April 25, 2024, 11:16:26 PM

Author Topic: NY Times: A Trinidadian Dispute Runneth Over as Cup Money Does Not  (Read 8893 times)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: NY Times: A Trinidadian Dispute Runneth Over as Cup Money Does Not
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2007, 08:06:54 PM »
maybe we should tone down our Rhetoric
just in case de "man" ketch ah vaps and decide to sue for people making threats.
eh eh whey dat post gorn? ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 08:14:18 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2007, 09:07:10 PM »
Big up the new time for showing the bad minds who run trini soccer

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2007, 10:45:04 PM »
So much to respond to...I'll just condense it into one.  Let me just preface my comments by saying that I don't know Fuentes, nor do I know his motivations.  From the little I know of him (thru this site) he seems genuine and committed to TnT football.

BakeS and Kicker let me ask allyuh this... If your employer makes a move or does something that you disagree with would you automatically quit?? Why is nobody asking for Lincoln Phillips to quit? Is he not working for the same organization? How about, instead of quitting because somebody have a gripe with your employer, working to change things from within?

I eh know Fuentes, and I doh presume to know how de man thinking what his reasons are fuh staying with or leaving de wuk. I just eh see de sense behind calling fuh he to leave.

I figure people with a sense of fairness and objectivity will wait for the matter to be settled in court or arbitration. As to spouting the company line, the company line has been that there is no blacklist. Fuentes just basically stated that there was one.
Fella...is not about "doing something yuh disagree with"...yuh think that's all at stake here?  My sense of Fuentes is that he's a fair man and my sense is that he knows that what the players are asking is fair.  I never had to lie fuh my job or otherwise compromise my principles.  Not saying this is what he's doing...but on the surface that's the impression I get.

that said, if he's supportive of the players in his heart yet spouting this boiler plate nonsense...then I find that problematic.

why people actin like Fuentes doin something they never do before?
allyuh men need to grow up.
How many of allyuh ever do something cause u HAD to because of your job?

You breed with jackass or what?? "Grow up"?? To imply that to criticize is an act of immaturity is the height of stupidity.  Yuh boss should tell yuh "go sell yuh ass on Nelson St."...leh we see if yuh principles ent kick in then.

First of all you never "have" to do anything that compromises your principles....and secondly, there are varying degrees of compromise- telling people that KFC curry chicken is tasty and detaching yourself from the players' cause are two vastly different degrees of compromise......but like I said/implied (and so did Bakes)...we're not even sure how Shaun really feels about the matter..............but IF it is that he's against what is going on, it's a pity that he has to play that role he is playing at the moment. Some may go one step further and say he should say to hell with that and fire de wuk.....that's a whole different conversation.

Precisely. 

If Fuentes really believe what he type then more power to him.  My sense from what I've gathered on this board is that he doesn't.  To NOT believe it and still spout it...well, no need to be redundant.

Fuentes works for TTFF. He is just delivering the message. You not supposed to shoot the messenger. Well, maybe.
Tell that to Rosencrantz and Gildenstern.

Fuentes give up a cushion wuk like dat. The man seein the world on tief money

Indeed...it's a tough gig to give up, but at what point are your principles compromised?  And at what price?

Maybe Fuentes just ent reach that point yet.

Guys, I think you all got to redirect your anger from Shaun Fuentes. Don't forget who's sending him out to face the press instead of doing it themselves. Fuentes didn't cause the impasse, and he's never openly supported the actions of TTFF. In most cases he tries to be as neutral as possible. Maybe he sticks around because he feels he can do more good being on the inside? Maybe he's sticking around in the hope that one day he'll work for a better TTFF? If he walks now, he'll never get the job back. Imagine if SPALK was TTFF media liaison.

Better the devil you know.

We should all focus on the people sending the message, not the guy delivering it.

