April 19, 2024, 08:29:08 PM

Author Topic: Has there ever been a more steep sporting decline?  (Read 1793 times)

Offline RRamdin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Has there ever been a more steep sporting decline?
« on: June 27, 2007, 08:03:47 AM »
I've been thinking if the decline we have experienced and are still experiencing is the worst ever in sporting history. Think about it- from arguably the best test team we will ever see to arguably the worst test playing nation in the world. All in a matter of 12 years, when we lost our crown to Australia. And the decline hasn't finished yet I feel.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Has there ever been a more steep sporting decline?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 08:39:33 AM »
I think decline started in the early nineties, ever since Graham Gooch's Englishmen toured the West Indies in 1990. That team gave West Indies a run for their money. Also, I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but the West Indies have not won a test series in England for almost nineteen years, the last series win coming in 1988. That statistic in itself is quite significant.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 05:55:12 PM »
doh frighten. if you look at the world of football, there are more than a few clubs that have won national and international honours that doing nothing now. look at what happened with napoli, or nottingham forest. it's early to tell what a renaissance for the west indies team would look like. but there's no reason to suggest it won't happen.

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 04:40:01 AM »
I must agree with RRamdin. This is one of the worst declines ever. It has even got to the point where i feel the administrators are purposely trying to make the players look bad and leave them undeprepared for matches to embarass the players to take the spotlight away from them. Although the administrators stupid games are not working and we and the media will not take the spotlight of the administrartors we are still in a situation where in some games i dont believe certain members along the hierachy West Indies cricket want the team to perform. The decline will not finish until the current administrators go and competent ones are put in place.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 07:19:30 AM by Remie »

Offline RRamdin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 05:23:40 PM »
Just to respond to ribbit, yes these clubs too have experienced declines in recent years, but none of the clubs you mention ever dominated football like the West Indies did for an extended period of time. West Indies did it for almost 15 years where as the clubs you speak of only really had flashes of success, not what I would call domination.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 08:16:14 PM »
Ever since the English stopped the WI players from playing the the county league, the WI started to decline.I think that is the main reason.  We need a viable pro-league. We must stop depending on England to save our tails.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 08:23:05 PM »
Ever since the English stopped the WI players from playing the the county league, the WI started to decline.I think that is the main reason.  We need a viable pro-league. We must stop depending on England to save our tails.

1]; } ?>