April 28, 2024, 11:40:17 PM

Author Topic: Eddie Johnson Thread  (Read 15134 times)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Eddie Johnson Thread
« on: August 04, 2005, 02:56:35 PM »
Eddie Johnson is healthy again. He came off the bench for Dallas yesterday and scored on a PK. Should be all set to play in the upcoming qualifier.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=338047&cc=5901

Bad news for you guys.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:27:36 PM by Tallman »
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Justice is what de youths dem need overall..."
    • View Profile
Re: Eddie Johnson likely to play for US in qualifier
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 05:23:57 PM »
Why yuh en come in section 223 and say dat on de 17th!!!!

yuh surely get mash up!
"...de way dem deal wit Mankind all mih gyal start bawl.."

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 08:03:18 AM »
Why yuh en come in section 223 and say dat on de 17th!!!!

yuh surely get mash up!

lol...hahahahaha

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 11:16:19 PM »
I feel Eddie johnson from John-John.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 09:47:14 AM »
He went 63 minutes against the MetroStars on Saturday before he was subbed off. He later complained of pain in his toe. Still questionable for the qualifier.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Eddie Johnson Blanks Prem for MLS
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 09:37:42 AM »
good thing thye paying him all that $$$.

MLS scoring leader nixes Derby County deal

AFP
July 25, 2007

KANSAS CITY, United States (AFP) - Eddie Johnson, the 23-year-old American striker who leads Major League Soccer in goals, has reportedly rejected a trade deal with Derby County of England's Premiership.

Johnson, who has scored 12 goals in 11 games for the Kansas City Wizards, told the Kansas City Star Tuesday that the deal was nearly in place, saying, "It was close, man - 95 percent of the way there."

Johnson's back-to-back hat tricks early this season were an MLS first. He also scored twice for the US side in the Gold Cup. Staying on home soil where he has found success was a major reason why Johnson nixed an England transfer.
ADVERTISEMENT

"I did what my heart felt," Johnson said. "The money wasn't a problem. The money was great. But I'm a big believer that when my confidence is high and I'm confident in what I'm doing. Good things are yet to happen for me.

"I know if I keep doing what I'm doing, there are going to be other opportunities for me, and some are going to come up that I can't pass up."

In his seventh MLS season, Johnson has 38 goals and 10 assists in 114 MLS games, 83 of them starts, and nine goals in 22 caps for the US squad.

"I have goals I still want to accomplish and achieve, like winning an MLS Cup," Johnson said.

Johnson trained before the current MLS season with England's Reading squad.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
Re: Eddie Johnson Blanks Prem for MLS
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 09:48:49 AM »
my first that was "he mad oh what??!!!?"
but the fella still kinda young, and barring injury he can develop further and Europe will still be there for him.
He mashing up MLS now and enjoying himself, yuh hadda like getting up every morning and going to work, which he is right now.
good luck to him.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 09:53:45 AM »
Big fish, small pond. Hope he doesn't live to regret that decision.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 10:16:01 AM »
D man eh want to embarass himself lef him in the MLS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 10:21:05 AM »
thought the same thing Mr Mc...that he mad..and should go...
but he makin a name for himself in MLS....and Derby County is a shit side..plain talk bad manners

he could continue o rip this season and maybe get a contract with a bigger and better side

remember whappen to Stern...

england aint the only option...cause for all ya know Johnson might do good and a side like Porto or Depor. might buy him

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 10:21:48 AM »
D man eh want to embarass himself lef him in the MLS
He probably don't believe he is good enough yet for the big stage. That's crazy. He can break he leg and never recover

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 10:32:33 AM »
Good decison, if you ask me.  He could play for a better club.  Doesn't necessarily have to be in England.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 11:07:21 AM »
The guy is a very good player but does also behave cowardly on the field when facing tougher opponents. Recently I was in a conversation with some coach who use to work with him, and apparently he give a bit of trouble off the field.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 04:23:03 PM »
Did he 'blank' the Prem, or Derby?

