April 20, 2024, 01:03:51 AM

Author Topic: I am very dissapointed in Daren Ganga  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I am very dissapointed in Daren Ganga
« on: June 18, 2007, 10:56:20 AM »
After all the faith i have shown in Daren Ganga as a captain i feel very let down by him moving down to 3 and passing the buck onto Devon Smith to open. That is not what i expect from a leader especially in the middle of a test match. To be honest just because of what he has done today he would no longer be my choice of captain. I cannot accept the message he has sent out to the rest of our dressing room and the opposition by moving down to number 3 in the middle of a test match.

Although i feel it is in the best interests of the team for him to open i dont mind so much the fact that he was batting at 3 but the manner in which he ended up batting at 3. The captain started the match as an opener, got out first ball of the match, and then decided instead of toughing it out and being strong mentally and not showing any signs of weakness to the opposition by coming out to open second time round, he decided to drop down the order in the second innings and let Devon Smith open instead. That was sure to have given England a lift as they had our captain running scared. I didnt expect this from Daren Ganga and is something that i was unable to take into account when i wanted him as captain of West Indies. After seeing the events of today i am sorry to say Daren Ganga is no longer my choice as captain of the West Indies.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 01:12:53 PM by Remie »

TrinInfinite

Re: I am very dissapointed in Daren Ganga
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 01:27:36 PM »
you have alot of merit in what you speak breddah, but did it ever occur to you that it may not have been ganga's doing, to drop the order? ??? coach moore may have also said to him, i will drop you down the order and allow smith to open, however this is just a assumption... i too feel ganga should have braved it out and opened but ganga makes most of his runs in the 3 position or middle order for trinidad and they have been successful with him there, he may be trying it with the west indies also, i have no problem with him dropping down the order, but it still remains that ganga is de bess captain in the west indies, he is allowed to make a mistake... no ones perfect...

dont be too harsh on him breddah, so far he has been able to get 20 wickets out of his captaincy, something sarwan wasnt doin...

God is de BOSS...

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 01:35:15 PM »
I could be being over harsh on Ganga as no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes, but i cant get my head around him running scared. I really didnt expect that from him, and i would assume the final decision on who opened would have lay with Ganga not Moore.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 01:37:31 PM »
I could be being over harsh on Ganga as no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes, but i cant get my head around him running scared. I really didnt expect that from him, and i would assume the final decision on who opened would have lay with Ganga not Moore.

i dont know about that breds, after samuels filed that complaint it seems moore is making the final decisions, i think ganga would have dropped down the order not bc hes scared but bc of a tactical move maybe... only the lord knows... the post press conference will tell all..

God is de BOSS....

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 02:17:17 PM »
As i said in my opening post i dont have a problem as such with Ganga at 3 but the manner in which he ended up at 3 i have concerns with. Ganga himself might not be scared to open and batting at 3 was a tactical move but he is the leader and the message he is conveying to the rest of our dressing room and the opposition is that he is running scared as he is coming off a first ball duck opening in the first innings.

Ganga is still the best captain in the West Indies but he is not the captain i thought he would be. Therefore i no longer can say he should be in the ODI side on his captaincy alone because if for what ever reason decisions are being made under his captaincy like the one made today that i cannot accept. So i can no longer say i want Ganga as West Indies ODI captain.

I do not like splitting the captaincy in Tests and ODIs so that is why i have to say, given the above reasons, Ganga is no longer my choice for captain.

Offline RRamdin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 03:26:30 PM »
I don't think you can just take the captaincy away from Ganga based on one decision. Although like you I am very disappointed that Ganga dropped down the order; as you say it looked as if he was running scared from the England opening bowlers. I thought Ganga was stronger mentally than that, that no matter what he will always step up and put himself on the line. By today's showing this doesn't seem to be the case, and make no mistake about it, 9/10 times its the captains perrogative to determine the batting line-up.

Having said all this, Ganga is only a stand-in captain and he is captaining in an extremely difficult situation, this one incident should not detract from his future captaincy opportunities. No matter how much he captains Trinidad, captaining at International level is wholly different scenario and it takes time to adapt...only after Ganga has had a full series as captain will we know whether he will be or ever could be a relatively decent west indies captain. 

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 03:39:54 PM »
I don't think you can just take the captaincy away from Ganga based on one decision. Although like you I am very disappointed that Ganga dropped down the order; as you say it looked as if he was running scared from the England opening bowlers. I thought Ganga was stronger mentally than that, that no matter what he will always step up and put himself on the line. By today's showing this doesn't seem to be the case, and make no mistake about it, 9/10 times its the captains perrogative to determine the batting line-up.

