April 28, 2024, 10:04:15 AM

Author Topic: Courts Pro Bowl final match report  (Read 1855 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Courts Pro Bowl final match report
« on: May 27, 2007, 11:29:41 AM »
trying a ting here...

I took the drive down to Manny Ramjohn stadium and got down there around 730 pm, just in time to catch the end of the 3rd place playoff between Petrotrin and Defence Force... I must say, that game was going at snail's pace when I got there.. The score was 0-0 and nothing much was happening.. There was a glaring gulf in quality between this game and the final.. I think Petrotrin stole a late winner to finish in third place...

Now the first and foremost observation about the game was the crowd... Forumites... I eh go lie.. South have real woman!!

I was sitting on the high tier of the stands in front of the walkway where everybody does pass and I am not exaggerating to say every 2 mins my eye stray from the game to something passing... I am sure any other forumites who attended could corraborate this.. My brethren who I came down with even got up and left me to find a seat lower down away from the view of the walkway so that he could focus on the final to come...

Anyway, that aside, a real decent turnout for the final and I was told its becasue it was in South and they does real support dey sports...

So prematch festivities started after the 3rd place game around 8.. Just before the start of the game, they had a lil raising competition something hosted by Anil Roberts.. Well boy.. A young girl (she look like 12) come out the stands in T&T full kit, and start to raise the ball until they had to stop counting... And then just so end de whole competition by disdainfully kicking the ball in the air, grabbing the prize and walking off putting all the other skills men to shame.... That really got the crowd going...

Then there was the pre-match anthem and then a minute of silence for the passing of Elijah Joseph father.. Big up to him for turning out for the game under the circumstances and also condolences.

Anyway, tweet game start.. Connection in white, Superstar in Red and Blue.. The first half was controlled by W. Connection who looked classier on the ball... They were hustling and harrying in the midfield and there touches and control were much superior to Rangers.. Connection was always probing trying to spring Earl Jean... Then in about the 10th min, a man spring the offside trap and pass to jean to finish the play... From where i was it look offside..

Connection were in dominance by now and i heard it had a volley by Pacheco that get clear off the line but I miss that gaping at a ting in a stripes top only walking up and down..

The second goal by connection was a kinda defensive mixup.. A long ball forward to Toussaint and the last stopper come running across to intercept and the keeper come running wild outside the area and collide with his own defender leaving Toussaint to just walk the ball in..

At this point it was looking like a massacre could be on the cards.. Jemmot was ineffective and a strong man in Connection midfield was gobbling him up.. He was playing to high and got no time to collect the ball and make plays.. He eventually came off injured in the second half...

Second half was a different story... As soon as Jemmot came off the whole game change.. It look like Connection got complacent and Superstar rangers pull a goal back when Viana hold on to the ball long and make a poor clearance leading to a cross and headed goal... Then after that, Atiba Charles give a man a clumsy body check in the pk box for a penalty and the scores was level 2-2... And Superstar Rangers kept Connection on the backfoot for the rest of the half and nearly stole a winner...

Down to penalty kicks and the key moment was when Viveros missed his penalty but the linesman order a retake.. It was a dotish penalty kick, he take a big long run around the ball before running up to kick premeditated to the keeper's left and I find it was harsh to let him retake it.. That was the turning point and Connection won on penalties with Jan-Michael Williams the hero again..

All in all a great game and atmosphere.. The quality of the ball was good and the standard of the game definitely improved from the last time i saw a local game a couple years ago.. No setta beating and beating and also was heartening was good ball control and intelligent play by both sides.. Connection have some really promising players like Pacheco the left back, a youth man Calderon who come on and another defender was good too..

I also liked some of the marketing strategies too with Flyers being handed out, match programs being sold and questionnaires for prizes being distributed before the game.. I will definitely try to make it out to more games and support the pro league I think it has a lot of potential..

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Courts Pro Bowl final match report
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 11:46:53 AM »
Nice report and south have the best crowd support. Thats why the final was played there.

Petrotrin, Caledonia and Rangers are 3 very improve teams and this is good for the league as the top six teams anything can happen, not like before we had 2 good teams and the rest was garbage....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 01:19:10 PM »
Thanks fuh de report breddrin!

Ah sure meh breddrins Andre & Cowen would be most pleased to see a man travel to see de game in South.

Nuff horrors dey did gi we when we did meet up... ;D

Much thanx again.... :rotfl:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 01:46:55 PM »
Big Up to W Connection....nice match report

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 08:00:32 PM »
nice to get a report and hear that fellas actually making the trip down to south to see de games! Congrats to W Connection on de win
Back in Trini...

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 08:13:02 PM »
Very encouraging report dinho. Seems like Skeene, Romany and dem boys getting to bear fruit. I love to hear that crowds coming out and yuh find de ball skills encouraging. Niceness
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Girl Warrior

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 07:17:58 AM »
The Connection game was on par to the semi finals match of the week before in terms of excitement. Ah telling allyuh straight... meh heart cyar take this penalties thing. It not easy.
Anyway, what I want to say is that the Proleauge is trying to encourage the fans to come out. They made sure that there were alot of giveaways, eg. free cornsoup, nuts, doubles, pies... They provide good entertainment... Ziggy Rankin performed last Friday. Since Courts was the sponsor, the quarterfinal, semifinal and finals all had appliances as giveaways, coffee makers, foot-spa, etc.. They even gave away two 27" tv's to the fans. The questionnaires that they were giving out was for a chance to win the one of the tv's but it was a little more than just that. The information provided by the fans will hopefully be entered on a database so that they can get an idea of which clubs the fans support and they will be better able to assess marketing strategies etc. Guys, the crowds at the matches make a big difference, please make the effort to come out and support.
The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall... Che Guevara

1]; } ?>