April 29, 2024, 09:08:39 PM

Author Topic: Trinidad Dictionary please add entries  (Read 47648 times)

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Re: Trini Word of the day!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2007, 10:59:17 PM »
You have to PM it to the elected one first.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2007, 12:01:06 AM »
MAMAPOOL , a man who is a chump to his woman, and it could also mean a b@#ch a$$ man who like bacchanal and confusion like most of the canadian based chump a$$ dudes on this board. with the exception of a few, hold tight west coast much respect to you and TI, you didn't make the cut.    negative. :devil: :devil:

The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2007, 08:11:44 AM »
Please refrain adding words of the day with out permisson. we dont want the thread end up in mayhem. pm the word to my self or dcs.
the only other person allowed to post a word is QUEENIE. (yes i fraid she  :-[)
thanks a lot :)
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2007, 10:02:56 AM »
...so, ah come ein to get the Trini word of the day to write in meh copybook and umm

ah get Mamapool with 2 meanings.
1. a man who is a "chump" to his woman. The word "chump", isn't that american slang ? so what that doing there ?" So ah cyah write dat meaning in meh book.

2. it "could" also mean a bitch ass man who like bachannal and confusion. I see allyuh get single out too. What allyuh do just cool ???

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2007, 10:08:23 AM »
...so, ah come ein to get the Trini word of the day to write in meh copybook and umm

1. a man who is a "chump" to his woman. The word "chump", isn't that american slang ? so what that doing there ?" So ah cyah write dat meaning in meh book.

2. it "could" also mean a bitch ass man who like bachannal and confusion. I see allyuh get single out too. What allyuh do just cool ???

thats not the proper menaing or spelling of MAMA POULE.!!!
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2007, 10:10:14 AM »

thats not the proper menaing or spelling of MAMA POULE.!!!

well gimme it nah...allyuh have meh waiting like ah hmmm on allyuh >:(

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2007, 10:17:09 AM »
OFFICIAL TRINI WORD OF THE DAY!!!
Sunday 20th may 2007

Betouge- A tiny red parasite which clings to the body. It is usually seen on kids when they play in de grass.
eg. As a chile Dragon was infected with betouge often when he went out to feed the cows in the fields.

Bonus word of the day
breakfasses - the plural of breakfast.  
resource:  the hazel manning english dictionary  :devil:
we will now be supplying breakfasses to the children of the nation
thanks to soca chatter for the bonus word

Again i make an appeal to everyone NOT to post word of the days but to supply them to dcs or my self.
doh make meh have to talk to de illumanti, lets try to keep the thread controlled so we can learn n fetch we kicks.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2007, 10:30:28 AM »
Feel free to post any word. You have to post the meaning also. If u dont know it, then i am sure help will be forth coming from fello forumites.
1st entry

Gayippe- gayap
Patios. An undertaking by friends and comrades to work together for the benefit of one. The ways homes were built in the old days, with contributed labour.
John Mendes
can any one add a word, or dat is not copasetick?  ;D

Word of the day - Sunday May 20th 2007

Copasetick.......OK

Sorry, But I did follow the rules set out in de first post of this thread
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2007, 10:34:22 AM »
Feel free to post any word. You have to post the meaning also. If u dont know it, then i am sure help will be forth coming from fello forumites.
1st entry

Gayippe- gayap
Patios. An undertaking by friends and comrades to work together for the benefit of one. The ways homes were built in the old days, with contributed labour.
John Mendes
can any one add a word, or dat is not copasetick?  ;D

Word of the day - Saturday May 20th 2007

Copasetick.......OK

Sorry, But I did follow the rules set out in de first post of this thread

TTT then suggetsed in order for it not to get outta it hsould be voted on.
I think the words should be PMed to a certain person then posted here on de board on the day selected. If not this post would become useless. It needs to be controlled.
good idea ttt.. allyuh pm meh de words day before and dcs and my self will decide what the word of de day is!!!! words hadda be in by 7 the night ebfore please:)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2007, 10:41:05 AM »
Cool, did not read all the posts in the thread.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2007, 11:14:37 AM »

How about

FRESHWATERMACOMEH:
Noun  & Verb
A male who harbours online grudges like a woman and makes veiled negative references to his percieved combatants at every available opportunity in order to inflate his brittle ego.

