April 16, 2024, 03:18:27 PM

Author Topic: 20/20 Cricket is Nothing Special...  (Read 2529 times)

TrinInfinite

20/20 Cricket is Nothing Special...
« on: June 28, 2007, 09:33:55 PM »
This game was solely developed by england and the ICC to penetrate the north american market and bring revenue into world cricket. Yes it is exciting cricket but it doesnt show the mettle, the calibre of a team. The skill and intelligence is in Test cricket and to a lesser extent ODIs. In saying that it is nice to see West Indies do well but it is not something to get excited about because this form of the game holds no weight when it comes to class and dominance of a cricketing nation.

I hope fans minds dont stray away from the real deal, Test cricket...

God is de BOSS....

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 20/20 Cricket is Nothing Special...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 11:03:24 PM »
i'm sure the same thing was said when the 50 overs game was introduced.........i does follow all but i sure the purists does cringe when dey see the kinda shots being played
I have friends who can't understand why one match should take 5 days and consider test cricket boring  but they totally into the 20/20 matches

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 02:17:19 AM »
I love 20/20, but i take it for what it is. The real form of cricket is test cricket but i still love to watch a game of 20/20.

In the bowling department the skills used in 50 over cricket still apply- you have to bowl yorkers, give no width and chance the pace. When batting there is still room for good cricket shots as Devon Smith showed. I love 20/20 because it is a nice dessert to follow the starter of ODIs and the main course of test cricket.

I dont think anyone sane will forget that our test cricket is a total shambles just because we won a 20/20 game. But it is nice to see us being potentially good at a tournament which there will be an international world cup with ICC status on it.

Offline RRamdin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 07:24:43 AM »
I think all forms of cricket should be taken seriously. It is international cricket, you are playing at the highest level you should want to win no matter what the format. Of course Test cricket is still THE game; how you are viewed as a cricketing nation is dependent on your performances in test matches, but in the same way you should treat 50 over cricket and 20 over cricket equally seriously-try and dominate all, that is what the team of 80's did and that is what the Aussies are doing now.

Offline RRamdin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 07:29:26 AM »
Plus also whether its Twenty20, 50 overs or Test cricket you still have to do in essence the same things to win, maybe with a bit of variation. Bat well, play shots post a good total, then bowl good lines and lengths to either restrict or bowl the opposition out. Also you must field well aswell. The difference between doing this in test cricket and One day cricket is that you must be able in test cricket to do these skills well over a long period of time. Take the last test series; for the odd session we played some excellent test cricket, the rest of the time it was an absolute shambles. In one day cricket you can replicate a good session of test cricket and win the game. In test cricket howver to win, you must perform well for 90% of those sessions.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 07:56:43 AM »
Class and dominance...ok then
Purists are funny.

Here's an article by the BBC.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/eastmidlands/series3/cricket_countycricket_sport.shtml

From the Article:

TWENTY/20 CRICKET - THE FACTS

What is 20/20 cricket?
  • A punchier game designed to attract new fans and fit in better with TV schedules
  • 20/20 games kick off at 5pm to attract more fans
  • The game consists of 20 overs
  • Bowlers are allotted four overs each
  • Marketed as an ideal summer evening out for children, families and office parties

More fans, more interest, bigger talent pool, better players, better cricket.
The point is to grow the sport, not be tied down by tradition.

If you don't like it, then don't watch. There's room for all of it. I am just as proud when the Windies wins a 20/20 game as when they win a test match, and if there was international windball beach cricket. I'd be proud if the Windies won that too.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

TrinInfinite

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 12:38:51 PM »
Class and dominance...ok then
Purists are funny.

Here's an article by the BBC.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/eastmidlands/series3/cricket_countycricket_sport.shtml

From the Article:

TWENTY/20 CRICKET - THE FACTS

What is 20/20 cricket?
  • A punchier game designed to attract new fans and fit in better with TV schedules
  • 20/20 games kick off at 5pm to attract more fans
  • The game consists of 20 overs
  • Bowlers are allotted four overs each
  • Marketed as an ideal summer evening out for children, families and office parties

More fans, more interest, bigger talent pool, better players, better cricket.
The point is to grow the sport, not be tied down by tradition.

If you don't like it, then don't watch. There's room for all of it. I am just as proud when the Windies wins a 20/20 game as when they win a test match, and if there was international windball beach cricket. I'd be proud if the Windies won that too.

i see your point, i am also proud if they win other forms of the game, but i cant detract from the real deal, which is test cricket and the foundation we must lay once more to take us to the top.. 20/20 wont do it... once you are number one on the world at test cricket, you could play any form of the game, ask australia, dey will attest..

God is de BOSS....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 10:11:39 PM »
20 20 is a slug fest.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 06:22:29 PM »
hopefully it will grow - if 20/20 takes off, then it can underwrite test cricket financially.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 09:26:11 AM »
test cricket supports mediocrity.  you can come in to bat totally out of form and block and play down and leave the ball outside the wicket for a whole day.
In 20-20 you have to be on form from the word go

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 11:19:56 AM »
test cricket supports mediocrity.  you can come in to bat totally out of form and block and play down and leave the ball outside the wicket for a whole day.
In 20-20 you have to be on form from the word go

I have to disagree with this one. Even if one was to come in and block all day, it still takes a lot more concentration than to slug away for 20 overs. Which has been the problem for W.I in the past few years, they can't concentrate for more than 50 overs or  1 or 2 sessions in a test. Test cricket is still the real deal, because if you could keep focus for 90 overs, what the hell is 50 or 20 overs. Sadly it doesn't work inthe reverse.Hence we reason why we only seem to have success at the shorter versions of the game, because half the team seem to be suffering from ADD. Also you don't have to be in form to score no runs in 20/20. The chances of anyone person facing more than  60 balls is very low, so therefore it ain't going to take to big set ah skill to last that long.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 02:19:24 PM »
thank you aviator
 ;D I agree with that. i am one of those that can enjoy watching a test match...at least used to when I could handle the windies

1]; } ?>