March 28, 2024, 10:30:12 AM

Author Topic: Dis was de Year we coulda beat de US  (Read 4394 times)

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dis was de Year we coulda beat de US
« on: June 12, 2007, 07:10:58 AM »
It is down right rude and intolerable to have these  elected and self appointed leaders blow what was sure to be one of our best years in the gold cup.  We fight tooth and nail to get de Team to Germany and whilst there we put on enough of a display both on and off the field to to receive a little more worldwide props about our country and football. In addition we had a good crop of younger players to carry on the battle as we approach WC2010 and we not tryin to be no one hit wonder like Jamaicia..... This was de year when we would comfortably  overcome de Panama's, Honduras, Guatemala and instead be looking to the bigger outfits like de US, Costa Rica, Canada, Mexico  to measure up to.. Matchin these teams toe for toe in the gold cup would have been a first for us, we always seem to be outdone. But this year we had de confidence to match de TnT flavor. We box with big Teams like Sweden and England and didnt lose face in the process. We were supposed to be charging forward this year to beat de USA but instead we blow this opportunity to after coming back from WC germany to strut our feathers on de concacaf front and show that we deserved to be in Germany and it wasnt no fluke, no Jack Warner setup. I will not comment on de current Team but save my boy Spaan who has for me taken his game to a new and exciting level. De boy know how to hit de leather sar. So we lose this chance hopefully everything work it self out in time for TnT qualification because I am truly afraid to see if the powers that be would have the audacity and gall to send such and inexperienced thrown together unit to represent de country on de world stage dat gettin aired allover de place.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dis was de Year we coulda beat de US
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 07:18:52 AM »
Ah feel the same way.  This year we should be challenging to win the Gold Cup.
Instead we losin and lookin pathetic.
This is the CONCACAF championship, it has to be taken seriously.
Jack and Camps wtf wrong wit dem.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 07:25:22 AM »
STOP B4 YUH COMPARE:

For the record, check this out:    http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=28305.msg320414#msg320414

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 07:26:24 AM »
The interesting thing is that our players fear better in the English and Scottish leagues than the Americans who always seem to get sent back our bench warm. McBride had a good run for Fulham this year, and so did Bocanegra but who else out there all yuh could think of ???

The point is we have players with tremendous experience on the international stage and it is a damn shame we had to sit back and get slap in the face. THIS WAS THE TOURNAMENT TO BEAT US FINALLY!!!

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 07:53:31 AM »
The interesting thing is that our players fear better in the English and Scottish leagues than the Americans who always seem to get sent back our bench warm. McBride had a good run for Fulham this year, and so did Bocanegra but who else out there all yuh could think of ???

The point is we have players with tremendous experience on the international stage and it is a damn shame we had to sit back and get slap in the face. THIS WAS THE TOURNAMENT TO BEAT US FINALLY!!!

Dis was de year horse, dis was we year. Spaan kickin down everything birchall not alonew in dat categor no more
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 07:56:29 AM »
The interesting thing is that our players fare better in the English and Scottish leagues than the Americans who always seem to get sent back or bench warm. McBride had a good run for Fulham this year, and so did Bocanegra but who else out there all yuh could think of ???

I don't know how accurate this assessment is.

Using the premiership as a guide, the US has had more players established in the premiership than we have. I don't think that we can say that our players have fared better in the English and Scottish leagues.

We have had Yorke, Shaka for long periods. Stern, Jones and Marcelle for shorter ones.

Friedel, Reyna, Harkes, Wegerle, Keller have all had long stints there.

Just in recent years they have had Bocanegra, DeMerit, Onyewu, Beasley, Howard, Dempsey, Spector.

In the past they had Kirovski, Jones. They also condsider Scotland a lower league and their players don't go there and their players do not hang around in the 3rd and 4th tiers of the league as ours do.

We do very well for our size but we cannot compete with their numbers.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 07:58:14 AM »

First off, we had no one in the premiership this year (much less anyone who had a good run)...next year though... ;D

I agree that we coulda challenged if not, beat the US eleven that played us this Gold Cup, if we had a full squad...but let's not compare our current players exploits in England to theirs...we'll lose that argument.

