April 28, 2024, 03:11:36 PM

Author Topic: Edwards transfer under probe. Mike Berry in hot water ?  (Read 6786 times)

Offline royalian

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Edwards transfer under probe. Mike Berry in hot water ?
« on: May 17, 2007, 07:28:45 AM »
Edwards transfer under probe.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Warriors' agent on alleged 'bung' list.

Trinidad and Tobago football star Carlos Edwards had a queue of interested Championship Division suitors when he left League Two club, Wrexham, on a free transfer in 2005. He chose then newly promoted Luton Town.
But, two years later, the English Football Association is probing the financial benefit of Edwards' move for his English agent, Mike Berry.
The British Daily Mail newspaper yesterday published a list of seven transfers conducted by Luton Town that allegedly involved "illegal payments" and Edwards' move was the most lucrative of them all.
Mail journalist Bob Graham claimed that former Luton Town chairman Bill Tomlins admitted to a string of illegal payments to agents including a £44,500 fee (TT$551,507) to Berry to ensure that Edwards signed for the "Hatters". The club books showed a £51,000 (TT$632,064) payment to Berry but Tomlin revealed that the complete figure was closer to £95,500 (TT$1,183,571).
Tomlin, who resigned as Luton chairman last month, publicly rowed with former manager Mike Newell after his assertion that corruption was rife in British transfers. Luton sacked Newell, two months ago, for gross misconduct after "two written warnings about his frequent profanity and outspoken behaviour".
Berry, who represented four "Soca Warriors" at the 2006 World Cup and held a position on the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation's (T&TFF) 2006 LOC, admitted that he accepted an unspecified sum as a "consultancy fee" from Luton after advice from his solicitor. The money was paid by one of the club's holding companies.
"When I did my transaction to take Carlos to Luton, I agreed a £95,000 finder's fee for bringing him to the club," Berry told the Mail. "There were, at the time, a number of other clubs chasing Carlos, so the way it was agreed I would be paid was £51,000 plus an enhancement I was not worried who paid me, just as long as I got paid
"I filled in the forms required by the football authorities in relation to the fee of £51,000. Bill Tomlins said he wanted to pay the rest as a consultancy fee. I wasn't happy with that and I wondered why the fee had been split like that.
"I spoke to my solicitor about it. I didn't declare this amount to the authorities, but accepted it as a consultancy fee."
Berry told the Daily Express, yesterday, that he stood by his statement to the Daily Mail. Edwards, who joined Sunderland in January and was pivotal in the club's climb to the England Premiership, could not be reached for comment.
If proven, the illegal payments could result in a fine or points deduction for Luton who were relegated from the Championship. It is uncertain whether Berry would also face sanctions. The Englishman, who represents Edwards, Dennis Lawrence, Clayton Ince, Jason Scotland and Hector Sam, has plenty on his plate.
Today, Berry faces the British courts to hear a complaint filed by his former player and Trinidad and Tobago's World Cup custodian Kelvin Jack concerning their previous professional relationship.
Jack told the Daily Express that he signed a contract with Berry that allowed the agent to receive 10 per cent of his basic wages, which is double the maximum amount stipulated by FIFA.
"It was just a lack of knowledge (on my part) as well as you are desperate to get out and play in the UK," said the Gillingham goalkeeper. "It was only when I got out there that I realised I was paying well over the odds."
Another senior Warrior alleged that he paid five per cent of his basic wage to Berry for a successful work permit application although the procedure usually carries no cost. He claimed Berry had initially requested 10 percent.
"I was stuck between a rock and a hard place," said the World Cup player. "He wasn't supposed to charge for it but, if I didn't agree, he wouldn't have helped me get my work permit."
The player insisted that Berry still charged his players 10 per cent of their basic wage although he also received payment from clubs for his work.
Berry retorted that it was no one's business but his own.
"Whatever I take from my players is between me and my players," Berry told the Daily Express. "I don't discuss my business with you or anyone else."
Another British agent, Steve Davis, disagreed. Davis recently brokered a deal with Premiership team, Portsmouth, for the CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh trio of Lester Peltier, Atullah Guerra and Khaleem Hyland but insisted that he would not take a cent from the players for his work.
"Ethically, it is wrong to take money from a player," said Davis. "If you are a good agent, you do not need to take money from a player; you make it from the (buying) club.
"I keep saying to my players 'listen, you don't work for the agents, the agents work for you'."
He insisted that both parties were culpable in an arrangement that sees the agent charge the club for a transfer and then demand an annual fee from his player.
"I think it is totally wrong and I told (agent named) that to his face," said Davis. "But why did the players sign that? If players are stupid enough to sign a contract giving away 10 per cent of their wages, then whose fault is that?
"I think the (Trinidad and Tobago) players should seek advice. You have someone like Jack Warner on the island so surely they can seek advice from FIFA. (An agent) cannot accept a fee from both parties, inadvertently or otherwise, and if FIFA got hold of that he will be taken to court."
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 09:29:20 AM by Flex »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Mike Berry in hot water?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 07:42:07 AM »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Edwards transfer under probe. Mike Berry in hot water ?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 08:30:09 AM »
Look ting!! :o :o

