June 16, 2024, 09:47:23 PM

Author Topic: England's 2018 World Cup hopes rest on Warner  (Read 29434 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
I'm alright Jack: The men derailing England's 2018 FIFA World Cup bid
« Reply #180 on: November 12, 2009, 11:41:24 PM »
I'm alright Jack: The men derailing England's 2018 FIFA World Cup bid   
by Phil Lythell (Sportingo)

England will have to beg for the right to host the World Cup and this Sportingo author does not believe the indignity is worth it.

It is often said that politics and sport should never mix - but unfortunately that is said more in hope than expectation.

From the Berlin Olympics in 1936 to the so-called ‘Football War’ between Honduras and El Salvador in 1969, history is littered with examples that utterly refute that suggestion.

These days the politics may be less about socio-economic ideology but the stench of corruption and the inherent demand for sycophancy still pollutes sport wherever power and influence matters more than skill or physical talent.

I am talking, of course, about the bidding process to host the FIFA World Cup in 2018.

There are a number of factors that need to be taken into account when choosing the location of football’s greatest spectacle and England appears to tick every box that matters.

The most important of these is stadia and there can be no suggestion that England is not up there with the best in the world regarding both quantity and quality of football grounds. Even then the bid team are possibly planning to use new stadia built in Nottingham and/or Bristol so that the tournament touches each corner of the country.

Transport is another major issue. The land mass of England is tiny compared to the likes of Australia or Russia and with no grounds being more than five hours from each other getting around would pose no problem for teams, fans and officials presuming, of course, that there are no leaves on the line.

Security is the hot talking point of the 21st century and while no situation can completely elude a determined miscreant there are enough cctv cameras in the UK to stretch to the moon and back. Pitched together with a paranoid government and twitchy security services, we should all be pretty safe.

The love of football in these isles is also enough to guarantee commercial success for the tournament. Even if every Scotsman’s dream came true and England were to get knocked out in the first round, FIFA executives would have no problems paying for their frivolous lunches and sponsors would be left counting wads of cash.

Other issues such as grass roots development of the sport, off-setting the environmental impact of staging the finals and  making suitable philanthropic gestures all need to be addressed by bidding teams.

But despite the amount of rhetoric that goes into bolstering the illusion that the bid that most ably fulfils these criteria will subsequently host the tournament, we all know that it is complete and utter nonsense.

It all comes down to personalities and one particularly obnoxious one is Jack Warner – the president of CONCACAF and a FIFA vice-president. The Trinidadian is said to control up to three votes amongst the 24-strong FIFA executive committee that decides these things and is a huge obstacle in the way of a successful England bid.

Warner, let's not forget, made around $1m by illegally selling tickets on the black market for the 2006 World Cup in Germany for up to three times their face value. Yet somehow he is still in a job and not in jail.

Another great moment in the life of ‘I’m alright’ Jack was when, in 2004, after Trinidad & Tobago had played a friendly against Scotland, he asked the then SFA president, John McBeth, to pay the appearance fee to him personally. McBeth sensibly smelt a rat and refused.

Warner, as president of the national FA, has also defaulted on bonus payments to the 2006 Trinidad & Tobago World Cup squad despite being ordered by an arbitration panel to do so.

Anyone reading the newspapers will have seen him being vociferously anti-England and his latest tantrum stems from a legitimate gift of a Mulberry handbag from the England bid team to his wife. Warner initially accepted the gift gratefully but then, under no duress, angrily returned it citing some fictional embarrassment to his family. A bit rich from someone with a past as dubious as his.

He has cited the English press as being unfair to him - but then what do you expect when you behave like a crook? The journalists are merely reporting what happens to be true.

Another delightful member of the committee is Argentina’s Julio Grondona, who has made such extraordinary remarks as "I do not believe a Jew can ever be a referee at this level. It's hard work and, you know, Jews don't like hard work."

FIFA President Sepp Blatter’s opinion of Grondona? “"Julio's a monumental man. We are friends for ever."

Together with the notoriously Anglophobic Michel Platini, at least one-sixth of the committee is made up of nefarious individuals with an axe to grind.

England’s only chance of success is to adhere to their eccentric demands such as Warner’s desire to meet the Queen and David Beckham which is obviously far more important to FIFA’s executive committee than the health and safety of spectators or the ability to cope with the threat of terrorism.

Surely England should not be selling its soul to these devils. The World Cup in England would be a magnificent once-in-a-lifetime experience but is it worth losing what remains of our integrity?

The Premier League is an extremely compelling competition and is the continent’s standard-bearer, so why allow outside influences such as Platini to dilute what we have just for a month's worth of entertainment in 2018?

Will all the excitement and cash generated from a successful four-week tournament really be enough to cleanse from us the filth from pandering to such an odious man as Jack Warner?

The simple answer is no. English football stands to lose too much and could change forever just for the sake of being briefly in the spotlight.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: I'm alright Jack: The men derailing England's 2018 FIFA World Cup bid
« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2009, 11:47:13 PM »
All d Jack lovers u c he menion d Argentina fella so dey eh upset that dey have grovel 2 d BLACKKKKK MANN.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 13, 2009, 05:15:32 AM »
Hear nah dem fellas in the UK press just waiting.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 13, 2009, 07:34:53 AM »
Hear nah dem fellas in the UK press just waiting.....