Off the top the of my head:

Beasley- Man City
Convey- Reading
DeMerit- Watford
Dempsey- Fulham
Bocanegra- Fulham
Friedel- Blackburn
Howard- Everton
Gibbs- Charlton
Hanneman- Reading
McBride- Fulham
Simek- Sheffield Weds (not prem)
Spector- West Ham

Can't necessarily comment on how well they performed, but I can comment on how well T&T players performed in the premiership this year.....Lewwe doh go there...let's just speculate that we coulda probably beat them with a full squad.... :beermug: It's just speculation so you can't really argue against it....  ;D

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 08:29:18 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 08:23:56 AM »
Are you guys serious?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 08:28:04 AM »
Are you guys serious?

I think they mean the experimental U.S. squad that played against us at the Gold Cup....I agree they were prob the most beatable U.S. team I've seen in a while.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 08:38:41 AM »
Are you guys serious?

Wham Coops, it impossible for we to beat de US or what? Dat US gold cup team in no way could be beat by our WC team?
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 08:47:22 AM »
Are you guys serious?

it's called blind patriotism  ;D

I not saying that we have no chance against a full strength US team.  But check we results against the US in the last 10 yrs.  How many games we win again  ???

I not sure where this confidence coming from....but scraping into the world cup last year doh count for much in my opinion.  We still have a lot of improving to do to reach the U.S. standards.

we quick to put down the U.S. team and the MLS and the obviuous strides dey making in football....we have a ways to go fellas...

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 09:03:22 AM »
Are you guys serious?

it's called blind patriotism  ;D

I not saying that we have no chance against a full strength US team.  But check we results against the US in the last 10 yrs.  How many games we win again  ???

I not sure where this confidence coming from....but scraping into the world cup last year doh count for much in my opinion.  We still have a lot of improving to do to reach the U.S. standards.

we quick to put down the U.S. team and the MLS and the obviuous strides dey making in football....we have a ways to go fellas...

by no means i am puttin down de US team or de MLS..neither I am saying that our football program is equivalent to that of de US however I dont think it is reaching to think that our WC team could beat this US gold cup team. De fact that we arent as deep as de US works better in our favor. We will play de same team selection in all tournaments, thats all we have. DE US could pull and rest players so if our WC players werent banned we would have the full compliment out there and I believe that that Team could beat de current US team.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 09:28:37 AM »
No one can say for sure what would have happened, but I definitely think our strongest squad could have challenged the experimental US team that was fielded against T&T this year in the GOLD CUP

A full strength U.S. team is stronger than ours, and our chances of beating them at this point are slim to none.......I don't think anyone could realistically argue against that.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
Are you guys serious?

I think they mean the experimental U.S. squad that played against us at the Gold Cup....I agree they were prob the most beatable U.S. team I've seen in a while.

It goes to show the depth of the Americans. The strength of any nation is directly related to their player pool. Now wouldnt it be sending a strong message to CONCACAF and indeed the world if the USA were able to field a "weak" team, but still manage to win the whole thing? 

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 10:21:19 AM »
while i concur, that wasn't necessarily de weakest US team either if so Howard might have been in de goal but they were still depending on Keller to save them from dem bullets and corners Spaan been firing off at de US.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 11:20:30 AM »
David, speculation and comparisons aside I think we coulda beat them too

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 11:24:32 AM »
Are you guys serious?

It goes to show the depth of the Americans. The strength of any nation is directly related to their player pool. Now wouldnt it be sending a strong message to CONCACAF and indeed the world if the USA were able to field a "weak" team, but still manage to win the whole thing? 

I think kicker is referring to the 11 that lined up against us in our game, not the 23 they picked for the tournament. It stands to reason though, that had we had our World Cup Squad or remnants thereof, they would have fielded Dempsey, Donovan, Beasley et al against us.

