April 28, 2024, 09:15:08 PM

Author Topic: Warner: No help from Govt for T&T football  (Read 4407 times)

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
Warner: No help from Govt for T&T football
« on: May 17, 2007, 08:37:37 AM »
Warner: No help from Govt for T&T football

Anna Ramdass aramdass@trinidadexpress.com

Thursday, May 17th 2007

paying: Jack Warner 

Deputy Political Leader of the UNC and Vice President of FIFA Jack Warner has said that once again the burden of grooming the country's football team for the World Cup rests on his shoulders as he has received no help from Government.

At the UNC Monday night meeting at the Diego Martin Secondary School Warner said that he had paid the salaries of the coaches from last July to March of this year.

He said they had not been paid for two months.

Warner said he has been appealing to Sports Minister Roger Boynes for help but to no avail.

He said when the team qualified, Culture Minister Joan Yuille-Williams and an entourage went to the Piarco International Airport to greet the team.

"The government did not even pay their passage for them to go to Jamaica...they don't even know the cost," said Warner

Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
Re: Warner: No help from Govt for T&T football
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 08:39:37 AM »
here we go again..... >:(

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 09:24:39 AM »
Yuh know everytime dis man open he mouth I does get confused....  ??? :frustrated:

Some body....No Dreamer....(ah nominating yuh...;D)......it must have a thread somewhere on dis forum about de last setta money de government pay the other day (really about 2-3 months ago)....

Remember around de time when we say Roger Boynes blink and he should not have paid de money.....
Wasn't that money supposed to take care of salaries from last year to now....like ah say ah confused and ah probably have it wrong......

So find de thread fuh mih nah, please Dreamer dear and let me read it again.....before ah make ah comment....cuz de government must have paid for something esle and ah just cyar keep track no more....
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 09:49:15 AM by brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 10:09:48 AM »
Please, guys, don.t ever get confused when Jack speak. The man has always been consistent with his double speak. He knows and we know  why the gov't will not give him a blank cheque. Keep him right dey!!

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 10:58:20 AM »
I agree with the Government - don't give the TTFF a f**king cent. As long as FIFA policy states that governments should not be involved in federation affairs, then no Tax Payers $$$.

If our national teams perform well in competition, and the Government on behalf of the people want to give them (the team ) awards etc, that's fine.

What I will like to see Goverment do is put more $$$ into our elementary and high school sports programs, that will be of greater benefit to our local 'ballers. It means that we will see a better athlete at the local pro level, and we will have a greater number of players receiving quality foreign pro contracts (the key word there is quality).

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 11:39:29 AM »
Please, guys, don.t ever get confused when Jack speak. The man has always been consistent with his double speak. He knows and we know  why the gov't will not give him a blank cheque. Keep him right dey!!

Austin does tork in ti-tounges...he probably mean de gov gih we plenty money, buh we spen it on drinks

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 11:43:54 AM »

Austin does tork in ti-tounges...he probably mean de gov gih we plenty money, buh we spen it on drinks
  :rotfl: :rotfl: alyuh does rel make me laugh yes  :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 11:57:14 AM »
The master tactician at work again,you all still believe Yorke and them fellas coming to play for T&T?i told you all just don't look at things on the surface,those guys going to play without getting the money promised them for the WC and Jack start with the government again,it's like if those guys don't play is the government fault not his(politics)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 12:46:41 PM »
Could any one on dis forum tell mih how Federations in other countries raise funds for their football programmes.....do they depend on their governments all the time?...(ah know we is de only one dat have a Special Advisor)....

Or is it that we just have this monkey on we back name Jackula.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 02:07:27 PM »
Obviously in England theres huge revenue from TV deals. Also they do massive sponsorship deals (Carling Cup, Barclays Premier League, Johnsons Paint Trophy). They have a successful marketing arm which uses football and players in advertising and promotional deals.
Then the clubs pay a percentage of gate money, percentage of transfer fees, and (I think) a membership fee.

