March 28, 2024, 09:44:53 AM

Author Topic: Photo of the day  (Read 258419 times)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of the day
« Reply #810 on: January 21, 2010, 06:05:50 PM »
Bueno Intento. I guess it means the place to do good deeds. The Spaniards was thinking about some place, thing or event in Spain. But nothing can beat the town of Hardbargain. How they come up with a name like that.

Re: Hardbargain

The Moruga Road passes through a series of villages known as Third, Fifth and Sixth Company. These names are the result of the settlement in Trinidad in 1815 and 1816 of six companies of negro soldiers who had fought alongside the British in the American war of 1812. These men had been slaves on American plantations and the British had offered them freedom if they would defect and fight for the British. At the end of the war the British brought them to Trinidad. In 1815, 50 men were brought to Trinidad, then in 1816, 34 men, 15 women and 7 children were brought.

The soldiers were each given 16 acres of virgin land for married men and 8 acres for single men. They were settled together in the companies under which they had fought in the war, hence the names of the villages and their being called The Company Villages. This area was chosen because it was remote country and far from the plantations. The planters did not want these men with a military past to be near their slaves for fear that they might lead the slaves in revolt.

The other soldiers from the companies were settled in other parts of Trinidad: the First Company was settled in Hindustan; part of the Third Company was settled in North Manzanilla. The Fourth Company was settled near to Hindustan in an area that came to be called HardBargain. The soldiers protested about the poor soil conditions in the area and said that they had been given a "hard bargain". After the protestations about the land condition part of the company was moved to an area that was called New Grant because these soldiers had been given a new grant of land.

According to Besson and Brereton in the Book of Trinidad, part of the Second Company was shipwrecked off the coast of Tobago and swam ashore and settled in Tobago.

There are however another group of Company Villages that are not as well known as those in the Moruga and Hindustan areas.

In October 1818 it was decided to disband part of the Third British West India Regiment which was comprised of Negro soldiers. According to Professor Brereton these were " free Africans who had served in the West India Regiments created by the British to defend the colonies during the long period when Britain and France were at war (1793-1815)". The British had intended to send these men back to Africa however the soldiers made it clear that they did not want to be repatriated to Africa. Thus in 1819 these soldiers were settled along the Cuare River in the companies they had fought in. The area in which they were settled became known as the Cuare Village and is today called Valencia.

The remainder of the Third British West India Regiment was disbanded in 1825 and 376 men, 35 women and 34 children were settled in Trinidad. These soldiers were again settled in companies and they were placed in four groups in a line from the Cuare River pointing in the direction of Manzanilla. The Cuare River (shown as Quare on some maps) in the area these soldiers were settled runs parallel to what is now known as the "Valencia Stretch" of the Eastern Main Road. One of the other areas where these groups were settled was known as Turure and another is the area now called Cumuto.

Part of the reason for settling these men in this area was again to keep them away from the slaves on the plantations. The other reason for this area was that they were expected to create and maintain a road that would run from Arima through Cuare (Valencia) to Manzanilla.

All of these soldiers were expected to remain in the villages in which they were settled. One group however ran away from Manzanilla and went to live in Fifth Company. This group was comprised of Mandingos and the area they settled in was and is still called Mandingo Road.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #811 on: January 21, 2010, 07:49:43 PM »
Cana the 2nd pic down on the left in yuh last set of thumbs, where is that?

It was a random house on the way to Moruga
uhmm I believed we had just turn right to go into La Lune Road.

I have a couple houses like that one. I dunno, but I see character....lots of it.

Actually you ran into my mind when I took a snap of the savannah. Because I remembered you said you lived around that area at one time. Lemme go find it.

