March 28, 2024, 08:09:59 AM

Author Topic: Seon Power  (Read 15671 times)

Offline christiano

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Seon Power
« on: June 13, 2007, 06:19:38 PM »
I have supported and read alot of flack about this player. But i want to bet that Seon Powers has what it takes to become a good defender for T&T . Great heart and commitment .I hope he keep up the good work  and dont let what he  read here affect his willingness to become a better player for T&T.

He has drastically improved CERTAIN aspects of his game from the  Digicel Cup and under the defensive coaching of WIM he will be a good enough defender in two years.

About the tourney. T&T with or without stars only once ever got past the first round. Great learning experience , much improved young stars that will form the bulk of our hope and dream for 2010 qualification.

WIM is a boss !!!!! Kudos to A. Roberts last night !!

Laters
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:21:18 PM by Tallman »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: Seon Powers !
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 06:24:40 PM »
De man have de raw materials to work with...

speed, endurance, passion, wildness...

Take heart from Cyd Gray versus Medford and work hard to turn it around...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 06:26:13 PM »
Yep we have Cyd Gray as the poster boy as what is possible.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 06:50:22 PM »
Isn't his name Seon Power ?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 07:01:53 PM »
De man have de raw materials to work with...

speed, endurance, passion, wildness...

Take heart from Cyd Gray versus Medford and work hard to turn it around...

minus speed.....

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 07:04:13 PM »
not everybody becomes a great player when u want them too, some people develop late in there carrer and become great players
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 07:06:38 PM »
I more encouraged by glenton wolfe.. He reminds me of avery with slightly better technique. Not a pure blade but covers ground well and keeps it simple. In the context of the game we wouldnt have seen him go forward as much would like to see how well he could overlap and join an attack. I wish we could go into another mini tournament so see this squad some more.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 07:15:18 PM »
I more encouraged by glenton wolfe.. He reminds me of avery with slightly better technique. Not a pure blade but covers ground well and keeps it simple. In the context of the game we wouldnt have seen him go forward as much would like to see how well he could overlap and join an attack. I wish we could go into another mini tournament so see this squad some more.

:applause: :applause:

I find he real play last night. only a few people said anything about him...but he, Jan and Trent Noel were excellent last night imo. fast, well positioned and discipline..none of his tackles were desperate uncontrolled blade and he was nearly unbeatable on the night. played his way into the future squad as far as I can see

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 07:22:14 PM »
Power=HEART thats the first thing that comes to mind when i hear his name!!!!
All American

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 07:26:49 PM »
yeah he really step up his game last night...I really didn't like his performance the first two games....BUT he was full ah Powers last night.....Christiano were at de stadium lastnight? ?? was it you ah tell before de game ah didn't like Powers??? ;D ;D

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 07:56:08 PM »
Cyd is a beacon of improving leaps and bounds. Wasn't it Cyd who headed a ball by his waist back into our box against Panama and this resulted in a goal during 2002 or 98 GC?

We all know the Hernon Medford story.

Powers has come far since the Digicel Cup. I doh mind him getting a run for a while longer.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 08:32:30 PM »
Yeah ,when yuh here Powers yuh tink of Grey,but Grey had fitness and speed to burn which helped his many deficiencies.Still yuh can't right off Powers or anyone of those players.Let's hope dey smart and use dis experience to better themselves.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 08:37:05 PM »
Isn't his name Seon Power ?
maybe they think he did so well that they have to add the S at the end of his name. ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 09:10:29 PM »
I saw every single Digicel Cup match of ours and a couple of JP games. Seon Power never impressed me in any of the games. His best match was against Haiti in the CFU final and even then he was just mediocre. The last two games however against the USA and Guatemala were encouraging. I say give Whim the benefit of the doubt on this one. If the man could start for us he has to have something on him. Against Guate last night the man show that he has the potential to improve and actually become a decent player. I would have given him a 7.

Offline Father Abraham

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 09:13:10 PM »
sean powers to me is ah shithound. now the man is 23 or 24 and at this age if you not ready for the grind when are you going to be ready. some may say i am hard on the fella but is dam shame when every ball he kick away to no one, he really can't kick the ball good, technique is poor. positioning is bad, he plays like is intercol football just wild and clueless. this football is international brand and as i alluded to before if you not ready at his age when will he be ready. from the first game this guy play just crawl my blood so i am on him. yes he may have heart, some skill but he can't make the grade. another thing, he play the left back but he doesn't seem a defender type, may be he could be used for overlapping runs but the team just hopeless going forward, can't connect at least 3 good passes so mr powers not going forward enough to be effective. on the defensive side he needs to be disciplined but to summarize everyting mr powers is not a smart player to make up for his deficiencies. not a fan.

