March 29, 2024, 07:27:32 AM

Author Topic: Brown vs The rest  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Brown vs The rest
« on: May 26, 2007, 07:35:08 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=161152565

Brown vs The Rest

Kwame Laurence klaurence@trinidadexpress.com

Saturday, May 26th 2007

Trinidad and Tobago track star Darrel Brown is the favourite for men's open and invitational 100 metres gold at the 2007 Hampton International Games.

Brown will face the starter at 6.45 this evening, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo, in a race he is expected to win. On May 5, the 22-year-old athlete clocked 10.02 seconds in winning his 2007 century opener, at the Jamaica International Invitational, in Kingston. He followed up that victory with a 10.13 seconds triumph six days later, at the Qatar IAAF World Super Tour 2007 meet, in Doha.

Brown is second on the 2007 IAAF performance list-behind Bahamian Derrick Atkins (9.98)-thanks to his 10.02 run in Jamaica.

The last time Brown competed at home, he clocked a personal best 9.99 seconds in finishing second to compatriot Marc Burns (9.96) in the 2005 Sagicor National Open Track and Field Championship men's 100m final. That race was the first-ever legal sub-10 100m dash in T&T. With the right conditions, another sub-10 run could be witnessed at Hampton 2007.

Among the sprinters expected to do battle with Brown at the Crawford Stadium today are Jamaicans Chris Williams and Marvin Anderson and Americans DaBryan Blanton, Mickey Grimes and Preston Perry.

Of the five, Grimes has the best PR (personal record)-9.99 seconds. However, he produced that clocking back in 2003, and has managed a legal 2007 best of just 10.37. Last Saturday, though, with a 2.1 metres per second wind at his back-just above the 2.0 legal limit-the 30-year-old sprinter clocked 10.19 seconds to finish second at a meet in Florida, USA.

Anderson's best clocking this season is a personal best 10.15. Blanton has run 10.17 in 2007, Williams 10.18 and Perry a personal best 10.30.

Brown is also expected to compete in tomorrow's men's 200m event. Jamaican Usain Bolt, T&T's Kevon Pierre, Dominica's Chris Lloyd and American Kyle Farmer are listed to face the starter in the half-lap race as well.

Quality performances are expected in today's women's 100m dash. Reigning Commonwealth Games 100m champion Sheri-Ann Brooks, of Jamaica, T&T's Fana Ashby and British Virgin Islands sprinter Tahesia Harrigan head the list of entries, which also includes Ivory Coast athlete Cynthia Niako.

Also on the day one programme are the men's and women's 400m events, as well as the men's 800m.

The men's one-lap race is expected to feature Grenada's two-time world indoor champion Alleyne Francique, Bahamian Andrae Williams, American Obra Hogans and T&T's reigning world junior champion Renny Quow, who clocked a personal best 45.62 seconds in finishing second at the Felix Sanchez Invitational, in the Dominican Republic, a fortnight ago.

The women's 400m field includes Americans Demetria Washington, Angel Perkins and Licretia Sibley. And in the men's 800m, T&T's Sherridan Kirk tackles Puerto Rican David Freeman and Haiti's Moise Joseph.

Starting time at the Crawford Stadium today and tomorrow is 1.30 p.m.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brown vs The rest
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 07:49:31 AM »
Well Brown manage to arrive in Trini late for the race, but Keston Bledman more than made up for his no-show with a 10.18+1.9w run in the u-20 men 100m dash. That' a new Pb for him, so hopefully he will be able to give Blake his Jamaican counterpart a better run for his money at Pan-Am Juniors, unlike Carifta.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 06:39:27 PM »
I understand brown run second in the 200m with 20.56 and bolt won it ...19.96 not bad  need to run a few more  to help him out

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 07:50:57 PM »
Note to Brown. Only come home to run if you can win the race.  You can't be a hometown star and get blasted by a Jamaican at home on your home soil.

I would never have put him in that race vs Bolt. On the good side, he is running 200s and that is my prayer from long time, so it really is about the bigger picture.  Brown is never going to win 200 titles or medals and that's ok - as long as he does in the 100m
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 08:27:43 PM »
Note to Brown. Only come home to run if you can win the race.  You can't be a hometown star and get blasted by a Jamaican at home on your home soil.

I would never have put him in that race vs Bolt. On the good side, he is running 200s and that is my prayer from long time, so it really is about the bigger picture.  Brown is never going to win 200 titles or medals and that's ok - as long as he does in the 100m

What is he missing that doesnt make him capable of winning the 200 as well Ato?

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 09:43:40 AM »
No real background in it, being massive right now, not liking the distance etc etc
BORN TO DO IT

1]; } ?>