April 29, 2024, 04:24:32 AM

Author Topic: WICB rejects Gayle as ODI captain  (Read 1392 times)

TrinInfinite

WICB rejects Gayle as ODI captain
« on: June 06, 2007, 09:26:07 PM »
WICB rejects Gayle as ODI captain   Wed, Jun 6, '07

A recommendation from the West Indies selection panel for seasoned batting all-rounder Chris Gayle to captain the team for the series of two Twenty/20 and three One-Day International (ODI) matches against England has been rejected by the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB).

According to a CMC Sports report, the WICB is in favour of Daren Ganga leading the side and will discuss the matter with chairman of selectors Gordon Greenidge in Antigua on Wednesday evening.

The report said the rejection of the nomination of Gayle was confirmed at a meeting of the WICB executive in Trinidad last Sunday after the squad was chosen the previous day.

The WICB originally said the ODI and 20/20 teams would have been picked last Saturday but the board's decision to dismiss the selectors' nomination means that there is a delay.

WICB corporate services manager told CaribbeanCricket.com the captaincy nomination will have to be cleared before the team is named and announced.

Ganga, who is Gayle's opening partner, is currently leading the Test side in the last two matches of the four-Test series against England after the injury to captain Ramnaresh Sarwan.

CMC Sports says former skipper Shivnarine Chanderpaul is expected to be vice-captain.

God is de BOSS....

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WICB rejects Gayle as ODI captain
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 02:21:10 AM »
the selectors dotish. the board right

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 05:04:59 AM »
the selectors dotish. the board right

Agreed.. That Mr Gayle is a heaping waste..
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline RRamdin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 03:44:18 PM »
Greenidge is an idiot as are the rest of the selectors. However I can see some rationale in picking Gayle maybe instead of Ganga, as Gayle is a senior, established player of the one day team whereas Ganga isnt. Who knows it may bring out the best in Gayle, but I doubt it.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 05:58:40 PM »
Greenidge is an idiot as are the rest of the selectors. However I can see some rationale in picking Gayle maybe instead of Ganga, as Gayle is a senior, established player of the one day team whereas Ganga isnt. Who knows it may bring out the best in Gayle, but I doubt it.
gayle performed ultimate mess when it mattered in the world cup so in my book he unestablish heself as a west indies cricketer. ganga should have always been on that team and i kept telling everyone before that we won't bat our 50 overs in several games because we have no one to anchor the innings and ganga is ideal for that - i would hope the selectors learnt their lesson

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 12:38:16 AM »
Greenidge and dem doh want to play Ganga in one day cricket.  If he was not a captain or de vice, dey could leave him off de squad all together.  Dat is wha going on.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 09:12:27 PM »
Gayle should captin yardies inc with samuel. dem 2 should not b on the side for their stella contribution in the WC. Is the real peter Principle with Greenidge etal.

Grenidge etal on this MB, jack etal on the next MB all yuh want to kill man
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 03:39:45 AM »
AS IF WE SEE MUCH STELLAR BATTING FROM THE OTHER FELLOWS.

Ganga is no 1 day player, sooo...

1]; } ?>