April 29, 2024, 03:56:16 AM

Author Topic: Has Dwight yorke done enough in football for any claim to knighthood ?  (Read 4782 times)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I was wondering whether there was any support for at least a nomination for knighthood for our Dwight. Often the honour takes into account the exploits off the game as well as on the game and yorke has certainly distinguished himself in both areas. Voted among the best dressed men in London, the trademark smile while promoted football in England when other hugely paid players only bared muugs, the first ffrom the caribbean to achieve such heights...others can only follow, Under 20 WC, led seniors to historic smallest country to qualify for the WC, Champions league most goals that season, league most goals, FA , treble,
led Sunderlands return to the premiership, led Sydney to title as the marquee player in australia, rated with andy Cole as among the finest striking partnership seen in the premiership, led aston Villa to the coca cola Cup( I think that was the title when the entire crowd sang New York ...New yorke ) and a host of other firrsts..
I think if Britain wants to reward someone who hhas contributed to the popularity of football in several continents ..they wont have to look very far beyond our own    DWIGHT YORKE !

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
You joking right?  ::)
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
big yes jai....is only he tote could get in de way....what so jokey bout that reddo??
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

is only he tote could get in de way....

hahaha  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Here are the footballers that have been knighted - does Dwight match up? - we report - you decide

Stanley Matthews - 1965 (first professional footballer to get a Knighthood)
Tom Finney - 1998
Alf Ramsey - 1967
Bobby Robson - 2002
Geoff Hurst - 1998
Alex Ferguson - 1999
Matt Busby - 1968

A more detailed list including CBE, OBE, etc. http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamHons/HonsRoyal.html
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 11:37:21 AM by E-man »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
yea eman....check dat old school list....sir dwight as far as i concerned....if antigua give viv one well
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I did not know that Trini so hungry for approval that we still need  English pomp and circumstances to be accepted.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Here are the footballers that have been knighted - does Dwight match up? - we report - you decide

Tom Finney - 1998
Alf Ramsey - 1967
Bobby Robson - 2002
Geoff Hurst - 1998
Alex Ferguson - 1999
Matt Busby - 1968

A more detailed list including CBE, OBE, etc. http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamHons/HonsRoyal.html

I think you missed one on that list ....Walter winterbottom ...the first england manager ...loook at his achievements below ...you may find that he did not achieve that much ( cerrtainly not compared to Dwight ) but he was the first ...well show me which caribbean footballer has been the first to achieve so much and i will step aside ... It is on that score I am looking at the value of yorke's achievments ...many on your list did not achieve as much as Dwight either ...... The TREBLE ...is no everyday achievement.

Walter Winterbottom

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Sir Walter Winterbottom, CBE (March 31, 1913 in Oldham, England – February 16, 2002) was manager of the England football team from 1946 until 1962. He was the first person to be given the job.

Winterbottom's first career choice was to be a teacher. He trained at Chester Diocesan Training College (now the University of Chester) and qualified in 1933. While teaching he also played amateur football for local teams and was soon signed up to Manchester United as a professional, playing his first game in 1936. He appeared in a further twenty six first team games before a spinal ailment curtailed his career.

Winterbottom was appointed national director of coaching in 1946 and manager in May 1947. His first game was a 7-2 victory over Northern Ireland in September 1946. He managed the team (and arranged travel, accommodation and meals) through four World Cup competitions. It is sometimes reported that Winterbottom had no control over team selection, and that his role was mainly an administrative and training one. In fact, while a selection committee did choose the squads, it was Winterbottom who selected the starting XI.

He was created an OBE in 1963 and a CBE in 1972, and was awarded a knighthood in 1978. Winterbottom was inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame in 2005 in recognition of his contribution as a manager to the English game on a national level.

Add to Dwight's ccredit ......The most expensive player that Man United had bought at that time >>>>>12.6 Million pounds
Sir alex had to convince the board to break Man United rules to get him ..many called him a fool ..Tommy Doughety said " if he makes any premiership side then I am a monkeys uncle " Tommy is a United great ..yet Sir alex backed him and he proved  all the doubters wrong . Yorke may have paved the way for a change in policy at united so others like Ronaldo, Rooney etc could get the big bucks and their clubs their huge transffer fees ...

When Keene called him ....wasn't he washed up and on the way down ?
He is one of the success stories for any young footballer to try to emulate. The comeback king ...  The Rocky balboa of football j.........ust when you are ready to pension him off he is up for a new challenge ...shoe me another player like that from the caribbean ...or anywhere for that matter ..........

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I did not know that Trini so hungry for approval that we still need  English pomp and circumstances to be accepted.

It is just a matter of giving unto Caesar the things that are Caesars my friend...... nothing more nothing less....

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Tom Finney - 1998
Alf Ramsey - 1967
Bobby Robson - 2002
Geoff Hurst - 1998
Alex Ferguson - 1999
Matt Busby - 1968

Would be cool. And his list of accomplishemnts are top notch. But somehow I doubt it...I think because I feel pretty ignorant as to what the Prime Minister of England, or the general public in the UK really look for in their knights. I think there are other British-born footballers who are more popular, have just as great a footballing pedigree and have a cleaner off the field image. I feel there would naturally be a strong bias towards the British-born. If Yorke wins it I will be pleasantly surprised..I'd imagine the likes of Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Teddy Sheringham, Paul Ince, mark Hughes..etc, etc, etc..would be voted for before Dwight, even if Dwight's accomplishments match or surpass theirs.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Add to Dwight's ccredit ......The most expensive player that Man United had bought at that time >>>>>12.6 Million pounds
Sir alex had to convince the board to break Man United rules to get him ..many called him a fool ..Tommy Doughety said " if he makes any premiership side then I am a monkeys uncle " Tommy is a United great ..yet Sir alex backed him and he proved  all the doubters wrong . Yorke may have paved the way for a change in policy at united so others like Ronaldo, Rooney etc could get the big bucks and their clubs their huge transffer fees ...

