April 24, 2024, 03:53:15 AM

Author Topic: Scotland Sweat on Permit Bid  (Read 1695 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Scotland Sweat on Permit Bid
« on: June 11, 2007, 03:28:28 PM »
Scotland Sweat on Permit Bid
By: The Daily Record

June 11, 2007

JASON SCOTLAND will be told next month whether he will be allowed to join Swansea City.
The St Johnstone striker has agreed a two-year deal with the Swans. However, the 28-year-old Trinidad and Tobago international has been forced to apply for anew work permit.
And his move to the English League One side is subject to it been granted.
Out of contract at McDiarmid Park in August, Scotland has had to re-apply for a permit after the government changed residency rules. Previously, if a player had been in the UK for four years he could stay indefinitely.
But the rule has been changed to five years and Scotland is about to complete only his fourth.
A hearing to decide on his application will take place at the Home Office in London on July 4.
Two years ago, Scotland was refused a work permit to carry on playing for Dundee United after he had been with them for two seasons.
He was later successful with a bid to be allowed to play for Saints.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland Sweat on Permit Bid
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 03:54:35 PM »
Scottie could be the first blacklist casualty. From what I remember, you have to play at least 75% of competetive internationals. Not sure if the Digicel shield would count as competetive. I gues any match that effects the world rankings would count. Certainly, hes missed 3 Gold Cup matches. By my reckoning, that means he needs to have played in the last 9 consecutive matches to qualify. Anyone know if hes done that?

I wonder, if that is the case, if FPATT could appeal on the basis that the blacklist was illegal?

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »
I think this ban might actually help him because on appeal once they show that the only reason he not on the team is because of the blacklist, that would actually help because then they won't look at the fact that he wouldna play in the Digicel Cup.

I think this worked in the past for somebody...maybe it was Sancho, I can't remember, but they used the fact that Bertille had ban dreads as the reason they were not on the team, even though they were not a regular regardless.

It could also be a blessing in disguise though because if his move to Swansea fall through he may still get a chance with a Premier League team in Scotland which I think may be better at his age than fighting for promotion.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 10:42:06 PM »
Ok leh we pray that the man get he permit. FPATT bat 4 the man pleeze
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 04:07:14 AM »
Scotland was NEVER blacklisted !!! he refused to play after being called. He didn't play in the Digicel Cup either. He have no case.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 04:32:07 AM by Flex »

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 09:53:41 AM »
Scotland was NEVER blacklisted !!! he refused to play after being called. He didn't play in the Digicel Cup either. He have no case.

ah was now going to post this!

good observation "sando"

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 04:22:59 PM »

this is true, however, he can make a case that he was acting in solidarity for his colleagues who have been treated unfairly. He can claim industrial action.

In a joint FIFA/FIFPro memorandum of understanding, point 2.5 states:

“ With respect to the subject of player availability for national team matches and competitions, FIFPro reaffirms that selection by a national team represents the peak of a players career and that his “right” shall not and should not be jeopardised in any way whatsoever”

Obviously, TTFF have operated against this agreement. By behaving against the spirit of this agreement, a player is within his rights to show his support for his colleagues and withdraw his labour. I would think itwould be harsh in these circumstances for an appeal to find against Scottie.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 04:30:35 PM »
He didn't withdraw his services for the Digicel Cup.  I think he was invited and the official reason he didn't come was club committments.....I think this was the Digicel Cup.

He cud say strike for the GC and Digicel Shield  because they just didn't show up for training....never said officially they were not making themselves available so it a lil flaky.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 04:32:20 PM by dcs »

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 05:00:03 PM »
Saw him in Movietowne relaxing. I wonder when exactly he'll know... the article just says next month.

1]; } ?>