May 01, 2024, 01:29:18 PM

Author Topic: Trinis Too Hypocritical  (Read 2682 times)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Trinis Too Hypocritical
« on: May 19, 2007, 12:08:12 PM »
says Lucky

Anna Ramdass
Trinidad Express
Saturday, May 19th 2007

'BRAVE ENOUGH': Gillian Lucky

Pointe-a-Pierre MP Gillian Lucky has said that the Equal Opportunities Bill is being used as a "political football" in its flawed state as it does not address discrimination with respect to political affiliation or sexual orientation.

"What concerns me most in the Equal Opportunities Bill is that, in the 2007 bill, many of the issues raised by the Court of Appeal which pointed out deficiencies in the 2000 Act were not addressed," said Lucky, who was the guest speaker on Thursday at a luncheon hosted by the Central Port of Spain Rotary Club at Singho Restaurant, Long Circular Mall.

She suggested there was not a racial divide in the country, but a political one, as predominantly people of Afro-Trinidadian ethnicity supported the PNM and Indo-Trinidadians supported both Opposition parties.

"There was no protection for persons being treated differently for their political affiliation, the most important thing that divides us is not reflected in the bill," said Lucky.

She said the bill did not also provide protection for people's sexual orientation.

"That is an issue that people don't want to talk about in Trinidad and Tobago. They prefer to talk about Sir Elton John, whether he should come or not and many who suggested that he should not come not only attended the Jazz Festival in Plymouth, but I'm sure listened to his music and danced to it. That is the hypocrisy of Trinbagonians," she said.

Lucky said this was an issue that people wanted to sweep under the carpet, but she said she would be "brave enough to deal with it".

Lucky said the bill did not also provide protection for those infected with HIV, rehabilitative convicts, the elderly or the disabled.

Lucky said she recommended that the bill be sent to a Joint Select Committee of Parliament.

The bill is currently before the House of Representatives.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: Trinis Too Hypocritical
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 12:09:38 PM »
Comments appreciated...

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 03:49:20 PM »

She is right.  Deep down I believe most Trinbagonians know she is right...whether they admit it or not.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 05:14:50 PM »

She is right.  Deep down I believe most Trinbagonians know she is right...whether they admit it or not.

Agree, agree

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 05:28:12 PM »
Lucky damn right..And i commend her for making these comments as most in our country would be too scared to say otherwise since it won't give them any political mileage
Back in Trini...

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
daiz ah oman in de picture? :o
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 07:14:03 PM »
Comments??

errrr....... she's ah rel drop dead boy.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 08:33:43 PM »

ah know you on kicks, but ah still have to wonder about  you.
Yes Pointman, female

<shakes her head>

Cana he is only 17
Cana he is only 17
Cana he is only 17

ahhh jefferz

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 09:34:47 AM »

http://newsday.co.tt/news/0,57415.html

something for you to read....

but on a personal note, I think Gillian Lucky is tasting the "waters" to see how deep it is before she steps out into the open....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 09:37:25 AM by Rookmin V. Maharaj »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 10:36:59 AM »
You Go Ms Lucky, show dem what it takes to be an MP.
it is ONLY about how you represent your people.
Nothing to do wid clothes, or political affiliation or life style or what ever.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 10:40:20 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 10:51:08 AM »
says Lucky

Anna Ramdass
Trinidad Express
Saturday, May 19th 2007

Pointe-a-Pierre MP Gillian Lucky has said that the Equal Opportunities Bill is being used as a "political football" in its flawed state as it does not address discrimination with respect to political affiliation or sexual orientation.

"What concerns me most in the Equal Opportunities Bill is that, in the 2007 bill, many of the issues raised by the Court of Appeal which pointed out deficiencies in the 2000 Act were not addressed," said Lucky, who was the guest speaker on Thursday at a luncheon hosted by the Central Port of Spain Rotary Club at Singho Restaurant, Long Circular Mall.

She suggested there was not a racial divide in the country, but a political one, as predominantly people of Afro-Trinidadian ethnicity supported the PNM and Indo-Trinidadians supported both Opposition parties

"There was no protection for persons being treated differently for their political affiliation, the most important thing that divides us is not reflected in the bill," said Lucky.

She said the bill did not also provide protection for people's sexual orientation.

"That is an issue that people don't want to talk about in Trinidad and Tobago. They prefer to talk about Sir Elton John, whether he should come or not and many who suggested that he should not come not only attended the Jazz Festival in Plymouth, but I'm sure listened to his music and danced to it. That is the hypocrisy of Trinbagonians," she said.

Lucky said this was an issue that people wanted to sweep under the carpet, but she said she would be "brave enough to deal with it".

Lucky said the bill did not also provide protection for those infected with HIV, rehabilitative convicts, the elderly or the disabled.