FIFA pay countries to participate in tournaments and also a percentage of television rights.

The biggest obstacle facing football in T&T is that currently there is not a wide global interest in the pro league. Therefore the big global sponsors have no commercial benefits from ploughing money into the pro league.

This is why LA paid so much for Beckham. I bet they have already covered his years salary with sponsorship deals.

As I see it, we need to see a millionaire chairman buying one of the clubs. He can then attract some foreign players into the game. Not only will this bring money, but it would help to raise the standard of the game and aid in the development of the youngsters, and maybe keep some of the top players at home.

In know if I was Roman Abromovich,I'd rather be watching football in the sunshine than on a cold wet tuesday in Wigan lol

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 05:10:19 PM »
Two sides to a story:

1.  The TTFF needs to really show some accountability and operate as a business entity.  Find ways to generate revenue for development and and operations.

2.  The PNM clearly views the TTFF as Warner's and our football is suffering as a result.  What happen to Manning's speech after the team returned from Germany.  I know Jack needs to get out of running our football, but the gov't did make a promise which it is dragging its feet to honor.

This is a tug-of-war between Warner and the PNM, and our football is missing the chance to really build on a decent representation in Germany.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 05:45:01 PM »
If Lincoln could sit dong, draw up a 3 yr plan cool cool, make up a budget and submit it to govt to fund, why Jackula cyah do dat. Say wha' de money is for and then rightly complain why yuh eh geh de money. Steeuuppppsss!  >:(

And where is de Germany morney!  >:(
Where de Adidas morney gorn.
Where de TV rights morney gorn
Where de FIFA morney went
How much morney de under 17 geh fuh qualifying for Korea?
Whey de books. Who is de accountant.
How much Sportsmax paying?
How much Digicel paying?
Say it now! How much will T&T get if we reach de quartefinal, semifinal in de Gold Cup?
Why de secret?
Why not open de damn book?
What de thytongue TheeThee F F have to hide  >:(

What is Scamps salary.
What is Rodent salary
What is Jackula being paid as spethial advithor
What is SF de TTFF press officer being paid
How much of da blood sweat and tears morney is going into trips fuh de boys
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:33:47 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 06:59:41 PM »
Thank you dreamer meh boy. You have thrown every question I have asked myself. how Jack want the people money to be spent and he doh want open the TTFF books for no one. When Government ask for the books last year de man say he don't have to show nobody books because TTFF is not a public entity. So I say F..k he and he books and leave dem dey. No books no money end of story.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 07:26:27 PM »
Some good stuff being laid down here tonite.

Think Tenorsaw got a point. a dollar for TTFF is a vote for JW. You can understand why they don't want to support TTFF. What I don't understand is why they don't just send in a fraud investigation team. If they can find evidence of wrongdoings, they could finish JW overnight. Party politics should not be involved in sport. FIFA state that football is non political. So Jack should decide if he's a politician or a sports administrator. He can still work for Concacaf and FIFA, but he should cut all ties with TTFF FOR THE GOOD OF THE GAME as FIFA often quote.

One question you didn't ask, Dreamer, that is particularly pertinent now:-

How much has Mike Berry been paid by TTFF???

TTFF must be forced to open their books. As I've said before, they are either really crap with money, or something is not quite right. When you work your budgets, you look at whats coming in and then decide how to spend it. That certainly doesn't seem the case over the last year with TTFF.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 07:56:30 PM »
stewps....

Of course... he don't want them to pay... he wants to pay...

In fifa if you pull money out of your own pocket to "develop" football you more than get your money back...

These top Fifa officials simply sign huge checks to eachother with their propaganda slurred ink.

It's so f**king redundant.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 10:11:43 PM »
I  tired of this same old story. The TTFF only want title they ain't want none of the responsibility that goes along with it. The gov't should demand that TTFF draft a plan that is geared towards independence.

