April 26, 2024, 08:36:07 PM

Author Topic: Howard University names new soccer coach  (Read 6891 times)

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Howard University names new soccer coach
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:35:43 AM »

http://www.howard-bison.com/sports/msoc/2006/News/Okoh_Named_Men-s_Soccer_Coach

Howard Names Men's Soccer Coach

Howard University has named Joseph E. Okoh as its new head men's soccer coach.  Okoh brings a wealth of experience to the Bison program.  He comes to Howard from Shepherd University in West Virginia where he compiled an impressive record that includes a 38-13-9 slate the past three years.  Along the way, Okoh became Shepherd's all-time "winningest" coach.

"I am very thankful for the opportunity to coach the men's soccer program at Howard University," said Okoh.  "There is a great tradition here and the expectations are high among alumni, students and followers of the program.  I am looking forward to the challenge of having a first class program that is highly competitive on the field while also maintaining a high level of success in the classroom."

Under Okoh's guidance, the Shepherd program ranked in the Division II Top 25.  In 2005, Okoh was honored as the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Coach of the Year.

"We greatly appreciate all that Coach Okoh has done to build Shepherd University men's soccer into a competitive program at the conference, regional and national levels," said Shepherd University Assistant Director of Athletics Ken Tyler.  "His success at Shepherd is evident in this opportunity at Division I Howard University and we wish him all the best."

As impressive as Okoh's record has been on the field, it is equally impressive in the classroom where he maintained a 95 percent graduation rate and several of his players received Academic All American honors.

"That was one of the main factors in our decision to hire him," said Howard Director of Athletics Dwight Datcher.  "He has shown the ability to recruit and graduate student athletes while at the same time being able to experience a high degree of success on the field."

Howard University won national championships in 1971 and 1974 and finished runner-up in 1988, but has failed to reach double digit wins the past few years.

"I often hear about the glory days of soccer at Howard," said Datcher.  "We feel that Okoh has what it takes to get Howard back to those days.  His teams have consistently qualified for the NCAAs during his tenure."

Okoh played collegiately at Metropolitan State College where he was conference Rookie of the Year and a three-time All Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference first team selection.  He also played professionally in both the indoor and outdoor leagues.  Okoh's son Michael is a member of the Bison soccer team.  Okoh is a 1991 graduate of Metropolitan State College with BS degree in Geographic Information Systems.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Howard University names new soccer coach
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 08:48:40 AM »
I like his record at Sheperd...but that's a facking D-II school.  I mean, wins is wins...but overall I'm not impressed.

So what he graduate 95% of his athletes...what was the graduation rate under the old coaching staff?  If it represents a significant improvement then fine.  If not then big deal...that's what they (coaches) are supposed to be doing anyways.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 09:32:07 AM »
Don't be seduced by labels bredrin. There are several D-II programs that are superior to D-I programs.

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 09:37:24 AM »
He cyah be a good coach if he sent his son Howard before he got the wuk. Men from intramurals used to walk on that team.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 09:41:10 AM »
Don't be seduced by labels bredrin. There are several D-II programs that are superior to D-I programs.

Indeed the best D-II schools might be better than some of the worst D-I schools...same way arguably that this past season's Sunderland squad may be better than the recently relegated Watford FC.  But that's not the point.

The point is that all of those wins (and losses) came against D-II opponents and across the board D-II schools are less competitive than D-I schools.

So trust, it's not at all about 'just' labels.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 09:43:03 AM »
He cyah be a good coach if he sent his son Howard before he got the wuk. Men from intramurals used to walk on that team.

man read what yuh jes wrote and honestly tell meh if it make sense.....you and de man is fren? yuh ever see him coach?

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 09:59:39 AM »
Some men ras.....just feel they know it all....is their explanation that does weaken me  :devil:  :rotfl:

JOKERS!!!  :rotfl:

kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 10:37:33 AM »

Indeed the best D-II schools might be better than some of the worst D-I schools...same way arguably that this past season's Sunderland squad may be better than the recently relegated Watford FC. But that's not the point.

The point is that all of those wins (and losses) came against D-II opponents and across the board D-II schools are less competitive than D-I schools.

