April 16, 2024, 10:07:44 AM

Author Topic: Bolton secure free transfer of Villa's Samuel  (Read 4761 times)

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolton secure free transfer of Villa's Samuel
« on: May 25, 2007, 05:51:52 AM »
Lee brings Jlloyd to the Reebok.
By: Soccernet.com.

Jlloyd Samuel will become Sammy Lee's first signing as Bolton manager after agreeing a free transfer from Aston Villa. The 26-year-old defender will join the club on July 1 on a four-year deal.
The former England under-21 international joined the midlands club as an apprentice in 1997, making almost 200 appearances for the club.
However, he fell out of favour under new manager Martin O'Neill, making just two starts this season.
Lee said on Bolton's official website: 'I'm delighted that Jlloyd will join us and I think he will be an excellent signing.
'He's versatile and will offer us quality in a number of positions, which is vital for our squad. 'He's English, has youth on his side and I think he will give us a lot.'
Samuel is Wanderers' fourth summer signing, joining Zoltan Harsanyi, Blerim Dzemali and Gerald Cid at the Reebok Stadium and will not be the last, according to Lee.
'There's activity going on all the time, even though it's the close season,' he said.
'Just because there are no games, it doesn't mean that there isn't any activity.
'We are always looking to strengthen the squad with quality additions.'
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 06:53:18 AM by Flex »

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bolton secure free transfer of Villa's Samuel
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 09:28:48 AM »
Samuel is a good player, this is a good pick up by Bolton as no transfer fee was required.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 09:36:41 AM »
who is dis again??...heard the name befor...he ever play in ah world cup ??
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 09:39:13 AM »
'He's English, has youth on his side and I think he will give us a lot.'

Ride out Jlloyd.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 10:09:38 AM »
who gives a shit about him.  :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 10:47:55 AM »
Well done Jlloyd,the guy stood up for what he thought is best for him and it paid off,he is in a better position than all who was loyal,so don't hate him for that,in the professional world it's all about chances/opportunities and luck has a lot to with it,the guy knows his worth coming here would not have done that for him,how many players we have that have four year contracts today,they got so much exposure with the WC i can't understand it,what's our problem?

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
Lee brings Jlloyd to the Reebok.
By: Soccernet.com.

Jlloyd Samuel will become Sammy Lee's first signing as Bolton manager after agreeing a free transfer from Aston Villa. The 26-year-old defender will join the club on July 1 on a four-year deal.
The former England under-21 international joined the midlands club as an apprentice in 1997, making almost 200 appearances for the club.
However, he fell out of favour under new manager Martin O'Neill, making just two starts this season.
Lee said on Bolton's official website: 'I'm delighted that Jlloyd will join us and I think he will be an excellent signing.
'He's versatile and will offer us quality in a number of positions, which is vital for our squad. 'He's English, has youth on his side and I think he will give us a lot.'
Samuel is Wanderers' fourth summer signing, joining Zoltan Harsanyi, Blerim Dzemali and Gerald Cid at the Reebok Stadium and will not be the last, according to Lee.
'There's activity going on all the time, even though it's the close season,' he said.
'Just because there are no games, it doesn't mean that there isn't any activity.
'We are always looking to strengthen the squad with quality additions.'

Why people doh do they research before they make press comments? And for him, or his agent to be portraying himself as English says it all for me. Whatever. Next!
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 11:57:05 AM »
Why people doh do they research before they make press comments? And for him, or his agent to be portraying himself as English says it all for me. Whatever. Next!

But he is English. Why would anyone get worked up with such a statement? He's also Trini, but they are probably just speaking about the fact that he does not take up a non-EU spot in the team and /or he is at home in England and needs no acclimitization.  Plus..he's only ever played for one national team..England. That is where he was raised and spent most of his life..that is the country he has represented. We cyah be that insecure that we need to hear the word Trini with anyone with some trini roots. The club issued a statement that emphasizes what they like about him and that includes the fact that he has an English passport..it ain't a description of what he considers his identity. And how you jump to the conclusion that the statement had anythng to do with Samuel or his agent? Amazing. Allyuh good yes..we condemn countries where immigrants have a hard time being socially accepted as citizens and we criticize those that do..which one is it?

