March 28, 2024, 06:52:13 AM

Author Topic: Featured Player: Joel Bailey  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Featured Player: Joel Bailey
« on: May 30, 2007, 09:42:17 AM »
Featured Player: Joel Bailey
whitecapsfc.com

As one of several forward/midfield options in Bob Lilley’s side, Vancouver Whitecaps FC striker Joel Bailey is hoping to make a regular contribution this season.

Though he has yet to score his first goal for the club at this stage, the 27-year-old has been a positive influence in helping the defending USL-1 champions to the top of the standings after eight games played.

With three starts and four substitute appearances under his belt this season, Bailey has been unfortunate not to sit alongside the likes of Eddy Sebrango and Joey Gjertsen in the club’s goalscoring list so far. Yet, a trip to Montreal on Friday evening may bring an ironic change in fortunes for the Trinidad & Tobago native.

It was from the Quebec-based club that Bailey made the move west to Vancouver this year, having spent the last three seasons with the Impact before Montreal head coach Nick De Santis opted not to retain the striker for the 2007 season. Despite the prospect of facing some of his former teammates, Bailey is only concerned with helping his current team claim a result. “I’d been there for three years and I have a lot of good friends there,” Bailey told whitecapsfc.com. “I’m looking forward to being back in the city for a bit, but as far as playing, I’m just going to do my job. It’s a big game because they’re on our heels for the top spot, so we’ve got to go over there and get the job done.”

A college stand-out at Wheeling Jesuit University in West Virginia, the speedy attacker’s first move to professional soccer came in 2003 when he joined the Major Indoor Soccer League side Cleveland Force. He admits the pro game has provided more of a mental challenge than from his time in college. “There are a lot of good players at the college level, but not at the same level of consistency,” Bailey said. “At the professional level, everyone is a good player, so it’s a bit harder to do the business. There’s a higher level of concentration that you have got to maintain.”

Bailey hopes his performances for the Whitecaps will lead to more international appearances for Trinidad & Tobago after getting the chance to play for his country in the recent Digicel Caribbean Cup tournament. Despite making four appearances for Wim Rijsbergen’s Soca Warriors, Bailey failed to earn a call-up for next month’s CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament in the US. “I think if I do well with the club, scoring goals or what not, then I might get a call-up in the future,” Bailey said.

As the USL-1 season concludes at the end of September, Bailey plans to continue playing by returning to the indoor game with MISL club Baltimore Blast. “I usually play year-round, both indoor and outdoor,” he said. “In the last couple of years, I’ve been between Cleveland, Montreal and Baltimore. I’m going to go back and play indoor this year. The team that has my indoor rights is Baltimore, so I’m probably going to end up there.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Re: Featured Player: Joel Bailey
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:54:43 AM »
Nice player!! I would prefer to see him in europe. He is of that quality. Just need to stop getting injured so often. Fack!!!  >:(

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Wheeling Jesuit inducts three into Athletic Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 02:57:21 PM »
Wheeling Jesuit inducts three into Athletic Hall of Fame
By Andrew Woodley (wjucardinals.com)

Wheeling Jesuit University inducted three new members into its Athletics Hall of Fame Saturday morning inside Erickson Alumni Center.

The 2018 inductees included Joel Bailey, Class of 2003 (men's soccer), Tina Amoroso-Crognale,Class of 1993 (women's soccer) and Ricky Moore, Class of 2004 (Cross Country/Track & Field).

Joel Bailey, Class of 2003 (San Fernando, Trinidad & Tobago/Naparima College), graduated as one of the finest men's soccer players in school history. Bailey was a three-time All-American from 2000-02 and a four-time All-Great Lakes Region selection. He was the NCAA statistical champion in points and goals per game at the conclusion of the 2000 season and was later named the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WVIAC) Player of the Year for his efforts. He was also the 1999 WVIAC Rookie of the Year and was a four-time All-WVIAC selection during his time with the Cardinals.

Bailey was a four-year member of the men's soccer team and helped lead the Cardinals to a WVIAC and Great Lakes Region Championship in 2000, before ending the season ranked No. 5 in the nation.

Bailey graduated with a marketing degree and went on to enjoy a six-year professional soccer career with the Montreal Impact, Vancouver Whitecaps, Baltimore Blast and Cleveland Force. He also competed as a member of the Trinidad & Tobago Senior National Team and made his international debut in 2007.

He currently works as a clerical for the Trinidad & Tobago Electricity Commission. Bailey and his wife, Sharon, live in Trinidad and Tobago with their three children, Gianluca (8), Dario (7) and Donato (7).

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 12:11:32 AM »
Congrats Joel, well deserved. He was a goal scoring machine!

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 08:53:01 AM »
the sports news caster on tv6?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 08:59:02 AM »
the sports news caster on tv6?

No.

Joely Bailey, former national player (second from left)

Joel Bailey, journalist

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 11:45:59 AM »
Look like Joel and Ronnie doing well in life ;D

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 05:44:56 PM »
Look like Joel and Ronnie doing well in life ;D