April 23, 2024, 09:21:53 PM

Author Topic: Tyson Gay 9.76 (wind aided)  (Read 4261 times)

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tyson Gay 9.76 (wind aided)
« on: June 03, 2007, 01:08:07 PM »
Gay wins 100 at Reebok GP

By DOUG FEINBERG, AP Sports Writer
June 2, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- A little gust of wind cost Tyson Gay a world record.

Gay won the men's 100 in 9.76 seconds at the Reebok Grand Prix on Saturday night, but the wind was at 2.2 mph, slightly more than the allowable margin of 2.0.

"I had a bad feeling," the American said. "In the blocks I was pretty sure the wind was high. It had calmed down a bit, but not enough."

Asafa Powell of Jamaica holds the world record in the men's 100 at 9.77.

Gay bolted from the blocks and powered past the field with the wind at his back. Two weeks earlier, he ran a 9.79 at the Adidas Track Classic -- which would have tied the American record, but that wind was at 2.5.

"I don't run to chase world records," Gay said. "I'm not frustrated at all, I'm just happy to win the race."

Gay's time was the second fastest ever regardless of the wind. Obadele Thompson ran a 9.69 in April 1996, when the wind was over 5 mph.

Earlier, Veronica Campbell of Jamaica edged out Torri Edwards to take the women's 100 in 10.93.

Soon after Gay's sprint, Alan Webb surprised the field taking the men's 1,500. Webb blew past Bernard Lagat in the final 100 meters to take the victory in 3:52.94.

"With 100 to go, I gave it everything I had and the rest is history," Webb said.

Pole vaulter Jenn Stuczynski, fresh off ending Stacy Dragila's 11-year reign as the American record-holder in the women's pole vault, became the third woman to clear 16 feet.

"It's exciting," Stuczynski said. "I wanted to be the first American to clear 16 feet. With the conditions it was highly unlikely with the winds, but I just kept fighting through it."

She had cleared 15 feet, 10 1/2 inches at the Adidas Track Classic two weeks ago, taking down Dragila's three-year-old mark of 15-10.

Having already clinched the victory Saturday, Stuczynski put the bar at 16-0. She missed her first two attempts before narrowly getting over the bar on her last try.

"My first two jumps were close and I knew I could jump it," she said.

The 25-year-old then put the bar at 16-6, trying to break the world record of 16-5.25 held by Yelena Isinbayeva, but fell short. Svetlana Feofanova is the only other woman to clear 16-0.

Dragila was supposed to compete, but withdrew because her left Achilles' tendon was bothering her. She is still recovering from Achilles' tendon surgery a year ago.

World record-holder Liu Xiang of China won the 110 hurdles, edging Terrence Trammell with a time of 12.92. After two false starts, Liu got out slowly from the blocks and trailed Trammell until the ninth hurdle when he took over.

"I just got to New York and was still a bit jet-lagged," Liu said through a translator. "The first half of the race wasn't very good, but the second half I caught up and am very excited."

Trammell finished second in 12.95.

In front of a raucous pro-Jamaican crowd, Campbell came out slow from the blocks after a first false start, but powered past Edwards with 15 meters to go.

"I stayed positive and waited till the last 15 meters," Campbell said. "I knew I would get there. As far as the worlds I feel good and pray I can stay healthy."

The world championships are at the end of August in Osaka, Japan.

The 25-year-old Campbell, who won the gold medal in the 200 and bronze in the 100 at the 2004 Olympic Games, missed most of last season with a quadriceps injury.

"I'm not setting any time goals," Campbell said. "I just am going to run one race at a time."

Edwards wasn't disappointed with her second place finish.

"I'm happy I'm in the 10s consistently now," said Edwards, who finished in 10.96. "I tied up at the end of the race and got out slow."

She'll run both the 100 and 200 at the nationals at the end of June.

Wallace Spearmon beat Jamaican Usain Bolt in the men's 200, finishing in 19.82. The two were neck and neck for the final 75 meters before Spearmon edged him at the finish. It's the second fastest time in the world this year.

Rachelle Smith won the women's 200 in 22.31. High school phenom Bianca Knight from Mississippi pulled out before the race when she didn't feel well warming up. Knight is the national high school record holder in the event, running a 22.97 indoors, breaking the mark held by current world champion Allyson Felix.

