March 28, 2024, 11:05:24 AM

Author Topic: Baseball is a more "MANLY" sport than Football(soccer) !!  (Read 24381 times)

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Baseball is a more "MANLY" sport than Football(soccer) !!
« on: June 10, 2007, 11:11:17 AM »
Today I was told Baseball is more "MANLY"  than Football(soccer)....i.e. real men play baseball......men who play football are skinny and girly!!!

before I talk about the rest of the converstion with this baseball fan and my rebuttal I would like to here your thoughts.....

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 11:13:49 AM by trinbago »
Warrior For Life !!

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball is a more "MANLY" sport than Football(soccer) !!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 11:16:13 AM »
Today I was told Baseball is more "MANLY"  than Football(soccer)....i.e. real men play baseball......men who play football are skinny and girly!!!

before I talk about the rest of the converstion with this baseball fan and my rebuttal I would like to here your thoughts.....

STUPES.. I hope you slap the person..
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 11:20:36 AM »
My advice would be to just overs the discussion.

No way you going to convince a baseball fan that football is more manly or vice versa.

If the man really pushing the head that one is more manly thean the other just ignore him unless yuh really have time to waste.

I follow both sports and can see "manly" attributes in both and  in any case what defines "manly" is very subjective.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 11:28:20 AM »

Pop some knowledge on him. Like the fact that Baseball evolved out of rounders...ah sport only played by Primary school girls. Same thing with Basketball and Netball.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 11:30:01 AM »
i wouldnt think a thread about baseball would pop up on this forum. well i am one trini (probably de only one) who does play baseball (semi-pro ;D). i love the sport but when it comes to "manlyness" football is wayyyy past baseball. and to be honest i cant watch a baseball game....too slow and too boring i have to be playing. but for football i can watch de full 90 mins.

ah think i sense FF and them fellas coming to crack jokes on meh... ::)
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 11:47:34 AM »

I follow both sports and can see "manly" attributes in both and  in any case what defines "manly" is very subjective.

I too am curious as to how one would 'measure' the supposed manliness of a sport...what they propose, having fellas line up and see who could piss de furthest?

Pop some knowledge on him. Like the fact that Baseball evolved out of rounders...ah sport only played by Primary school girls. Same thing with Basketball and Netball.
Same would have to be said about cricket...so I wouldn't be too quick to push that foolish argument.

i wouldnt think a thread about baseball would pop up on this forum. well i am one trini (probably de only one) who does play baseball (semi-pro ;D). i love the sport but when it comes to "manlyness" football is wayyyy past baseball. and to be honest i cant watch a baseball game....to slow and too boring i have to be playing. but for football i can watch de full 90 mins.

ah think i sense FF and them fellas coming to crack jokes on meh... ::)
No need to shame man...and congrats on de semi-pro gig.  Hopefully fate and time still on yuh side and yuh'll get ah opportunity to move up the system.

I'm a huge sports fan that find degrees of enjoyment in even Ice Hockey...and I love baseball, even though I too find it difficult to watch unless some team i rooting for playing.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 11:54:10 AM »
I break it down like this...firstly when people throw around the word unmanly with regard to sport, I take it to be somewhat of an insult to the sport and moreso an underhanded remark to the "man" who plays the sport in question....which is messed up to begin with.....

If baseball were to be played by women they would have to decrease the size of the outfield, infield, and decrease the distance from the mound to the hitter, decrease the distance between bases etc because girls just aren't as strong and athletic as guys and the game would just not be the same ....(I was told this by a pro baseball player...I know nothing about baseball)...so in that regard, you can argue that baseball is more manly that football (soccer)....

Then again, you could argue that for women's soccer the goal & fields should be a bit smaller because the women's game is alot slower, plays take abit longer to be made and female goalkeepers are not as agile and athletic yadda yadda....those adjustments are however not made.....I'm the biggest football fan, and I don't consider myself to be chauvinist, but I do not find women's football (soccer) to be nearly as interesting or entertaining as the men's game.....it's a newer sport and it lacks the sophistication, physical nature and other elements of history & passion that make the men's game what it is.....so in that regard you can argue that football (soccer) is definitely as manly a sport as any...add to that the fact that football, unlike baseball is a contact sport....

