April 19, 2024, 06:12:35 AM

Author Topic: Can you make money as a Pro league team onwer  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Can you make money as a Pro league team onwer
« on: August 01, 2005, 12:15:18 PM »
I been in deep discussion with my cousin about the Pro League and this question came up if you had the money would you buy a Pro League team we both agree that we would buy our beloved Super Star Rangers and place them in the pro league build there own stadium some where in St Ann’s let just say that this team is in my blood my father was one of the founding members my grand father and uncles played for St Ann’s All Stars so the roots run deep we would have to buy it from Facarooy but that’s a different story, how he became the own of that team. Any way we have a strategic plan the only think in our way is money they have a youth program in place where once a boy turns four his father take him to train with Gamba until he decide that the grass is greener on the other side. The other question is. Ok we love our club but can we make a profit? our do we take continuous  losses like Jack Warner’s Joe pubic, and the answer is all businesses take a loss at start up but that is to be expected but in our case we have a youth program which can be improve with some money and more coaches to assist Gamba he needs help we have a fan base which will grow so once we take over but that’s just one man dream and the real question how many of the business men our EX players with money will take on such an huge task of trying to make money from Pro League football. let me say that with the sale of players to foreign leagues, a good fan base, merchandise sales leads to big gate recites you can make a profit but it take hard work and dedication.   
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 12:16:56 PM by Tallman »
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Can you make money as a Pro league team onwer
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 12:28:32 PM »
I doh think it have any money to be made as a owner of a club in tnt other than making advertising mileage . There isn't much fan interest with the gate receipts or any kind of merchandising profit  ability . Other than selling ah lil soft drink and snacks on site , what money could be generated ?

I don't know if they doing it but the PFL have to start looking at getting sponsors or something to start showing endless matches on tv to whip up some of that interest . They have to try bringing the league to the ppl through modern means and stop hoping that ppl will start showing up for the games just from sports reports on news stations . 
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 12:38:35 PM »
The TV coverage will only happen if you can convince the stations that enough people will watch.  If enough people watch, advertisers will sponsor the broadcast.  This may be a hard sell, because as you pointed out there aren't many spectators showing up.  (It's a new league so this may get better with time).

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 12:43:25 PM »
Our proleage need to be more community based as the jamaican Premier league I have seen many pictures from thier games and the stands are either full of half full. DAT IS WHY AH NAMING MEH FOOTBALL CLUB FC BELMONT
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 01:09:20 PM »
The Community Support as mentioned above is the Key.

You have to find a way to have some support.

If you have fan support money will flow because that will bring advertising etc etc.

It have to be less to do with football and more to do with a lime.

men will fall through.

but like every thing else you have to be in it for the long haul.

Back in the day the oval used to sell out for intercol because that was the big lime, A few years ago I went to an intercol final and it was anything but full.

for football to make money it have to be part of the liming culture but it will take time and constant effort to get it that way. But is is possible.

Just like the oval could sell out for a one day cricket match it should be able to sell out for a PFL match.
But it will take time and marketing.

It is not so much about the money or the football on the field it self

It have to do with the culture.
At present football is not part of the TnT culture.
That is why the support is limited.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 01:40:47 PM »
I believe if can be profitable but the owners have to work real hard to get there fan base just look at the Pro bowl it has a good turn out they just have to keep plugging away but teams like Queens Park Malvern Colts and Harvard should be in the Pro league they used to be big what a sad state. 

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 07:59:46 PM »
Trinman ah have to agree with you 100% . I've seen you say it a few times and I have been too .Community is where it all have to start .

KND say the most fantastic thing there , u have to incorporate it into our culture cause lets face it trini like to party , trini like to fete dais what the calypsonian say (can't remember his name ) . Well doh talk bout ah lime we could do dat whole flicking day. LOL

That is what make panorama so fantistic because not much man in the North stands is real pan fanatic .Is one big lime oui . Probably PFL teams should probably think of having some kind of freebie promotion going on ; two free beers for every fan that get in before the first ten minutes of every game .

They even could try and have a big fete after every Sunday match giving special free entry for every paying fan and make ah lil money from selling some beer . It go have more wok for dem entertainers to make money right through the year . Something have to wok . Is time the PFL hire some kind ah special promotion team to find new ways of bringing in some revenue .

If anyone have some other ideas lets hear it and maybe somebody could jus send ah lil letter with these points into the PFL committee . They need something to be done fast before the pfl league go into extinction

Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 08:25:17 PM »
Think about the size of Trinidad and Tobago.
Look at the size of it compared to most countries in the world.

I and most over here in US drive rings and circles the size of T&T almost every day.

T&T is a community...it's unfortunate that we need to divide it even smaller to support our fellow nationals.

Or find other reasons like ah woulda support but the name aint right ???

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 11:11:46 PM »
Trinimassive dais reality . We looking to go big in everything and cyar even supportr the smaller things . Jack have good ideas and thing but the stuff he trying to pull in lil trini cyar get enough support to be sustained . We got to bbring the ppl into it. The joy a man will get to see men from their community playing in the football team from the same is far greater than men playing for a side with no kind of connection with the home base .

People need to feel a connection with the players and clubs before ticket sales start turn over .

How much better things will be if different communities coming out to play each other , a belmont vs sando or arima vs point fortin fc . What kind of feelings this conjuring up ? How u think men will feel to know dem town playing ? This is instant emotional ties, knowing your community team playing against another. Ppl want to feel a part of something .
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 10:51:27 AM »
That’s why I said I’m going to buy Rangers if I had the money they have a good fan base even the youth teams have fans that come out every time they play

Offline goalmember

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 12:54:15 PM »
The intent is to get established persons of the private sector/business community to own and operate teams.  Apart from the occasional sale of a player, there is not much money to be made.  Becoming a team-owner reduces ones taxable income thus making the lure of team ownership more attractive and appealing to those already active in the business community.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 06:52:57 AM »
Yes u can make money as an owner of a pro league team but not in de angle that you guys are coming from.

Funny as it may sound, John williams is de only man taking advantage of this means of making money of W connection.

True, he has a fan base, and he has a w connection replica store, but de real money is made by selling his players.  for e.g. k. jones was sold to southampton (i think for around 120,000 pounds).  In essence, w conection made apporx 1.3 millions TT dollars off that one player.  Kenwyne is not de only player that was sold by w conn. 

II am not saying that this is de way to go, but i am just merely answering de question by bally. 

It hard to compare international cricket to a PFL game cause we does get 7 days of cricket a year while de PFL is 4 games a week.   \

Skeete has tried his best to market de league and i applaud his efforts.  De pro bowl that was held a couple of months ago was a resounding success.

but de onus is on de players to lift their standard as well.

Untill de league becomes viable, then de only way for teams to survive is for them to sell their best players
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 08:06:40 AM »
Yes u can make money as an owner of a pro league team but not in de angle that you guys are coming from.

Funny as it may sound, John williams is de only man taking advantage of this means of making money of W connection.

k. jones was sold to southampton (i think for around 120,000 pounds).  In essence, w conection made apporx 1.3 millions TT dollars off that one player.  Kenwyne is not de only player that was sold by w conn. 

II am not saying that this is de way to go, but i am just merely answering de question by bally. 

Untill de league becomes viable, then de only way for teams to survive is for them to sell their best players

I didn't think of this but you are right Andre .

But that shouldn't be the basis of incentive for a potential team owner .

I know u were just answering the point but just thought I'd say it for the other posters and readers .
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

1]; } ?>