April 28, 2024, 10:00:08 AM

Author Topic: CLEVELAND V SAN ANTONIO  (Read 5265 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
CLEVELAND V SAN ANTONIO
« on: June 02, 2007, 09:42:08 PM »
game i thursday night.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CLEVELAND V SAN ANTONIO
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 09:45:15 PM »
I supportin the NKONTB it go be reallllllllllll hard 4 dem But the heir apparent has reached the final.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 12:32:55 PM »
I predict a spurs winning 4-1, however another superhuman performance from Prince James could result in ah 4-2 spurs win...the games should be close, i dont expect spurs to blow out cavs because lebron will keep his team in the game but the cavs is simply cannot equipped to beat the spurs right now.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 12:35:01 PM »
I predict a spurs winning 4-1, however another superhuman performance from Prince James could result in ah 4-2 spurs win...the games should be close, i dont expect spurs to blow out cavs because lebron will keep his team in the game but the cavs is simply cannot equipped to beat the spurs right now.

hmmm...people was saying dat Cavs couldn't beat Pistons either yuh know.  Doh count dem out jes yet.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 01:18:05 PM »

hmmm...people was saying dat Cavs couldn't beat Pistons either yuh know.  Doh count dem out jes yet.
yuh have ah point,look how warriors dismantle dallas.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 01:55:17 PM »
I picking the cavs.  part of it is dislike for the spurs, but I feel confident with that pick.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 09:21:20 AM »
Position-By-Position Matchups for the NBA Finals
By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer
Posted Jun 3 2007 6:48PM
http://www.nba.com/nba_news/position_by_position_matchups_nba_finals.html

A position-by-position look at the matchups in the NBA finals between the San Antonio Spurs and Cleveland Cavaliers.

CENTER: Fabricio Oberto vs. Zydrunas Ilgauskas.
The Spurs rarely run plays for Oberto, but he makes the most of his chances, shooting 67 percent in the postseason. He had three double-figure scoring games in the Western Conference finals. Ilgauskas, still one of the best offensive centers in the Eastern Conference, is shooting 52.5 percent in the playoffs. The Cavs usually look for him early in each half.
Edge: Cavaliers.

POWER FORWARD: Tim Duncan vs. Drew Gooden.
A three-time NBA finals MVP, Duncan has been at the top of his game in this postseason, averaging 23.2 points and 11.4 rebounds while shooting 53.9 percent from the field and playing excellent defense. The Cavaliers' best hope here might be that reserve Anderson Varejao can frustrate Duncan, but rarely does Duncan seem bothered by anything.
Edge: Spurs.

SMALL FORWARD: Bruce Bowen vs. LeBron James.
Bowen is one of the NBA's top perimeter defenders and has agitated a number of offensive stars with his tactics, including Steve Nash during the second round. But he struggled when matched against Deron Williams in the conference finals and now gets an even tougher test. When James aggressively attacks the basket, nobody in the NBA can stop him, and if the Spurs force him to give up the ball, he'll usually get it to teammates in the right spot.
Edge: Cavaliers.

SHOOTING GUARD: Michael Finley vs. Sasha Pavlovic.
Finally getting his shot at a ring, Finley is still a dangerous outside shooter who fits in perfectly with the veteran Spurs. Pavlovic averaged 16 points in the first two games of the East semifinals, but his game has stalled since. He has scored in double figures only twice in the last 10 games, and shot just 6-for-24 in the last three.

POINT GUARD: Tony Parker vs. Larry Hughes.
The Spurs are no longer solely a halfcourt team, thanks to the continue improvement of the speedy Parker. His ability to break down defenses and set up San Antonio's 3-point shooters opens things up for Duncan, and his own jumper has become more reliable. Hughes will try to contain him on a sore foot and hope to provide some offense at the same time, but his shot has been shaky in the postseason. Rookie Daniel Gibson, who scored a career-high 31 points in the conference finals clincher, has taken some of the pressure off with his strong play.