Don't give a  man a fish teach him how to fish and he will be much better off.
No more handouts for the TTFF that is encouraging laziness, ineptitude and corruption. Let the TTFF tighten they belt and hold strain. Unfortunatley  the players and sport will suffer but it getting rediculous. It have other sports in Trinidad.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 02:17:09 AM »
I  tired of this same old story. The TTFF only want title they ain't want none of the responsibility that goes along with it. The gov't should demand that TTFF draft a plan that is geared towards independence.

Don't give a  man a fish teach him how to fish and he will be much better off.
No more handouts for the TTFF that is encouraging laziness, ineptitude and corruption. Let the TTFF tighten they belt and hold strain. Unfortunatley  the players and sport will suffer but it getting rediculous. It have other sports in Trinidad.

Name 1 team sport that surviving and flourishing in Trinidad without Government support.

The reason why TTFF will not give GOTT an audited account is because of the massive repayment of loans that it will show to Jack .
Jack moneyrolling TTFF for quite sometime now but unlike what he will have the masses believe , I'm sure that everytime TTFF land a sponsorship or earn TV fees and prize money etc, a big portion have to be paid back to the man with a good interest rate too!
Maybe this is where all the payments Dreamer talking about went.
Jack have TTFF in a real grip and I would not be surprised if it is not legal also (the loans and repayments).
So in a sense I agree with the sentiment here ... no money until Jack get out of it. But that is a vicious cycle , because everytime Jack dig in his pockets and pay the TTFF going deeper and deeper into debt to him.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 03:13:44 AM »
Maybe Fishs is right about Jack. There can be no doubt that he has kept the TTFF afloat, in much the same way a pimp keeps his hoe's in the stable. All the time they owe,they can't go.

First rule of finance is don't borrow to get out of debt, but if you do, make sure the terms are in your interest.

I think an audit should be ordered. From the results of this, the following should happen:-

If, indeed, the TTFF owe money to Jack, either the govt or a wealthy businessman or company should pay Jack back with an interest free loan, perhaps as part of a Federation wide sponsorship deal.

Then an auditor should look at the salaries these guys are on. Wouldn't mind betting there's some fat cats getting an awful big bowl of cream. Get rid of the dead wood, hangers on and restructure the salary structure. This may mean that some guys have to sit out their contracts.

Install new administrators who actually put football first. This is not a club for the boys any more. It should be run professionally. There should be performance bonuses, not huge salaries. If you don't meet budget targets etc, you get no bonus and eventually the sack.

When you're in financial difficulty, you need to consolidate, cut back and plan your way out, not just keep borrowing more.

Footballis the peoples game. TTFF treat it like their private kingdom. There should be more oversight, more checks and balances and more public information.

Restructure the whole

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 04:23:49 AM »
KentSoulMan, great post there.
its like that sweet  ::) uncle that some have eluded too
Maybe Fishs is right about Jack. There can be no doubt that he has kept the TTFF afloat, in much the same way a pimp keeps his hoe's in the stable. All the time they owe,they can't go.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 04:29:03 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 08:54:26 AM »
Why of why do somebody beside Lisana do some wulk as a journalist and ask Dreamer questions. How come every thing the gov't have to do the TTFF eh have an income side in their Balance Sheet is only expenditure? I tired ah the same ting ovah and ovah.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline true warrior

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 07:41:52 AM »
an audit should be ordered.

How much morney de under 17 geh fuh qualifying for Korea?Whey de books. Who is de accountant.
How much Sportsmax paying?
How much Digicel paying?
Say it now! How much will T&T get if we reach de quartefinal, semifinal in de Gold Cup?
What is Scamps salary.
What is Rodent salary
What is Jackula being paid as spethial advithor
What is SF de TTFF press officer being paid
How much of da blood sweat and tears morney is going into trips fuh de boys

Its straight and simple, TTFF has nothing to hide, ent??

Press Officer.....publish all the financial statements for TTFF for the year 2005-2006 in the Express, Newsday and Guardian.  Ah don talk. >:(

1]; } ?>