Do you think he would have 'blanked' Arsenal if they came
calling? Probably not, right?

The odds of Derby playing in the Championship next season are
very good, so it was a good move by Johnson and his advisors to
stay put for now.
As he continues to score more goals, he'll get better offers, I'm
quite sure.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 04:47:56 PM »
Damn Backside !

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 05:48:34 PM »
its funny how many on this site does lambaste men like Rahim for skipping the MLS for England, but when this guy does it, its a bad move.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 06:32:59 PM »
but the fella still kinda young, and barring injury he can develop further and Europe will still be there for him.
He mashing up MLS now and enjoying himself, yuh hadda like getting up every morning and going to work, which he is right now.
good luck to him.
He's an idiot.

He finally having something of a breakout season in MLS after 7 years....he really satisfied with that pace of development in what is clearly a mediocre league?  I personally have a feeling that this fool has a fear of failure that rather than inspire him, it causes him to settle for mediocrity...which I see in his passivity on the field when in international competition.  He's content being big fish in a little pond...not exactly the sign of a winner.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 07:35:20 PM »
Eddie Johnson plays like a coward for the US national team..it is frutsrating to watch him slow down to a crawl every time he smells the 18 yard box and make a vertical or backward pass. This decision smells of cowardice too...but who knows what is going on in his head. Good luck soldier...but you wasting your talent. You should be a  more dominant player if you get your head straight

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 07:43:40 PM »
I sense a bit of Donovan Syndrome here.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 07:52:05 PM »
Eddie Johnson plays like a coward for the US national team..it is frutsrating to watch him slow down to a crawl every time he smells the 18 yard box and make a vertical or backward pass. This decision smells of cowardice too...but who knows what is going on in his head. Good luck soldier...but you wasting your talent. You should be a  more dominant player if you get your head straight
good luck to him.
He's an idiot.

He finally having something of a breakout season in MLS after 7 years....he really satisfied with that pace of development in what is clearly a mediocre league? I personally have a feeling that this fool has a fear of failure that rather than inspire him, it causes him to settle for mediocrity...which I see in his passivity on the field when in international competition. He's content being big fish in a little pond...not exactly the sign of a winner.

hardly anybody have anything good to say bout him as a player but still think he should have gone to a superior league.

The man is only 23 and MLS over in Oct, take yuh time Eddie only fools rush in and all that glitters is not gold.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 07:59:45 PM »

hardly anybody have anything good to say bout him as a player but still think he should have gone to a superior league.

The man is only 23 and MLS over in Oct, take yuh time Eddie only fools rush in and all that glitters is not gold.

You blind, mad or undecided?

Nearly everybody in here rating de man as a player...otherwise we'd be saying good move to stay rather than go where he'd be in over his head.  Most are saying he should be embracing the challenge of the EPL...proof positive that we think his talent gives him a chance.  He been taking he time fuh 7 yrs...that fool better believe the window of opportunity is indeed as wide as he presumes.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 08:11:01 PM »
A trini in the same situation I woulda say what de hell you waiting on. However if the man is confident in his ability, I say play out the MLS season, finish what yuh start, see how you light it up, see where the teams are located in the table come christmas, and then the world is your oyster.

He's young and could probably do better than the team that have 50% chance of going back down (it ent going to be Sunderland  :devil:)

Of course you never know what could happen, but i think the worse he could do might be stumbling when he take the step up to Europe ie. moving and having a first crap season. Plus this giving him more time to organise he personal business.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 08:33:58 PM »
good luck to him.
He's an idiot.

