April 25, 2024, 03:18:19 PM

Author Topic: Friendlies  (Read 1572 times)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Friendlies
« on: March 24, 2005, 10:32:08 AM »
I see Guatemala has played 6 matches since the last WCQ, one against Haiti and 5 in the UNCAF tournament.  They won 4 (haiti, belize, nicaragua, panama), drew 1 (honduras), and lost to Costa Rica.  My question is did they use their full side in that UNCAF tournament or a second 11?  I know most of their squad is based at home so they have been training together much more than we, but I just wondering if their full side has had any match practice against quality opposition?

Doh forget the USA in the same boat as us, plenty of their key players just reach from Europe this week and they will not be playing any friendlies before Mexico.  Plenty men that played against Honduras and Columbia will not be in their WC squad.  And doh forget we played 3 digicel matches with quite a few of our world cup players there.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 10:35:16 AM by arrow »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Friendlies
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 08:21:17 PM »
So in fairness to BSC , here is what the U.S.A.  coach has to say and what they have been doing with their line up:

The Americans, who won 2-1 last month at Trinidad and Tobago in their final-round opener, will spend this week training in Colorado Springs, joined by 10 to 12 Europe-based players who have finished up play overseas. Those players are expected to dominate the starting lineup in Mexico City and include international stars such as midfielder Landon Donovan, forward Brian McBride and goalie Kasey Keller.

``We will have a different team in Mexico,'' Arena said. ``Perhaps we'll have different teams for the games against Mexico and Guatemala. We'll have about 24 players in camp and from there we'll make decisions.'' While Arena sidestepped a question on whether this will be the strongest team the Americans take to the smog and altitude of Mexico City, midfielder Pablo Mastroeni likes the team's chances.

``It's going to be a great challenge in a great environment,'' Mastroeni said. ``This is what we live to do, to play in front of 100,000 people. With the decent camp we've had and the effort the guys have put out and the results we've gotten ... I think we're ready.''

1]; } ?>