Offline labi

• New Warrior
  • AKINLABINHO
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 09:26:30 PM »
POWERS IS REAL SHIT>>>DOGG SHIT
akinlabinho

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 10:23:17 PM »
The man improve and we cyar fault him for that.....but he ent ready for this level of ball.

They could more than find a replacement for him.

Our national team is not remedial or primary school...we don't bring you here to improve or find form.

Our national team supposed to be the best XI players that available.

No way no how Seon Power is the best left back in the pfl or who can represent TT

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 10:35:40 PM »
He is terrible...but i love his commitment and heart

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 10:45:24 PM »
still lots of room for improvement..but he stepped up his game last night ....do rember thoguh fellas one night alone is not fair to judge a man so therefore only time will tell

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 11:09:44 PM »
sorry..he doh do it for me...
too shaky in all i have seen of him since he get the initial callup

call in julius james or one a dem fellas from college...they hadda be a better wing back in the PFL than him i tink

maybe later on..but he not ready now

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 07:57:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure he knows his weaknesses, and it's pretty obvious that the coach sees something in him that he can work with- so all the armchair coaches who cyah kick a lime, singling him out and branding him a shittong on this thread, should temper it....because there is clearly a high degree of ignorance in your comments.....

It's also pretty obvious that left back is not his natural position- so everyone who keeps reiterating that there must be better left backs in the PFL could save their breath (fingers)....Because one: that is not obvious given the state of our local pro league and two: it is evident that Seon was alot more comfortable playing as a right sided defender...so that's a waste of time, unnecessarily derogatory comment. 

In terms of technique, decision making and positional play- I hate to break it to you, but the inadequacies of such run rampant in our squad...not just with Power- for some reason the microscope has been on him (Seon) this Gold Cup, but from what I remember, Theobald & Spann consistently made as many if not more errant passes than Seon, and it was Keyeno's lay lay pass across the back that cost us a point against El Salvador, Dwayne Jack's idiocy that probably, cost us a victory against Guatemala, and Keyeno's retarded & unnecessary challenge on Ruiz on the half line that stood out as the most amateur play in the cup for us.....(why not dedicate a thread to them).....

And again...his name is Seon Power not Powers  ;D

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 07:58:58 AM »
If he have de right attitude & Wim stick around.....Seon Power will be a STAR on de National team in 2 years.  Maybe less.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 08:01:21 AM »
POWERS IS REAL SHIT>>>DOGG SHIT

For some reason I could remember this being Cyd nickname too after the ''headed'' clearance when the ball was a foot off the ground. See, so Powers really can use Cyd as inspiration to improve !
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Justice is what de youths dem need overall..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 08:07:12 AM »

call in julius james or one a dem fellas from college...they hadda be a better wing back in the PFL than him i tink

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Good call ... and from earlier posts ... This is international football... not a dolly house league .... Many of our players are not technically ready for this level.  Speed of play and decision making need to improve.  The team did show alot of determination for being down a man.  Well done.
"...de way dem deal wit Mankind all mih gyal start bawl.."

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 08:12:44 AM »
Seon Power is NOT international caliber.

People keep talking about effort and fight, but fellas without the requisite amount of quality all effort and fight lead to is mistakes and pullstones for the other players.

Power got three games to show what he could do.  He looked bad in all three.

We must have a better wingback than him to groom.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 08:13:19 AM »

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Good call ... and from earlier posts ... This is international football... not a dolly house league .... Many of our players are not technically ready for this level.  Speed of play and decision making need to improve.  The team did show alot of determination for being down a man.  Well done.
steups@college eh i saw tiger play college ball and there he looked very  good and when he played for trini in digicel cup he couldna trap ah ball either.if allyuh never see ha pfl game doh talk.

seon powers was one of the better defenders in the digicel cup for tirni and he is very young. yes he has to work on hsi technical ability is obvious..be he will run himself into the groudn for the team... much more than alot of other players.
he is very very young. instead of fighting down de youth so much... i say encourage hiim to work on his defincies and he could be potentially ah very good player.
by exposing him to this level now...he know what time it is and its up to him to make that concious decsion to raise de level of his game.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 08:18:08 AM »
steups@college eh i saw tiger play college ball and there he looked very  good and when he played for trini in digicel cup he couldna trap ah ball either.if allyuh never see ha pfl game doh talk.