End of the day, "manly" should not be taken to mean "good"...There is nothing inferior about sports such as tennis, swimming, track & field, volleyball, gymnastics, field hockey etc...where the women's version appears to be as competitive and entertaining as the men's...(to the ignorant non-follower such as myself)... and therefore calling football/soccer an "unmanly" sport should only be regarded as an insult if one endorses beliefs of female inferiority...and that's a whole other conversation.  :beermug:

In sum, does it really matter which sport is more "manly" ?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 12:05:34 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 11:55:26 AM »

I follow both sports and can see "manly" attributes in both and  in any case what defines "manly" is very subjective.

I too am curious as to how one would 'measure' the supposed manliness of a sport...what they propose, having fellas line up and see who could piss de furthest?

Same would have to be said about cricket...so I wouldn't be too quick to push that foolish argument.

Yeah, but yuh don't see anybody talking about the "manliness" or "unmanliness" of cricket, so yuh outta timing.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 12:18:44 PM »
I break it down like this...firstly when people throw around the word unmanly with regard to sport, I take it to be somewhat of an insult to the sport and moreso an underhanded remark to the "man" who plays the sport in question....which is messed up to begin with.....

If baseball were to be played by women they would have to decrease the size of the outfield, infield, and decrease the distance from the mound to the hitter, decrease the distance between bases etc because girls just aren't as strong and athletic as guys and the game would just not be the same ....(I was told this by a pro baseball player...I know nothing about baseball)...so in that regard, you can argue that baseball is more manly that football (soccer)....

Then again, you could argue that for women's soccer the goal & fields should be a bit smaller because the women's game is alot slower, plays take abit longer to be made and female goalkeepers are not as agile and athletic yadda yadda....those adjustments are however not made.....I'm the biggest football fan, and I don't consider myself to be chauvinist, but I do not find women's football (soccer) to be nearly as interesting or entertaining as the men's game.....it's a newer sport and it lacks the sophistication, physical nature and other elements of history & passion that make the men's game what it is.....so in that regard you can argue that football (soccer) is definitely as manly a sport as any...add to that the fact that football, unlike baseball is a contact sport....

End of the day, "manly" should not be taken to mean "good"...There is nothing inferior about sports such as tennis, swimming, track & field, volleyball, gymnastics, field hockey etc...where the women's version appears to be as competitive and entertaining as the men's...(to the ignorant non-follower such as myself)... and therefore calling football/soccer an "unmanly" sport should only be regarded as an insult if one endorses beliefs of female inferiority...and that's a whole other conversation.  :beermug:

Yuh took it slightly out of context.....they didn't mean they were comparing to if a man plays it or woman plays it ............they meant it takes a "real man" to play baseball where as the football players come across as girly.....

By the way...the person who I was having this conversation with is an avid sports fan and thus follows a lot of different sports but their favorite sport is baseball.....but the kicker is she is a very hot 27 year old !!

So imagine a hot woman who know about sports sayin football (soccer) is girly!!...in other words when she saw the games on TV a couple times the men are not macho!!
Here are some interesting questions that came up:

1.   What is the average age of football players compared to baseball players?
2.   Which has the earlier average retirement age?
3.   Which requires the person to be more fit?

4.   Which earns more money per person?
5.   Which earns more money as a team?
6.   Which is more popular?
7.   What are the viewership comparisons?
8.   Which is more a global brand Yankees or Manchester United?
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 12:36:29 PM »

End of the day, "manly" should not be taken to mean "good"...There is nothing inferior about sports such as tennis, swimming, track & field, volleyball, gymnastics, field hockey etc...where the women's version appears to be as competitive and entertaining as the men's...(to the ignorant non-follower such as myself)... and therefore calling football/soccer an "unmanly" sport should only be regarded as an insult if one endorses beliefs of female inferiority...and that's a whole other conversation.  :beermug:

Yuh took it slightly out of context.....they didn't mean they were comparing to if a man plays it or woman plays it ............they meant it takes a "real man" to play baseball where as the football players come across as girly.....

By the way...the person who I was having this conversation with is an avid sports fan and thus follows a lot of different sports but their favorite sport is baseball.....but the kicker is she is a very hot 27 year old !!

So imagine a hot woman who know about sports sayin football (soccer) is girly!!...in other words when she saw the games on TV a couple times the men are not macho!!