Offline Worry-er

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 05:09:57 PM »
I almost thought this was our Samuel.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 06:04:53 PM »

But he is English. Why would anyone get worked up with such a statement? He's also Trini, but they are probably just speaking about the fact that he does not take up a non-EU spot in the team and /or he is at home in England and needs no acclimitization.  Plus..he's only ever played for one national team..England. That is where he was raised and spent most of his life..that is the country he has represented. We cyah be that insecure that we need to hear the word Trini with anyone with some trini roots. The club issued a statement that emphasizes what they like about him and that includes the fact that he has an English passport..it ain't a description of what he considers his identity. And how you jump to the conclusion that the statement had anythng to do with Samuel or his agent? Amazing. Allyuh good yes..we condemn countries where immigrants have a hard time being socially accepted as citizens and we criticize those that do..which one is it?

For real! Good post Filho.
The same statement could have applied to Me Mum, and nobody wouldn't have a thing to say...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 05:49:18 AM »

LMAO>.... nice one Big

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 06:01:30 AM »

For real! Good post Filho.
The same statement could have applied to Me Mum, and nobody wouldn't have a thing to say...

or the same could be applied to someone who claims to be 'trini 2 the bone' but doesn't contribute to their economy or has no desire to return to their 'homeland' yet they choose to critise those raised elsewhere even though they know they will NEVER return to live in TNT.
What some people need to take into account say Mr. Samuel did play for England as a Career move, some people work as Doctors for example and move to next countries as a Career move (Really for more money) isn't that leaving your country out on a limb some of these do not contribute back to their country. Just something to think about. I think that is as bad as some people making out Samuel bring a negetive in their eyes. Anyway I didn't see Samuel say anything in the Article.

I hoped he could of got a better move though, espeically as Allardyce just left.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 06:04:06 AM by Serial Gum Bumper »

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 07:31:08 AM »

LMAO>.... nice one Big

He is not English, he is a fawking hoyte, toyte, Trini, who forget where de fawk his navel strings buried.

Hope he does well and ride pine at Bolton.......

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 08:31:09 AM »

LMAO>.... nice one Big

He is not English, he is a fawking hoyte, toyte, Trini, who forget where de fawk his navel strings buried.

LOL hope he does well but riding the bench? LOL.

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 08:34:13 AM »

LMAO>.... nice one Big

:applause:  ;D
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 09:08:08 AM »

LMAO>.... nice one Big

that is just cruel  :devil: but funny
he seems like a nice fella...his whole upbringing has really been in England tho, so it is natural for him to have allegiances to both. A youth will always pick the country where he grew up, where all his friends live, where all his coaches influence his aspirations...unless his parents find a way to keep him deeply entrenched in Trini culture. Or if he feels he is not good enough to represent the country he was raised in. I want all the Trinis who grew up in T&T, who like to dis Zamora and Jlloyd to ask themselves this question and be honest...if both your parents or only one parent where from Grenada, or any other country that you really knew little about...but you grew up exactly as you ahve in T&T, as a Trini, yuh only ever had a Trini accent, you went to school there, learn to kick ball there and your parents hardly ever took you to Grenada, you never really lived there and you even representing T&T Under 17s etc..where yuh allegiance would really lie..yuh trying to say yuh not going to have some allegiance to T&T? Yuh really feel is fair fuh people to call yuh a traitor if you choose T&T to represent....

In a way, I think is more up to your parents..cuz a youthman opinions about allegiance get set early and yuh cyah blame a child for developing allegiance to where he is raised and where all his friends are if he not getting a healthy healthy dose of his motherland culture from his parents

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 10:11:43 AM »

LMAO>.... nice one Big

that is just cruel  :devil: but funny
he seems like a nice fella...his whole upbringing has really been in England tho, so it is natural for him to have allegiances to both. A youth will always pick the country where he grew up, where all his friends live, where all his coaches influence his aspirations...unless his parents find a way to keep him deeply entrenched in Trini culture. Or if he feels he is not good enough to represent the country he was raised in. I want all the Trinis who grew up in T&T, who like to dis Zamora and Jlloyd to ask themselves this question and be honest...if both your parents or only one parent where from Grenada, or any other country that you really knew little about...but you grew up exactly as you ahve in T&T, as a Trini, yuh only ever had a Trini accent, you went to school there, learn to kick ball there and your parents hardly ever took you to Grenada, you never really lived there and you even representing T&T Under 17s etc..where yuh allegiance would really lie..yuh trying to say yuh not going to have some allegiance to T&T? Yuh really feel is fair fuh people to call yuh a traitor if you choose T&T to represent....

In a way, I think is more up to your parents..cuz a youthman opinions about allegiance get set early and yuh cyah blame a child for developing allegiance to where he is raised and where all his friends are if he not getting a healthy healthy dose of his motherland culture from his parents

Great Post for two reasons
1) It made sense
2) He mentioned Grenada

Well Done Filho.

