April 29, 2024, 01:23:43 AM

Author Topic: The Port of Spain Waterfront Project - US$551 Million  (Read 4318 times)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
The Port of Spain Waterfront Project - US$551 Million
« on: May 24, 2007, 11:08:26 PM »

$1.8 billion overrun on waterfront project
Trinidad Guardian
Friday 25th May, 2007

THE COST of the Port-of-Spain waterfront project has more than doubled to $3.4 billion (US$551 million), with the cost overrun on the project, considered to be the jewel in the crown of the Patrick Manning administration, amounting to a massive $1.8 billion (US$286 million).

In August, 2005, when the French construction giant Bouygues Batiment signed the contract to design and build an office, hotel and conference centre on the Port-of-Spain waterfront, the price tag on the project was put at US$265 million ($1.6 billion).

Yesterday, Canadian-owned bank FirstCaribbean issued a release saying that it had completed the financing of the “prestigious” waterfront project with a US$375-million transaction ($2.3 billion).

The FirstCaribbean statement said the US$375 million financing was placed by the bank at a fixed interest rate of 6.09 per cent for 15.9 years on the US private placement market, using an "innovative structure.”

The bank said the current financing followed “earlier interim funding arranged and provided by FirstCaribbean in the amount of US$176 million—US$136 million in December, 2005, and US$40 million in June, 2006—for the project.”

The earlier US$176 million plus the current US$375 million mean that the project financing is estimated at US$551 million, substantially more than the US$265 million allocated in the original budget.

The FirstCaribbean statement said, however, the project was “currently within budget and deadline.”

During the last two years, there have been substantial increases in the cost of local construction labour, materials and equipment—mainly as a result of the enhanced pace of State construction.

The appreciation of the euro against the TT dollar is also believed to have contributed to the cost overrun.

When it signed the contract in August, 2005, Bouygues Batiment was part of a consortium comprising Home Construction Ltd, the CL Financial subsidiary and Hyatt Regency, the global hotel chain which was identified as the top-ranked of three groups last December.

The French contractor/developer will be represented in T&T by its unit Bouygues Batiment International.

The consortium is developing the 150,000-square-meter complex on behalf of a company called the Port-of-Spain Waterfront Development Ltd, which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Urban Development Corporation of T&T (Udecott).

The first part of the project is expected to be completed by October, this year, the second phase at the end of 2007, with completion expected by the end of 2008.

The two 26-storey towers at the waterfront project will house corporate offices and a 22-storey, five-star Hotel Hyatt Regency hotel with 428 rooms.

Other features of the project include:

* A conference complex containing exhibition space
    * Pre-function rooms, translation booths and media facilities
    * Retail shopping facilities
    * Car park with a 1,200-vehicle capacity

According to the Barbados-based FirstCaribbean, the waterfront project "is one of the urban rehabilitation efforts" being made by the Government. The bank described the waterfront project as being of “strategic importance” to the Government’s development plans in the context of its Vision 2020 for the country.

“Upon completion, it is expected to position the T&T capital as a regional hub for finance, international relations and trade,” according to the bank.

Efforts to contact the bank's spokesman were unsuccessful up to yesterday evening.

A list of questions was e-mailed to Udecott spokesman Danielle Jones at 5.48 pm yesterday. Jones said she was unable to respond, because the officials qualified to provide a comment were not available.

©2005-2006 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited

truetrini

Re: The Port of Spain Waterfront Project - US$551 Million
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 06:17:35 AM »
dey crooked, manning tiefing, dis is bull shit...ent?

TrinInfinite

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 09:01:18 AM »
all dey doin is renovating a new home for the people who living sea lots, juss now yuh go see some fellahs who was by de promenade in hugo boss suit and have they own high rise office... :devil: :rotfl:

God is de BOSS....

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 09:32:50 AM »
all dey doin is renovating a new home for the people who living sea lots, juss now yuh go see some fellahs who was by de promenade in hugo boss suit and have they own high rise office... :devil: :rotfl:

God is de BOSS....

steups. maybe dey should put dem in dat school in Biche?

what yuh think?

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 10:32:25 AM »
hmm its nice to see "little" TNT moving forward in way of development.
but the thing is...i lost meh bearings
what part of POS is this ?

i was home recently but didn't get to go to POS.
waterfront ???...i'm thinking Wrightson Road area straight down to NP side or the other way to Central Police ???

and those people living in sea lots, i'm sure they WILL move eventually...either by payout, government giving them a 2x4 to live in in Wallerfield, or sudden sudden dey whole ah sea lots get bun out like that block from Henry to Duke Streets what year it was.

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 10:44:55 AM »
hmm its nice to see "little" TNT moving forward in way of development.
but the thing is...i lost meh bearings
what part of POS is this ?

i was home recently but didn't get to go to POS.
waterfront ???...i'm thinking Wrightson Road area straight down to NP side or the other way to Central Police ???

and those people living in sea lots, i'm sure they WILL move eventually...either by payout, government giving them a 2x4 to live in in Wallerfield, or sudden sudden dey whole ah sea lots get bun out like that block from Henry to Duke Streets what year it was.

yuh correck with regards to de location!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 11:04:14 AM »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 11:46:52 AM »
thanks...lemme look

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 12:28:17 PM »
How to get something built on time:

Recently a tanker truck explosion took out a couple sections of freeway in the San Francisco Bay Area. Caltrans took bids and offered a bonus for every day that the project beat the deadline. It was completed in 25 days, 34 days ahead of schedule. The contractor got his $5MM bonus.

Now if only they coulda done this with the retrofit/reconstruction on the Gowanus in NY - for the 13 years I lived there they never got it done yet ...lol

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=28263

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 03:55:58 PM »

TriniCana you talking about Black Swans...except wasn't by chance....maybe.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 06:01:41 AM »
Hyatt Regency Trinidad
very nice looking
there is a power point presentation that i cant find online.
http://trinidad.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 06:13:37 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 07:43:40 AM »
Hyatt Regency Trinidad
very nice looking
i guess when ah visit i'll have to stay there. ::)
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 09:48:05 AM »
Hyatt Regency Trinidad
very nice looking
yeah you could get a time share ting ;D or as they call it "Vacation Ownership" ;)
http://trinidad.hyatt.com/hvc/index.jhtml;jsessionid=BI3N01UFNWVUZTQSNWGFAGGOCJWYOUP4
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »
Hyatt Regency Trinidad
very nice looking
yeah you could get a time share ting ;D or as they call it "Vacation Ownership" ;)
http://trinidad.hyatt.com/hvc/index.jhtml;jsessionid=BI3N01UFNWVUZTQSNWGFAGGOCJWYOUP4
i own some in orlando so i guess i could exchange.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 10:14:36 AM »
dis is money well spent. Hopefully they will do some work on the ride into town.....in the Sealots/Beetham area....damn dat sight is heavy on the eyes.  For any visitor...Is ah helluv ah ting driving een town and seeing ah 'oman in ah half ah slip or ah man in jokey shorts takin ah fresh....fuh we who accostom seein it is not ah problem...but oh gorrrd man. Pressha!

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 10:31:44 AM »
yeah, for de forren peeps dat piece of highway ent easy oui from fernandes dong to Dock Road
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 08:51:41 PM »
what ah waste...
Ah say it, how ah see it

1]; } ?>