He finally having something of a breakout season in MLS after 7 years....he really satisfied with that pace of development in what is clearly a mediocre league? I personally have a feeling that this fool has a fear of failure that rather than inspire him, it causes him to settle for mediocrity...which I see in his passivity on the field when in international competition. He's content being big fish in a little pond...not exactly the sign of a winner.

you misinterpret what I saying. I find the man have it in him to be a top level footballer...or at least quite a bit better than he is right now. I just wonder why he seems so hesitant on the field sometimes...it's like he has doubts about his own ability. In the end..the man will make the right decisions for him. I eh sweating that. I just want to see what he would look like when he stop playing so reserved and starting having a go at defenses that would struggle to keep up with him

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 03:53:30 AM »
In the same way we look at a Pro- League man going to the MLS as a good thing, a MLS man going to England is also a step up. Johnson is a backside for letting this opportunity slip.

Saying I won't go to Europe until I win an MLS cup is like saying I won't go to the Pro League until I win Intercol.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 03:57:23 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 05:58:36 AM »
Next season, when Derby back in the Championship, the decision wouldn't seem all that bad.

People set goals for themselves. If the man have winning an MLS championship as one of his, what so wrong with that?

MLS will continue to attract better players. So the little pond will not always be little.

And even if he never makes it to Europe, what so bad about that? The man enjoying himself and making good money.
Toujour Pret!

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2007, 07:13:31 AM »
Wish the fella the best nice player with serious potential. Eddie know what best for him. can't really fault him stay home for good money . He ripping up mls and upcoming wcq he sure to feature. Or he throwing out some bs cause he hear something bigger around the corner so he holding out.

Look ting eh US players turning down moves to europe leagues. We have man getting blank by vietnam, going hungary, A league. When we go roll like that?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 07:25:18 AM »
I sense a bit of Donovan Syndrome here.

That's the first thing I thought as well- only difference is that Donovan actually made the move, and then didn't like it....

He's an idiot.

That's harsh- I'm not sure if going to a "better" league always makes a player better. Systems, coaches, personality, timeliness of the move, cultural assimilation etc will all play a part in his success. Not to mention family decisions and influences (didn't he just have a baby?) Who is to say that Derby is a good fit for Eddie? Some might say if it ain't broke don't fix it- and it def ain't broke for Eddie at RSL at the moment.....At some point he will have to seek bigger challenges, but he's prob not ready, and it's not like he's walking all over the MLS and scoring 30+ goals a season at ease- He only just had a break out spell- I'm sure the league is still challenging to him...

Being a big fish in a small pond is not always a bad thing- esp if you lack confidence like Eddie appears to at the moment. In fact being the big fish in a small pond scenario might be exactly what he needs to grow right now. The worst thing for him would be to go to England and have a few bad games and his confidence take a further beating- could lead to a downward spiral and to the point where he might even be a fringe player at Derby- now that would be a shame.....

If he stays healthy and continues to improve as a player, this would turn out to be a good decision because I'm pretty sure other (and possibly better) offers will come his way....

If not, the nay sayers will say "I told you so"

Time will tell....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:41:58 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline junior

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 07:36:03 AM »
I dont know all the facts,but didn't Stern John mash up the MLS before he came to England? 
I think Stern's potential was ever truly realized in comparison to what he achieved in the MLS.

Offline RedDevils

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2007, 07:55:51 AM »
Eddie is ah coward.....and if he think its best to hold out for a bigger an better team he'll be playing in mls all he life. he's 23 now, yeah thats young still but look at de average age of most of de players rippin up europe, dem is around his age or younger and there skills an talent running circles around eddie. he could of used derby as a stepping stone.
Glory, Glory MANUTD.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2007, 09:43:38 AM »
I dont know all the facts,but didn't Stern John mash up the MLS before he came to England? 
I think Stern's potential was ever truly realized in comparison to what he achieved in the MLS.

Stern did fairly ok when he came to England from Columbus...

He scored a lot of goals for Forest.....so much that they had to stop playing him since his contract stated that Forest had to pay more money to MLS for every goal he scored once he crossed 15.

The following year he was in the top 5 scorers in the Championship. He had a knee injury along the way but came back and went on to lead Birmingham to the Premiership and top scored for them in their first season in the premierleague. 

It is just that he didnt take it to the next level.

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

1]; } ?>