Tobago's midfield around," said Corneal. "It's not gonna happen."

Yet Corneal did concede that Birchall is a good fit for T&T.

"Certainly (Birchall) is footing the bill now," he said. "He's ball winning. He's definitely earning his keep. At the moment, he's doing a good job."

For T&T, there's no time like the present. They travel to the U.S. in mid-August to begin the return leg round of World Cup qualifiers, after being beaten by the Americans the first time. T&T are on four points in the group, tied with Guatemala for the second-from-last place occupied by Panama, who are on two. Mexico and the U.S. are clearly ahead on 13 and 12 points, respectively. Costa Rica are on seven, and in the coveted number three automatic qualifying spot. The race is far from over.

After Jamaica were eliminated in the semi-final round, T&T became the English-speaking Caribbean's last hope for a place in World Cup 2006. But whether or not Birchall can rev-up T&T's engine is yet to be seen. He still battles the higher temperatures of the region, but the warm welcome from the T&T supporters has been encouraging. He feels he owes them now, for getting the opportunity to play international football, and hopes to repay a country long wanting to emulate its Caribbean neighbours Jamaica by appearing at football's biggest show.

"I've got to be grateful to the fans," he said, "...and maybe I can give some of it back by trying to get us to the World Cup."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 11:16:56 AM by Tallman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: New boy Birchall adding grit to T&T
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 10:36:00 AM »
tell da jamaician writer haul he ass nah.....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 10:39:28 AM »
What this guy talking bout we always was dependent on local players .  We always playing with a team of foreign based players from since 91 , 92 . And we never following any jamaican team . So I ain't know wha is all de hype bout we bringin in foreign players .

TnT always had been doin that .
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 11:05:30 AM »
passTen trini the  writer foreign born players.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 11:06:43 AM »
tell da jamaician writer haul he ass nah

oh why should he big magician care to say ;D

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 11:10:51 AM »
tell him write bout regagge brits 2010 wc campaign
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 11:11:28 AM »
What this guy talking bout we always was dependent on local players .  We always playing with a team of foreign based players from since 91 , 92 . And we never following any jamaican team . So I ain't know wha is all de hype bout we bringin in foreign players .

?

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 11:18:37 AM »
jamaica feel they better than us because they reach the world cup once....they forget all them years we dominate or what??? the writer trying to make people feel that we a little behind jca and we using their pattern to get to the world cup..

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 12:08:16 PM »
Or is that how you interpret duscam why you all look at thins so negative

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 12:09:00 PM »
 Right now dey playing better than we dussy but is we who holding every caribbean club championship record .  We represented cfu at dem concacaf  club campionships for de last 14 years untill this year when one ah we club lose to dem to go and play in de concacaf club championships. In de days of the caribbean football union league is we who win everyone of them . And we been beating all other teams in cfu club football eveytime .

National team win countless number of caribbean championships . DEy only win it 3 times . TnT have been de dominant side for the last 15 - 18 years of football we just lose ah few hear and there dais all . We won everythhing counless times over .

Maybe tallman u could give we a lil idea on how dominant tnt have been in any form of football in the caribbean .  
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 12:33:54 PM »
actually right now they not even playing...excuse me but we in the finals. not negative..but i have been around enough jcans to know the arrogance in an article like that..
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 01:03:51 PM by Tallman »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 12:38:51 PM »
passtentrini boss i would rather go to a world cup than be the king of the caribbean .
Well duscam we trinis can be arrogant to and have that national pride no body eh stopping we!

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 12:54:05 PM »
Right now dey playing better than we dussy but is we who holding every caribbean club championship record .  We represented cfu at dem concacaf  club campionships for de last 14 years untill this year when one ah we club lose to dem to go and play in de concacaf club championships. In de days of the caribbean football union league is we who win everyone of them . And we been beating all other teams in cfu club football eveytime .

National team win countless number of caribbean championships . DEy only win it 3 times . TnT have been de dominant side for the last 15 - 18 years of football we just lose ah few hear and there dais all . We won everythhing counless times over .

Maybe tallman u could give we a lil idea on how dominant tnt have been in any form of football in the caribbean . 