Nevertheless, you are right, they do have depth, but that comes with an overall active footballing population, which numbers more than any Caribbean/Central American country can hope to have.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline labi

• New Warrior
  • AKINLABINHO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 01:13:57 PM »
USA IS DOG SH*T......they only good on home soil fullstop!
akinlabinho

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 04:09:04 PM »
Men still talking bout what league teams have players playing in. All England players playing in the EPL and they does get level cut arse.
Coaching and team play has a lot to do with it. Donovan is a bright spot on that team other than him which individual can individually command a game. Carlos and Samuels on the wing. Birchall, Spann and Edwards could shoot from distance. Dwight controls the midfield well. A full strength team with match practice may have been more competitive than previous cups. Individually the American players have talent but they do not complement each others play or bring anything great individaully. A tool box full of pliers can only do so much. They all play the same way. We are actually seeing our teams holding composure better and trying to possess the ball. All we need now is match practice.

Wim actually had this T & T team playing some decent possession for spurts in the game. Look at how solid Spann, Toussaint and dare I say Jan looked. If they had players  complementing their level of play that game would probably have been different. Obviously I am not a baller because to me Denzil pull stones. Passes at critical points were not on target. He did not stand out.

I supporting the team because you can see the growth between the Digicel cup and now. Is the growth coming fast enough? Probably not but we still seeing progress as opposed to years gone by where there was none between tournaments. If we could start getting decent competitive matches like JA we will be prepared for the WCQ.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 04:15:18 PM by rippin »
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 06:26:14 PM »
Men still talking bout what league teams have players playing in. All England players playing in the EPL and they does get level cut arse.
Coaching and team play has a lot to do with it. Donovan is a bright spot on that team other than him which individual can individually command a game. Carlos and Samuels on the wing. Birchall, Spann and Edwards could shoot from distance. Dwight controls the midfield well. A full strength team with match practice may have been more competitive than previous cups. Individually the American players have talent but they do not complement each others play or bring anything great individaully. A tool box full of pliers can only do so much. They all play the same way. We are actually seeing our teams holding composure better and trying to possess the ball. All we need now is match practice.

Wim actually had this T & T team playing some decent possession for spurts in the game. Look at how solid Spann, Toussaint and dare I say Jan looked. If they had players  complementing their level of play that game would probably have been different. Obviously I am not a baller because to me Denzil pull stones. Passes at critical points were not on target. He did not stand out.

I supporting the team because you can see the growth between the Digicel cup and now. Is the growth coming fast enough? Probably not but we still seeing progress as opposed to years gone by where there was none between tournaments. If we could start getting decent competitive matches like JA we will be prepared for the WCQ.
dat is de dam ting in a nutshell....
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 06:41:09 PM »
Are you guys serious?

I think kicker is referring to the 11 that lined up against us in our game, not the 23 they picked for the tournament. It stands to reason though, that had we had our World Cup Squad or remnants thereof, they would have fielded Dempsey, Donovan, Beasley et al against us.

Nevertheless, you are right, they do have depth, but that comes with an overall active footballing population, which numbers more than any Caribbean/Central American country can hope to have.
[/b]

Which is why we should increase our pool of players by accepting those with Trinbago parentage.
A lot of people use the excuse that they won't be committed to the TnT football but if the can see it as a means to greater things professionally then there will be that commitment.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 06:57:47 PM »
Ah was thinking the same thing too.

But football is a funny game eh.

Plenty times, teams play to the level of their opposition.

All things equal, the US team is still stronger than us on paper, but I feel it woulda be a classic battle.

Definitely one of the most competitive games between us.

Maybe we could have beaten them, who knows.

But dont underestimate the US in the US, they are very hard to beat.

Not even Mexico can do it.

They are favourites to win the competition.

Another thing I notice - Allyuh realise that in the last couple Gold Cups, sp called 'smaller' teams challenge the big boys, eg Panama last time.
Now we seeing Guadelupe, Haiti, Panama again, Cuba giving the more traditional teams trouble.

But when is WC Qualifiers, the big guns come thru (like T&T  ;D )

Is it the format of the competition?
The absence of home and away ties?
The fact that big teams maybe experimenting?
Is it that teams very inconsistent?
Or is it that CONCACAF is really that competitive, and there isnt much between teams in the Hex and the teams that didnt make it....?

1]; } ?>