March 28, 2024, 02:06:38 PM

Poll

Should the West Indies go on the tour to Zimbabwe given the current climate?

WIPA - NO to Zimbabwe tour
2 (40%)
WICB - YES to Zimbabwe tour
3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: WIPA vs. WICB on Zimbabwe Tour - who is right?  (Read 2477 times)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
WIPA vs. WICB on Zimbabwe Tour - who is right?
« on: June 26, 2007, 09:42:58 PM »

I have only briefly looked at the news about this but it is of great significance if West Indies decide to withdraw from a tour of Zimbabwe a la England.

Was there discussion about it or did both sides just throw their steadfast opinions at each other?

This is bigger than cricket and I will be interested to see the details about this so post any relevant articles/opinions/facts.

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WIPA vs. WICB on Zimbabwe Tour - who is right?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 02:42:40 AM »
We all know none of the Test playing nations want to play in Zimbabwe because of the political issues involved. Its as simple as that. Their cricket team is so weak now because of the politics it a disgrace (even more than the WICBs runnings) that the ICC have not done anything about it. Every test playing nation will try to pull out of a tour to Zimbabwe if they can find a way. However a lot of politics is involved, i.e. some countries might need a vote from Zimbabwe so will just play there for that vote.

Since West Indies do not need Zimbabwe's vote any time in the near future given we have hosted the World Cup and do not have a candidate to run for ICC presidency it is common sense that West Indies should pull out of the tour.

However the only 2 ways i think there are to pull out of a tour to Zimbabwe without having to pay compensation is to get a block from the Government, or to have evidence that it is unsafe for players to play in Zimbabwe.

Basically the WICB cannot afford to pull out without having one of the above two reasons (i assume the WICB have not even considered doing this anyway) and in any case do not seem to really care about the players anyway so will be happy to send any squad to Zimbabwe.

However the WIPA have the players best interests and the players obviously do not want to go (who would?) so the WIPA have to find a way to act in the players best interests. It is unlikely that every government in each of the individual countries in the West Indies will come together and agree to block the tour so the WIPA only have one other option. They had to come up with some sort of evidence to say it is not safe for the players to go which i believe they have done. I commend the WIPA for their work.

I understand that the WICB cannot afford to just pull out of the Zimbabwe tour for financial reasons but why are the WICB are trying to sabotage the WIPA plans to get the tour called off. As far as i understand if there are player safety issues then no compensation has to be paid? It appears the WICB are just trying to create more rifts and are trying to embarass the players but everyone can now see through it and the WICB now have nowhere to hide. The WICB has been exposed for what they are not just in this issue but in other issues that have occured this week and previously and no doubt will be in the future.

To answer the question- the WIPA are totally correct to do what they are doing. With regard to the WICB, because i am not 100% sure about the compensation issue i cannot say 100% whether the WICB are right or wrong at this moment but you know what i believe.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 03:27:02 AM by Remie »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 09:37:53 AM »
We all know none of the Test playing nations want to play in Zimbabwe because of the political issues involved. Its as simple as that. Their cricket team is so weak now because of the politics it a disgrace (even more than the WICBs runnings) that the ICC have not done anything about it. Every test playing nation will try to pull out of a tour to Zimbabwe if they can find a way. However a lot of politics is involved, i.e. some countries might need a vote from Zimbabwe so will just play there for that vote.

Since West Indies do not need Zimbabwe's vote any time in the near future given we have hosted the World Cup and do not have a candidate to run for ICC presidency it is common sense that West Indies should pull out of the tour.

However the only 2 ways i think there are to pull out of a tour to Zimbabwe without having to pay compensation is to get a block from the Government, or to have evidence that it is unsafe for players to play in Zimbabwe.

Basically the WICB cannot afford to pull out without having one of the above two reasons (i assume the WICB have not even considered doing this anyway) and in any case do not seem to really care about the players anyway so will be happy to send any squad to Zimbabwe.

However the WIPA have the players best interests and the players obviously do not want to go (who would?) so the WIPA have to find a way to act in the players best interests. It is unlikely that every government in each of the individual countries in the West Indies will come together and agree to block the tour so the WIPA only have one other option. They had to come up with some sort of evidence to say it is not safe for the players to go which i believe they have done. I commend the WIPA for their work.

I understand that the WICB cannot afford to just pull out of the Zimbabwe tour for financial reasons but why are the WICB are trying to sabotage the WIPA plans to get the tour called off. As far as i understand if there are player safety issues then no compensation has to be paid? It appears the WICB are just trying to create more rifts and are trying to embarass the players but everyone can now see through it and the WICB now have nowhere to hide. The WICB has been exposed for what they are not just in this issue but in other issues that have occured this week and previously and no doubt will be in the future.

