April 26, 2024, 05:24:08 AM

Author Topic: The Age-old argument: Country over Club or vice versa?  (Read 851 times)

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Age-old argument: Country over Club or vice versa?
« on: June 15, 2007, 02:05:07 PM »
Yeah, so, as the La Liga season draws to a close with a thrilling climax, various players have been called up for international duty. Amongst them are Robinho and Diarra of Real Madrid and Kanoute of Sevilla. Brazil were adamant in their insistence that Robinho report to Brazil for the beginning of their two-week training session and only then would it be decided if they would allow him to go back to Madrid. On the other hand Diarra said from upfront that playing for his country meant more to him than playing in that final for Real Madrid. So FIFA stepped in and ordered both Brazil and Mali to release the La Liga players so Robinho never reported to Brazil and Diarra, who was already in Mali training, is on his way back, much to his ire. Under normal circumstances I would say country over club, but now...naaaaaaaah! Ah woulda rel ben if Robinho wasn't allowed to play. True...Real pull some strings n ting to make FIFA agree with them (especially since Sepp n all admit he is ah Real fan and want them to win the title) but...wha allyuh think. Diarra is very upset saying that FIFA's decision was "scandalous" and Robinho is insisting that Brazil should "understand" the situation. In his case, I can kinna empathise because it's just a training camp and as he said, he would still be training in Madrid. Buh Diarra wanted to play in a crucial African Cup of Nations match and it was very important to him to represent his country. So...meen know.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Age-old argument: Country over Club or vice versa?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 02:59:54 PM »
Yeah this one tough.....

I am usually a country over club fella, but in this case my bias (being a Madrid fan) is to be glad they are playing in the crucial la liga finale....I'm Brazil fan too- but I don't think they will be too hurt by Robinho missing some days in training camp.

Hope Brazil wins the copa nevertheless, and Madrid wins la liga this weekend...

As for Mali ? Not really on my radar.....but best wishes to them as well.... :beermug:
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 06:15:53 PM »
Yeah this one tough.....

I am usually a country over club fella, but in this case my bias (being a Madrid fan) is to be glad they are playing in the crucial la liga finale....I'm Brazil fan too- but I don't think they will be too hurt by Robinho missing some days in training camp.

Hope Brazil wins the copa nevertheless, and Madrid wins la liga this weekend...

As for Mali ? Not really on my radar.....but best wishes to them as well.... :beermug:

My sentiments exactly.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 06:43:59 PM »
Allyuh are both Madrid fans..so far this not even a club vs country debate. This is a 'my favorite club' vs. country debate heheheh ;D

Country comes first..but there has to be understanding that the clubs are the real paymasters. So sometimes both have to compromise...In this case, even as a Barca fan, yuh feel yuh hadda let them boys play. This final week in La Liga is too crucial. But in this case, Brazil and Mali in a hard positions and I can see why they weren't in a mood to compromise. Obviously Diarra is the most high profile Malian along with Kanoute. That is their 'Yorke' and 'Latas' and they need them. I doubt they are anywhere near replaceable. I am sure the entire squad and tactics are built around them..so they need them even in training.  Sevilla probably need Kanoute even more than Madrid needs Diarra.

Brazil needs Robinho more than usual. Kaka and Ronaldinho done say they not playing..so the entire attack is based around Robinho. It is Dunga's first real test and Brazil's group is hard. This is not a usual Brazil scenario..They actually need Robinho more than usual.

The real culprit here is FIFA who somehow could not come up with a better schedule to avoid such conflicts. Or maybe La Liga..everyone else done long time..why is the league set up to finish so long after everyone else in Europe

Visca El Barca!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 11:49:44 PM »
This debate was easy to resolve. If the Copa had started then they could have demanded him. Is camp he go learn what Dunga want in time.

PS I am a Barca fan
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>