So right now they're playing better than we are, their champion club recently defeated our champion club, They won the most recent Digicel Cup (defeating us in the process), they've performed fairly well in the just concluded Gold Cup, and they've made it to a World Cup, something we've yet to accomplish.  To top it off, we have a 5-12 (with 6 draws) record against them.
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/t/h2h/index.html?ta=TRI&tb=JAM&cl=all

So I'll excuse their arrogance for now.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 01:04:50 PM »
What this guy talking bout we always was dependent on local players .  We always playing with a team of foreign based players from since 91 , 92 . And we never following any jamaican team . So I ain't know wha is all de hype bout we bringin in foreign players .

I think you missed the point. He was trying to say that we stuck to our local-born players, not necessarily local based...whereas Jamaica started drafting in UK born "Jamaicans"..........that's what I gathered.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 08:09:15 PM »
I hear u kicker and triniman  :D . Leh we doh forget shaka cause is long time we tracking he before he finally commit to tnt ( before up north and dem went world cup ) .
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline iceberg

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 09:18:20 PM »
Jamaica was always jealous of we. they don't like soca and they never like we brand of footbal.  we use to buss they ass all the time and because they make to the WC once they pulling rank.  the article refer to us as soft? when was that.  Boy is time for the current Team to shut up all the critics and give U.S. ah poison pill on August 17th.  Ah win against the Americans will do us good.

GO Warriors.
If your heart is not in the game then your not a true footballer!!!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2005, 07:36:51 AM »
Jamaica was always jealous of we. they don't like soca and they never like we brand of footbal.  we use to buss they ass all the time and because they make to the WC once they pulling rank.  the article refer to us as soft? when was that.  Boy is time for the current Team to shut up all the critics and give U.S. ah poison pill on August 17th.  Ah win against the Americans will do us good.

hmmm the stench of envy ,jealousy badmind hmmmm ewwww

How does soca come in this iceberg i am picking up a bit of hate for jamaicans. Is it the fact you like  reggae and they embrace thier culture and not ours to the way you would like it?So what about african americans and latinos?do they like soca i tell me nuh?. ALSO Iceberg had trinidad made it to  the world cup before jamaica wouldn't you be pulling rank ::) where does this article refer to us as soft!!! point out where let make take apart the assholes here

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2005, 07:42:09 AM »
Thrust into the heart of T&T's drive to football's biggest stage in Germany is Christopher Birchall, a tough tackling English-born player. He could help erase the so-called "soft" tag long linked to T&T's football teams, and put some real fight into the Soca Warriors. Either way, some regional football observers agree, patterning the Reggae Boyz is worth a try.

But triniman u self post the article.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2005, 09:56:15 AM »
Triniman, I believe you should be posting such trashy & biased articles on the RB forum where they belong!  ???
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2005, 09:57:54 AM »
Triniman I feel u does bring ting in here to upset man . You acting like an antagonist ah find . Why u doh jus stay over dey with RB an dem ?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 11:46:07 AM by Tallman »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2005, 10:17:40 AM »
Why is everybody hating ?? The article just expresses a point of view, and draws on some past factual infomation with to back it up. It makes a decent point, whether it was written by a Jamaican or whoever.

If you disagree with it, do so constructively and come up with your own research and facts to dispute it, instead of making us Trinis look like a bunch of defensive, jealous, sour, cry-babies who can't take criticism.........Don't just attack the writer, and the fact that he's Jamaican....or the guy who posted the article.....not classy...shameful actually.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 10:20:08 AM by kicker »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2005, 10:39:34 AM »
Why yuh so sensitive kicker?

Like someone kick yuh up yuh behind today or what?

I was attempting to whind-up Triniman, not you?

Btw I never realised that my view represented everyone here on this forum! Boy ah better watch what I post in the future and make sure I consult you and everyone else before I post anything so as not to misrepresent everyone's point of view?!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2005, 10:50:32 AM »
Hahaha..........Nah no scene...is not just you, other people jump on the article and the author real ignorant ignorant...............making the forumites look like some real jokey men.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 10:52:57 AM by kicker »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2005, 10:56:14 AM »
The article does hold some merit. We had a lot of help in getting to the final round and some would say that Jamaica was more deserving of a place in the final round than us. Jamaica did well to qualify for a World Cup and we could never take that away from them, however I believe that we are better than them.

