April 24, 2024, 04:54:37 AM

Author Topic: England's 2018 World Cup hopes rest on Warner  (Read 28737 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
England's 2018 World Cup hopes rest on Warner
« on: June 24, 2007, 09:37:57 AM »
England's 2018 World Cup hopes rest on Warner
By: Express.

Sunday, June 24th 2007

ENGLAND'S hopes of staging the 2018 FIFA World Cup could rest on winning the support of FIFA vice-president Jack Warner.

High-level talks about the bid have taken place between Government officials and FIFA figures, and the feedback is that the English will need to persuade Warner and his ally Chuck Blazer to support the 2018 finals returning to Europe, a report in the Edinburgh Evening News last week stated.

If strict rotation of the World Cup were to continue, it would be the turn of Warner and Blazer's CONCACAF federation to be hosts--in effect one of Mexico, USA or Canada--so the Football Association will have offer a pretty big carrot in return for their backing when FIFA's executive committee make the all-important decision in November.

Europe's chances of being given the tournament again and ending strict rotation do look good, however--as high as 80 per cent, according to one source.

The importance of FA chairman Geoff Thompson's election to be Britain's FIFA vice-president following the John McBeth fiasco could be a plus for England.

Warner is a fan of Thompson and said he may abandon his campaign to abolish the British FIFA vice-presidency until his four-year term is over. Warner said: "Geoff is the one man for whom I may temper my enthusiasm for changing the FIFA statutes."

Last month, McBeth was axed by his own associations as FIFA vice-president as one member of football's world body claimed good had prevailed over evil.

At a meeting of the four Home Nations in Zurichthe outgoing SFA president, who is accused of racist remarks, was stripped of his post.

Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland decided to act before FIFA could take action against McBeth.

He had been nominated for the high-powered FIFA role but after he suggested African and Caribbean nations were tainted by corruption and greed, condemnation had been widespread.

Warner is in Chicago for today's CONCACF Gold Cup Final between United States and Mexico.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Re: England's 2018 World Cup hopes rest on Warner
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 12:24:30 PM »
England to try and woo Jack
By: Newsday

Tuesday, July 31 2007

ENGLAND’S World Cup bid ambassador Richard Caborn will try to woo two of FIFA’s more controversial figures in an effort to secure their support for the 2018 finals returning to Europe.

Caborn, who stepped down as sports minister last week, is to set up meetings with Trinidad and Tobago’s FIFA vice-president Jack Warner and his American sidekick Chuck Blazer, according to a report in the Belfast Telegraph.

Warner and Blazer are both on the FIFA executive committee that will make the crucial decision in November whether the World Cup should continue on a continental rotation basis or whether it should be opened up again for any country to bid.

Under a strict rotation basis, it would be the turn of the CONCACAF federation of north and central America and the Caribbean.

If Caborn can persuade Warner and Blazer to side with the Europeans, it would prove a huge advantage.

Even so, England would face strong opposition from Russia, while the Benelux countries (Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg) will submit a joint bid and Spain are also considering entering the race.

Meantime, Nigeria coach Ladan Bosso has apologised to referee Howard Webb for the negative comments he made about the Englishman.

Bosso accused the match official of showing racial bias during his team’s 4-0 defeat at the hands of Chile at the Under-20 World Cup in Canada last week.

FIFA subsequently referred the case to their disciplinary committee, but Bosso says the comments were made in the heat of the moment.

“After analysing my reaction I realised that it was inappropriate and I wrote a letter of apology to FIFA and the referee in particular,” said Bosso told BBC Sport.

“I understand the situation and I think the appropriate thing to do is to apologise. Immediately I got back to Nigeria, I wrote an apology letter and sent it to the Nigeria FA who then passed it on to FIFA.

“My comments were based on what I saw in the match and it was done in the heat of the moment,” he said.

Bosso, who is also the coach of Nigeria premier league side Wikki Tourists, is awaiting the response from FIFA.

Warner, the tournament’s organising committee chairman, said he has instructed the FIFA Disciplinary Committee to open a case against Bosso because of the allegations.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 02:14:25 PM »
They safe u see the pound trading at 13 to 1 u know how much money he could make on that deal
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 02:49:07 PM »
Rematch we want one ! No work permit hassles for TnT players . More tryout for TnT players . More scouting in TnT for players and assistance in football development .Then maybe we national crook will help out alyah .

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
FIFA v-p says England will lose 2018 bid
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 09:43:46 AM »
By Trevor Huggins

Thu Aug 9, 2007 4:24PM BST

LONDON (Reuters) - FIFA vice-president Jack Warner believes England is so unpopular as a footballing nation that its bid to host the 2018 World Cup finals is doomed.