Jumbie you made my pores raised with that explanation. I copied it and emailed it to my dad. I'm sure he'll appreciate that :beermug:

Fellas thanks much for the compliments. Cana put herself in ah photography course with NYIP. I ain't go lie, but this thing HARD  :-\ but it taking me places boy  ;D

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:53:46 PM by Prematie Bheem »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 21, 2010, 09:07:43 PM »

yeah very interesting architecture....i was taken by it too
will ask my pardnas if they know

ah pardna says that it is the Princes Court Guardian Insurance building
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 07:50:27 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 27, 2010, 09:10:46 PM »
whas de problem?...ent photos and art by extension supposed to be edgy ent? :devil:

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 27, 2010, 09:28:52 PM »
Jumbie,
              Re;Harbargain. That is the best. Thanx for the info.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #815 on: February 09, 2010, 09:07:42 PM »
Harbourfront Toronto and environs. 

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #816 on: February 10, 2010, 09:37:22 AM »
I am not going outside until spring..

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: February 10, 2010, 01:48:45 PM »

Don't you know canada has only 2 seasons, winter and August :rotfl: :beermug: :devil:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #818 on: February 10, 2010, 01:56:32 PM »

Don't you know canada has only 2 seasons, winter and August :rotfl: :beermug: :devil:
At least you're not in DC.
Meanwhile over here the daffodils were up and blooming on old year's night and the cherry and plums are blossoming as we speak.  ;D

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #819 on: February 10, 2010, 02:04:35 PM »
all yuh stop interfering with me nuh man.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: February 11, 2010, 07:48:24 AM »

At least you're not in DC.
Meanwhile over here the daffodils were up and blooming on old year's night and the cherry and plums are blossoming as we speak.  ;D

Girl and next couple of weeks I go be at my family beach house up Blanchisseuse, nuff beers

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 11, 2010, 05:41:39 PM »
whas de problem?...ent photos and art by extension supposed to be edgy ent? :devil:

man have ah lil tree pin tuh he nose oui! the return of the back tuh front donkey. WHOA! ..

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #822 on: February 11, 2010, 07:34:06 PM »
Ah likes she shoes.....

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 12, 2010, 07:23:38 PM »
hear nuh
that street car with the older building in the background is ah real sweet shot indeed
I go borrow it  ;D

wait it ent have ah watermark...ah go put one den
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #824 on: February 12, 2010, 08:58:59 PM »
hear nuh
that street car with the older building in the background is ah real sweet shot indeed
I go borrow it  ;D

you cannot be frigging serious!!!

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #825 on: February 12, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
hear nuh
I go borrow it  ;D

ya know
out of the 3198 members on here is only TWO that would think that I would NOT PUT YOUR name on YOUR photograph if in fact I was goin an use it or MAYBE this was just to rile you up as I knew HOW YOU would react  :P :P

But it is teh BEST photo you have posted on here....with the new contrasting to the old in the back
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 10:05:26 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 12, 2010, 10:14:19 PM »
Bueno Intento. I guess it means the place to do good deeds. The Spaniards was thinking about some place, thing or event in Spain. But nothing can beat the town of Hardbargain. How they come up with a name like that.

Re: Hardbargain

The Moruga Road passes through a series of villages known as Third, Fifth and Sixth Company. These names are the result of the settlement in Trinidad in 1815 and 1816 of six companies of negro soldiers who had fought alongside the British in the American war of 1812. These men had been slaves on American plantations and the British had offered them freedom if they would defect and fight for the British. At the end of the war the British brought them to Trinidad. In 1815, 50 men were brought to Trinidad, then in 1816, 34 men, 15 women and 7 children were brought.

The soldiers were each given 16 acres of virgin land for married men and 8 acres for single men. They were settled together in the companies under which they had fought in the war, hence the names of the villages and their being called The Company Villages. This area was chosen because it was remote country and far from the plantations. The planters did not want these men with a military past to be near their slaves for fear that they might lead the slaves in revolt.

The other soldiers from the companies were settled in other parts of Trinidad: the First Company was settled in Hindustan; part of the Third Company was settled in North Manzanilla. The Fourth Company was settled near to Hindustan in an area that came to be called HardBargain. The soldiers protested about the poor soil conditions in the area and said that they had been given a "hard bargain". After the protestations about the land condition part of the company was moved to an area that was called New Grant because these soldiers had been given a new grant of land.