Jamaica plays a kind of rough, nasty brand of football.If that's what works for them, fine. With respect to the Warriors' vulnerability to rugged, rough-and-tumble competition, I think its another Jamaican insult of Trinidadians. If when we played as badly as they we fouled and fought as aggressively as they did would we be able to cope would rough and tumble competition ? Just look at the USA game, they couldn't cope with the superior play of the Americans and resorted to fouling gratuitously.  

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2005, 12:25:31 PM »
To be honest...I doh even think the writer trying to say Jamaican ball better than Trinidad's (although it is). The article is questioning whether our 'recruitment' of a foreign-BORN Trinidadian like Birchall is a) useful, b) a trend that will be continued and c) patterned after Jamaica's successful use of it for WC '98. I doubt that we copying Jamaica in any respect and I think we were always open to foreign-born if the right situation arose.

BUT.....I do agree that Trinidad ball is 'soft' by international standards. Not soft as in, our players weak and does get bounce around...we soft in that we make it too easy for the opposition to move the ball around and find space. I find that we have always lacked COLLECTIVE hustle and grit. This is not to say we should play nasty or that we don't or did not have talented defensive-minded players...but our style of play generally gives other teams too much room and our movement off the ball tends to be sluggish.....something which is clearly being improved but a bit short of the mark still.
You have to admit that if the grittiest man on the field is a 20 year old Port Vale player (all-respect to Birchall) we lacking some toughness required for the highest level. Like it or not...that is how others see us and I cannot think of a reason to dispute this reputation.

And to tell the truth sometimes you have to get 'stuck in' and play 'dirty'. Force superior teams to earn their play and not just let them come at you. Look at how agressive Brazil and Argentina play each other, especially when one is being outplayed (and they are arguably the two most skilful teams in the world). I know it is a fine balnce and you have to have the right personnel and the right system or you look like a team of hooligans instead of a team with bite. You might disagree with the Jamaican level of agression but their styel is more suited to international football than ours and it is reflected in recent international results. I don't think we've beaten them in years...where Tallman with the stats?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Using foreign-born nationals
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2005, 01:13:59 PM »
As far as using foreign-born nationals is concerned,I find de article kinda late. Fuh de WC 2002 qualifiers we used Ian Cox, Ronnie Mauge and Kevin Austin. In de interim we used Rick Titus, Andre Boucaud and Derek Phillips. We also tried to use Seabra.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 01:44:10 PM »
Firstly, I agree this article a bit too late and I agree with Tallman, but I see men talking about J'cans don't like Soca and they're jealous of us, I'm sure those of you who interact with J'cans regulalry will know this is not completely true, most J'cans I know like Soca, not more than Reggae & Dancehall but they like it, they might be a little jealous of us because we have the sweetest women in the Caribbean but that's another point. Also, the J'cans I'm working with now all rooting for Trinidad to qualify for the WC since they're not there in the Hex, as I hope we would do if we were in their position. I know I was backing J'ca when they qulaified for the WC. You can't look at the comment too negative, our style of play is less physical than J'ca and when we play physical teams it does put us off a bit, just like how Arsenal gets put off when they face a more physical team, it doesn't necessarily mean our play is inferior. In a nut-shell, don't read too much into the post as I think there was no animosity intended by the writer.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Using foreign-born nationals
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2005, 04:10:44 PM »
As far as using foreign-born nationals is concerned,I find de article kinda late. Fuh de WC 2002 qualifiers we used Ian Cox, Ronnie Mauge and Kevin Austin. In de interim we used Rick Titus, Andre Boucaud and Derek Phillips. We also tried to use Seabra.

Well it's not really about the article being late. Maybe there was a similar article written a couple years back about Mauge and co. (I dunno)...This one is just commenting on our present situation......but yes, they did seem to neglect the fact that we have used those foreign born nationals in the past............

Offline Valiantnodge

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2005, 04:18:09 PM »
I find this quite funny. It's seems sad that Jamaica feels they have to make fun of your great Port Vale boy Birchall.
What they forget is that the man that captained them in that World Cup; Robbie Earle started his career with....... PORT VALE and was born here in Stoke on Trent.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2005, 05:05:54 PM »
I find this quite funny. It's seems sad that Jamaica feels they have to make fun of your great Port Vale boy Birchall.
What they forget is that the man that captained them in that World Cup; Robbie Earle started his career with....... PORT VALE and was born here in Stoke on Trent.

well well well ..... just look at that.  ;D
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

1]; } ?>