RESERVES: Manu Ginobili, Robert Horry, Brent Barry, Jacque Vaughn and Francisco Elson vs. Varejao, Gibson, Donyell Marshall, Damon Jones and Eric Snow.
The Cavs' best lineup might be when they have Varejao on the floor for energy and rebounding, along with Gibson and Marshall or Jones for perimeter shooting. Ginobili is one of the NBA's top sixth men, playing starter's minutes. Barry and Horry, a clutch postseason performer, must be watched around the 3-point line.

COACHES: Gregg Popovich vs. Mike Brown.
Brown spent three years as Popovich's assistant and has turned the Cavs into a team that is every bit as tough as the Spurs on the defensive end. The Cavs have won 50 games in each of his two seasons. But experience counts extra this time of year, and three victorious trips to the finals have given Popovich plenty of it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 09:23:35 AM by Bitter »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 12:25:58 PM »
this will definitly be an uphill battle fuh king james and co.but if by some miracle pull of an upset like golden state did with dallas they deserve the championship.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 02:18:22 PM »
sorry ah gonna miss game one because ah would be at the GC watching de real battle  ;D but I feel King James gonna put up ah good fight...it's LeBron's time to shine...remember Spurs struggle to put up points at times and dey free throws does kill them down the strecth..so if is ah high scoring game..ah will give the edge to Cavs...ah hoping for a Cavs win, but expecting Spurs in 6...if it goes to seven...CAVS!!!  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 01:53:08 PM »
This writer, while a fan of LeBron, gives the edge to the Spurs.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6886500?MSNHPHMA
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 01:54:33 PM »
I picking the cavs.  part of it is dislike for the spurs, but I feel confident with that pick.

I pick de Cavs too but mainly because ah does always support de underdog and Cavs going een as de underdog.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 01:23:44 PM »
spurs take game one 85-76.lebron was under control last nite.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 02:56:06 PM »
If dem fellahs could figure out ah way to shut dong T.Parker...dey have ah chance...cause duncan go get his pojnts regardless,,but he cyah win de whole series

If not dey coo coo cook

ah watchin dis sunday night blowout at halftime.....ah cyah watch no more

cleveland go hadda re group for game 3 at home
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 08:44:02 PM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 10:12:16 PM »
Cleveland come back to cut the lead to 8, Spurs win by 11 in the end. 103-92 But it wasn't really that close.
My only worry about the spurs is that Popvich tends to get conservative in the 4th, which is what lets the Cavs back into these games. I think in game 3, if the spurs get another 20 point lead, they have to keep running and demoralize the Cavs.

Right now Tony Parker is the finals MVP for me.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 07:06:53 AM »
Cavs simply overmatched vs. Spurs 
 Charley Rosen
FOXSports.com, Updated 2 hours ago   STORY TOOLS:
With only slight variations, Game 2 was a virtual replay of Game 1.

FOX Bite
Videos

Cleveland rocked
Eric Snow and Daniel Gibson talk to FSN from the Cleveland locker room. The Cavs lost to the Spurs in Game 2 of the NBA Finals 103-92.

Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili were well-nigh unstoppable.
Despite his numbers, LeBron James wasn't much of a factor. Daniel Gibson played like an All-Star.

The final score, 103-92, looked to be semi-respectable, but the Spurs had the game in their pocket until they got careless — or was it bored? — in the fourth quarter. The Cavs made a move late (too late) but never mounted a serious threat.

The Spurs played well enough to assert their superiority, but poorly enough to put a burr under Pop's saddle.

Let's take a closer look at some of the specifics.

When Duncan was allowed to work against Zydrunas Ilgauskas one-on-one in the pivot, TD hit a difficult jump hook and also had the ball stripped by the Z-man. As advertised, Ilgauskas did a yeoman's job on both sequences.

However, after the turnover (Duncan's only one of the game), Duncan stepped farther away from the basket and received the ball in the vicinity of the foul line. From there, he could face up Ilgauskas, thereby minimizing the big fellow's edge in size and reach while capitalizing on Z's limited ability to move laterally. After TD hit a 17-foot jumper and then drove for a layup, Anderson Varejao was in and Ilguaskas was out.