Shaun Fuentes is a professional...when you find yourself in the midst of controversy and you're shoved to the front, then expect some of the heat to come your way.  At no point did I say the man have to quit, however I would be hard pressed to be putting out half-truths under the company banner.  Nobody is offering a sympathetic word for Oliver Camps.  Camps is not the devil, just one of his minions doing his master's bidding.  Camps have tuh eat too..how come nobody rushing to play advocate?  What, just because Fuentes on this board and buddy-buddy with some ah allyuh he supposed to be immune to criticism???

*steups*

Offline johnny_ringo

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2007, 09:08:23 AM »
like i said before GROW UP FELLAS

allyuh men actin like if Fuentes is the man who keeping the players from getting the money.

man talkin like he should come out and bad talk his bosses (THE PEOPLE THAT SIGNING HIS PAYCHECK EVERY WEEK)
allyuh mad

so lets say he does come out and say TTFF wrong and he stand with the players and they SHOULD GET THE MONEY THEY DESERVE wat allyuh think that go really prove?

allyuh forget is trini the man livin. So wat, he go leave a REALLY GOOD job to go back workin for the flickin guardian??? get serious , go from covering games all over the WORLD to covering some half assed pro league in arima?????

it real easy to say "have some principals, draw the line somewhere, stand up for what u think is right" BLAH BLAH BLAH....why allyuh doh ask all the men who wokin in the oil industry to fire they wok cause it killin the envirnment?

sometimes people jus have to learn to pick their fights and that is exactly what i think he doing.

besides the man could jus NOT be a trini football fan. MAYBE HE  IS AH CRICKET FAN and couldnt give ah rats ass about tnt football  ;D

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2007, 11:08:45 AM »
it real easy to say "have some principals, draw the line somewhere, stand up for what u think is right"

Is alright to do that eh.  But the people asking them things...what exactly they putting on the line?  Where the banners at the games?  Where the hunger strike?  Who missing days of work to protest and/or support the players?      :yapping:
Is all well and good to ask people to sacrifice for a greater cause but it rings hollow when you have little at stake or aren't doing much to begin with.
Those press releases are from the TTFF...they are not the personal opinion of Fuentes...that is how it works for ALL press officers.  You cannot ask that HE change the content of the release because it is not his release...it is a TTFF release.  You can ask him to resign to show solidarity(again what u doing) but to ask him to change the content of his press release as if it were his own is asking him to violate his professional responsibility and taint his career.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2007, 12:52:40 PM »
it real easy to say "have some principals, draw the line somewhere, stand up for what u think is right"

Is alright to do that eh.  But the people asking them things...what exactly they putting on the line?  Where the banners at the games?  Where the hunger strike?  Who missing days of work to protest and/or support the players?      :yapping:
Is all well and good to ask people to sacrifice for a greater cause but it rings hollow when you have little at stake or aren't doing much to begin with.
Those press releases are from the TTFF...they are not the personal opinion of Fuentes...that is how it works for ALL press officers.  You cannot ask that HE change the content of the release because it is not his release...it is a TTFF release.  You can ask him to resign to show solidarity(again what u doing) but to ask him to change the content of his press release as if it were his own is asking him to violate his professional responsibility and taint his career.

After the next inbred posted before you I say ah wasn't going to bother responding eh...but

can you facking read??

Where did you see anybody expressedly call for the man to resign?

Where did you see anybody say he should change press release?

Shaun Fuentes, a spokesman for Trinidad’s federation, said it “simply was not wise for us to have players representing us who are battling the federation.” Fuentes did confirm that Warner made assurances, which he may or may not have been authorized to make, but which the players accepted at face value.

Do you even know the meaning of "press release"??  This was a statement from the man's own lips, and reading within context it's clear it was in direct response to a question.  Which means it wasn't a prepared statement read off some piece of paper...that's him talking and covering the TTFF's ass. 

If Shaun Fuentes happy with the words coming out his mouth then more power to him, I can't tell him how to tweak his conscience and I certainly can't tell him to resign, but this talk about "not wise for us to have players representing us who are battling the federation" is nonsense.  The players reppin TnT not the TTFF.  Their dispute with the TTFF has nothing to do with their fealty to and representation of their country.