Lucky said she recommended that the bill be sent to a Joint Select Committee of Parliament.

last week tuesday jumbie and i were limin ah bit. he hasnt been home in a real logn while and asked some pointed questions pertaining to percived racsim. wah is de vibes home, as relates to that.
i told him exaclty what mrs lucky said.
as far as i know, see, understand thigns to be, believe, racism in trinidad is an imaginary tool used by policitians to secure votes. every where there is some form of discrimantion but trinidadians of all different"backgrounds", i use dat word losely because if u ask me people intrinidad stop being indian negro chinne white etc generations ago; interact on a daily basis fine.

story -bear with meh please

when i went to trini in jan i went to waterloo temple. i visited there witha white canadian woman whom i met on the plane. she have marital connections to trini so she visits often, but handt never been to the tmple. anyways we went there and they were having (um please correct em peopel and gimme the peroper term) a hindu version of a chirsting. She went in boldly as a tourist but i was very very reluctant to intrude on the people. once inside i guess u automatically ebcome part of the ceremony so she was doing everythign they were doing trying to be respectful as possible.  i wa soutside limin with ah man looking for conchs to sell($30 for a small bag or somin so).

anways eventually while i was looking in, i was waved inside by the baby granny i think. she tell me come inside. so there i was a designer ras in a hindu temple being as respectul as i could be and wishing a good life for a young fello trini. i realised after if i didnt go in which was my  inital reaction  when granny hail meh in, it woulda been very disrespectful and perpetuate that imagined diivide between races in trini. ignorance and perceptions are de biggest danger and politicians use this to thier advantage.
at the end ah get some ah de best parasad and barfi i ever eat  ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 10:55:23 AM by PH »
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 12:06:55 PM »
says Lucky

Anna Ramdass
Trinidad Express
Saturday, May 19th 2007

She suggested there was not a racial divide in the country, but a political one, as predominantly people of Afro-Trinidadian ethnicity supported the PNM and Indo-Trinidadians supported both Opposition parties.

On a serious note, can we not infer from what Ms. Lucky said as infact being a racial divide? If PNM is mainly African Trini and UNC is mainly Indo-Trini can this not be seen as a racial divide along political lines. It seems almost like splitting hairs but politics is very much ingrained in so many peoples lives. Me ent kno :-\
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 03:53:24 AM »
IT'S racism under the pretex of politics. just think about it, if most indians vote for unc and most africans vote for pnm, without any consideration for the issues at hand,just blindly casting their votes based on emotional responces,that seems like racism to me big time. the politician only manipulate that hate to serve their purpose, further dividing the country along racial lines.

;'
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 05:10:00 AM »

Wais ah designer rasta ?
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 04:28:40 PM »
It have exceptions to the race thing to prove politics might play more of a role in discrimination.  Yuh getting favours based on your political affiliation not solely race.  People might tend to assume something about your political affiliation based on race but obviously that is not always the case.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 08:41:07 PM »
IT'S racism under the pretex of politics. just think about it, if most indians vote for unc and most africans vote for pnm, without any consideration for the issues at hand,just blindly casting their votes based on emotional responces,that seems like racism to me big time. the politician only manipulate that hate to serve their purpose, further dividing the country along racial lines.

very true breddah... but if your an indian and vote unc bc of their policy, people home will still brand you a racist, thats the problem, people to subjective and objective, juss bc a indian vote unc or an african vote pnm, dont mena they are a racist, for example some of the elders in my family have never voted anything else but pnm, from a young age they vote pnm, their parents say vote pnm, so they always did, are they racist, i doubt it.... however there is a flip side, bc plenty rich indians and average indians vote pnm, also many africans vote unc, so when people see that what do they say.. they assume your not a racist, its a double standard...

God is de BOSS....

very true breddah... but if your an indian and vote unc bc of their policy, people home will still brand you a racist, thats the problem, people to subjective and not objective, juss bc a indian vote unc or an african vote pnm, dont mena they are a racist, for example some of the elders in my family have never voted anything else but pnm, from a young age they vote pnm, their parents say vote pnm, so they always did, are they racist, i doubt it.... however there is a flip side, bc plenty rich indians and average indians vote pnm, also many africans vote unc, so when people see that what do they say.. they assume your not a racist, its a double standard...

God is de BOSS....

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 04:39:43 AM »

very true breddah... but if your an indian and vote unc bc of their policy, people home will still brand you a racist, thats the problem, people to subjective and objective, juss bc a indian vote unc or an african vote pnm, dont mena they are a racist, for example some of the elders in my family have never voted anything else but pnm, from a young age they vote pnm, their parents say vote pnm, so they always did, are they racist, i doubt it.... however there is a flip side, bc plenty rich indians and average indians vote pnm, also many africans vote unc, so when people see that what do they say.. they assume your not a racist, its a double standard...

God is de BOSS....

very true breddah... but if your an indian and vote unc bc of their policy, people home will still brand you a racist, thats the problem, people to subjective and not objective, juss bc a indian vote unc or an african vote pnm, dont mena they are a racist, for example some of the elders in my family have never voted anything else but pnm, from a young age they vote pnm, their parents say vote pnm, so they always did, are they racist, i doubt it.... however there is a flip side, bc plenty rich indians and average indians vote pnm, also many africans vote unc, so when people see that what do they say.. they assume your not a racist, its a double standard...

God is de BOSS....

I really hate the world to tell you the truth, like bob sang , so much trouble in the fackin world. Another thing i dispise is ah racist, i can't stand this racist bull shyte going onn in trini at all. as a youth in trini right in EDR i had chinese friends indian african whites spanish mixed race you name it, EDR had every body living there and we all lived in peace and harmony. so what is all this racist crap now all of a sudden. dats why polititions ain't no good ah fackin tall.          positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>