April 27, 2024, 05:38:01 AM

Author Topic: Zidane returning to French national team  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Zidane returning to French national team
« on: August 03, 2005, 12:33:21 PM »

Zidane returning to French national team

By JEROME PUGMIRE, AP Sports Writer
August 3, 2005
PARIS (AP) -- Zinedine Zidane is coming out of international retirement to help France qualify for the 2006 World Cup.

``I have decided to come back for Les Bleus,'' Zidane said Wednesday on his official Web site, www.zidane.fr.

The 33-year-old Real Madrid midfielder, a brilliant playmaker who helped France win the 1998 World Cup and 2000 European Championship titles, retired from international soccer after last summer's European Championships in Portugal

ADVERTISEMENT

Zidane -- FIFA's world player of the year in 1998, 2000 and 2003 -- will start his comeback in an Aug. 17 exhibition against Ivory Coast and is available for crucial World Cup qualifiers beginning in September. Zidane has 93 international appearances and has scored 26 goals for France.

``The French team has given me so much and I want to help it,'' Zidane said. ``I told myself I did not have much time left in soccer, and I want to profit from it to the maximum.''

Claude Makelele, a 32-year-old central midfielder with Chelsea, also announced his return to the national side. A former teammate of Zidane at Madrid, Makelele had retired from international play after France was eliminated in the quarterfinals at the 2004 Euros. He was a key figure in Chelsea's run to the Premier League title last season.

``I am very satisfied that the French team can once again count on Zinedine Zidane and Claude Makelele ... very talented players who play at the highest level for their clubs,'' France coach Raymond Domenech said.

France has four qualifying matches remaining as it bids to reach next year's World Cup in Germany, beginning with a home game against the Faeroe Islands in Lens on Sept. 3 and two tough road games to Ireland and Switzerland.

France is struggling in its qualifying group. It has only 10 points from six matches and is in fourth place, three points behind group leader Ireland.

When he took over the French team in July last year, Domenech failed to persuade Zidane to stay. He was more successful during a recent trip to Madrid.

``We had a long discussion,'' Zidane said. ``I have always said the French team is the most important thing that has happened to me. I thought deeply about it and I want to play for France again.''

Zidane last played for France in the 1-0 quarterfinal defeat to Greece at Euro 2004. He scored three goals in that tournament -- including two in the opening 2-1 win over England.

Zidane scored on two headers in the 1998 World Cup final win over Brazil. In 2000, he starred again as France won its second European title -- scoring on a penalty to beat Portugal in the semifinals.

Since Domenech took over, France has won only three of 10 games, drawing seven and scoring only nine goals.

Updated on Wednesday, Aug

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Saltanfresh

• Sr. Warrior
  • Doi! Doi! Doi!....everytime
    • View Profile
Not beggin Latas but....................remember the prodigal son
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 12:52:05 PM »
Ah wonder if my all-time favorite TnT player is listening to what Zidane said about how much his national team has given him?

Russell Latapy, it is never too late to reconsider, we will gladly take yuh back as we prodigal son.

It is okay to dream right....................... ::)

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
Re: Zidane returning to French national team
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 02:11:26 PM »
Yes meh boy...dream on dream on i say. That man ain't comin back to play fuh we boy money looking to good.

"i wonder if a little reverse pshyc will work on the man?"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 02:19:47 PM »
It was only a matter of time.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 06:50:26 PM »
Take heed latas...please :'( please :'( please :'( Oh LARD AH BEGGING YUH please...sniff sniff.

i not crying...it have someting in meh eye!

lol, with or without latas, warriors all de way!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 08:26:31 PM »
FRANCE IS BACK BOY!!!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 09:57:02 PM »
allyuh ask zidane if he ever work under the TTFF for 20 yrs.....the little magician is king
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

1]; } ?>