April 29, 2024, 04:46:37 AM

Author Topic: Avery Sat Back and Supported.  (Read 4329 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Avery Sat Back and Supported.
« on: June 18, 2007, 10:19:55 PM »
Avery Sat Back and Supported.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF Media).

Trinidad and Tobago defender Avery John thought about joining his countrymen for  a training session while they were in Boston for the CONCACAF Gold Cup couple weeks back. So much for wanting to be part of the national set up again, the current MLS based player added that he would certainly have welcomed the chance to be part of the set up as the team tried to progress beyond the first round.
John is a member of the New England Revolution which plays its home matches at the Gillette Foxboro Stadium where T&T drew 1-1 with Guatemala last Tuesday. It’s its session on the eve of the game, John turned up to greet the T&T contingent and also found his way in the dressing room after the match the following night having played before under Rijsbergen and alongside some of the members of the team that participated at the Gold Cup.
“Just being here makes you feel like being back home again,” John told TTFF Media after meeting with the team. “You are watching the game and you know for a fact that you want to be here but obviously certain things prevented that so the most you can do is just sit back, watch and try to support the guys,” he added.
“It’s nice to have them in town. I had a couple conversations with them and also try let them know what to expect from the pitch.”
And about whether he was serious about joining the team for the pre-match training session, John laughed but also wouldn’t have mind lacing his boots up if just for the hour,
“They are kind of struggling and it would have been nice to join them for a session…just to be part of it again just for that hour or so.”
He felt the team was capable of progressing to the second round.
“I still believe we had a chance to get into the playoffs, It wasn’t easy. It went down to the wire but I had confidence in them.”
He obviously has ambitions to wear the national strip again.
“Right now everyone is standing firm. Hopefully something can be solved eventually and but fast as well. Right now we are still trying to discuss it and see how best it can be solved.”

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 05:26:05 AM by Flex »

truetrini

Re: Avery Sat Back and Supported
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 10:37:07 PM »
sad!

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 04:52:24 AM »
Avery Sat Back and Supported
“It’s nice to have them in town. I had a couple conversations with them and also try let them know what to expect from the pitch.”

Avery must have spent some time with Dwayne Jack showing him how best to get sent off

Offline Warrior30

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 04:57:58 AM »
Arrow... alyuh fellas is real assoles yes.... they should send yuh ASS off from de forum for that stupid comment
For de love of de game

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 05:28:50 AM »
Arrow... alyuh fellas is real assoles yes.... they should send yuh ASS off from de forum for that stupid comment

fella arrow is ah kicks man... he is de master of de one liner..yuh eh understand yet.

i find de post real f**king funny dread.  lol

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Avery Sat Back and Supported.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 05:43:10 AM »
I enjoyed a bit of humour. We is Trini a little Banter good for the soul

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 06:07:06 AM »
This was good to see...He was at the game wearing alot of red...I made some stupid comments about him but Avery John is a level headed person...Go T&T

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 06:53:50 AM »
this look like socrates and a protege.

"oh great wim...teach to play like the dutch masters of the 70s"

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 08:19:47 AM »
Avery Sat Back and Supported

Avery must have spent some time with Dwayne Jack showing him how best to get sent off

allyuh like $hit...anyway it real sad how jack warner is destroying our football...i feel i might to be ah waggonist and jump off because it eh make sense how man could be so vindicative.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 08:22:03 AM by real madness »

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 08:47:25 AM »
Since this is a thread on A.John, check this article, which is along the same lines as Shaun Fuentes' piece:

John caught in T&T pay dispute
By Kyle McCarthy / MLSnet.com Staff

Avery John has been unable to play for Trinidad & Tobago in the Gold Cup. (Martin Morales/MLS/WireImage.com)

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- As the final seconds of Tuesday night's 1-1 draw between Trinidad and Tobago and Guatemala ticked away, one can't help but wonder what New England Revolution defender Avery John was thinking.

John probably would have been on the Gillette Stadium field he sees most weekends as part of the Revs, playing for his country instead of watching from the stands.

But a conflict between the World Cup players and the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation concerning World Cup bonuses has left John and his fellow World Cup teammates on the sidelines watching a domestic-based team gain only one point and fall out of the tournament at the group stages.

"It's not a good feeling," John said. "It's been almost a year since the World Cup. To see things they way they are, it's not good. It's very difficult to watch."

The two sides have bickered over the amount of bonuses since the conclusion of the World Cup. After the federation promised the players a sum of money as a reward for qualification, it reneged on the deal and offered the players lower terms.

John said that it is important for his group to hold its ground in order to bring the federation up to international standards as T&T attempts to qualify for its second World Cup in 2010.