According to Besson and Brereton in the Book of Trinidad, part of the Second Company was shipwrecked off the coast of Tobago and swam ashore and settled in Tobago.

There are however another group of Company Villages that are not as well known as those in the Moruga and Hindustan areas.

In October 1818 it was decided to disband part of the Third British West India Regiment which was comprised of Negro soldiers. According to Professor Brereton these were " free Africans who had served in the West India Regiments created by the British to defend the colonies during the long period when Britain and France were at war (1793-1815)". The British had intended to send these men back to Africa however the soldiers made it clear that they did not want to be repatriated to Africa. Thus in 1819 these soldiers were settled along the Cuare River in the companies they had fought in. The area in which they were settled became known as the Cuare Village and is today called Valencia.

The remainder of the Third British West India Regiment was disbanded in 1825 and 376 men, 35 women and 34 children were settled in Trinidad. These soldiers were again settled in companies and they were placed in four groups in a line from the Cuare River pointing in the direction of Manzanilla. The Cuare River (shown as Quare on some maps) in the area these soldiers were settled runs parallel to what is now known as the "Valencia Stretch" of the Eastern Main Road. One of the other areas where these groups were settled was known as Turure and another is the area now called Cumuto.

Part of the reason for settling these men in this area was again to keep them away from the slaves on the plantations. The other reason for this area was that they were expected to create and maintain a road that would run from Arima through Cuare (Valencia) to Manzanilla.

All of these soldiers were expected to remain in the villages in which they were settled. One group however ran away from Manzanilla and went to live in Fifth Company. This group was comprised of Mandingos and the area they settled in was and is still called Mandingo Road.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My father's mother's side lived in Hard Bargain" 'The Reyers' 'WongWais'

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #827 on: February 13, 2010, 02:24:39 AM »
hear nuh
I go borrow it  ;D

ya know
out of the 3198 members on here is only TWO that would think that I would NOT PUT YOUR name on YOUR photograph if in fact I was goin an use it or MAYBE this was just to rile you up as I knew HOW YOU would react  :P :P

But it is teh BEST photo you have posted on here....with the new contrasting to the old in the back

Rile me up? You having a memory lapse once again ?
Want me remind you ?

Seriously, Westcoast keep ya distance nah fella?  ::)

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 13, 2010, 09:29:55 AM »
hear nuh
I go borrow it  ;D

ya know

Want me remind you ?

yeah I keeping far away from a sociopathic predator
I am glad as hell that Davyjenny ent take ya bait ;)
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #829 on: February 13, 2010, 01:13:48 PM »
hear nuh
I go borrow it  ;D

ya know

Want me remind you ?

yeah I keeping far away from a sociopathic predator
I am glad as hell that Davyjenny ent take ya bait ;)

Hey, son of ah bitch, your day will come.
The distance going well up to now, try and keep it so.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: February 15, 2010, 12:56:31 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 15, 2010, 07:55:22 AM »

gat f$ckin nasty......photoshop is hs bitch :beermug: :devil:

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #832 on: February 15, 2010, 02:05:52 PM »

okay Kilo if you didn't say photoshop I won't nah know  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I now check by dey neck area. Tha's saucy head ent?

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 15, 2010, 03:15:26 PM »

okay Kilo if you didn't say photoshop I won't nah know  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I now check by dey neck area. Tha's saucy head ent?
If is saucy again....dey wicked tuh do dat boy wheyyyyy :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #834 on: February 15, 2010, 03:43:05 PM »
more icicles:

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #835 on: February 16, 2010, 06:53:33 PM »
Homewuk!  Reds and yellows thumbnails.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 19, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:22:04 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #837 on: February 21, 2010, 01:41:06 PM »
There is just one person that enjoyed Carnival 2010

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: February 21, 2010, 06:37:30 PM »
There is just one person that enjoyed Carnival 2010

Wold man doh know which side is up LOL....Por ting, he try to sell she some pipe  :rotfl: :beermug: :devil:

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: February 24, 2010, 01:11:53 PM »

Tall Man and he hard hat...

1]; } ?>