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 09:49:27 AM »
for the little bit i read Carlos is not the one to blame cause he had nothing to do with the arangements he made with his club and the agent. is the agent and the club to deal with that with FIFA and teh Courts....... :beermug:
All American

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 09:59:49 AM »
Edwards transfer under probe.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Warriors' agent on alleged 'bung' list.

You have someone like Jack Warner on the island so surely they can seek advice from FIFA. (An agent) cannot accept a fee from both parties, inadvertently or otherwise, and if FIFA got hold of that he will be taken to court."

Look who he say the players should turn to for advice...... :o :o.....de grand ole Tief heself.... ::)

But dis is bacchanal!!!!! Papayo.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 10:37:51 AM »
"I think the (Trinidad and Tobago) players should seek advice. You have someone like Jack Warner on the island so surely they can seek advice from FIFA. (An agent) cannot accept a fee from both parties, inadvertently or otherwise, and if FIFA got hold of that he will be taken to court."

De man say ask Jack Warner... ....  :devil:

Lasana is just a class act... he real good......

And I taught Mike Berry had our players at heart.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 10:41:08 AM »

Berry not supporting the strike so they going after him.

Timing is everything.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 11:03:29 AM »
Coming out of the darkness.  He not supporting the "renegades" cause he sees a lot of longterm structural developments on the players' side that could eat into his possible earnings.  This man milking our ignorant players, and if the players union really develops as it should, then this sort of thing will be averted in the future.  They really need to work with their English counterparts for technical expertise. 

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 11:08:50 AM »

Yea he need to get his house in order....but at the same time he gave a whole heap of them opportunities when no-one else was looking.  If he was wrong to take 10% he should just pay it back and avoid the court case.

FPATT will ensure everyting is above board and in line from now I hope.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 11:49:16 AM »

Timing is everything.

WHAT SHIT....

Is the Luton chairman come out and call de man out....
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 12:00:42 PM »

Timing is everything.

WHAT SHIT....

Is the Luton chairman come out and call de man out....

Lawsuit from Kelvin Jack..relax
It could be the other around...again depending on the timing...maybe he wasn't supporting them because he knew about the lawsuit.  Either way is not coincidence.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 12:32:57 PM by dcs »

Offline onegaryrowell

• New Warrior
  • F.T.M.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 12:47:31 PM »
If thats true it f*****g stinks man, we payed Luton £1. 5 m for Edwards worth every penny the mans a star, but why should some geedy agent  with no talent be able to milk money from the deals. If we payed that sort of money then it was obvios the man has talent and the Welsh club should have got a better price for his contract,. I hate agents, almost as much as I hate N***c*stle!
F.T.M.