All allyuh two-faced idiots running up in here to defend Shaun Fuentes because (apparently) he's allyuh pardna...whey allyuh when Camps ketching heat?  Whey allyuh when Phillips ketching heat?  It's okay to villify Camps in particular because he's so closely aligned with Jackass Warner, but ent he too have tuh put bread on he table?  Where de cries fuh sympathy and understanding?  All he doing is following he boss' orders...nobody sorry fuh he?

As for this "yuh cyah criticize Fuentes unless you yuhself marching on de frontlines" bullshit how many protests have YOU organized?  Exactly what do YOU personally have at stake? Yuh picket in front TTFF headquarters yet?  My membership dues...which I just recently renewed btw...is what is helping to keep Warrior Nation going. THAT is my tacit support of the blacklisted players , through WN activities.  IF that is not enough for you then somebody from WN needs to send me a PM so that we could figure out the best way to handle my refund because clearly my money not being put to proper use.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 12:59:13 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2007, 01:22:35 PM »

No one was referring to the release- we were referring to Fuentes' direct quote- re-read and read the relevant responses (some thing I'm convinced you didn't do)......and you will understand where people are coming from. 

I don't remember anyone suggesting he resign either....and the whole tirade about what we're doing to show solidarity is irrelevant- next you're gonna tell me that I should fly to Somalia and feed the needy if I complain about crooked politics & corruption in that region.....In that case, everyone should resign themselves to having an opinion only about things for which they are only directly responsible/can make an impact..... :-\
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 01:26:01 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »

No one was referring to the release- we were referring to Fuentes' direct quote- re-read and read the relevant responses (some thing I'm convinced you didn't do)......and you will understand where people are coming from. 

I don't remember anyone suggesting he resign either....and the whole tirade about what we're doing to show solidarity is irrelevant- next you're gonna tell me that I should fly to Somalia and feed the needy if I complain about crooked politics & corruption in that region.....In that case, everyone should resign themselves to having an opinion only about things for which they are only directly responsible/can make an impact..... :-\

Exactly...doh criticise the US government and its sitting on its hands while genocide is taking place in Darfur...unless yuh bag done pack and yuh Peace Corps passport dun stamp.

This is the kinda sheep mentality that I duz talk about.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2007, 02:44:06 PM »

Exactly...doh criticise the US government and its sitting on its hands while genocide is taking place in Darfur...unless yuh bag done pack and yuh Peace Corps passport dun stamp.

This is the kinda sheep mentality that I duz talk about.

Oh boy...this reminding me of a certain thread......hopefully it doh reach 5 pages..... ;D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2007, 10:54:42 PM »

Ok I will admit I was wrong and yuh right I didn't read the direct quote.  I read it before but I didn't have it in mind writing my response.  I was more thinking about the criticism levelled against him prior to this cuz this ain't a one time thing.  In any case he was still representing the views of the Federation....it is the only reason why he was contacted in the first place. I still stand by most of it and I don't think the analogy with Somalia quite fits.

People could talk till thine kingdom come that is their right but talking long and hard at a rock doh make it move unless yuh begging somebody else to move it.   :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2007, 07:48:38 AM »

People could talk till thine kingdom come that is their right but talking long and hard at a rock doh make it move unless yuh begging somebody else to move it.   :beermug:

Which is why nobody ent making no special entreaty to Mr. Fuentes, how ever he chooses to reconcile his representation of the Federation with his (putative) support of the players is between him, his conscience and his God.  The rest of us can only opine from the outside.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2007, 10:38:21 AM »

Which is why nobody ent making no special entreaty to Mr. Fuentes, how ever he chooses to reconcile his representation of the Federation with his (putative) support of the players is between him, his conscience and his God.  The rest of us can only opine from the outside.

fair enough.

1]; } ?>