In a BBC World Service interview to be broadcast on Saturday, Warner dismissed England's chances even if FIFA's rotation policy brings the finals to Europe in 11 years' time.

"If by chance, in 2018, the World Cup were to go to Europe, I'm quite sure, with the English luck as it is, they won't get it," Warner was quoted as saying in Port of Spain, Trinidad.

"It'll be Italy, Spain, or it might even be France. Nobody in Europe likes England.

"England - who invented the sport - has never had any impact on world football. England at no time has had the love and support of Europe. For Europe, England is an irritant."

Warner is president of CONCACAF, which runs the game in north and central America, along with the Caribbean - a zone which could produce its own bid for the 2018 finals.

The 2006 tournament was in Germany, 2010 will be held in South Africa and Brazil is expected to be the host nation in 2014. FIFA is currently reviewing its policy on rotation.

Aware that England has some support for a bid to host the World Cup for the first time since winning it in 1966, Warner said: "There are moves to give it to England. I must fight that.

"I really don't believe that we should just lay down and play dead to anyone who wants to take the World Cup from CONCACAF.

"I know in FIFA there are those persons who believe the rules should be changed to satisfy Europe but I tell you this today we shall fight it to the very end."

Warner's views contrast with those of Franz Beckenbauer, who like Warner is a member of FIFA's 24-strong executive committee, which decides the World Cup hosts.

Beckenbauer, a World Cup winner as a player and manager, and who headed the organising committee of the 2006 finals, said less than two weeks ago that England were the 2018 favourites and praised its Premier League and stadia.

The United States, Australia and China have all expressed interest in hosting the 2018 finals, while in Europe the three Benelux countries -- Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg -- have already announced a combined bid.

The final decision is due to be taken in 2012, shortly after London hosts the Olympic Games.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 09:45:48 AM by E-man »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA v-p says England will lose 2018 bid
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 09:48:32 AM »
By Trevor Huggins

Thu Aug 9, 2007 4:24PM BST

LONDON (Reuters) - FIFA vice-president Jack Warner believes England is so unpopular as a footballing nation that its bid to host the 2018 World Cup finals is doomed.
I ent kno, buh dis seems very inappropriate
He cyar do no bad acording to FIFA oui
Run ya Mout Jackula.....one day man, one day
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Jack Warner: England will lose 2018 World Cup host bid - CONCACAF boss
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 10:03:14 AM »
England will lose 2018 World Cup host bid - CONCACAF boss  
By Trevor Huggins

LONDON, Aug 9 (Reuters) - FIFA vice-president Jack Warner believes England is so unpopular as a footballing nation that its bid to host the 2018 World Cup finals is doomed.

In a BBC World Service interview to be broadcast on Saturday, Warner dismissed England's chances even if FIFA's rotation policy brings the finals to Europe in 11 years' time.

ADVERTISEMENT

"If by chance, in 2018, the World Cup were to go to Europe, I'm quite sure, with the English luck as it is, they won't get it," Warner was quoted as saying in Port of Spain, Trinidad.

"It'll be Italy, Spain, or it might even be France. Nobody in Europe likes England.

"England - who invented the sport - has never had any impact on world football. England at no time has had the love and support of Europe. For Europe, England is an irritant."

Warner is president of CONCACAF, which runs the game in north and central America, along with the Caribbean - a zone which could produce its own bid for the 2018 finals.

The 2006 tournament was in Germany, 2010 will be held in South Africa and Brazil is expected to be the host nation in 2014. FIFA is currently reviewing its policy on rotation.

Aware that England has some support for a bid to host the World Cup for the first time since winning it in 1966, Warner said: "There are moves to give it to England. I must fight that. "I really don't believe that we should just lay down and play dead to anyone who wants to take the World Cup from CONCACAF.

"I know in FIFA there are those persons who believe the rules should be changed to satisfy Europe but I tell you this today we shall fight it to the very end."

Warner's views contrast with those of Franz Beckenbauer, who like Warner is a member of FIFA's 24-strong executive committee, which decides the World Cup hosts.

Beckenbauer, a World Cup winner as a player and manager, and who headed the organising committee of the 2006 finals, said less than two weeks ago that England were the 2018 favourites and praised its Premier League and stadia.

The United States, Australia and China have all expressed interest in hosting the 2018 finals, while in Europe the three Benelux countries -- Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg -- have already announced a combined bid.

The final decision is due to be taken in 2012, shortly after London hosts the Olympic Games.

