April 28, 2024, 03:31:39 PM

Author Topic: Baseball is a more "MANLY" sport than Football(soccer) !!  (Read 24653 times)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball is a more "MANLY" sport than Football(soccer) !!
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2007, 07:51:22 AM »
Filho, you bring up a good point and i would like to add Flag Football.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2007, 08:09:51 AM »
MANLY!!!
Well doh make me make yuh second guess yuh MANLY dey fadda...

I juss here debating whether football is ah contact sport.

Man insecure about he manly and dem, oui....lol

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2007, 08:35:08 AM »
BnS

Ice hockey at junior level and the women's game in college do not allow checking. But the game is stilled played and by your standards the game is basically unchanged. Players still move the puck up and down the ice, score goals, skate on blades, wear pads..yadda yadda. The removal of contact does not fundamentally change it. Is ice hockey not a contact sport?

Fundamentally the sport hasn't  changed...so that actually helps prove that point for me.

Is Ice Hockey not a contact sport?  Yes it very much is.  But as we see...women's ice hockey and youth ice hockey are not.  The rules governing them are different.  Now if you were to rule out contact in ALL Ice Hockey then in that case it would not be a contact sport.  See the difference?  The rules of all Ice Hockey haven't been changed under the scenarios above...but they've been adapted for limited applications to protect women and youths from physical harm.  Remove all contact from all hockey (men included) and you fundamentally change the sport b/c contact isn't just accepted, contact is in the rules.  Perfectly legal to body check a man who coming up the ice with his head down if you helping break up the attack.  Perfectly legal to body check a man off the puck.  In football the first incident will get you a card, if not a seat next to the coach.  The second...again, yuh cyah body a man off the ball (while in his possession).  Now free ball...dai'z ah different story.

The same for American football. You do not need to tackle the man to win the ball.

Wrong.

In football the object isn't to win the ball at all.  The object is to stop the other team first and foremost, and that CAN be accomplished by winning the ball, but you are thought to stop the advancement of the ball first, rather than gamble in hopes of a turnover.  You see it all the time, man getting burn b/c he rather go for 'big play'...(continued below)

The rules can be changed to say that only interceptions and tapping the ball while in an opponents arms are considered fair ball winning techniques. Any other contact in trying to do so is incidental.

Uhm no.  because the object is to stop the ball...hence hitting ah man ah flying tackle is taught at the fundamentally sound way to prevent matriculation of the ball.  In football (soccer) you play the ball first, then the man. Meaning in tackling, you go after the ball.  In American football, you ALWAYS play man first...then focus on stripping or intercepting the ball.  Now if you have a clear shot at the ball then you're expected to make a play on it, but you position yourself to play the man and not gamble...because by gambling on the interception you expose your teams defense, especially when pardna outjumps you and run into the end zone...and you on de grung looking like "damn...almost had it".  Same for try to strip a man.  Instead ah wrapping him up or knocking him down...you trying to strip ball, he fend yuh off and run extra yardage...if not all the way.  I dunno how much yuh know Am. football, but this is why the FUNDAMENTAL rule for defenders when defending the 'Hail Mary'...is to KNOCK IT (the ball) DOWN, rather than go for the interception.

The game remains basically unchanged...get the ball from point A to point B in 4 tries. Is American football not a contact sport? You ask if it's possible to tackle in football and win all ball...same with football, rugby and hockey and any other team contact sport

Tackling football and tackling in American football...two different things.  In the former, contact is permissible.  In the latter contact is absolutely necessary.  Why yuh think they duz call it 'tackle football'?  Remove contact from that and all yuh have is men playing ketch wid de ball...different sport entirely.

You state that soccer is not a contact sport because if you created a rule to remove all contact in soccer, the sport remains basically unchanged. Well in that case, I'm curious to know if you consider sports like american football, hockey or rugby contact sports. After all..you get no points for tackles, or checking. You get points for getting the ball to the end zone/ puck in the goal..Tackling and checking are ways to win the ball/puck.

But again...as outlined above...tackling and checking are full contact techniques meant to stop the man.  In football (soccer) "stopping the man" don't mean stopping him physically as it does in those two sports.  Instead, it means stopping his advance with the ball...key is that he must have the ball for the play to be legal...and you must get at least part of the ball in your "tackle". 
Soccer, Field Hockey. to block or impede the movement or progress of (an opponent having the ball) with the result of depriving the opponent of the ball.
.  Note that tackling in soccer isn't the true application of the term 'tackle' but a specially adapted definition.  A truer definition of tackle
an act of tackling, as in football; a seizing, grasping, or bringing down.
Taken From.  Doing thing like dat (bolded) will get yuh cyad on de pitch.[/color]

There are versions of each game that remove the contact and the game remains fundmentally unchanged (Flag football, women's college ice hockey). Sure the appearance and maybe appeal of the game to the average fan game changes..but it can be played without basically changing the games' fundamental goals.

