22 (88%)
No
0 (0%)
Hosting is a financial burden
3 (12%)
Not enough interest
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Gold Cup location  (Read 2161 times)

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
Gold Cup location
« on: June 05, 2007, 07:56:47 AM »
The reason I am putting this out there is because USA seems to have the monopoly on hosting the tournament giving them home field advantage all the time and I am sick of hearing US commentators bash other countries. Plus the lack of exposure the GOLD CUP gets in the media has always been a sore point as you have some 5 ESPN cable channels but you still have to sign up extra money to get Fox soccer. Most of the time only the US games are covered and it's who gives a shit about the rest.

USA on any given day can be beaten on the road but on thier home turf it is very difficult to beat them.  I think between the region there are enough resources to have the location vary every two years

What all yuh think?

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Gold Cup location
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 08:45:54 AM »
definetly should move around to build regional fan base.
Money will be a little less but fifa have nuff money to spend.
Take the surplus from the world cup and share it to promote the game world wide

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 08:53:08 AM »
I think it's mostly about finances, infrastructure and centrality (if that's a word).

Before the CONCACAF championship became the "Gold Cup" in 1989/90/91 (don't remember exactly when)......it was techinally hosted in various nations because It was actually a centralized tournament- I think the top WC qualifier was ultimately determined to be the CONCACAF Champion. Before 1963 only Central American & Caribbean countries were invited to participate.....so I guess it's all about evolution.

The USF might be a major stakeholder in the competition too, so that might play a huge part as well.

All in all the competition seems to have evolved signifantly over the decades, so who knows....we may see different hosts in times to come. (hopefully not Mexico though- otherwise there'd be no point in speculating who would win it all.)

p.s. The U.S. doesn't have much of a home field advantage against central american teams- especially not on the west coast....players & fans would tell you the same thing.

I remember reading up some stuff on it a while ago because I was interested in why it was a U.S. based tournament- don't remember too well so correct me if ah talkin' chupidness... ;D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 08:58:17 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 10:20:02 AM »
jack & he cronies in concacaf want to make $$$ off this.

given the amt of immigrants from the concacaf region in the US, they go sell nuff seat when mex, hon, CR, gua, el sal, haiti playing. look at how they locate the games.

who think they go fill up stadium so if it was in trinidad?...esp for the same ticket prices.

who go leave work in the east to deal with traffic to go see panama play cuba?

only games i see busting in terms of attendance go be the likes of canada vs. guadelope (nobody in miami going that except for real football head) and maybe panama vs. cuba.

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 10:41:47 AM »
yuh know people...that true...the GOLD CUP should be held in different country everytime the tournament come around....every other federation does it...only the concacaf don't...

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 10:54:59 AM »

given the amt of immigrants from the concacaf region in the US, they go sell nuff seat when mex, hon, CR, gua, el sal, haiti playing. look at how they locate the games.

who think they go fill up stadium so if it was in trinidad?...esp for the same ticket prices.

only games i see busting in terms of attendance go be the likes of canada vs. guadelope (nobody in miami going that except for real football head) and maybe panama vs. cuba.

what yuh saying dey is true.....but atleast rotate through canada US and mexico. i would rather see that.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »

what yuh saying dey is true.....but atleast rotate through canada US and mexico. i would rather see that.

Yes that would be satisfactory, I think those three best represent the region through the large immigrant and migrant populations, so that game attendance will always be close to capacity plus they have the experience hosting major tournaments.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »
Nah I feel overall game attendance in Mexico or Canada will not be as high as in the US.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 02:25:14 PM »
Nah I feel overall game attendance in Mexico or Canada will not be as high as in the US.

That is true even for the World Cup. The US had the highest attendance in '94 - partly due to larger venues available. But the WC still moves around.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 03:11:36 PM »
Or at least have it on the west coast one year, or the northest, or southeat. It is too much travelling for such a small tournament.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 03:13:43 PM »
Or at least have it on the west coast one year, or the northest, or southeat. It is too much travelling for such a small tournament.

Now that I can agree with. The US is just to big and it doesn't allow most people to get to all the games when they are spread out like that. When the Olympics come they are in and around a single city. It's particularly nuts the way they split up the opening rounds, LA and Boston  ???

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 07:12:21 PM »
Guys this entire GC is like deja-vu. Rewind to 1972 when TT hosted the Concacaf tournament. TFA and the players were at loggerhead. Guess what is was for ? Money!!! of course.  They went on strike for money just before the tounament The pros (Archie, Dilly, Gally, Grell) refuse to play. TFA was going to use the U-23. Spann, Mitchel, etc. Eventually the players back down. Jimmy Springer, who many(in my time) believed was the best mid field player in TT at the time refused. We never heard a thing about him ever. Suffice to say we did poorly in the tournament. The attendance was not that bad, but would have been greater if the pros had played. Haiti thrased us 6-1 in Arima. We tied El Sal., and Honduras. Lost 2-0 to Mex. in the Oval(I was a ball-boy) and beat CR 3-1. So you see this is a normal thing. So Jack learned from the previous heads.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 10:30:37 AM »

Now that I can agree with. The US is just to big and it doesn't allow most people to get to all the games when they are spread out like that. When the Olympics come they are in and around a single city. It's particularly nuts the way they split up the opening rounds, LA and Boston  ???

yeah but in the US you have all different natl and ethnic groups that are willing to see their country play. If it was held elsewhere, you'd have literally nobody at guadeloupe, haiti, etc games
Hart for president

1]; } ?>