seon powers was one of the better defenders in the digicel cup for tirni and he is very young. yes he has to work on hsi technical ability is obvious..be he will run himself into the groudn for the team... much more than alot of other players.
he is very very young. instead of fighting down de youth so much... i say encourage hiim to work on his defincies and he could be potentially ah very good player.
by exposing him to this level now...he know what time it is and its up to him to make that concious decsion to raise de level of his game.

Some peeps lack foresight.  Not a criticism of dem....jes a opinion.  Is like some peeps expeck a man to walk on de field and perform miracles.

De same people who callin Power a shithong is de same one's ravin bout Toussaint because he rip 3 men in a play.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

truetrini

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 08:25:20 AM »
if he eh good enough den de coach is ah shit hound.

Wim is ah goat if all ah allyuh saying de man so bad...why Wim playing him den?

steups.

personally, me eh find de man any worse dan de others.

talk done!

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 08:38:33 AM »

Some peeps lack foresight.  Not a criticism of dem....jes a opinion.  Is like some peeps expeck a man to walk on de field and perform miracles.

De same people who callin Power a shithong is de same one's ravin bout Toussaint because he rip 3 men in a play.

not miracles Palos.  But it is not too much to ask a defender at this level to be able to:

pass the ball 10 yards on the ground to your teammate when you are under no pressure?

check your approach to a winger and determine the angle, especially when you are in the first third of the field (right in front of your goal)

make a simple 40 yard pass in the air into the channel down the line without it going out of bounds?

Just because a player is young doesn't mean that grooming him will make him a quality or even serviceable player at the international level.  Somebody yesterday mentioned Cyd Grey when he just broke onto the team.  Good example.  He made mistakes, but they were under pressure and his defensive strength made up for it.  Power made key errors defending, mad problems passing the ball under little or no pressure, and went forward only to lose the ball shortly thereafter.

Look at what Wim did: first game Power started at left back.  He is right-footed and he did a horrendous job.  His excuse was probably that he can't play left back.  The second game he played right back.   Played shit same way.  He even cost us a goal.  The third game he played right back once agin, but his performance again left much to be desired.  What other choices did Wim have?  How many defenders did we take?  Especially with Noreiga out, Wim was forced to keep Power in the line up.

Palos, what did you see that would make you opt to keep this player around?  And please don't say fight and effort -- this is not the Eddiie Hart league.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 08:44:16 AM »

not miracles Palos.  But it is not too much to ask a defender at this level to be able to:

pass the ball 10 yards on the ground to your teammate when you are under no pressure?

check your approach to a winger and determine the angle, especially when you are in the first third of the field (right in front of your goal)

make a simple 40 yard pass in the air into the channel down the line without it going out of bounds?

Just because a player is young doesn't mean that grooming him will make him a quality or even serviceable player at the international level.  Somebody yesterday mentioned Cyd Grey when he just broke onto the team.  Good example.  He made mistakes, but they were under pressure and his defensive strength made up for it.  Power made key errors defending, mad problems passing the ball under little or no pressure, and went forward only to lose the ball shortly thereafter.

Look at what Wim did: first game Power started at left back.  He is right-footed and he did a horrendous job.  His excuse was probably that he can't play left back.  The second game he played right back.   Played shit same way.  He even cost us a goal.  The third game he played right back once agin, but his performance again left much to be desired.  What other choices did Wim have?  How many defenders did we take?  Especially with Noreiga out, Wim was forced to keep Power in the line up.

Palos, what did you see that would make you opt to keep this player around?  And please don't say fight and effort -- this is not the Eddiie Hart league.
JAH you basing this one 3 games right...and hsi games wasnt much worse than any othe rmember of his team?? give or take.

i saw him play about 5-6 games before than these 3. Admittedly this is higher level ah step up from digicel cup but he played agsiant haiti, cuba etc and played admirably. In de first game he had one ro 2 of the betetr attacking runs down de left flank  much more than i can say for our wingers.
 If your pts are valid they will eb valid in different ways for most of the team. What glasglwo do?? bleeder play average for  aplayer with his experince and "level" no??
so pic on seon for why now??
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

1]; } ?>