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 01:33:44 PM »
This is exactly the area that FPATT see they can make a difference. With all due respect to those involved, players from the Caribbean, Africa, asia and Eastern Europe are still naive in this area. Think about it. If a player gets offered £1,000 per week by an agent, thats $13,000TT PER WEEK! If the agent says you got to give him$1,300 p.w., you'd jump at it. All that gravy and a chance of making the big timein England. They don't tell you that it will cost $13,000TT p.m.to buy a house!!

Agents have worked out how they can milk this system.  It is really tough to get an agents licence now in England, but they can't do much about ones who already have licences, except toughen up investigations.

Hopefully, FPATT will campaign for a rigourous licence system for agents wanting to operate in T&T. 

The players can't be blamed for being naive, and Mike Berry is charging what he feels is fair. However, the more this kind of scandel hits the news, the more players will be careful. Unfortunately, this stuff gets into the news a lot in Europe, but of course, its only of interest to the media in T&T if it involves T&T players.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 03:55:42 PM »
With all this controversy…all it does is make Carlos Edwards much more marketable.  ;D
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 05:09:08 PM »
Dis is some serious corruption boy! When yuh tight wit' Jackula yuh could bet yuh bottom dullah dat sumting fishy goin' on dread. From de time I hear last year that he Berry was linked to de TTFF ah start to geh worried but ah didn't say nutten. But it had to happen. Watch nah, in dis rounds, yuh have to geh educated about life, money and de tough world out dey. Liff yuh head out of de playstation and Xbox screen and smell de corfee or else monkey smoke......Ummm hmmm
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 06:48:32 PM »
Dis is some serious corruption boy! When yuh tight wit' Jackula yuh could bet yuh bottom dullah dat sumting fishy goin' on dread. From de time I hear last year that he Berry was linked to de TTFF ah start to geh worried but ah didn't say nutten. But it had to happen. Watch nah, in dis rounds, yuh have to geh educated about life, money and de tough world out dey. Liff yuh head out of de playstation and Xbox screen and smell de corfee or else monkey smoke......Ummm hmmm

So dreamer is jes a big mafia oui. He say they should go to Jack for some action when at the same time Berry with TTFF them. Oh god look ting.  ;D
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 07:09:33 PM »
Touches, not sure if this is just a coincidence or not, but I do know that Brent and Kelvin are feeling the pressure. remember this: foreign players have to play a high percentage of their nations international (75% I think) or they will not have work permit renewed. This is the kinda thing that keeps you awake at night, you know?.

Don't think JW doesn't know this-its part of the pressure to back down. Regardless of the court case, getting involved with FPATT could end their careers abroad.

So when you see these other guys back down, remember it may not just be about money, maybe they're scared they'll never play for the warriors again.

But this only makes the other guys more determined. this kind of power should not be available to TTFF. It's nothing more than schoolyard bullying.

Funny how the players who backed down are represented by a guy who got paid by TTFF to attend the world cup. Who does he really represent?  The phrase "conflict of interest" springs to mind. Don't think anywhere else in the world a man can represent both player and employer.
 If you take the Kings shilling you fight for the King.

As Dreamer said, you reap what you sow, and harvest time is coming.

Don't wanna say I told you so......

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 07:12:11 PM »
can't be that difficult, Skins. Think the hardest part is covering your tracks!!

Its real easy to rob a bank, its getting away without being caught thats difficult!!

..........but, I told you so lol

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 11:16:07 PM »
L-ASS-ana needs to move on!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 04:42:58 AM »
De man say ask Jack Warner... ....  :devil:
Lasana is just a class act... he real good......
And I taught Mike Berry had our players at heart.
Sam, he hanging wid JAW so is money talks first man.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 08:49:21 AM »
The article should be entitled why we need FPATT.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 10:05:05 AM »
It's interesting to see that people are realising that FPATT isn't about getting the blacklisted players their money (as some posts seemed to suggest a few weeks ago).