1.   What is the average age of football players compared to baseball players? - football players are much younger
2.   Which has the earlier average retirement age? football
3.   Which requires the person to be more fit? - football.....though from a pitchers point of view we do alot of running compared to infielders or outfielders.

4.   Which earns more money per person? - baseball.....can u believe people getting 1 mil just to sit?
5.   Which earns more money as a team? - baseball
6.   Which is more popular? - football by far
7.   What are the viewership comparisons? football....de whole world watches it.
8.   Which is more a global brand Yankees or Manchester United? see now there are certain countries that know about the yankees for example the countries that have baseball leagues in europe (spain,  denmark,  germany,  italy,  russia,  czech republic...thats all i can think of right now)......almost everyone knows about manchester united

A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 12:51:23 PM »

Yeah, but yuh don't see anybody talking about the "manliness" or "unmanliness" of cricket, so yuh outta timing.
As is the usual case with you, your logic or lack thereof betrays you.

If you are going to argue the merits of what defines manliness based on where the game is derived then many of our sports would rank relatively low.  Rounders may be a game most common with young women, I'll have to take your word for it since the last time I played I was still in primary school.  Fact is, it was a game devised by men, for men...that eventually grew into baseball in the US...and cricket in the British empire...there is nothing inherently "unmanly" about rounders.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 12:54:22 PM »
Manliness is in de eye of de beholder

If dis hot 27 women like men with the typical baseball physique, den dat is her perogative

soccer players have different physiques and conditioning because the demands are different

anyway, if you trying to score points wit she, den you should answer the question to maximize yuh chance (without sacrificing your values)   ;D
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »

1. Dunno, but youth is more of an asset in football, so football players are younger on average.
2. Football
3. Football...more running.
4. Baseball...not even close.
5. Hard to say...but my guess is that the larger fan base makes for more retail and marketing opportunities...so I'll give Football the nod here.
6. Football
7. On what scale...globally or within the country?  Probably football.
8. My guess is Man U.  but the Yankees are huge as well.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 01:00:02 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 01:07:05 PM »

Nah I realized that the thread wasn't really directly commenting about how manly the sport was, but more about the macho-ness of the male athletes who play the different sports.....I was just giving a view from a different perspective because like I said in my first few lines when people attack/criticise the manliness of a game, its usually an underhanded comment about the sport, or about the "men" who play it (afterall the whole idea of the degree of manliness would not exist if the female gender didn't exist- the less manly one is, is the more woman-like that person is (so to speak), so to compare the manliness of the athletes you have to take a step back and compare the manliness of the sport by asking- is the woman's version of this sport comparable to the mens? the more comparable the two versions are, the stronger your argument against the manliness of the athlete- ya dig ?...just one way to look at it- I chose that way)

but like I say, whether you look at it on a "macro" level (critique/compare the sports as opposed to the athletes)....or a "micro" level (critique/compare the athletes), it comes down the same point- manliness is subjective, the argument of manliness is contingent on the connotation that goes along with the word...and at the end of the day there is no right or wrong answer....interesting topic though  :beermug:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 01:26:50 PM by kicker »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 02:29:25 PM »
if she is saying baseball is a more manly sport than football it is based solely and ONLY on the physical appearance of the players and not the actual sport itself..

I.E.

Compare Cristiano Ronaldo: he of hair blowing in the wind, shaven legs, pretty boots and socks, diving, crying, whining, passing his hand thru his hair primadonna....

against

Mark McGwire, brute force, all muscle, bussing dem tight pants, chewing tobacco and spitting it out, cussing, rough cut figure...

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 02:32:42 PM »
Baseball uniform leave a lot to remark . Its not a contact sport. Also tell you friend that about 15 years ago baseball player were around  150-190 in weight. Baseball just recently started fine player of taking drugs. in football you get a year ban first offence.
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 06:33:13 PM »
Baseball uniform leave a lot to remark . Its not a contact sport. Also tell you friend that about 15 years ago baseball player were around  150-190 in weight. Baseball just recently started fine player of taking drugs. in football you get a year ban first offence.
Not a contact sport?  Neither is football.

Contact in football is incidental and tangential to the game, not a part of the game otherwise there would be no such thing as a foul.  You always play the ball, not the man when defending...you can't just chop down man in hopes of getting the ball, but you play the ball and if in the process you HAPPEN to make contact with the man, then good officiating chalks that up to incidental contact.