To answer the question- the WIPA are totally correct to do what they are doing. With regard to the WICB, because i am not 100% sure about the compensation issue i cannot say 100% whether the WICB are right or wrong at this moment but you know what i believe.

remie, i've seen in the news that the player safety concern has been raised - unfortunately i cannot recall who raised the issue (wipa or wicb).

david moore cited this upcoming tour as the one where he wanted to use spinners. funny how that work eh - (steups).

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 12:41:05 PM »

remie, i've seen in the news that the player safety concern has been raised - unfortunately i cannot recall who raised the issue (wipa or wicb).

david moore cited this upcoming tour as the one where he wanted to use spinners. funny how that work eh - (steups).
Yep, it was the WIPA who raised the issue on safety because they are trying to get the tour cancelled. The WICB are saying that it is safe for the players because they want the tour to go ahead even it means playing 11 amateurs from the West Indies- because Ganga, Joseph and Ryan Hinds have turned down the captaincy and a lot of other players will not tour.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 09:47:16 PM »
Without even thinkin bout Mugabe. In cricketing terms what benefit it have for we A  team to go to Zimbabwe? To show that if them beat we the players should pick up golf?

What can we learn from that tour?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 10:53:15 PM »

Windies ‘A’ team tour called off
Trinidad Guardian
Thursday 28th June, 2007
BY VINODE MAMCHAN

THE WEST INDIES ‘A’ team tour of Zimbabwe has been finally called off by the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB).

After weeks of battle between the WICB and the West Indies Players Association over the tour, the board has finally agreed to call off the tour and is expected to make a public announcement soon.

It is understood that after Caricom Heads of Government stated that they were not in support of the tour, the board could not find players who were willing to tour and hence decided on the move.

The WICB had gotten assurances from the Zimbabwe Cricket Board and the government of Zimbabwe that it was safe for the players to tour the politically volatile country.

The WICB also stated that on June 5 they received an okay from Secretary General of Caricom Dr Edward Green that it was safe for the players to tour.

However, earlier this week, Grenadian prime minister Dr Keith Mitchell, who is chairman of the Caricom-appointed sub-committee on cricket stated that they were not in agreement of the team travelling.

Mitchell was quoted as saying that the young players needed to be nurtured in a caring environment and this was not present in Zimbabwe. He called on the WICB to arrange a tour with another country to fill the breech.

WIPA president Dinanath Ramnarine also investigated the situation across in Zimbabwe and said his association was not in support of the team travelling there.

Ramnarine said that top ranking public officials in Zimbabwe had advised him against agreeing with the board to send a team to Zimbabwe.

Original choice of captain Sylvester Joseph also told the board that he was not touring and they handed to captaincy to Daren Ganga who had led the senior team in England. Ganga also turned down the offer.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 11:02:31 PM »

I voted that they should go....more based on who should be making the call rather than details I hadn't read yet.  Interesting government officials have such a big say in this and they disagreeing with each other(well that not surprising).  Zimbabwe really hadda be in a mess if we and all blanking them.  Wonder if people still arguing is media propaganda distorting the situation?

The players are definitely strong....look how the captaincy get hand all the way down the line and nobody take it....and they can't find players to go.  That is the sign of a very strong organization....with that comes responsibility so I hope they keep that in mind....doing everything right so far as far as I can tell.  Just wasn't sure about this tour but I guess they were right on this one too   :beermug:   The WICB and cricket will benefit from WIPA and the fact that this topic came under scrutiny shows that.

Wonder what FPATT and TTFF relationship going to be like...

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 03:00:25 AM »
Yet another victory for the WIPA in a dispute with the WICB.

It is great news that this tour has been cancelled. Our cricket would not benefit anyway putting aside the political issues.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 03:18:40 AM by Remie »

TrinInfinite

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 12:38:07 PM »
i think we should have toured zimbabwe, players like jaggy and barath would have got some valuable experience which would have benefitted us in the long run..

God is de BOSS....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 09:09:30 PM »
i didn't know that Jaggs and Bharath was selected? As far as I hear is the ICC who lose the ball on Zim y we not goin. Who does take on Mitchell and Caricom.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 08:53:58 AM »
i think we should have toured zimbabwe, players like jaggy and barath would have got some valuable experience which would have benefitted us in the long run..

God is de BOSS....

Jaggy and Barath would get more valuable experience playing beach cricket in Trinidad than playing the current Zimbabwe side.

1]; } ?>