This really is a turning point in Trinidad and Tobagos football history.

Its no accident that there are FPATT events at this time. The planning has been in place to make sure there is maximum impact. JW is using the media to get his views across in interviews concerning the Gold Cup and U17s triumph. FPATT were waiting to answer his claims. Now he's seen FPATT organise the fun day and the Trotman match, he's had to come up with the Digicel Shield. Make no mistake these guys are under pressure and they must be cussin FPATTs every move.

When the blacklisted players line up on sunday in the National Stadium, in FPATT kits, with pro league players and celebtities, with the FPATT anthem playing out, with 10,000 plus supporters, its gonna hurt soooooooo bad!

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 03:00:47 PM »
he only in hot water because certain people didnt profit from these deals.GOOD MEN DIE WHILE " RATS" GET FAT.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 04:06:13 PM »
It's interesting to see that people are realising that FPATT isn't about getting the blacklisted players their money (as some posts seemed to suggest a few weeks ago).

This really is a turning point in Trinidad and Tobagos football history.

Its no accident that there are FPATT events at this time. The planning has been in place to make sure there is maximum impact. JW is using the media to get his views across in interviews concerning the Gold Cup and U17s triumph. FPATT were waiting to answer his claims. Now he's seen FPATT organise the fun day and the Trotman match, he's had to come up with the Digicel Shield. Make no mistake these guys are under pressure and they must be cussin FPATTs every move.

When the blacklisted players line up on sunday in the National Stadium, in FPATT kits, with pro league players and celebtities, with the FPATT anthem playing out, with 10,000 plus supporters, its gonna hurt soooooooo bad!

A nex' borse perspective from KSM. Dread, yuh analysis is spot on, maybe a li'l overoptimistic wit' de 10,000 talk, but daiz de goal anyway. I personally would be overjoyed to see 10,000 supporters and well-wishers

Ah now ketch wha' goin' on wit de Digicel Shield  >:( . Is a Jackula counterattack move den  :thinking: :waiting:  So wait nah, If Jackula telling SF (Press officer) to fabricate some articles to brainwash us in to believing dat Yorkie playing in dis pseudo big-up Digicel Shield, then daiz probably a hoax because many reports say Yorkie eh know nurtten about dat.

In any case,Yorkie reading dis board an done see de play, so he eh even answerin' he cell phone when Jackula, SF, Rodent and Scamps call, begging to suddenly honour him :rotfl: De same Yorkie who helped organize de revolt!  Papayo! Yes, yes, yes. Trickery, treachery and tomfoolery.

Boy, dese fellahs real sick wit' dey conspiracies dread. But guess what? Sancho, Jack (not ula), Stern and the others real on top o' dey game too as they playing de chess game good right now. Jackula want to carry dis right to de wire hopin' dat de blacklisted warriors crack. Well is a new awareness hitting de land at least in dis football arena and FPATT looks like, as KSM say, ready to create a true turning point, I dare say fist turning point, in T&T history.  :challenge: :praying: :whip:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2007, 03:37:06 PM »
I eh understanding this to much.

Is Berry taking 10% of the players wages every time they get paid or is this a one time fee ?

Can the player contracted to Berry find another agent or are they in Berry's death for life.

If Mike Berry taking 10% of players wages then he have no dam shame, he need a bull pistle, he taking local Trinis for assholes. Imagine what players like Hector Sam and Josh Johnson taking home.... pure selfish on Berry's half...

I am dissappointed on players who have been aboard for so long like Yorke, Latapy, Stern John, Carlos Edwards etc etc... who didn't even have de respect to lend a hand to players in T&T, some decent advice to these players would have helped them so much.

I think we need an agent like Ronnie Mauge or Ian Cox, they may have a little more heart than Berry. What a greddy man he is. I feel sorry for John Johnson, I hear de man catching he royal ass.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>