Now, if you seriously think baseball is not a contact sport, then clearly you've never seen a man round first base and deliberately run into the second-baseman in hopes of preventing the double-play.  In this case the man running into the defensive player knows that he's out, so he sacrifices his body by hurling himself at the defender to prevent the defender from throwing to first base and throwing out his team mate who's trying to get to first.

Another example...plays at home plate.  Man rounds third trying to score, catcher fields the throw from the field and blocks the plate.  It is entirely within the rules of the sport for the player attempting to score to completely run over the catcher in hopes of dislodging the ball and thus, scoring.  One infamous incident of this happening was Pete Rose running into Ray Fosse during the All-Star game many moons ago (1976?).  The ensuing collision resulted in the end of Ray Fosse's career.  Given that it was an All-Star game, many were upset with Pete Rose...since you don't normally play that hard-nosed in these games...but he recieved no sanction b/c it was completely within the rules (if not the spirit) of the game.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 06:38:08 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 06:39:22 PM »
She jes like de steroid look.  Dat is all.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 06:44:46 PM »
All major sports hard ,tough and good  ,and fun to play .Just have to have an open mind.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 07:18:26 PM by Quagmire »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2007, 06:53:59 PM »
tell him take he baseball bat and shove it where d sun doh shine  :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2007, 07:16:47 PM »

Contact in football is incidental and tangential to the game, not a part of the game otherwise there would be no such thing as a foul.  You always play the ball, not the man when defending...you can't just chop down man in hopes of getting the ball, but you play the ball and if in the process you HAPPEN to make contact with the man, then good officiating chalks that up to incidental contact.

Football has a lot more contact than baseball..incidental or any other kind. So you are required to take more of a beating. In the end, I believe that is the gist of that point.

In any case, the person in question seems really to be judging the physique of soccer players vs baseball players. It's a matter of personal preference and not even worth discussing. So what if she feels that way. Tell her to each his/her own and she'll respect you for that. Fight it down and you just look insecure and you will look like yuh lacking manliness yuhself.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2007, 07:47:44 PM »

Contact in football is incidental and tangential to the game, not a part of the game otherwise there would be no such thing as a foul.
  You always play the ball, not the man when defending...you can't just chop down man in hopes of getting the ball, but you play the ball and if in the process you HAPPEN to make contact with the man, then good officiating chalks that up to incidental contact.

Now, if you seriously think baseball is not a contact sport, then clearly you've never seen a man round first base and deliberately run into the second-baseman in hopes of preventing the double-play.  In this case the man running into the defensive player knows that he's out, so he sacrifices his body by hurling himself at the defender to prevent the defender from throwing to first base and throwing out his team mate who's trying to get to first.

Another example...plays at home plate.  Man rounds third trying to score, catcher fields the throw from the field and blocks the plate.  It is entirely within the rules of the sport for the player attempting to score to completely run over the catcher in hopes of dislodging the ball and thus, scoring.  One infamous incident of this happening was Pete Rose running into Ray Fosse during the All-Star game many moons ago (1976?).  The ensuing collision resulted in the end of Ray Fosse's career.  Given that it was an All-Star game, many were upset with Pete Rose...since you don't normally play that hard-nosed in these games...but he recieved no sanction b/c it was completely within the rules (if not the spirit) of the game.

Football IS a contact sport

Just because you can't chop someone down doesn't mean that it's not a contact sport....you are allowed to make full physical contact with a player on a challenge for a ball, so long as you touch the ball FIRST. Also when sheilding the ball, a fair amount of contact is allowed...Shoulder to shoulder contact is also allowed 50/50 challenges....football is quite a physical game and only someone who has never played the game would be of the opinion that physical contact is merely tangential and not part of the game....When you play against a very physical team, the difference is very very clear....it has a huge impact on the game....football without physical contact would be a totally different game......not even debatable

I agree that certain plays in baseball do result in some physical contact, but there is no debate, none what so ever that baseball is more of a contact sport than football(soccer)...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 09:15:42 PM by kicker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2007, 08:36:56 PM »
That person is ignorant. Don't even comment on such dotish talk. Don't give him the light of day.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2007, 09:03:27 PM »

Contact in football is incidental and tangential to the game, not a part of the game otherwise there would be no such thing as a foul.
  You always play the ball, not the man when defending...you can't just chop down man in hopes of getting the ball, but you play the ball and if in the process you HAPPEN to make contact with the man, then good officiating chalks that up to incidental contact.