Later, when Duncan caught the ball on the left wing and the Cavs were itching to jump his dribble, TD simply dropped a pair of his patented bank shots. Once again, Duncan's stats were outstanding — 9-16 from the field, 9 rebounds, a game-high 8 assists, and 23 points.

And once again, the Cavs' defense had no answer for Duncan's versatility.

Cleveland had similar difficulty trying to stop No. 9. The Cavs tried several slightly different tactics in defense of Parker, all of them proving to be fruitless. When they gave him room to shoot, Parker responded by dropping 6-10 from mid- and long-range. When they hustled to pack the lane as he drove, he either beat one and all to the basket or else pulled up and dropped a flurry of floaters. As a result, Parker was even more dominant than he was in the opening game — 13-20 from the field for a game-high 30 points.

Ginobili, too, had another monster game — 5-11 shooting, 11-11 from the line, 25 points. What especially hurt the Cavs was Ginobili's shooting 4-6 from downtown.

All told, SA's Big Three shot 27-47 (a combined 57.4%) and totaled 78 points. In Game 3, the Cavs absolutely must concentrate on shutting down one of these guys. Their best bet would be to double Duncan on the move and hope that Parker, Ginobili and company don't shoot as well on the road as they have so far at home.

But the Spurs had other heroes. Like Robert Horry — 9 boards, 4 assists, 5 blocks, and 5 points; Francisco Elson — 3-3 from the floor, 2 offensive rebounds, 6 points. And that's to say nothing of Bruce Bowen's stalwart defense on LeBron James.

After being outplayed in Game 1, the Cavs did make some tweaks in their game plan, but they were largely unsuccessful.

The Spurs doubled LeBron on virtually every screen/roll and once more limited his penetration in half-court sets. Otherwise, their aim was to let LBJ shoot outside jumpers until his right arm got tired — a good move considering he was 0-6 from the perimeter. Indeed, LeBron's low-release necessitates his compromising his own balance by leaning backwards in order to get any loft to his shots. Sure, he can sometimes enjoy extended hot streaks, but James still lacks a consistent stroke. And this is the most grievous flaw in his offense. Perhaps the Cavs can find a way to entice Chip Engelland to leave San Antonio and have him do for LBJ what he's done for Parker.

For most of the second half, James managed to drive the lane on a more consistent basis in early-offense sequences and also when the Cavs ran S/Rs at the left foul-line extended. But included in his numbers — 9-21 FG, 6 assists, 6 TO, and 25 points were five missed layups.

Cleveland did run LeBron off weak-side screens on three occasions: He got fouled twice and also shot a 15-foot air-ball.

advertisement

STORY TOOLS:

print   
send   
blog   
RSS   LIKE THIS STORY?

Beginning midway through the third quarter, LeBron reverted to the strategy that jammed the Pistons in Game 6 of the previous series — enticing the defense to double high S/Rs, then dribbling here, there, and everywhere until he spotted an open shooter. This re-adjustment worked for a while, especially when the Cavs had their 3-point threats — Gibson, Donyell Marshall, and Damon Jones — on the court. These three were 5-11 from 3-point land, mostly as a result of LBJ's radar passes.

At the same time, Gibson, Marshall, and Jones were spectacularly inept on the defensive end.

In addition to the positive new wrinkles shown by the Cavs, some parts of their performance deteriorated, the most significant being the failure of their big men to adequately show on the Spurs' weak-side screens. Also, where Drew Gooden had some success in posting up TD in Game 1, he rarely got the chance to do the same on Sunday night. The fact is that while Duncan is a superb help-defender, his posture is too erect for him to be a dominant one-on-one defender. Gooden's assortment of turnaround jumpers and driving jump-hooks are sufficient to either score beaucoup buckets, induce Duncan into fouling him, and/or force the Spurs to double-down.