Dey on pins and needles
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #184 on: November 15, 2009, 01:39:25 PM »
Separated at birth?

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 15, 2009, 02:09:32 PM »
Triplets?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 11:28:12 PM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

truetrini

« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2009, 05:03:03 PM »

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jack Warner in Zurich
« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2009, 02:42:35 AM »
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Warner in Zurich
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2009, 11:36:46 AM »

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2009, 06:38:58 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0puFaKUg56I   

JW yuh does long like a bigger klown evry time I c this

No class or couth whatsoever.

The "mudder" comment was particularly disgraceful.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2009, 06:48:43 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0puFaKUg56I   

JW yuh does long like a bigger klown evry time I c this

No class or couth whatsoever.

The "mudder" comment was particularly disgraceful.
[/quote

COSIGNNNNN

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
World Cup 2018: Gordon Brown meets Fifa's Jack Warner to back England's bid
« Reply #191 on: November 27, 2009, 04:23:37 PM »
World Cup 2018: Gordon Brown meets Fifa's Jack Warner to back England's bid
By Nicholas Watt (guardian.co.uk)

Gordon Brown intervened today to shore up England's troubled bid for the 2018 World Cup when he met a veteran Fifa vice-president who has dismissed England's chances.

The prime minister took time out from the Commonwealth summit to meet the Trinidadian Jack Warner who recently criticised the England bid leadership as "lightweight".

Downing Street described the 20-minute meeting with Warner, who influences five of Fifa's 24 votes, as positive.

Warner, who is close to the Fifa president Sepp Blatter, said England had some of the world's best facilities and would be ready to host the World Cup tomorrow.

A No 10 spokesman said: "The meeting between Gordon Brown and Jack Warner was very positive. Mr Warner was complimentary about England's sporting infrastructure and said he recognised that England would be ready to host the World Cup tomorrow. If it were held tomorrow he recognised England would be ready."

Brown told Warner of the nation's passion for football and spoke of the government's absolute support for the bid. He pointed out the England will not have hosted the World Cup for 52 years by 2018. Ministers have agreed to underpin the bid with a guarantee of £350m.

The No 10 spokesman added: "The prime minister re-emphasised his personal passion and the nation's passion for football and sport more generally and underlined the government's commitment to sport, saying that sports in schools would be going from two hours a week at present to five hours a week in 2012."

Brown requested the meeting with Warner, one of the most influential figures in world football, who is head of Concacaf, the body covering North and Central America and the Caribbean. They joked at the beginning of the meeting and Brown spoke of his friendship with Marvin Andrews, a Trinidad national player, who played for his team, Raith Rovers.

The meeting was important because Warner, a member of Fifa's executive committee since 1983, delivered a major blow to the England bid in October when he said the bid team were unknown in international football circles. Warning that England was falling behind the European rival bids of Spain and Portugal and Russia, he told the Leaders in Football conference: "My [Fifa] colleagues are saying very quietly that the guys who are coming to them are lightweight. This is the type of thing that loses you a bid.

"England's attributes surpass any other country. I would have been more aggressive in the market place. If I had the Premier League, Beckham and the Queen, there would have been many things I could have done for the people who are voting. I would have made them next-door neighbours to make them the first name on people's lips."

Warner also damaged England's bid when he announced that his wife had returned a £230 Mulberry handbag given by the 2018 bid team when they attended the Leaders in Football conference in October. In a letter to Lord Triesman, the leader of the 2018 bid, Warner spoke of his fury at media criticism of the gift. "I have faced and continue to face all kinds of indignities from all manner of persons, but when these insults touch my wife, it represents an all time low," he wrote.

Downing Street said the England bid leadership was not discussed during today's meeting which took place at the British high commission in Port of Spain. A No 10 source said: "England has in place the architecture of a potentially successful bid."

No 10 was encouraged by the meeting. But Warner's positive comments about England's sporting infrastructure are consistent with what he has been saying publicly. His criticisms relate to the bid team which was not discussed.

The bid team has been plagued by problems. Sir Dave Richards, the chairman of the Premier League, resigned as the bid's vice-chairman for international relations, this week after a restructuring of its structure. His resignation was seen as a vote of no confidence by the league in Lord Triesman, the chairman of the Football Association, who is leading the 2018 bid.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 27, 2009, 04:31:55 PM »
Triplets?

Voodoo Economics. Warner? Warner? Anyone?

AirMan

(Video) England 2018 bid back on track - Warner
« Reply #193 on: June 11, 2010, 06:31:19 PM »
FIFA vice-president Jack Warner has said that England's bid to host the 2018 World Cup is 'back on track' and the damage 'contained' following bid chairman Lord Triesman's resignation after reportedly accusing Spanish and Russian football federations of conspiring in bribery

Video inside..http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8732211.stm

1]; } ?>