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 10:37:36 AM »
Just one lil problem with all ah dat.

He was BORN in TT. And it wasn't as though he didn't have a choice about whether to represent TT. He CHOSE to represent England.

Now, tbh, I doh have a problem with all ah dat. Is de wanting to swing back around and play patriotic to TT, oh he want to play for we AFTER we qualify for de WC. Dat is what I take exception to. Doh try to use we conveniently.

Even Zamora I have more respect for, cause he was born in England, and only one parent is a Trini. He see an opportunity he would never realise with ah England team and try ah ting. Cyah fault him for dat. But Samuel is a born Trini with two Trini parents, and chose another country. So be it. But doh try to swing back.

Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2007, 11:18:52 AM »

He was BORN in TT. And it wasn't as though he didn't have a choice about whether to represent TT. He CHOSE to represent England.

Now, tbh, I doh have a problem with all ah dat. Is de wanting to swing back around and play patriotic to TT, oh he want to play for we AFTER we qualify for de WC. Dat is what I take exception to. Doh try to use we conveniently.

Even Zamora I have more respect for, cause he was born in England, and only one parent is a Trini. He see an opportunity he would never realise with ah England team and try ah ting. Cyah fault him for dat. But Samuel is a born Trini with two Trini parents, and chose another country. So be it. But doh try to swing back.

I don't see Zamora should be paid more respect for that, also why would you pay Zamora more respect or any respect at all after you the board this:

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=20271.msg212052#msg212052

For somebody who was trying to storm his way into the Soca Warriors line up, just to play in the WC, you would think Zamora would have the sense to at least be friendly with Shaka, as he's one of our elder statesmen in the game. Not ah chance. From what I was told, he never really talk to Shaka, or tried to form any friendship other than the usual changing room banter. Never even said more than hi a time or two to Shaka's wife. Not a friendly person atall. I know real men were overjoyed when he get blank. Jloyd was lil different, cause he born Trini and never tried to hide it.

I just noticed aswell your sounding a bit different about Samuel in your last line ;D

As for Samuel being Born in Trinidad, he spent his Infant and formative years in England (Basically all of his life or what he probably can remember from it), are you telling me the country you are spend your formative years in isn't going to have any effect on you or your decision? If you totally disagree I think you are wrong.

BTW I'm praying for the Day when YOUR children and/or younger relatives line up for England  ;D (same goes for TI and Canada)  :rotfl:

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2007, 11:26:06 AM »

RTG yuh real contradicting yourself and yuh talking a load of rubbish

In your first post you took offense that he was not called Trini...which in itself is a joke. It was most likely a reference to his EU status, not his identity
Now yuh taking offense to him jumping on the T&T bandwagon and using T&T conveniently..Try and get your story straight nah..These are two completely different and unrelated topics

And doh be ridiculous. Noone has any memory of their birth or upbringing until they are about 4 to 5 years old. Being born in a certain country does not provide any nascient allegiance to it..and if you have no memory of living there, you will not develop any sense of allegiance to it. It is up to your parents to make sure you don't forget where you were born if they think that is important. And why do most people migrate...in most cases it is to find opportunities for themselves and their children that they did not think they would find easily in their homeland..so I think most immigrant parents are ok with their children representing the country where they grew up and even encourage it, because they know that it is natural for them to identify more with the country where they were raised and any other message they give would be a hypocritical double standard. Why leave T&T for 'better' opprotunities abroad and then tell your children..it's ok for us, but not you. It would be one thing if his parents were refugees escaping oppression and would love to return to their homeland when things get better. Anyway..just read my previous post and you will be lying if you say you would represent Grenada ahead of T&T.

To me, for fellas like Zamora and Jlloyd to pick T&T over England involves a higher level of treachery and heartless calculation than vice versa. England is where they had their boy days, went to school, meet girls, get in trouble, learn how to sweat..when WC come around...everyone around them supporting England..Is not like they even had a little T&T to support. If everyone thinks about their boy days in T&T, or girl days (is that even said?) you would realize how hard it is to imagine representing anyone but T&T no matter where your parents from or where you happen to be born. We call it loyalty cuz we benefit, but they really being traitors to their real upbringing..and they just using T&T to get ahead..those who have more love for those who jump on T&T early vs those who jump late have not thought it thru..it is all the same..just depends on how desperate you hapen to be. Not saying they don't eventually love T&T, but in the beginning..choosing T&T would be against all their natural instincts
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 12:00:27 PM by Filho »

1]; } ?>