Felix won the women's 400 in 50.53. She came in third earlier in the women's 100 running 11.01.

In other running events: Hazel Clark won the women's 800 in 1:59.07, the fastest time for an American this year; Khadevis Robinson won the 800 for the second straight year in 1:46.38; Canadian Malindi Elmore won the women's 1,500 in 4:07.01; Canadian Tyler Christopher won the men's 400 in 44.93; James Carter took the 400 hurdles in 48.37; Virginia Powell won the 100 hurdles in 12.45; and Ethiopian Tariku Bekele won the 5,000 in 13:04.05 -- the fastest time in the world this year.

Fellow Ethiopian Tirunesh Dibaba fell short in her attempt to break the women's 5,000 record -- set last year at the meet -- finishing in 14:35.67.

Jarred Rome won the men's discus with a toss of 219-3. Becky Breisch took the women's discus with a toss of 203-3. Giovanni Lanaro of Mexico won the men's pole vault, clearing 18-8.25.

Reebok Grand Prix - New York City, NY (USA)
Saturday, June 02, 2007

Last Updated: 04:16:50 CET 03/06/2007

Official Result - Revised
Men - 100 Metres
Wind: +2.2 m/s 
Pos   Athlete Nat Mark   Pts

1   Gay Tyson USA 9.76   10
2   Atkins Derrick BAH 9.83   8
3   Crawford Shawn USA 9.96   7
4   Thomas Dwight JAM 10.08   6
5   Scott Leonard USA 10.10   5
6   Mullings Steve JAM 10.15   4
7   Blanton DaBryan USA 10.16   3
8   Phillips Dwight USA 10.25   2
9   Kimmons Trell USA 10.25     

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tyson Gay 9.76 (wind aided)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 01:30:41 PM »
I Just saw the race, and i am telling you the minute Gay really gets his start together, 9.77 will be a thing of the past. Only Asafa has comparable top-end speed to this guy.

Looks like this summer, we wil be going back to the 97'-99 summers with Ato and Mo running 9.8x frequently, but this tiime it will be Asafa and Gay.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 05:04:35 PM »
I Just saw the race, and i am telling you the minute Gay really gets his start together, 9.77 will be a thing of the past. Only Asafa has comparable top-end speed to this guy.

Looks like this summer, we wil be going back to the 97'-99 summers with Ato and Mo running 9.8x frequently, but this tiime it will be Asafa and Gay.

I putting Brown in that mix ...a lot of those sub 10 runners in this race were behind Brown when he won his two races.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 05:15:19 PM »
Well for those of you who haven't seen the race here it is.
http://folk.uio.no/perel/07RbKm100.mpg

Here it is from other angles.
http://folk.uio.no/perel/9.76critique.mpg

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 08:31:40 PM »
There is going to be a "gap" this year.  It will be in the 100m and it will be between those that are capable of running 20 flat and under who run the 100m and those who don't....

Allyson Felix is so hot right now it's not funny.  Miss "I run the 400 and 200 every week now" ran 11.01 last night, and no-one really noticed.  But I did.  She will be sub 11, 22 and 50 by year's end - which would put her in the company of one human in the planet's history - a woman with 3 Olympic Gold medals in 2 Olympics.  ???

There will be a gap this year....the 9.7-9.8 crowd, and the "sub tens who get no mention"...watch and see. Adkins from Bahamas is going to be in a hot race in Europe and run 9.8 mid to low very soon, as well. 

If Asafa races Gay 10 times this year and they are both healthy they will go 5-5 or Asafa 6-4.  Good thing these posts can be referred to at a later date, eh? 
BORN TO DO IT

Offline prodigy23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 12:57:45 AM »
There is going to be a "gap" this year. It will be in the 100m and it will be between those that are capable of running 20 flat and under who run the 100m and those who don't....

Allyson Felix is so hot right now it's not funny. Miss "I run the 400 and 200 every week now" ran 11.01 last night, and no-one really noticed. But I did. She will be sub 11, 22 and 50 by year's end - which would put her in the company of one human in the planet's history - a woman with 3 Olympic Gold medals in 2 Olympics. ???