Just because you can't chop someone down doesn't mean that it's not a contact sport....you are allowed to make full physical contact with a player on a challenge for a ball, so long as you touch the ball FIRST. Also when sheilding the ball, a fair amount of contact is allowed...Shoulder to shoulder contact is also allowed 50/50 challenges....football is a quite physical game and only someone who's never played the game would be of the opinion that physical contact is merely tangential and not part of the game....When you play against a very physical team, the difference is very very clear....it has a huge impact on the game....football without physical contact would be a totally different game......not even debatable

I agree that certain plays in baseball do result in some physical contact, but there is no debate, none what so ever that baseball is more of a contact sport than football(soccer)...
If again football is  the most dangerous game in the world  ! ,i ve had 5 very swollen sprained angles ,twised ahkilles tendon .dislocated wraist .pegs galore 2 busted kness    ,busted toes,kicked up shins what the f**k ..
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 09:08:38 PM by Quagmire »

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2007, 09:13:01 PM »

As is the usual case with you, your logic or lack thereof betrays you.

If you are going to argue the merits of what defines manliness based on where the game is derived then many of our sports would rank relatively low.  Rounders may be a game most common with young women, I'll have to take your word for it since the last time I played I was still in primary school.  Fact is, it was a game devised by men, for men...that eventually grew into baseball in the US...and cricket in the British empire...there is nothing inherently "unmanly" about rounders.

Oh good lord, why do you have to take every little effing thing so seriously??? Steupssss As though anybody would SERIOUSLY argue about which sport is more manly than the other.  ::)
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2007, 09:55:56 PM »

Just because you can't chop someone down doesn't mean that it's not a contact sport....you are allowed to make full physical contact with a player on a challenge for a ball, so long as you touch the ball FIRST. Also when sheilding the ball, a fair amount of contact is allowed...Shoulder to shoulder contact is also allowed 50/50 challenges....football is quite a physical game and only someone who has never played the game would be of the opinion that physical contact is merely tangential and not part of the game....When you play against a very physical team, the difference is very very clear....it has a huge impact on the game....football without physical contact would be a totally different game......not even debatable

Saying that there is contact allowed in Football and saying that Football is a contact sport....two completely separate things.  Everything you said there only underscores the point that I made about men playing the ball first and the man second...and that good officiating acknowledges that as being tangential and not central to the play.

I shudder at the state of our public schools.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2007, 09:58:53 PM »

If again football is  the most dangerous game in the world  ! ,i ve had 5 very swollen sprained angles ,twised ahkilles tendon .dislocated wraist .pegs galore 2 busted kness    ,busted toes,kicked up shins what the f**k ..

"Football is the most dangerous game in the world"...I have officially heard it all now.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2007, 09:59:53 PM »

Oh good lord, why do you have to take every little effing thing so seriously??? Steupssss As though anybody would SERIOUSLY argue about which sport is more manly than the other.  ::)
You right...nobody taking this seriously.

Your hystrionics aside.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2007, 10:18:56 PM »
Ey u ever play in trini . First american sports all have protection . U ever get ah hard swinging shin on shin from ah player from lavantile ,it is feel like kicking motherc**t iron .f**k that, it really dangerous doh fool yourself.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 10:32:20 PM by Quagmire »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2007, 10:32:12 PM »

Saying that there is contact allowed in Football and saying that Football is a contact sport....two completely separate things.   Everything you said there only underscores the point that I made about men playing the ball first and the man second...and that good officiating acknowledges that as being tangential and not central to the play.

I shudder at the state of our public schools.

???

I welcome your definition of a contact sport

Here's one of many from the web that say the same thing

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:Contact+Sport&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

Would you argue then that physical contact is more central (less tangential) to the sport of baseball than it is to football ?

football/soccer is a contact sport- there is no debate about that....if you choose to be a statistical outlier by thinking otherwise- feel free.

I reserve judgment on your comment about the statement about public schools as it is tangential to this thread and undermines the spirit of the message board...

1]; } ?>