So trust, it's not at all about 'just' labels.

Err ... no!

Incredulous as it may seem, in rendering my assertion I did consider the OBVIOUS (that as you put it "ndeed the best D-II schools might be better than some of the worst D-I schools"). And, my assertion in no way concerns Shepherd University or Joe Okoh specifically.

There are solid D-I programs that on any day will find solid D-II programs to be quite worthy and engaging opposition! My friend, there is some distance between conjecture and familiarity ...

How players end up on a D-I versus a D-II squad is a function of many different factors, factors that are far removed from the ambit of a Sunderland or a Watford so I won't entertain the unfortunate comparison. However, I am going to challenge your sensibilities further by suggesting that there exist D-III programs that can ball with solid D-I/D-II programs.

There is an institution in the US - Lindsey Wilson - that labours in the NAIA. Imagine that ... not the NCAA! LW has a storied soccer history and wouldn't you know it ... the reliable word is that they destroyed dissected beat a US National Team squad in a practice match.

Offline doh_stick

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 10:42:44 AM »
I wish the new coach all the best. Te program has needed a new coach for a long time now. Tucker (ex-coach) lost his step a long time ago.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 11:35:20 AM »

Err ... no!

Incredulous as it may seem, in rendering my assertion I did consider the OBVIOUS (that as you put it "ndeed the best D-II schools might be better than some of the worst D-I schools"). And, my assertion in no way concerns Shepherd University or Joe Okoh specifically.

There are solid D-I programs that on any day will find solid D-II programs to be quite worthy and engaging opposition! My friend, there is some distance between conjecture and familiarity ...

How players end up on a D-I versus a D-II squad is a function of many different factors, factors that are far removed from the ambit of a Sunderland or a Watford so I won't entertain the unfortunate comparison. However, I am going to challenge your sensibilities further by suggesting that there exist D-III programs that can ball with solid D-I/D-II programs.

There is an institution in the US - Lindsey Wilson - that labours in the NAIA. Imagine that ... not the NCAA! LW has a storied soccer history and wouldn't you know it ... the reliable word is that they destroyed dissected beat a US National Team squad in a practice match.

This is a good good one- difficult to prove either way because schools rarely compete across divisions except in pre season, but based on what I've heard from those who claim to be knowledgeable of the collegiate game in the U.S., I might tend to agree with a-seeker- Apparently the gap between D1 programs and D2 programs (in soccer/football) is very small, and more perceived than anything else............

(my thought is that there are quite a few D2 programs that can rival the best D1 programs, but there is proabably more parity in quality across the spectrum of D1 schools- as alluded to earlier Bakes)

If you go beyond recruiting and ask the 2 following questions:

Do most American players who graduate up the ranks to the Nat'l level, graduate from D1 programs?

Do most players picked in the early rounds of the MLS draft come from D1 programs?

I honestly don't know the answer to those questions, but with my degree of ignorance I always assumed that the answers to both are "yes".....if that is the case, and D2 programs pretty much rival D1 programs shoulder to shoulder, then:

There must be a glut of wasted/unfulfiled talent coming out of the D2 programs-

D2 programs significantly consist of  internationals who ply their post collegiate trade outside of the U.S.

D2 coaches are superior to D1 coaches and hence can produce teams of similar ability with less individual talent at their disposal

D1 schools are on average more competitive than D2 schools- Bakes original statement.

Can you speak to that a-seeker?   
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 11:39:16 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 12:04:01 PM »

Err ... no!

This is a good good one- difficult to prove either way because schools rarely compete across divisions except in pre season, but based on what I've heard from those who claim to be knowledgeable of the collegiate game in the U.S., I might tend to agree with a-seeker- Apparently the gap between D1 programs and D2 programs (in soccer/football) is very small, and more perceived than anything else............

(my thought is that there are quite a few D2 programs that can rival the best D1 programs, but there is proabably more parity in quality across the spectrum of D1 schools- as alluded to earlier Bakes)

If you go beyond recruiting and ask the 2 following questions:

Do most American players who graduate up the ranks to the Nat'l level, graduate from D1 programs?