How allyuh mean dat is not ah trini word?...ah man in moruga...or was it manhattan tell mih dat?  ;D
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2007, 11:17:08 AM »

How about

FRESHWATERMACOMEH:
Noun  & Verb
A male who harbours online grudges like a woman and makes veiled negative references to his percieved combatants at every available opportunity in order to inflate his brittle ego.

How allyuh mean dat is not ah trini word?...ah man in moruga...or was it manhattan tell mih dat?  ;D
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2007, 11:17:43 AM »

How about

FRESHWATERMACOMEH:
Noun  & Verb

why ah feel like i gonna use that freshwatermacomeh word eventually and quite often in here

thanks dutty, but before PH buss ya head, follow dey man rules nah :rotfl:

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2007, 11:23:51 AM »

How about

FRESHWATERMACOMEH:
Noun  & Verb

why ah feel like i gonna use that freshwatermacomeh word eventually and quite often in here

nah cana allow dutty de man get it right...lol..make an allowance especially sinc ei think dais a new word ind e trini dictionary..lol...
is no wey any threa din this aplce could not be cause some ole talk...no matter hwo ahrd some one trues....
got to liek allyuh people oui

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2007, 11:26:19 AM »

Look Organic correcting man on spelling   ::)

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2007, 11:27:19 AM »

:P :P :P

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2007, 11:31:58 AM »

How about

FRESHWATERMACOMEH:
Noun  & Verb

nah cana allow dutty de man get it right...lol..make an allowance especially sinc ei think dais a new word ind e trini dictionary..lol...
is no wey any threa din this aplce could not be cause some ole talk...no matter hwo ahrd some one trues....
got to liek allyuh people oui

oh gorm PH gimme some credit nah...
but ah still like dey and meanin

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2007, 12:08:55 PM »

:rotfl: what next!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2007, 12:45:18 PM »

Nah I go follow de rules too. Next ting you know, PH sending pohlice to my door wid summons for word mismangement. I knows my place.

Dutty? Nah, we have to work on dat word. Ah like whey yuh going wid it...we could have fun.

Pointman, back to we ole talk...yuh ever hear de word macmere femme? Dat is de right word for a gay male, not macoomere man like how ah hear people saying.

~~~~

One more thing. The way I spell my nom de plume is phonetic only eh? Doh spell macomere the way my name is 'macoomeh'. Doh get tie up.
We have to remember, spelling a word wrong does not make it our patois. There is an underlying thread and etymology to the words.
Would love to see more of our creole used. We losing it fast! Even the Lucian, Dominican or Haitian creole is different.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 12:52:50 PM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2007, 05:58:46 PM »
Ah struck ah nerve or what, since when folks so concern bout proper grammar on this board. and the word means just dat!! a man who soft with him woman and does get beat up and buff by him gyul, and also man wid gyul behavior just like dutty and hoe!!!                                                                                                                                                                                      PS. i didn't ask to come to the US. my parants braught me here. so if you want to call me fresh water be my guest. at least i don't feel like i better than no one!! and i don't kiss ass.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2007, 08:50:12 PM »

Nah I go follow de rules too. Next ting you know, PH sending pohlice to my door wid summons for word mismangement. I knows my place.

Dutty? Nah, we have to work on dat word. Ah like whey yuh going wid it...we could have fun.

Pointman, back to we ole talk...yuh ever hear de word macomere femme? Dat is de right word for a gay male, not macoomere man like how ah hear people saying.

~~~~

One more thing. The way I spell my nom de plume is phonetic only eh? Doh spell macomere the way my name is 'macoomeh'. Doh get tie up.
We have to remember, spelling a word wrong does not make it our patois. There is an underlying thread and etymology to the words.
Would love to see more of our creole used. We losing it fast! Even the Lucian, Dominican or Haitian creole is different.