Warrior For Life !!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Jack does talk out he ras to much. He will get what he looking for.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
lets change his comments slightly

"If by chance, in 2018, the World Cup were to go to S America, I'm quite sure, with the Brazilian luck as it is, they won't get it,"

"It'll be Argentina, Uruguay, Chile or it might even be Columbia. Nobody in S america likes Brazil. "

" Brazil at no time has had the love and support of S America. For S America, Brazil is an irritant."

dam jack ass does he realise how offensive his remarks are and you want to know why we have trouble getting work permits
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
In case allyuh miss de article e-man posted some weeks ago......it supposed to be CONCACAF turn.....but england can get it if Jack gets sweet talked. This could either be him telling them he eh bargining.....or......letting them know up front that they need to come real good.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Trinione

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Warner: England will lose 2018 World Cup host bid - CONCACAF boss
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 10:37:56 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6939170.stm

Jack talks out of his a** again... he has got to be one of the biggest idiots of all time.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »
Whether or not Jack's viewpoint is justified is beside the point. There are ways of doing and saying things and Jack's comments have shown his appalling lack of tact and diplomacy.

Very embarrassing for T&T.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 10:40:20 AM »
Come to think of it, when's the last time a South American country has hosted the World Cup? If memory serves me right, Argentina was the last South American country to host it in 1978. Shouldn't it be South America's turn to host a World Cup?

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 10:51:22 AM »
Come to think of it, when's the last time a South American country has hosted the World Cup? If memory serves me right, Argentina was the last South American country to host it in 1978. Shouldn't it be South America's turn to host a World Cup?

It will be in 2014. The issue above is 2018 - which by the current rotation should go to North America, but there is the talk of scratching the rotation and letting England or Europe have it

Offline RedDevils

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 10:53:01 AM »
jack jus look for people to talk bout him and somebody in england to drop ah nice check in he pocket to get his support.
Glory, Glory MANUTD.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 10:59:38 AM »
the english planning to bun jack on saturday 4 dis 1.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A25706360

"comment by la_luz

posted Just Now

so far we have effigy burnings planned for saturday, 2pm, at wembley, emirates, stamford bridge, villa park, and celtic park. who else is with us? we haven't heard from old trafford yet... come on, show your support"
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 11:03:24 AM by Andre »

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 11:13:02 AM »
ah trying to understand y jack say that. sounds like it have some truth in it , but still man, how u go say ah thing like that. nah man ,somebody in england get jack vex
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 11:27:05 AM »
i feel he want to hook up chuck and have it in the US. i sure he go get a kickback for that if he still living by then.

Offline ballpiyong

• Full Warrior
  • Winning is not everything it is the only thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 11:33:33 AM »
Jack on he periods ah wah he jus disrespecting everybody these days!!!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 11:55:09 AM »
haha

He basically saying they won't have Concacaf's vote.  Might be some other stuff in there related to what he said before about taking away England's automatic VP spot or something so.

england   :flamethrower:    :rotfl:

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 12:11:04 PM »
Look dey start a petition to fire Jack..

LOL

http://www.gopetition.com/online/13744.html

If they edit the text as follows I will sign :

"We the undersigned call on FIFA to force its Vice President Jack Warner to resign
from his position due to recent comments concerning the England 2018 World
Cup bid and the 2006 scandal in which he was involved and his disgraceful treatment of the Soca Warriors. "

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 12:28:39 PM »
In case allyuh miss de article e-man posted some weeks ago......it supposed to be CONCACAF turn.....but england can get it if Jack gets sweet talked. This could either be him telling them he eh bargining.....or......letting them know up front that they need to come real good.

I interpreted it as Jack setting himself up for a payday, that's about it.

Offline RedDevils

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 12:35:34 PM »

exactly, if he could get it to come in concacaf region he go make ah shit load of money. ur think de scam he pull for last worldcup with he travel agency was something, this one will set up he great great grandkids.
Glory, Glory MANUTD.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 01:02:52 PM »
Yeah, apart from whatever Jack Warner's supposed ulterior motives are, if the World Cup is rightfully scheduled to be held within the CONCACAF region, then it should be.

I find England extra bold to try and bid for it.

US hosted in '94 so I think Mexico should get it.

Who say Road Trip!!  :D
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 01:04:12 PM »
Jack Warner boy.....

you sound immature classless and very ignorant

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
WARNER'S WORDS 'DISAPPOINT' FA
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 01:06:23 PM »
WARNER'S WORDS 'DISAPPOINT' FA
By Martyn Ziegler, PA Chief Sports Reporter (sportinglife.com)

The Football Association have reacted with "shock and disappointment" after FIFA vice-president Jack Warner launched an attack on England's chances of hosting the 2018 World Cup.

Warner, president of the CONCACAF federation which represents north and central America and the Caribbean, believes the 2018 finals should be held in one of his member countries.