Do most players picked in the early rounds of the MLS draft come from D1 programs?

I honestly don't know the answer to those questions, but with my degree of ignorance I always assumed that the answers to both are "yes".....if that is the case, and D2 programs pretty much rival D1 programs shoulder to shoulder, then:

There must be a glut of wasted/unfulfiled talent coming out of the D2 programs-

D2 programs significantly consist of  internationals who ply their post collegiate trade outside of the U.S.

D2 coaches are superior to D1 coaches and hence can produce teams of similar ability with less individual talent at their disposal

D1 schools are on average more competitive than D2 schools- Bakes original statement.

Can you speak to that a-seeker?   

You good...I give up de argument yes dread.  I guess the NCAA doh know what they doing by having these divisions among their schools...divisions which are not arbitrary mind you, but ratified by the member coaches.

When you look at the top talent coming into College, the vast majority, both domestic and foreign go to D-I programs...

When you look at the MLS draft picks...majority D-I programs....no wonder MLS so shitty still...they only drafting inferior players and sending all the good players abroad and to the A-League adn MISL.

maybe D-II just littered with world class, overachieving coaches like you say.

...I'd put up more of an argument, but I really ent care that much.  I remain unimpressed by dude's record at Shepherd U.  More power to him still.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 01:00:12 PM »
Saying that D II is less competitive is not a correct statement. If it is then we can say D I is crap too, which most times it is. It's like watching track and field with a ball thrown in.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »
kicker, in one contribution you're proving to be more objective than the several of the bake n' shark consumer who appears hellbent on misapplying shake n' bake responses in wrapping his mind around this not so difficult issue ...

Myth #1:
BnS, you may be trapped in a bygone era leading you to pay excessive credence to quality of players based on the presence/absence of foreign players on a team's roster. So let me dispel that by drawing your attention to Sacha Cirovski's team at Maryland (hard-pressed to name any foreigners) versus say Dowling College (current D-II champions) which features a host of foreign players.

As the link I'll share with you points out 'visibility is an issue' for D-II players ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/13/AR2007021301139.html

Secondly, soccer is a team sport made competitive by match conditions. My assertion never rejected the individual quality of top players in D-I. My assertion is simply that there are several institutions across the spectrum whose team chemistry and composition can stand head and shoulders with, if not above, other institutions outside their division should the teams meet on the field. Further, there are many players in one division who could have played above/below where they are currently.

kicker, you are quite right: Teams rarely do compete against each other outside of pre-season, but there is no NCAA sanction precluding teams from doing so. In fact, teams can place non-NCAA teams on their schedule ... 

You good...I give up de argument yes dread.  I guess the NCAA doh know what they doing by having these divisions among their schools...divisions which are not arbitrary mind you, but ratified by the member coaches.

I hate to resort to wikipedia for authority but it is expedient at the moment. "Matches between the three divisions in non-revenue sports are often quite competitive; the difference in the level of competition between the two divisions is often considerably less in these sports than it is in football and men's or women's basketball".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_II#Interaction_with_other_divisions

While perusing please review the "Pressure to move up or down section" (as has been the present experience of USC-Upstate of say Kendall Reyes, the women's coach there ... a Trini)

Financial aid packages and academic standards are but two of the factors influencing the distortion in roster compositions and player quality. Recruiting means different things across these three environments.

I'll fill in the blanks as time permits.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 01:54:21 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 02:07:30 PM »
Here's one perspective that highlights the situation well:

http://www.kc-brass.com/Articles/Commentary_fr.htm

If you find an article about college soccer in the newspaper, it focuses on Division 1 schools like the University of Missouri, University of Kansas or Nebraska. If you read an article about men’s soccer you may read an article about Indiana, Creighton, or locally UMKC or in recent years, occasionally Rockhurst. You rarely see Park, Baker or other local NAIA schools covered unless they have a tragic accident or reach nationals. Even in publications like Soccer America, only rarely are schools other those playing in NCAA, Division I mentioned.

