July 26, 2024, 10:34:45 PM

Author Topic: Carlos unfazed by marquee status.  (Read 3262 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Carlos unfazed by marquee status.
« on: May 19, 2007, 02:53:26 PM »
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Carlos Edwards is looking forward to shouldering what he says is an overwhelming responsibility as being this country’s new marquee player on the international football scene.
Growing up following the careers, adoring in more ways than one and lining up alongside the celebrated likes of Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy and others including his teammates from the “Soca Warriors” line up, Edwards added that he feels privileged to be considered a key figure in T&T football at this time.
Sunderland manager Roy Keane recently likened him to Manchester United star Ryan Giggs, Yorke has tipped him to continue steady progress and John has had some flattering stuff to say about him.
“Carlos has been massive at the club. He is having the best run of his career in my view. I think Carlos can definitely be on any Premiership team. He has the natural engine and can play at the top level. He has loads of potential and there are always players who don’t fulfill all of it but he has a strong mindset and has a places to go,” John said.
“That’s the beauty of the game. As a young player coming into a team or trying to make your name you might get a bit worried when there are others around doing well. It’s natural. It’s not about being bad mind or anything like that because at the end of the day it’s all about the team. For me now, I have matured and when you mature you understand more that there will be players who get better, be better and worth more,” John added.
Edwards isn’t being overly fazed by any of the extra attention or expectation.
“It’s good to be described this sort of way after the World Cup. I don’t see it as a burden but more as a responsibility and it’s a good feeling,” Edwards told TTFF Media on Friday while with some of his T&T teammates at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
“I am one of the leading players at this time and I haven’t made it a big deal but a lot of people have spoken about it. They will be looking at me. I’m just taking a backseat right now because of the current situation but on good note, I am always committed to representing my country. It’s tough now with the situation and we hope this can be resolved in the best interest of both parties and it can lead to us returning to being the kind of family that we were before,” added the former St Anthony’s College and Defence Force workhorse.
With the Premiership stage awaiting his presence now, the 28-year-old Edwards will soak up all the sun he can while back home before returning for a preseason tour of Republic of Ireland in July. Yorke’s influence on him and the company of John will make his Premiership status even sweeter.
“It was always a dream of mine to play in the Premiership. I never thought I would even play in a World Cup but I proved myself wrong. I am looking forward to the challenge and at the same time I’m overwhelmed and ready to go.
“Even though I played with Dwight at Sunderland he still looks after me and respects me at the same time. His guidance has been encouraging. There are lot of things I still learn from him, I came into the national team when guys like him, Stern and Russell were in their prime and now for me to step in where they left of is just something I am happy and feel privileged to be part of,” he concluded.”
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 06:09:56 PM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos unfazed by marquee status.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 10:00:51 PM »
 YES CARLOS YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOY EVERYTIME YOUR NAME CALL AND I GET MEMORIES OF WHAT YOU COULD DO I DOES GET GOOSEBUMPS. I REMEMBER WHEN YOU NEARLY BREAK THE MEXICAN FOOT FUSS HE GET BEAT, WHEN YOU LET GO THEM SONIC BOOM BULLETS AND BUSS UP DE NET AND STRING UP THE KEEPER. BOSS YOU ARE A GREAT PLAYER I JUST WAITING FOR THE NEW KIT TO COME OUT TO BUY ONE WITH EDWARDS NAME ON THE BACK!!!!!!

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 12:46:50 AM »
Watch nah...Carlos' screamer goal officially book Sunderland an EPL ticket eh

I cannot wait to see him sharing beat next season. Big up to a man of class both on the field and off

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 06:31:37 AM »
Just a warning though to all who choose to overlook the past ..... last years exploits wont count for a thing a few weeks into the new season. It is back to the drawing board as a whole new experience starts . look at Yorke .....player of the year, most goals in the Premiership, most goals in the Champions league one season and scrubbing bench and even off the team the very next season.
Look at the experience of  players like Ronaldo, Riquelme, Forlan etc. I am sure i dont have to explain these ....it is not open and shut with football in any country....
So yes carlos hasdone well but dont just draw the exponential lines yet ...it´s a whole new game next season...

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 09:32:41 AM »
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

........ I’m just taking a backseat right now because of the current situation but on good note, I am always committed to representing my country. It’s tough now with the situation and we hope this can be resolved in the best interest of both parties and it can lead to us returning to being the kind of family that we were before,” added the former St Anthony’s College and Defence Force workhorse.

With the Premiership stage awaiting his presence now, the 28-year-old Edwards will soak up all the sun he can while back home before returning for a preseason tour of Republic of Ireland in July........

Interesting to see de spin by the Thee Thee F F.  :thinking: :thinking: :waiting:

Mr Press oofficer, ah hmmmm,....there were other players, or as you said: teamates, right dey. Da was a nice chance for additional interviews, not so?. Does everything have to be Carlos, Carlos, Carlos, Carlos?  Yeah he is MOST deserving but sumting fishy about your intentions right now. Whappum, yuh eh see de players right dey orwah.. Steeuupppsss!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 09:39:32 AM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 09:33:29 AM »
Just a warning though to all who choose to overlook the past ..... last years exploits wont count for a thing a few weeks into the new season. It is back to the drawing board as a whole new experience starts . look at Yorke .....player of the year, most goals in the Premiership, most goals in the Champions league one season and scrubbing bench and even off the team the very next season.
Look at the experience of  players like Ronaldo, Riquelme, Forlan etc. I am sure i dont have to explain these ....it is not open and shut with football in any country....
So yes carlos hasdone well but dont just draw the exponential lines yet ...it´s a whole new game next season...

You are absolutely right!  Sunderland must also get a few better players or they will be back in the Championship League, Carlos or not!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 10:22:04 AM »
You are absolutely right!  Sunderland must also get a few better players or they will be back in the Championship League, Carlos or not!

They also have a history of no staying power...Since the premier league started, they have been up and back down the next season three times, hopefully the 4th time lucky...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 10:25:39 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/6672909.stm

Sunderland set to take on Quakers 
Sunderland will begin their pre-season preparations ahead of their return to the Premiership with a friendly against Darlington on 18 July.
The match will be the Black Cats' first visit to the Darlington Arena.

Roy Keane's side will then take on League One champions Sc**thorpe at Glanford Park on 21 July.

Sunderland depart for their tour of the Republic of Ireland soon after and play Bohemians (28 July), Cork City (30 July) and Galway United (1 August).

Well at least they ent playing Wasa  :-\

Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 10:38:20 AM »
Sunderland new kits come out yet.

1]; } ?>