Yes or no?

No. For the reasons outlined...they will be fundamentally changed.  Remember we ent talking about making up special versions of the game, where some people with certain handicaps play be a different rule, we talking about changing the rule across the board.  Hockey without checking won't be hockey.  Am. Football without tackling is man running arung ketching ball.

Ok..couldn't stay away

Lol..no scenes.  I frustrated that I ent convince allyuh too, but dai'z all part of the fun in rhetoric.  We dun chase 'way nuff man (bet plenty ah dem reading still doh) because the sad truth is that debate is a lost art and not too many of us put any effort into developing that skill.  They rightly conclude that all ah dis is nutten but ah set ah ole talk...but it's good skills to hone nonetheless.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 08:48:53 AM by Bake n Shark »

truetrini

« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2007, 08:36:50 AM »
5 f**king pages to this shit topic?

steups.

It should be in general discussion too.  it have no right in here!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2007, 08:41:13 AM »

steups.

truetrini...you cool wid me only b/c yuh cool wid mih boy Slates...but really and truly, if it ent for you yuh free to pass it by, nobody forcing yuh to come in and read. 

5 pages, 50 pages...it eh go crash de site, moderators could move it too if they so inclined.

truetrini

« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2007, 08:43:35 AM »

steups.

truetrini...you cool wid me only b/c yuh cool wid mih boy Slates...but really and truly, if it ent for you yuh free to pass it by, nobody forcing yuh to come in and read. 

5 pages, 50 pages...it eh go crash de site, moderators could move it too if they so inclined.

lol

ok pardner..ok.

By de way tell dat f**ker to call meh...ah jes come back from Trinidad, and we moving right ahead..full steam!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2007, 08:46:53 AM »

steups.

lol

ok pardner..ok.

By de way tell dat f**ker to call meh...ah jes come back from Trinidad, and we moving right ahead..full steam!

boy you need appointment tuh get in touch wid dat man...calling he is ah study in voicemail, you know dat,  :rotfl:

but I'll try and pass word.

...and doh worry, talk almost done  ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 08:50:05 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2007, 08:55:22 AM »
Bake none of what you write means an NFL player MUST hit a man.
It is simply the best way.

truetrini

« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2007, 09:00:42 AM »
slates say yuh damn lie....he eh come for de calalloo las night becasue he was cleaning house fuh de move.

lol

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2007, 09:02:53 AM »

We could agree tuh disagree on that one, but I'll concede that there's probably nothing in the rule to say "the defender MUST make contact with..." etc.  :beermug:

slates say yuh damn lie....he eh come for de calalloo las night becasue he was cleaning house fuh de move.

lol

Yuh notice we had tuh use callaloo as bait doh, right?

Lol...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 09:05:04 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2007, 09:56:17 AM »

We could agree tuh disagree on that one, but I'll concede that there's probably nothing in the rule to say "the defender MUST make contact with..." etc.  :beermug:

Similar to the absence of stated necessary contact in the FIFA rules.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2007, 10:07:44 AM »
Filho: BnS
Ice hockey at junior level and the women's game in college do not allow checking. But the game is stilled played and by your standards the game is basically unchanged. Players still move the puck up and down the ice, score goals, skate on blades, wear pads..yadda yadda. The removal of contact does not fundamentally change it. Is ice hockey not a contact sport?

BnS: Fundamentally the sport hasn't  changed...so that actually helps prove that point for me.

Filho: No it proves my point. If the removal of contact does not fundamentally change what you readily admit is a contact sport (hockey), then you cannot argue that soccer is non-contact sport because it remains basically unchanged if contact is removed...so no, this proves no point of yours. It proves mine..perhaps you forgot what you wrote.

BnS: Is Ice Hockey not a contact sport?  Yes it very much is.  But as we see...women's ice hockey and youth ice hockey are not.  The rules governing them are different.  Now if you were to rule out contact in ALL Ice Hockey then in that case it would not be a contact sport.  See the difference? 

Filho:  Nope. You're confusing yourself my friend..IT WAS YOU...who introduced the scenario of changing the rules of soccer. YOU SAID that if the rules were changed to remove all contact, soccer would remain basically unchanged. This was one of your supporting arguments that 'proved' soccer was not a contact sport. Therefore logic (your favorite word) should dictate that if contact is removed form hockey and the game remains basically unchanged, then hockey is not a contact sport.