As foreshadowed in Game 1, Sasha Pavlovic was able to carry the ball to the basket on a series of powerful drives. However, while Pavlovic scored 10 points on 4-11 shooting, he missed four layups (including a dunk).

In any case, the outcome of both of the opening games was not really about the adjustments that the Cavs either made or didn't make. Nor their lack of confidence, nor their need to step up their intensity. The simple, undeniable truth is that the Spurs are a better ball club in every aspect of the game.

San Antonio has a more varied offense, has the swiftest quickest and most precise defensive rotations in the league, and is certainly one of the most intelligent teams ever. Meanwhile, Cleveland is limited offensively, slow defensively, and not yet ready for prime time. Surviving the playoffs in the weak Eastern Conference is a big enough step in the right direction for the Cavs, whose core players are still wet behind the ears. And getting there was all the fun.

If the Spurs are a finished masterpiece, then the Cavs are still a work in progress. Can the Cavs win a game or two in Cleveland?

Possibly one. Impossibly two.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 09:47:18 PM »
I opening a store in San Antonio - I selling brooms.

I never liked the 2-3-2 format of the finals b/c there is a pretty good chance that the better team clinches on the road. It wouldn't make a difference in this case (2-2-1-1-1) but normally unless the series is close, you have to clinch on the road. Big championship and the crowd quiet quiet.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 07:11:14 AM »
cleveland on de brink after losin game three 75-72.cavs need players to step up when lebron havin ah off nite,they lackin bad bad.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 03:21:52 PM »
Is really detroit is the better match up for S.A. oui

ah well,,look like tomorrow night cleveland story done
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 05:23:06 PM »
it was obvious before this series start that cavs couldnt match up at all against the spurs but it turned worse than i expected...i expected the series to last at least 5 games but it eh looking so....no one man side can win the NBA finals.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 09:42:02 PM »
Spurs win even when they not playing well. Or rather, when thier "stars" not playing well.
I have Parker down for MVP.
The pundits will say that Cleveland will be back, but I'm not sure, they got a nice path through this time. LeBron need some help.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 09:55:19 PM »
Look, dey about to hand out the world champion trophy to some old guy in a suit.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 07:07:21 AM »
Spurs are still the NBA's best 
 Mike Kahn
Special to FOXSports.com, Updated 5 hours ago   STORY TOOLS:                         

Now it's a fait accompli for the San Antonio Spurs, completing the sweep of the Cleveland Cavaliers to win their fourth NBA title in nine years and third in five – proving that coach/executive Gregg Popovich still has put together the best organization in the NBA and has stepped into Hall of Fame territory for good.

As usual, it wasn't pretty, with their tenacious individual and team defense preventing young Cleveland superstar LeBron James from ever getting off in the series, and holding the often hideous Cavs offense to just 80.5 points a game, with James making just 32-of-90 from the field during the four games.
To win this championship, however, it was young point guard Tony Parker stealing the Most Valuable Player trophy from Tim Duncan, who had won three previously – although Manu Ginobili should have won in 2005. Nevertheless, the Spurs joined the Boston Celtics (8 from 1957-65), Chicago Bulls (6 from 1991-98), Los Angeles Lakers (5 from 1980-88) and Minneapolis Lakers (5 from 1949-54) as the only franchises to win as many as four titles in less than 10 seasons.

Parker, whose upcoming marriage to actress Eva Longoria often masks what an exceptional young point guard he really is, was magnificent the entire season and gained momentum in the playoffs. However, the Finals proved to be the exclamation point to complete the evolution of the Belgian-born, French-raised Parker into stardom if it wasn't quite official before. With uncommon quickness and now a deadly pull-up jumper all the way out to 3-point range to match, he is nearly impossible to stop.

The Cavs just hoped to slow him down, and rarely did.

He set the tone early Thursday night, sank 10-of-12 to start the game, and finished with 24 – along with 7 key rebounds. But the Spurs weren't particularly sharp in Game 4, just as they weren't in the ugly 75-72 win in Game 3.