This lack of coverage stems from the ignorance of many sports reporters at major newspapers. They assume that soccer is like football and basketball; that there is a drop off in quality from Division I to Division II. This lack of knowledge is compounded with only Division I teams receiving ink, readers also tend to believe that the quality of soccer is lower outside of Division I ranks. Many transplants to America from Europe or South America believe that the division ranking in college corresponds to the divisions of professional soccer in Europe; that the worst first division teams are better than the best second division teams. Both ideas are wrong. The truth is that the best Second Division teams are every bit the equal, and as often as not beat, Division I teams.

The NCAA classifications of Division I, Division II and Division III have nothing to do with the quality of a soccer program. Rather the classifications reflect the schools commitment to the number of varsity sports that are offered. Division I schools must offer more varsity sorts to maintain Division I status than Division II schools. They also operate under different rules when it comes to player recruitment and play outside of school. Generally, Division II schools offer fewer athletic scholarships than Division I programs; however, if you examine each program you will find comparable levels of financial aid. At Division II schools it comes in the form of grants and non-athletic scholarships more frequently than at Division I programs.

The equality between top Division I and Division II programs is demonstrated every year when top Division II teams such as Seattle Pacific square off against Washington or Southern Connecticut meets Connecticut University. For example, two years ago Washington was ranked 4th among NCAA Division I schools and Seattle Pacific was ranked 8th among Division II programs, yet Seattle Pacific defeated Washington at Washington 1-0. Similar results occur every year.

NCAA Division III programs do tend to be less competitive than Division II and Division I programs, but this is more often a reflection of the fact that Division III schools have opted not offer any athletic scholarships. It would be a mistake to underestimate the top Division III programs, however. Division III colleges such as Wheaton, outside of Chicago, have produced many players who are now in the professional ranks.

NAIA programs match well against comparable NCAA schools. Top ranked NAIA schools such as Lindenwood, St. Gregory’s or John Brown, are the equal of most NCAA Division I or Division II schools. The NAIA programs may not be at the level of the very best soccer programs in the country, like Creighton or Indiana, but good NAIA schools are an equal match with most NCAA Division I programs.

If you want a comparison of the quality of Division I, Division II and NAIA programs, you can observe top schools from each category playing in Kansas City. The final game of the season for Division I UMKC is against Division II Rockhurst. Earlier you can watch Rockhurst play two NAIA schools: St. Mary and Park University.

Kansas City is also blessed with top talent playing at the Junior College level. Colleges such as State Fair in Sedalia, Johnson County, in Overland Park, and Cloud Count in Concordia, Kansas are ranked in the top fifteen in the country year after year. Players at these institutions travel to Arizona, Texas, and across the Midwest each season. They often have preseason scrimmages against top NAIA and NCAA programs; scrimmages that the Junior Colleges win a fair percentage of the time. These scrimmages not only allow the players valuable experience, they afford the coaches at the four year schools a chance to scout potential players.

As a gauge of the quality of local junior college programs compare the number of alumni from Johnson County Community College that have gone on to the pro ranks with those from area Division I teams. In the last ten years more players from Johnson County Community College have gone to the pros than from UMKC, Drury and Southwest Missouri State – combined – all quality NCAA Division 1 programs.

So the next time you hear a player, parent or coach brag about playing Division I, you will know that the boast is meaningless. What matters is not the category, but the quality of the program.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 02:21:28 PM »
good info  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 02:23:15 PM »
On any given day, a DII school can beat a DI school. This can happen more so in soccer. I don't see it happening in basketball or American football. Remember DI is large schools. DII is small school. There was a time when West Virginia Weslyan could have beaten any DI school at anytime. Good Luck to Mr. Okoh. I hope the administration give hime the support(financial) to win.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 02:32:22 PM »
I played at Wheeling Jesuit University (NCAA Division II) on a full ride for 4 years.  Our spring tradition was to beat up on West Virginia University (which is Division I) in an annual spring tournament.  Likewise as a nationally-ranked D-II program we were invited to a spring tournament at Penn State one year, and ended up embarrassing the host beating them 3 - 1 in the semi-final.  We were never invited back!

So doh get tie up with Division I and Division II.  As the man say in the article above, there is a significant drop off at Division III as they have no athletic scholarships.

