April 27, 2024, 02:42:45 AM

Author Topic: Romário Finally Scores Thousandth Goal!  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Romário Finally Scores Thousandth Goal!
« on: May 20, 2007, 06:22:13 PM »

Rio de Janeiro was split between a combination of sadness, joy and relief that the legendary number 11 finally scored the thousandth goal that he’s been gunning for before hanging his battered boots up…and then promptly changed his mind about retiring so soon...

41 year-old Romário netted the landmark goal four minutes into the second half of the Brasileirão (Brazilian first division) match that pitted his Vasco da Gama against returning northerners Sport.

The Baixinho (Shorty) scored from the penalty spot in the 3-0 Bacalhau win at their home São Januário ground. 

The previous attempts had seen the scene shift to municipal coliseum Maracanã, but the veteran had failed to score in the last five attempts there.

“It’s a historic landmark, not only for me, but for my parents, my family, my friends and for Brazil as a whole. It was God who wanted the goal to go in today. “

“I ran a lot after this particular goal, but He had his own ideas”, underlined the idiosyncratic number 11.

The player beat visiting goalie Magrão and, as expected, play was paralysed for a celebration as the terraces exploded and members of Romário's family joined the overwhelmed man himself on the São Januário turf.

In total play stopped for close to twenty minutes as Vasco President Eurico Miranda came down with the rest of the Vasco top brass to pay homage to Romário.

“This is a very special moment in my life and Id like to dedicate this last goal to my children and thank my parents and everybody else who is present here tonight”, thanked a visibly moved Romário, crying openly.

“I cant say much now, it’s all too much, but later on I’ll say more.  For now, thank you.  Thank all of you”, he added.

The world could look back on the 20th of May 2007 as the day that a legend netted the thousandth goal of a glittering career that is now over...until the legend announced that he was coming back in the mould of the Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd.

Now what remains to be seen is how long he keeps on going - and where.  there are many who, like the dinosaurs of rock, would pay handsomely to count on Romários services.

It could be the first of a series of farewells, with fans split between annoyance and admiration that the man who has launched a thousand kick-offs continues...

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=308185

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Romário Finally Scores Thousandth Goal!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 04:17:40 AM »
There will be enough Romario haters out there, but the man had a dream and achieve it. He can still play, even if he is not the player he once was. He certainly didn't look washed-up playing in the A-League. Good for him. I figured he'd end up in MLS poaching goals, or running in small circles on the pitch like Valderama.

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 05:34:54 AM »
I can't hate the man who first make me dream about football, but that 1000 thing is still a rip off...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 05:48:19 AM »
yes rio...cheers...for me one of the great strikers.....and ah doh like dem gold shirts eh...so god bless
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 06:36:17 AM »
yes rio...cheers...for me one of the great strikers.....and ah doh like dem gold shirts eh...so god bless

i agree with you on both points ...I still think I have never seen a better goal poacher in my lifetime !

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 08:44:27 AM »
Badman

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 09:06:34 AM »
congrats to one of the greatest forwards of my generation...

he had a goal, set about it and achieved it... To be scoring goals at that age at any level is a feat in itself...

Well done el baixinho

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 11:03:24 AM »
Great striker, but 1000 goals my arse!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

1]; } ?>