There will be a gap this year....the 9.7-9.8 crowd, and the "sub tens who get no mention"...watch and see. Adkins from Bahamas is going to be in a hot race in Europe and run 9.8 mid to low very soon, as well.

If Asafa races Gay 10 times this year and they are both healthy they will go 5-5 or Asafa 6-4. Good thing these posts can be referred to at a later date, eh?

good commentry u basically called gay`s time. impressive!!!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 03:58:58 AM »
Yeah, I know the event a little bit. LOL.

I almost called it to the hudredth:

Sunday 3 June 2007

New York, USA - A warm Saturday evening in New York City suffered only for some fickle breezes at Icahn Stadium on Randall's Island. The Reebok Grand Prix, in its first year as a Grand Prix status event on the IAAF World Athletics Tour, saw world leading times in five events, one Area Record, and one blazing-fast, but slightly windy, 100m.

Gay – "Victory first, times will come"

Tyson Gay has been in a few windy races by now, and says he's almost his own wind gauge. "I could feel it picking up when I was in the blocks," he reported after tonight's race, "and I thought, calm down, calm down." It did, but not enough.

Gay took almost 70 metres to get clear of Bahamian Derrick Atkins, then stopped the clock at an eye-popping 9.76. The stadium held its breath waiting for the wind reading, having an eye on the flags already, and exhaled when it was announced as 2.2, faster than allowable for a World record. Still, Gay ran 9.79 two weeks ago with a 2.5 tailwind, and now 9.76 with 2.2.

"I don't think about how fast I might run unless someone tells me what they think I can run," said Gay. "Ato Boldon told me yesterday he thought I could run 9.74. I don't believe in chasing after a world record; I'd rather run for the victory and let the times come.”

"I may have the fastest time with a tailwind, and Asafa (Powell) has the fastest legal time," Gay went on, "but I don't think you can call this a rivalry until I run a World record, or I win a race against him. Until then, he's the World record holder, and he deserves that respect."

....But to be honest if you really study the race in Los Angeles 2 weeks ago, and see how well he is holding his top end when he gets to it, Stevie Wonder could see that WR is gone very soon, and Indianapolis, where the trials are in 2 weeks, is a faster track than both L.A and New York - it's where Flo-Jo (RIP) set her 100m World Record in 1988.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 08:09:29 AM »
I think TG will indeed get the record before Asafa does, most likely at US Nats because the minute he gets a good start i.e going through 60m in the 6.3x range like Asafa,Ben and Mon did on their runs he will have it. But when the big man gets rolling, he will want it back. So with that i say the record will get broken about 2-3 times this summer and i will go out on a limb and say that the final record will be between 9.68-9.72.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 11:21:51 AM »
Nah.

9.68 would mean that the record was broken by almost a full tenth from '05 (9.79) to '07 (9.68), discounting Mr headed to jail Balco Montgomery's "WR". No way. 

In the almost 40 years prior, it went from 9.9 to 9.7, so it won't go a tenth in 2 years.  Not in this event, it's too short.

I think 9.74 is as good as it gets....for now - and they may not even get to that....we may end with 9.76 WR by both of them.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 11:24:43 AM by atoboldon »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 01:25:50 PM »
Ato, when yuh runnin dat fast, yuh ever get insects stuck in yuh teet?

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 02:56:49 PM »

LOL yuh assss lol

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 04:47:13 PM »

ROTFLMAO

Rass man, Trinis is hell fi true.  (Picking myself up off the ground).

That mek mi day fi real.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 04:49:18 PM »
Yea my 9.68 prediction might be a little over board, but i still say the record gets broken twice this summer.

Peong u iz ah real arse boi. Have man laughing hard in a library and everybody watching meh like ah mad.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 05:18:29 PM »
Yea my 9.68 prediction might be a little over board, but i still say the record gets broken twice this summer.

Peong u iz ah real arse boi. Have man laughing hard in a library and everybody watching meh like ah mad.

Jah know, this have me laughing alll now. I can barely type.

Ato, yuh is mi bredrin and all, but this too funny to rass.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 09:58:13 PM »
Only if yuh grit yuh teeth, which I didn't do often. Good one. :rotfl:
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 09:42:22 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:   he mouth used to be closed dread

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

1]; } ?>