When Keene called him ....wasn't he washed up and on the way down ?
He is one of the success stories for any young footballer to try to emulate. The comeback king ...  The Rocky balboa of football j.........ust when you are ready to pension him off he is up for a new challenge ...shoe me another player like that from the caribbean ...or anywhere for that matter ..........

I eh know if he pave de way for a change in policy at Utd.  Even though his was the biggest at the time, big transfer fees were going to happen Dwight Yorke or no Dwight Yorke.

There is no doubt that he paved the way for Caribbean footballers to get a consistent opportunity in British Football.  There were others before him....Clyde Best of Bermuda I think was the most famous.  Then there was John Barnes.  But Yorke was the one who paved the way for the Stern John's, Ricardo Gardner's etc...players who came straight from the Caribbean (or MLS in John's case) into the top British League.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
i cyah see dat happening..... i wud expect...Sir.Brian Lara..not yorkie...lets be real

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
i cyah see dat happening..... i wud expect...Sir.Brian Lara..not yorkie...lets be real

First off T&T is a republic and as such is not subjected to the Queen's knighthood. In other words, according to protocol it cant happen.

Now onto something that makes sense.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

First off T&T is a republic and as such is not subjected to the Queen's knighthood. In other words, according to protocol it cant happen.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: allyuh fellahs eh easy!!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
We Still Cant Get away from this Colonial Mindset. We are a Republic and dont  need Mother Country Knighthood.
 We really need to liberate the mind.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Two things...

First

What is the big deal with a Knighthood?

If Dwight acieve so mush in the game and is recognized for it by his fans and his peers why does he need a knighthood as any kind of validation.

Second, and men will vex with this one.

As great as Dwight is, was and will be, he was not a one man team. Every time the Treble gets mentioned on this board it seems that it wasn't a squad of 20-odd players but one man who win it.

It is true that the treble would not have happened without Yorke but it also would not have happened without Giggs, without Keane, without Scholes, without Stam, without Schmeichel. They all made contributions along the way which made the treble possible and that is what makes a team. I am sure that Yorke, being the well-loved teammate that he is, would be the first to acknowledge this.

Love your own but respect the contribution of others at least.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sub 1 u beat me too it. Good not say it any betta
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

Citizens of T&T doh get knighted breds..we is ah damn republic..to hell with old cold england!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

quick question ...does dwight Yorke possess dual nationality ? a british passport maybe ? does that get over the protocol if he is deemed deserving ? does it make sense now you think ::)

truetrini

yes, he could take de knighthood if he has the UK citizenship..but ah cyar see dat happening.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
yes, he could take de knighthood if he has the UK citizenship..but ah cyar see dat happening.

and it says it right here as well .......

Although the Order of the British Empire has by far the highest number of members of the British Orders of Chivalry, there are fewer appointments to knighthoods than in other orders. Most Knights Commander are honorary members or British subjects living abroad, with only a handful being residents of the United Kingdom. The grade of Dame Commander, on the other hand, is the most common grade of dame in the British honours system and is awarded in circumstances where men would be created Knights Bachelor.

Most members are citizens of the United Kingdom or other Commonwealth realms of which the Queen is Head of State. Citizens of other countries, however, may be admitted as "honorary members". They do not count towards the numerical limits aforementioned, nor are holders of the GBE, KBE or DBE addressed as "Sir" or "Dame". They may be made full members if they subsequently become British citizens or citizens of other realms of the Queen. See List of honorary British Knights.
 but i hear yuh about it not likely to happen ...

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I hope you have learnt something today ....

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hell if y'all want Yorke to get Knighted why dont you give Latapy and the rest of the squad that honor??

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hell if y'all want Yorke to get Knighted why dont you give Latapy and the rest of the squad that honor??

That is because groups are not knighted, individuals are.  However, Yorke can be honored by the Queen but will not carry the title, Sir, since he is a citizen of the Republic of T&T, unless he gives up his T&T citizen ship and acquires British citizenship.  That is my understanding
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

That is because groups are not knighted, individuals are. However, Yorke can be honored by the Queen but will not carry the title, Sir, since he is a citizen of the Republic of T&T, unless he gives up his T&T citizen ship and acquires British citizenship. That is my understanding
Wah ,so Sir Vivian Richards is british. ???

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Enough gyal does be bawling out "Sir Dwight Yorke" from he hotel room every night

doh worry about Yorkie he good

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Since it mean so much to allyuh.....get a golden cutlass and call back in yorke and latas fuh a lil ceremony wit uncle max.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com

oh lord.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile

That is because groups are not knighted, individuals are. However, Yorke can be honored by the Queen but will not carry the title, Sir, since he is a citizen of the Republic of T&T, unless he gives up his T&T citizen ship and acquires British citizenship. That is my understanding

Antigua and Barbuda
Government Federal constitutional monarchy
 -  Head of State Elizabeth II
 -  Governor-General Sir James Carlisle
 -  Prime Minister Baldwin Spencer
Antigua is still part of the Commonwealth so he is tecnically a british subject so to speak.

Dwight deserves The Trinity Cross
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 07:03:00 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

[/b]
Viv is not British but Antigua is not a Republic.  Tthe official head of state is still the Queen of England.  The official head of State of TT is the President of the rebublic of TT.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

1]; } ?>