It was a nightmare for Popovich at the free throw line, missing 13 of 25 free throws until the final 2 ½ minutes and they finished 8-of-9 to wrap up an often confounding game that was bereft any consistent offense. Mostly it was Ginobili, truly unguardable down the stretch after a terrible Game 3 in which he didn't score until 3 free throws in the final 10 seconds to ice the game. This time around, he had 13 of his 27 points in the fourth quarter – slicing through defenders to the rim, drawing fouls or draining perimeter jumpers.

And while it was Parker who set the table, with Ginobili cleaning it up, there was Duncan steadily keeping it all together despite a second consecutive bad night offensively. Duncan had just 12 points, but he also had 15 rebounds and 2 blocks – forever the immovable force in the middle on defense and coming up with the loose balls around the basket.

But the Cavs hung around, if only because the Spurs couldn't make free throws. James was struggling all night – 10-of-30 – from the field, and as usual, nobody was helping him, either. The starting lineup was just 23-of-66 from the field, completely befuddled by the Spurs defense and All-World defender Bruce Bowen completed a spectacular defensive run in the playoffs by sticking to James like flypaper.

Finally, the Spurs offense went dead late in the third quarter and early fourth, awakening the dormant Cleveland fans – so crushed in their first trip to the Finals by their team's inability to establish anything – into a state of frenzy. The Cavaliers defense orchestrated by former Popovich assistant Mike Brown, held the Spurs without a point for more than six minutes with a 14-0 run to take a 63-60 lead .

James, who finished with 24 points, 10 assists and 6 rebounds (22.0 ppg., 7.8 apg, 7.0 rpg for the series) got extremely aggressive going to the glass and created for himself or others like Donyell Marshall and Anderson Varejao. Their 61-60 advantage was the first lead in the second half they held the entire series.

But after the 63-60 lead, the Spurs' gauntlet came down and their answer came in the form of a 12-3 run and the Cavs never led again after that 2:30 minute stretch they all savored. The Spurs took over the boards against a great rebounding Cleveland team – at one point had four separate possessions from offensive rebounds with Fabricio Oberto helping Duncan in the middle of the fray. Indeed, the Cavs got within a point at the end, but it was really just flotsam because of some odd timing and fouls – but never serious because Ginobili was deadly on his free throws and a meaningless 3-pointer at the buzzer from Cavs reserve Damon Jones ended the contest.

Perhaps this dominance was misleading because the Spurs and at least a handful of other teams in the West were very likely capable of manhandling the Cavs out of the horrid East. More importantly, this produced the first title for veterans Michael Finley, surprising Jacque Vaughn and Oberto among the key contributors. It was the second for Brent Barry, third for Parker and Ginobili, and Duncan is the only one left from the 1999 title in his fourth. But count 7 rings for 37-year-old Robert Horry, only the second player to win titles with three teams (two with Houston and 3 with the Lakers), second with the Spurs, and said after the game he's got one more in him.

advertisement

STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   
blog   
RSS   LIKE THIS STORY?

That brings us back to Popovich, both the architect and coach of this regime. With 8 players over 30, they were the oldest team in the league this season, and in the end, it spoke volumes against a Cavs team that had only Eric Snow with Finals experience and he played all of 41 minutes in the series

So whether Pop will gamble bringing back all of the guys or begin to reload again around Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Bowen, remains to be seen. No doubt, the rest of the league promises to feature plenty of turnover in personnel, but considering the Spurs overall age, it could require some merely minor tinkering since those guys have so much left.

In fact, despite their circuitous route this season, with the 25-year-old Parker running the show in a point guard dominated league, when it comes to unseating the Spurs, you just might say, Bon chance.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 07:59:33 AM »
I was really thinking that Lebron could lead his team to at least a victory or two, but I guess it wasn't to be.  Interesting to see if Spurs can repeat next year, that's the only thing that's eluded them.

on to MLB and MLS season.

1]; } ?>