BnS: The rules of all Ice Hockey haven't been changed under the scenarios above...but they've been adapted for limited applications to protect women and youths from physical harm.  Remove all contact from all hockey (men included) and you fundamentally change the sport b/c contact isn't just accepted, contact is in the rules.  Perfectly legal to body check a man who coming up the ice with his head down if you helping break up the attack.  Perfectly legal to body check a man off the puck.  In football the first incident will get you a card, if not a seat next to the coach.  The second...again, yuh cyah body a man off the ball (while in his possession).  Now free ball...dai'z ah different story.

Filho: Look at your first statement and look at the bold above. Why should I even carry on? Anyway, we are not discussing the type of contact...just contact. The fact that certain type of tackling is acceptable in hockey and not soccer is absolutely irrelevant. Certain types of tackling in rugby are not acceptable in hockey or american football..that does not make neither of them contact sports. Also, in soccer, it's perfectly legal to head a ball into the goal..it's in the rules. Does this mean that the game is fundamentally changed if you don't head the ball in the goal..NO. Same with hockey..the game is not fundamentally changed if you don't check..and THAT is what we are discussing. And you agreed to that in your first sentence..so the point you make above is not only irrelevant but inconsistent.

BnS: In football the object isn't to win the ball at all.  The object is to stop the other team first and foremost, and that CAN be accomplished by winning the ball, but you are thought to stop the advancement of the ball first, rather than gamble in hopes of a turnover.  You see it all the time, man getting burn b/c he rather go for 'big play'...(continued below)

Filho: Again...you contradict yourself. As long as you mention that the fundamental goals of american football CAN be accomplished without contact (which you just did) then you've killed your entire argument..since you emphasize that soccer's fundemantal goals CAN be achieved without contact as a reason for it being a non-contact sport.

BnS: ......the object is to stop the ball...hence hitting ah man ah flying tackle is taught at the fundamentally sound way to prevent matriculation of the ball.  In football (soccer) you play the ball first, then the man. Meaning in tackling, you go after the ball.  In American football, you ALWAYS play man first...then focus on stripping or intercepting the ball. 

Filho: We are discussing the fundamantal goals of the game...not fundamental techniques of achieveing those goals. Otherwise I would inform you that in soccer, winning the ball with certain amount of contact are fundamentally sound ways to win the ball. You don't learn in soccer to just tackle the ball. You learn how to use your body to win the ball or shield it..contact-based techniques are also fundamentals in soccer.

BnS: Tackling football and tackling in American football...two different things.  In the former, contact is permissible.  In the latter contact is absolutely necessary.  Why yuh think they duz call it 'tackle football'?  Remove contact from that and all yuh have is men playing ketch wid de ball...different sport entirely.

Filho: Again..your intepretation. The game remains FUNDAMENTALLY unchanged. In the end, you have to score points..you have to get from point A to point B. Contact is not necessary. You are the one who laughed at my idea at how stupid soccer would look without contact. You said people's perceptions were irrelevant. Now you are doing the same thing.  ;) Again..very inconsistent...what you think the sport would look like without tackling is irrelevant.

BnS: But again...as outlined above...tackling and checking are full contact techniques meant to stop the man.  

Filho:In soccer shielding the ball with your body is a full contact technique meant to protect the ball

BnS: No. For the reasons outlined...they will be fundamentally changed.  Remember we ent talking about making up special versions of the game, where some people with certain handicaps play be a different rule, we talking about changing the rule across the board.  Hockey without checking won't be hockey.  Am. Football without tackling is man running arung ketching ball.

Filho: Again..just your opinion and your feeling abot th visual aspects. I say the same for soccer. Without contact..it would be a bunch of clowns running around hardly ever trying to win the ball and the ref will be blowing his whistle every 2 seconds, breaking up any rythm. This is not relevant to our discussion. Besides..that is exactly what YOU PROPOSED in your argument..coming up with a special version of soccer to prove that without contact it was basically the same sport.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 10:27:44 AM by Filho »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2007, 10:36:53 AM »
Filho: BnS

BnS: Fundamentally the sport hasn't  changed...so that actually helps prove that point for me.

Filho: No it proves my point. If the removal of contact does not fundamentally change what you readily admit is a contact sport (hockey), then you cannot argue that soccer is non-contact sport because it remains basically unchanged if contact is removed...so no, this proves no point of yours. It proves mine..perhaps you forgot what you wrote.

BnS: Is Ice Hockey not a contact sport?  Yes it very much is.  But as we see...women's ice hockey and youth ice hockey are not.  The rules governing them are different.  Now if you were to rule out contact in ALL Ice Hockey then in that case it would not be a contact sport.  See the difference? 