Warner said in an interview with BBC World Service that he will "fight to the very end" to stop FIFA changing the rotation rules and allowing Europe to host the World Cup in 11 years' time.

He also claimed England has no support in Europe, is an "irritant" to other European countries and has had "no impact in world football".

The FA have written to Warner regarding the comments.

FA chairman Geoff Thompson, who is also a FIFA and UEFA vice-president, said: "I have written to Jack Warner to clarify the accuracy of the quotes and request his views and an explanation as to why he made them if they are accurate.

"Understandably, we were shocked and disappointed to read the views attributed to Mr Warner, with whom we have enjoyed a very good relationship.

"Until we have all the facts in front of us at the FA, we are both unwilling and unable to pass any comment regarding these potentially explosive remarks.

"However, regarding the FIFA World Cup 2018, the FA, with the full support of the British Government, has already indicated that should FIFA award the World Cup to Europe in 2018, we will give serious consideration to making such a bid."

Warner claimed that England are unlikely to win the race to be hosts.

He said: "If by chance, in 2018, the World Cup were to go to Europe, I'm quite sure, with the English luck as it is, they won't get it.

"It'll be Italy, Spain, or it might even be France. Nobody in Europe likes England. England - who invented the sport - has never had any impact on World Football. England at no time has had the love and support of Europe. For Europe, England is an irritant.

"There are moves to give it to England. I must fight that. I really don't believe that we should just lay down and play dead to anyone who wants to take the World Cup from CONCACAF.

Richard Caborn, Prime Minister Gordon Brown's World Cup ambassador, said Warner is clearly trying secure the 2018 finals for his federation.

Caborn said: "I think it is very unfortunate what Jack Warner is saying but I can understand that he is fighting his corner as president of CONCACAF.

"He is not speaking on behalf of FIFA, who will decide later this year whether the continue with rotation.

"What's pleasing is that two other executive committee members are committed to Europe.

"UEFA president Michel Platini, who is also a FIFA vice-president, has come out very clearly to say that he will be fighting for it to come to a European country.

"Franz Beckenbauer, who is also a FIFA executive member, is not just supportive of it coming to Europe but to England in 2018."

Caborn also said the Football Association could not be accused of having no impact in world football.

He added: "To attack the FA in this way is unfortunate.

"They are running many educational programmes around the world and for the last seven years have run three major football workshops in the West Indies."

Warner also spoke about Manchester United's recent signing of a nine-year-old Australian, who the club say had recently moved to England.

He added: "It's obscene and most absurd. And we have to fight that and put laws in place to prevent those things.

"That is almost a kind of football slavery...and we have to understand that slavery by any form is slavery."

Warner, from Trinidad and Tobago, believes the colour of his skin would prevent him from succeeding FIFA president Sepp Blatter.

"You have black footballers on the field of play. In administration you have whites. I have seen this for 25 years.

"But I haven't given up. I haven't thrown my hands up in the air. I am there to fight it and to show that we as black people are equally as competent as the white guys."

"It's all good to have a banner to say: 'Say No To Racism'. Once a year a banner on a field of play can't prevent racism. It has to be an on-going process. I don't think FIFA is ready for a black president yet."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-23407779-details/Caborn+hits+back+in+England+World+Cup+row/article.do

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 01:24:54 PM by E-man »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 01:11:59 PM »

exactly, if he could get it to come in concacaf region he go make ah shit load of money. ur think de scam he pull for last worldcup with he travel agency was something, this one will set up he great great grandkids.

I have to give you credit fuh saying it first...after posting it ah see where yuh shared the same sentiments.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 01:14:18 PM »
Yeah, apart from whatever Jack Warner's supposed ulterior motives are, if the World Cup is rightfully scheduled to be held within the CONCACAF region, then it should be.

Why is England "extra bold"?  If anything fault FIFA, is them opening up de thing to all the ole talk...they should never even have entertained the speculation that any region other than CONCACAF would be hosting the 2018 Cup.  Once the talk of Europe started then England like any other Euro country would only be doing the wise thing to try and get it.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 01:24:26 PM »
somebody go try and shoot jack soon...he may be going senile and he may be the most hated man in TT

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 01:27:27 PM »

Why is England "extra bold"?  If anything fault FIFA, is them opening up de thing to all the ole talk...they should never even have entertained the speculation that any region other than CONCACAF would be hosting the 2018 Cup.  Once the talk of Europe started then England like any other Euro country would only be doing the wise thing to try and get it.

Uh huh, ok. Either way, whoever fault it is, they extra bold and I really don't mind Jack talking baout it, or the manner in which the chooses to do it.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

1]; } ?>