Queen, yes maco, macomere femme or macomereman are all words used for "gay male" and Lucian, Dominican and Haitian patois/Kreol are all different just like Dominican Rep, Puertorican and Cuban Spanish is slightly different; but the Lucians, Dominicans , Haitians and Trinis (ki parle Patois) can all pretty much understand one another.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2007, 06:38:40 AM »
Monday, 21ST May 2007
Caiou
Pronounced -Kyow
A special type of pitching marble used in the game. Also called Tor.
I have also heard it used derogatorily to wards someone- he is a real Caiou boy .
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 09:35:42 AM by PH »

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2007, 09:26:21 AM »
used in the what?

Never heard this word, heard of 'tor' though

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trini Word/Phrase of the day!!!
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2007, 06:43:02 AM »
Tuesday 22nd May 2007

Dhantal-East indian precussion instrument consisting of a length of rod and a "U" shaped metal striker. INvented in TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO by indentured east indian immigrants.

One of the instruments that Parang star leon coldero can play  :D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 06:00:08 PM by PH »

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2007, 04:26:23 PM »

Invented in T&T?
When?

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2007, 05:27:20 PM »
Monday 22nd May 2007

Dhantal-East indian precussion instrument consisting of a length of rod and a "U" shaped metal striker. INvented in TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO by indentured east indian immigrants.

One of the instruments that Parang star leon coldero can play  :D

ah tort today was TUESDAY oui  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2007, 01:54:00 AM »
http://www.hinduismtoday.com/archives/2000/9-10/2000-9-22.shtml

Indian Arrival Day Fest
Food and music spice up the celebration
By Anil Mahabir

Indian arrival day festivities on May 30 celebrated the 155th anniversary of the arrival of East Indians to Trinidad. The festivities include aspects of Trinidad culture which are original products of Indians here. The dhantal, a musical instrument, and "doubles," a spicy Indo-Trinidadian dish, cannot be found elsewhere in the world, except, perhaps, in areas where Trinidadians have migrated.

The dhantal, which sounds like a beautiful bell, was invented in Trinidad and Tobago over 100 years ago. It originated from the rhythmic beat of a discarded horseshoe and crowbar or piece of straight steel about three feet long, common materials found on the sugar plantations where many Indians worked. Soon, the dhantal, as it came to be called, became a primary instrument in local devotional Indian singing.

Trinidadian Indian food also took on a creative twist with "doubles." Doubles is a local delicacy regarded as the national dish of Trinidad. It is made of curried chickpeas sandwiched between two pieces of fried flatbread, topped off with chutneys and spices. It is the number one choice for fastfood and breakfast. It costs only one Trindadian dollar (us$0.18) and just two can fulfill the desires of any glutton.

Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2007, 05:36:00 AM »
Monday, 21ST May 2007
Caiou
Pronounced -Kyow
A special type of pitching marble used in the game. Also called Tor.
I have also heard it used derogatorily to wards someone- he is a real Caiou boy .
Hahaha yah lie ,wont beleive ,ah wanted to post that word,but did not know the spelling  :rotfl:  :rotfl: b .Jed ah tink daiz ah Pinto road word dey ,invented in the early 90 s lol

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2007, 07:33:06 AM »
Wednesday 23rd May 2007
Explashiate- to lash out. to be most vocal in one's comments. To bring orf. To go on and on.
Usage. TT and Ti are 2 forumites known to frequently Explashiate during discussions, 8) 8)

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2007, 10:12:51 AM »
Thursday 24th May 2007
Tabanca-The forlon feeling that one gets when a love affair if over.
Usage. The tabanca grande suffered caused him to lose weight and appear marasme  ;D

Tarange, Foofooroo- the second and third stages of tabnca respectivley

THANKS TO BROWNSUGAR FOR THE WORD OF THE DAY!!!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 10:36:33 AM by PH »

1]; } ?>