"For me and the rest of the guys, it's bad," John said. "We're trying to get things sorted out for now and for the future of Trinidad and Tobago football."

But those qualification efforts have taken a massive hit with the Gold Cup performance. A Trinidad side expected to challenge for the title has fallen out at the first hurdle.

"It has had a definite impact," United States manager Bob Bradley said. "That would hurt any team. It's played a definite role in our group."

The lack of success in the tournament has tempered the enthusiasm from the success of the country's first World Cup campaign last summer, according to John.

"You have all the momentum and you want to build upon it," John said. "Everything has crashed right now. It's really disastrous. It can't get any worse."

With the regulars out of contention, the TTFF called up players from its domestic league. U.S. fans might recognize a pair of former MLS players: Keyeno Thomas (San Jose) and Gary Glasgow (Kansas City).

John said that in the long run, the dispute may help the national team program by developing players that can contribute on that level.

"It gives the other guys a chance to gain exposure," John said. "We don't have a large group to select from. It's a learning experience for them. Hopefully, the guys that are there can see what it takes. Then they can go home and say that we're way below where we need to be."

Improvement will require continued focus on the domestic league in Trinidad. The league currently operates on a semi-professional basis, with players struggling for fitness in major tournaments such as the Gold Cup.

"They understand we need a little bit more to go any further," Trinidad and Tobago manager Wim Rijsbergen said after his team was eliminated. "We need to work more. We need a little bit more in the league."

John believes continued investment and faith in cultivating soccer in the country is necessary to grow in stature on the world stage.

"We have a domestic league that needs investment," John said. "It is a third world country, but it's developing. It is just a matter how much the culture can take the progress."

Progress will involve getting the first-team regulars back into the international fold. John expects that the two sides will return to the bargaining table soon in order to thrash out a compromise.

"All communication has broken down," John said. "I think after the Gold Cup, it will pick up."

Rijsbergen expressed confidence that the federation could settle the claims prior to the World Cup qualification efforts scheduled to start next year.

"We will try to get the best team together for the next games," Rijsbergen said. "Hopefully between now and the end of the year, we will have some discussions for the boys."

After missing out on the Gold Cup, John has been given a chance to earn back his place in the Revolution lineup. Despite starting the first four games of the season, John has fallen behind James Riley in the defensive pecking order.

With Michael Parkhurst with the U.S. national team, John should have a spot in the team for Saturday's contest against Columbus.

"While it's disappointing [not to be there], I can stake a claim for a place in the team here," John said.

Revolution boss Steve Nicol said that while the situation was unfortunate for John, it has the potential to help the club as it seeks to return to its winning ways on Saturday.

"It gives him an opportunity to step onto the field," Nicol said. "It's good for me that I can turn to Avery."

Kyle McCarthy is a contributor to MLSnet.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 09:08:21 AM »
That is what yuh call a "true professional."  Still could come out and support the boys regardless.  Now if only Jackula could get a lil class and pay them men for the blood and sweat they shed for us last World Cup.

And Ponnox, doe digs nutten, we does all make stupid comments on the site. I hope that sooner than later you realize that Jack is a ole' scamp and that he has a WRITTEN CONTRACT with them fellas regarding payments.  He can't get away from this one. This is not "FIFA LAW" he dealing with here, this is the law of the land. Them boys will win they case....
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 02:06:06 PM by SOBRIQUET »
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 09:49:36 AM »
Shaun Fuentes...or his editor needs to start paying better attention to his dispatches, some of the errors are unbecoming a "press/media" officer.

that said, really good article...nice to show a little bit of balance and perspective by giving voice (even though it's the voice of a moderate) to the other side in the dispute.  Avery did a fine job of communicating his frustration without abandoning diplomacy...straddling that line isn't always easy, but he pulled it off.

Good hustle too to Fuentes, clearly with the circus that surely was taking place during the SW foray across the US, and with the Noriega situation etc....nice for him to get us this story, which easily could have been lost or overlooked.  I hope Avery (and the other players) get a chance to represent for TnT again.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 09:53:44 AM »
This was good to see...He was at the game wearing alot of red...I made some stupid comments about him but Avery John is a level headed person...Go T&T
Doh beat yuhself up too much, we hard on dem in true Trini fashion...ah li'l bit ah tough love mix in wid fatigue and ole talk.  I doubt any ah we mean the criticism in a personal way....but yeah, Avery show real class there.

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 02:22:17 PM »
bump
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 06:10:05 PM »
Avery lil wild Jack very dotish. No comparision
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 10:21:01 AM »

nice to see you admit that ur comments were a bit unjust...it easy for ppl on this forum to talk about players when they dont know dem personally or havent even met them...ask Ti and Hardest.

1]; } ?>