Filho:  Nope. You're confusing yourself my friend..IT WAS YOU...who introduced the scenario of changing the rules of soccer. YOU SAID that if the rules were changed to remove all contact, soccer would remain basically unchanged. This was one of your supporting arguments that 'proved' soccer was not a contact sport. Therefore logic (your favorite word) should dictate that if contact is removed form hockey and the game remains basically unchanged, then hockey is not a contact sport.

BnS: The rules of all Ice Hockey haven't been changed under the scenarios above...but they've been adapted for limited applications to protect women and youths from physical harm.  Remove all contact from all hockey (men included) and you fundamentally change the sport b/c contact isn't just accepted, contact is in the rules.  Perfectly legal to body check a man who coming up the ice with his head down if you helping break up the attack.  Perfectly legal to body check a man off the puck.  In football the first incident will get you a card, if not a seat next to the coach.  The second...again, yuh cyah body a man off the ball (while in his possession).  Now free ball...dai'z ah different story.

Filho: Look at your first statement and look at the bold above. Why should I even carry on? Anyway, we are not discussing the type of contact...just contact. The fact that certain type of tackling is acceptable in hockey and not soccer is absolutely irrelevant. Certain types of tackling in rugby are not acceptable in hockey or american football..that does not make neither of them contact sports. Also, in soccer, it's perfectly legal to head a ball into the goal..it's in the rules. Does this mean that the game is fundamentally changed if you don't head the ball in the goal..NO. Same with hockey..the game is not fundamentally changed if you don't check..and THAT is what we are discussing. And you agreed to that in your first sentence..so the point you make above is not only irrelevant but inconsistent.

BnS: In football the object isn't to win the ball at all.  The object is to stop the other team first and foremost, and that CAN be accomplished by winning the ball, but you are thought to stop the advancement of the ball first, rather than gamble in hopes of a turnover.  You see it all the time, man getting burn b/c he rather go for 'big play'...(continued below)

Filho: Again...you contradict yourself. As long as you mention that the fundamental goals of american football CAN be accomplished without contact (which you just did) then you've killed your entire argument..since you emphasize that soccer's fundemantal goals CAN be achieved without contact as a reason for it being a non-contact sport.

BnS: ......the object is to stop the ball...hence hitting ah man ah flying tackle is taught at the fundamentally sound way to prevent matriculation of the ball.  In football (soccer) you play the ball first, then the man. Meaning in tackling, you go after the ball.  In American football, you ALWAYS play man first...then focus on stripping or intercepting the ball. 

Filho: We are discussing the fundamantal goals of the game...not fundamental techniques of achieveing those goals. Otherwise I would inform you that in soccer, winning the ball with certain amount of contact are fundamentally sound ways to win the ball. You don't learn in soccer to just tackle the ball. You learn how to use your body to win the ball or shield it..contact-based techniques are also fundamentals in soccer.

BnS: Tackling football and tackling in American football...two different things.  In the former, contact is permissible.  In the latter contact is absolutely necessary.  Why yuh think they duz call it 'tackle football'?  Remove contact from that and all yuh have is men playing ketch wid de ball...different sport entirely.

Filho: Again..your intepretation. The game remains FUNDAMENTALLY unchanged. In the end, you have to score points..you have to get from point A to point B. Contact is not necessary. You are the one who laughed at my idea at how stupid soccer would look without contact. You said people's perceptions were irrelevant. Now you are doing the same thing.  ;) Again..very inconsistent...what you think the sport would look like without tackling is irrelevant.

BnS: But again...as outlined above...tackling and checking are full contact techniques meant to stop the man.  

Filho:In soccer shielding the ball with your body is a full contact technique meant to protect the ball

BnS: No. For the reasons outlined...they will be fundamentally changed.  Remember we ent talking about making up special versions of the game, where some people with certain handicaps play be a different rule, we talking about changing the rule across the board.  Hockey without checking won't be hockey.  Am. Football without tackling is man running arung ketching ball.

Filho: Again..just your opinion and your feeling abot th visual aspects. I say the same for soccer. Without contact..it would be a bunch of clowns running around hardly ever trying to win the ball and the ref will be blowing his whistle every 2 seconds, breaking up any rythm. This is not relevant to our discussion. Besides..that is exactly what YOU PROPOSED in your argument..coming up with a special version of soccer to prove that without contact it was basically the same sport.

Aye...you win dred

leh we move on :beermug:

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2007, 10:43:09 AM »

Aye...you win dred

Ahh..under 6 pages. Talk done. And a good night to all  :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2007, 10:13:18 PM »

Aye...you win dred

Ahh..under 6 pages. Talk done. And a good night to all  :beermug:

There were some things you said that I had answers all ready for...and started to type them.  Much I still disagreed with, but you also raised some credible arguments and for me to continue arguing them would be both disingenious and counter-productive...so I figured now was as good a time :beermug:

1]; } ?>