Having said all this, Ganga is only a stand-in captain and he is captaining in an extremely difficult situation, this one incident should not detract from his future captaincy opportunities. No matter how much he captains Trinidad, captaining at International level is wholly different scenario and it takes time to adapt...only after Ganga has had a full series as captain will we know whether he will be or ever could be a relatively decent west indies captain. 

Just to make it clear I am not advocating Ganga being stripped of the vice captaincy when Sarwan comes back or anything like that. I am just making it clear that i can no longer say Ganga is my choice as captain now especially in ODI cricket where his batting alone does not warrant a squad place, because for the last few months i was supporting Ganga whole heartedly thinking that in pressure scenarios like the one today he would make the right decisions. I just wanted to clarify my stance on the captaincy issue as it had changed after i saw Devon Smith walking out to bat with Chris Gayle for the start of the 2nd innings today.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:45:07 PM by Remie »

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 10:33:59 PM »
Ganga fail in he las 6 innings , he ent getting a sniff back on dat team.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 12:22:56 AM »
As much as ah like Ganga, I can't keep him on as capatiain or even on the team.
49,31,5,9,5,0,0,0. Them scores don't cut it. Ah sorry but he has to go. Very good leadership qualities, but if you can't perform, its time to go, and what making me more mad, is how the hell you going to get out the same way 5 times in one tour. You telling me you couldn't get ah tape of the game and go work on yuh problem. one or two times is cool, but FIVE times.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 02:00:46 AM »
To be honest although he kept making low scores i had faith that if he stayed mentally strong he would come good and a good score was just around the corner. In fact i still believe he is not far away from a good score.

The statement of intent he made as captain by dropping down to 3 in the middle of a test on the back of a first ball duck as opener is more dissapointing to me than any of the low scores.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 07:29:29 AM »
if ganga goin, sarwan and gayle has to go also bc their average for the last year and a half is way below ganga average for the last year....

God is de BOSS....

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 08:27:10 AM »
ganga is ah big disappointment with the bat, he giving reason to discard his a$$ again, good captaincy or not..he has to get serious, dem scores in recent times suggest he getting ready for ah Curry Q and not test cricket.

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 08:56:30 AM »
Although i was dissapointed with Ganga's decision to bat 3 yesterday i want to make it clear i am not calling for him to be dropped as a player or vice captain for that matter.

I feel that everything he has done in first class cricket over the last 10 years warrants a fair crack at test cricket. I want him to be given an extended run as a test batsman as it is the least that he deserves.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 10:53:52 AM by Remie »

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
I do not agree with you on this one Remie. Does Ganga continue to put his team under pressure by failing at the opening position or does he give them a chance to ease some of the pressure made by his failings by giving a genuine opener (who had been looking in better touch) a chance to establish a solid start for us? That is what leadership is about. It's about making the best decisions so the team can do well, not take all the responsibilities alone. If they had gone on to post a 50 run partnership would you have been as harsh on Ganga?

I don't think being the captain is about proving that you can score runs when you're struggling. It's about bringing out the best in your team. He (and the coach?) made a decision to try and do just that. Unfortunately it did not work.

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 12:42:49 PM »
I do not agree with you on this one Remie. Does Ganga continue to put his team under pressure by failing at the opening position or does he give them a chance to ease some of the pressure made by his failings by giving a genuine opener (who had been looking in better touch) a chance to establish a solid start for us? That is what leadership is about. It's about making the best decisions so the team can do well, not take all the responsibilities alone. If they had gone on to post a 50 run partnership would you have been as harsh on Ganga?

I don't think being the captain is about proving that you can score runs when you're struggling. It's about bringing out the best in your team. He (and the coach?) made a decision to try and do just that. Unfortunately it did not work.

I understand what you are saying and obviously on this matter we have a difference of opinion which happens in sport/cricket. I respect your opinion.

But to answer your question on would i have been as harsh on Ganga if there was a 50 run partnership. Honestly i would have been. I dont blame Ganga for the team failing to make runs or anything like that. I just knew when i saw Devon Smith walking out to open with Gayle, Ganga was no longer the captain i had thought he would be and i was going to post this topic regardless of the outcome.

If Devon Smith and Gayle had of started the test as the openers with Ganga at 3 i would have had no problem but the fact that Ganga has started the match as an opener and got out first ball of the match and then came out 3 in the second innings i just feel that is too much of a sign of weakness from the captain especially when half the battle in cricket at the top level is in the mind.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 07:05:52 PM »
Ganga should have put himself not at 3 but at 6 or 7.  He was the vitual opener anyway with Smith getting out so quickly.  It did not make a difference.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Yep he gone because he Trini. Gayle and Sarwan will remain becasue JA and Guyanese players not to mention B'dos could play bad and reamin on the WI team. Trinis however, always on the selectors chop list.

Ganga boi finish yuh law degree specialize in Sports Law and give the WICB HELLLLLLLLL.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>