April 23, 2024, 07:17:21 AM

Author Topic: To my fellow Tech Heads Help me wid dis one  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
To my fellow Tech Heads Help me wid dis one
« on: May 16, 2007, 01:01:45 PM »
I was jus trying to rap my head around dis one

Computers in AG's office may have been hacked

Anna Ramdass aramdass@trinidadexpress.com

Wednesday, May 16th 2007

Attorney General John Jeremie yesterday admitted that fraudsters may have hacked into the computer system at his office last year.

"We have had difficulties with our computer system last year but we do not have the files of any public or any private citizens in relation to criminal matters in our files...so all that might have been hacked was information relevant to the Attorney General's office," said Jeremie at yesterday's Senate sitting.

Jeremie was responding to allegations raised by Opposition Senator Dr Tim Gopeesingh that the AG's computers were hacked into and the files of citizens who were victims of crime fell into criminal hands.

"I want the Attorney General to tell this House how many private files of citizens were made public and fell into criminal hands when his computer system was hacked into last year," said Gopeesingh, adding that the UNC knew that a secret investigation was conducted.

Jeremie responded that the Anti-Corruption Bureau had a separate system where such records were kept, adding: "I do not know what goes on in their system."

Now what ah saying is, what kinda system gov't running on?  Dey dohhave de systems networked wid firewall/dmz/sms protection or anything?  Some how I think dat it is a stand alone machine dat have a regular password on it, nuttin you have to update/use international standarts on etc....

What alyu think?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: To my fellow Tech Heads Help me wid dis one
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 01:11:16 PM »
anybody from ah cleaner to a pizza delivery guy coulda have access to it.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 01:19:47 PM »
I think they using the word/term hacked loosely here. I feel sombody just left that computer on with ah administrator logged in and some farce person went in and get some info...from the article it ent say how it happened. sounds like jus politricks to me  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 01:28:44 PM »
Like for me here in wuk, we have a 1 - 3 month policy to change yu password....If anyone from 1 and second level support come on yu machine it is mandatory to change yu password.  Yu password is alphanumeric and it have more dan a certain about of charactors which would make it a million different passwords if yu try to hack it....To hack one ah dese systems yu have to either be a brains or yu know what de password is, plain and simple......Dem men in Trini slack no a**.

Why dey doh hire me to do dey systems???   :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 01:53:44 PM »
I'm not an IT person, nor do I know anything about what it would require to hack into a computer but given the kind of viruses and ting people (teenagers) creatin, it doh song impossible tuh me.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 02:04:40 PM »
I'm not an IT person, nor do I know anything about what it would require to hack into a computer but given the kind of viruses and ting people (teenagers) creatin, it doh song impossible tuh me.

It's not impossible, especially if you are on the public domain...big companies like MS, Sony, even banks have been hacked. But that takes high tech software by the top hackers out there wit hvery powerful machines. In this case the machine in question was a stand alone machine, which was not on a public domain/network like the internet, so for someone to hack into it, they had to be physically present in front of the computer and had the proper tools and at least a couple hours to get into the machine if it was password protected. if it had no password then it would have taken only a minute to get in and a few minutes to get whatever data they was looking for.

Why dey doh hire me to do dey systems??? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

;D I did not know was wuk yuh looking for  :rotfl: you should jus send yuh resume  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 02:05:21 PM »

Yeah ah see yu point but creating a virus and hackin ah system is kinda different.  If I explain dis ah go have to kill yu LOL, but to create a virus is really not that hard.  But to get it beyond the system protection according to de place take a lot of work and time to do it right :rotfl: :beermug:

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 02:13:24 PM »

It's not impossible, especially if you are on the public domain...big companies like MS, Sony, even banks have been hacked. But that takes high tech software by the top hackers out there wit hvery powerful machines. In this case the machine in question was a stand alone machine, which was not on a public domain/network like the internet, so for someone to hack into it, they had to be physically present in front of the computer and had the proper tools and at least a couple hours to get into the machine if it was password protected. if it had no password then it would have taken only a minute to get in and a few minutes to get whatever data they was looking for.

Why dey doh hire me to do dey systems??? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

;D I did not know was wuk yuh looking for  :rotfl: you should jus send yuh resume  ;D

Big Up!

Dem doh have enough coin to pay me to clean up dey systems LOL.  To me to really hack a system dat is on a protected network really all yu need it time.  A few seconds to get behind de firewall to drop yu worm/hydra before de countermeasure are triggered, and once yu coding is clean and refined den yu ok.  It have more to it but dat is de basic jist of it.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 02:16:23 PM »

Yeah ah see yu point but creating a virus and hackin ah system is kinda different.  If I explain dis ah go have to kill yu LOL, but to create a virus is really not that hard.  But to get it beyond the system protection according to de place take a lot of work and time to do it right :rotfl: :beermug:

what ah was tryin tuh say is dat it have people out dere wid "talent". Using it fuh de rong ting mind you but.........
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 02:30:43 PM »
A stand alone machine, windows xp?
To get into that will take maybe 5 minutes with a disk, or a thumb drive.

Networked? well it depends, but most people are idiots when it comes to passwords.

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 02:57:10 PM »
Question:  who was the first computer hacker?

Ans: Eve ...... she had a Apple in one hand and a Wang in the other
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 03:11:35 PM »
Hacked yuh say?..yuh sure dem even have internet?  ;D
i sure the AG email address is Johnjeremie@yahoo.com  ;D
but seriuosly I doubt they have any sort of working network there..as somebody say it must be ah stand alone terminal...i just cant see them having a network in place and other important office services in ah mess.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 07:02:58 AM »

what ah was tryin tuh say is dat it have people out dere wid "talent". Using it fuh de rong ting mind you but.........

well she is not far from correct..a trojan is a type of virus.  Frequently, hackers use viruses to create holes in a computer network's security system—holes which are then used to get deeper inside that network. As ah general rue doh open email attachments from people yuh eh know. Even email attachments from friends should be approached with caution.  so coco eh far from de trute.

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 07:04:40 AM »
Hacked yuh say?..yuh sure dem even have internet?  ;D
i sure the AG email address is Johnjeremie@yahoo.com  ;D
but seriuosly I doubt they have any sort of working network there..as somebody say it must be ah stand alone terminal...i just cant see them having a network in place and other important office services in ah mess.

ah wonder what Panday email is?

bandit@treasury.tt.gov?

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 07:43:11 AM »
By hack what he is really trying to admit, is that he leave the computer on and somebody download all the files to a zip or flash drive and walk out the office.

Norton, McAfee are the easiest to use and have firewalls that anyone could set up, so don't give us that bull about yuh computer get hack.

Another spin on this might be the information was sold at a handsome price!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:11:01 AM by grskywalker »

1]; } ?>