April 28, 2024, 04:36:44 PM

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke - Sydney's over  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke - Sydney's over
« on: May 20, 2007, 12:56:14 AM »
Dwight Yorke - Sydney's over
By Cameron Bell
The Sunday Telegraph

Not one to hold a grudge ... Dwight Yorke on the golf course this week. Photograph: Rohan Kelly / The Sunday Telegraph

DWIGHT Yorke is running an hour late. Roaring down the M5 in a little blue Audi hatchback, he's missed the turnoff to the Macquarie Links golf course and ended up in Campbelltown.

Then he's missed it again on the way back and almost ended up in Liverpool.

Due on course at 9.30am, he arrives at 10.35am, drags his set of Callaways out of the boot and saunters towards the first tee to be special guest at a corporate golf day.

But he's not flustered. His face has that trademark grin.

His only worry is a slight stomach muscle strain, which makes him nervous about how he's going to swing a club.

Other than that, he's the happiest he's been in months. And why wouldn't he be.

Two weeks earlier he had helped Sunderland win promotion to the English Premiership. He joined Sunderland after Sydney FC effectively booted him out when they accepted more than $500,000 for his transfer last September.

It remains the lowest period of Yorke's career.

But he has moved on.

Sydney will always be a part of him, as evidenced by his return to the Harbour City for a holiday as soon as his Coca-Cola Championship commitments had finished. He can't get enough of the Sydney nightlife, the Sydney women and Sydney's golf courses.

But holidays are where it ends.

Yorke has effectively ruled out returning to Sydney to play.

In fact, he's all but ruled out a return to the A-League, saying it would take something extraordinary for him to play in the competition he helped to ignite in its inaugural season.

"You know, I don't hold any grudges,'' he said of his treatment by Sydney FC. "You can't go through life like that.

"Everything is sorted for me now and, as it's worked out, I've got an opportunity to play in the Premier League again next year, this time with Sunderland. In my life, I've always learned to never say never when it comes to anything in football.

"But I'm back in the Premier League now and I feel like a little kid again. I never thought that at the age of 35 I'd get another chance in the Premier League, but I have. You never know what could happen in football and I never rule anything out.

"I can't answer the question of whether I'll be back in the A-League with 100 per cent certainty, but it would take something quite extraordinary for it to happen.''

And not just because he has a sour taste in his mouth from the way things ended with Sydney.

The big move

When Yorke joined his former Manchester United team-mate and now Sunderland coach Roy Keane last season, the northern England club was 23rd in the 24-team Championship.

"I thought 'what the hell am I doing here. I must be crazy','' he said. "I had a great set-up in Sydney, I was really enjoying my time there and then, all of a sudden, everything changed.

"It took me an initial seven, even eight weeks, to really get into my game. It took me that long to get over leaving Sydney because I loved it that much.

"But here I was, with a two-year deal at Sunderland, and I just told myself I had to make the most of it. I had to do the best I could for myself and my team.''

Yorke finished the season with seven goals to be Sunderland's second top-scorer. Keane even made him captain for a large chunk of the season.

Sydney FC

Yorke has kept in touch with plenty of people at Sydney FC. In many respects, he was looking forward to the second year of his contract with the club more than the first. He was looking forward to the challenge of defending the title.

"I've been intrigued with how Sydney went,'' Yorke said. "I always said that the first year was going to be easier than the second. It's a difficult challenge defending the title in any league.

"They had a few hiccups this year and didn't do as well as they would have liked, or could have, but that's football. I would have loved to have been there and contributing to defending the title.''

Import hunt

It's strange that Sydney got rid of a guy who was so passionate aboutthe club and the city, only to offer more money to secure another marquee signing.

On Sydney's hit list have been 41-year-old Teddy Sheringham, Dutch star Phillip Cocu, Turkey's Hakan Sukur and Nigerian Jay Jay Okocha.

The club was said to be prepared to pay $1.2million a season to sign one of them - more than Yorke was earning.

"It seems like a lot but compared to what these guys can earn on the world stage, it's really a pittance,'' Yorke said. "No offence to the A-League but you could never get a 23-year-old from another country on that sort of money because it's just not much.

"For me, it was never about the money I was earning because I've always said I could have gone to Qatar and played for a lot more. It was more about lifestyle and that's the thing I miss most of all.''

Yorke leaves Sydney on Friday to be home in London in time for his son's birthday on the 27th.
Until then he will be living the lifestyle he loves before returning to the pressure world of the English Premiership.

A world he had long thought he had left behind.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwight Yorke - Sydney's over
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 08:32:33 AM »
......and Jackula, Scamps, Rodent and SF talking dey stupid talk about Yorke coming to play for dey pseudo-Digicel Shield. Steeuuuppss! Yorke enjoying heself on de greens and only taking incoming calls on he cell from he peeps, de li'l Magician and de Prince of P.O.S   :rotfl:
A setta dyam hoax in de country. Yeah man, allyuh carry on.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
Re: Dwight Yorke - Sydney's over
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 08:46:47 AM »
Yorke finished the season with seven goals to be Sunderland's second top-scorer. Keane even made him captain for a large chunk of the season.
Dwight had 5 goals...and Leadbitter Connolly and Murphy all had more goals than he did

Yorke leaves Sydney on Friday to be home in London in time for his son's birthday on the 27th.

:'(
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Why Dwight went back
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 03:16:57 PM »

These Aussies can't stop writing about him...

Why Dwight went back
By Martin Hardy (Daily Telegraph)

May 24, 2007 12:00

DWIGHT Yorke has revealed the moment he decided to quit his luxurious lifestyle in Sydney for the cold, bleak north-east of England.

The 35-year-old party boy was sitting in his stunning Darling Harbour apartment, reflecting on helping Sydney FC win the inaugural A-League title when his mobile rang.

It was new Sunderland boss Roy Keane, a former teammate who had questioned Yorke's lifestyle and commitment after Manchester United had won a historic treble in 1999.

But what could Keane have said to prise him away from the sun and surf of Sydney and lure him back to the pressure of English league football.

"You don't say no to Roy Keane," is all Yorke would say, flashing his trademark grin.

"I was in my apartment in Sydney, overlooking the harbour. That's where I was when he called.

"It was an international call so there was no number. The voice is very distinctive though.

"Even though I was (in Australia) I still followed the football. I was aware he'd got the job. I knew exactly who it was. It was a voice I'd heard screaming at me over the years.

"But from the time the call came through, I was very flattered. He made it very clear he was more than keen for me to be a part of it.

"I was honoured. I was surprised he wanted me.

"I had left English football to get a new challenge and a new lifestyle. I didn't think I did too badly in the World Cup for Trinidad and Tobago last year.

"Maybe he saw that and remembers some of my time at Manchester United. He knows what I'm like behind closed doors and what I bring to the dressing room.

"He maybe felt that it was what (Sunderland) needed. I closed the door on my apartment when I was leaving and I thought, 'I can't believe I'm doing this'.

"I had offers before that but I refused them. It takes someone of Keane's status to take me away from my Darling Harbour apartment."

Yorke, an integral part of Sunderland's championship-winning campaign, who was in the harbour city earlier this month for a holiday, also lifted the lid on the new Keane, who has guided the English club to promotion.

"There is a calmness about him," Yorke said. "Everyone was expecting a raging bull but Keano has made changes in his life as well. He had to.

"We all change as we get older. You make mistakes along the way but you learn from them.

"He has played for the top managers. He was never fazed by their reputation but he has learned to be calm. What is fascinating is that it quite suits him."

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
Re: Why Dwight went back
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 04:10:06 PM »
u late e-man...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>