Also, there is an age limit for Divison I (27 I believe).  Division II is have 30-year old veterans as Freshmen sometimes!  lol  

« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 09:33:48 AM by Jahyouth »

Offline rocoply

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 02:48:04 PM »
Hi, i'm a officially a new member but i keep up with this forum daily. It's funny how this discussion began with the appointment of Coach Okoh who i have met personally on a trial. To my understanding coach okoh was a friend of howard's assistant coach because they both were involved with a club which had players from both the howard team and shepherd university. At the time of my trial it was made known to me that the Shepherd team had beaten the then howard team in pre season games. While speaking to coach okoh he revealed that the both teams had potential and he believed that his team possesed the stronger players. I believe coach okoh will be a good addition to Howard University because there seemed to be a blacklisting of Trinidadian players at the school for some time. Of course Trinidadian players don't make or break a team but from what i saw of coach okoh his choice of players was strong.

On the other topic brought up by the members. I have recently been apart of both the NAIA and the NCAA Div II. I can personally say that when it comes to NAIA and NCAA there are some difinite differences. The NAIA teams don't splurge as much money into there programs as the schools are much smaller than in the NCAA. Also the NAIA has no problems with the ages of players. I played with a 29 year old freshman at my NAIA school. The top schools in the NAIA have alot more international players eg. Lindsey Wilson. That program can compete with any USA College team.

I transfered to a NCAA Div II school last year and for our preason we played against NAIA teams and NCAA Div I teams. Teams chose to stay within there own Div in the NCAA because it helps theam rack up points in ranking and tournanment births. The teams don't differ much in NCAA Div II compared to Div I. But the Div I schools are allowed a bigger purse for there programs mostly because the Div I schools are much bigger than the Div II schools. That's the main reason the Div I schools get the higher quality players ie because they can splurge on scholarship offers and the schools have more people and programs to offer.

It doesn't take away from the talent's in all the divisions, but its common for MLS coaches to look at the ranked schools for players. In my opinion the coaches choose players from these instuitions because the players have proven that they can work well within a organized team framework and because they are used to a winning atmosphere.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 05:12:29 PM »
Asylumseeker, Rocoply, Jahyouth, Elan....thanks for the valuable input.

Some people does just amaze me with their rational.....pure jokers I say....

Kingman

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 05:36:17 PM »
bakes usually when talking about european ball etc I could see that you talk with a the benifit of having watched a few games and study a few stats, but ...yuh ever see the espn commercial where the two dudes talking about " did you see kobe score 50 last night"...adn the third dude say - "oh yeah well how often you think  kobe's gonna score 50"...then the camera focus on a certain part of the 3rd dude.  This post kinda remind me of that.
if you ever took time to watch college soccer even a little bit you would have known better.
I wouldn't go into all the details of it but just 2 things I wanted to mention on that topic.
a) the pac 10 is ranked as one of the best (if not traditionally the best) soccer conferences in the us and whereas my alma mater Oregon State (robbie findley's old school) could ramp and keep a decent game with most other teams in the pac 10.  I don't think I ever remember them beating the Portland Pilots or that same Seattle-pacific  somebody mention in my time in Oregon.
b) whenever I look at the ncaa tournament just glancing on tv, I rarely ever see a "big name" school like Ohio state, Texas etc down in the final 4.  If you really think about it from a soccer perspective - what facilities etc would a "big school" have over a small school?  Is not like ucla going and hire Beenie to coach dey team so is definitely not about the "big name" coaches.
but I sure it have men who play for schools out here who could shed more light than me.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 06:16:13 PM »
kicker, in one contribution you're proving to be more objective than the several of the bake n' shark consumer who appears hellbent on misapplying shake n' bake responses in wrapping his mind around this not so difficult issue ...

Myth #1:
BnS, you may be trapped in a bygone era leading you to pay excessive credence to quality of players based on the presence/absence of foreign players on a team's roster. So let me dispel that by drawing your attention to Sacha Cirovski's team at Maryland (hard-pressed to name any foreigners) versus say Dowling College (current D-II champions) which features a host of foreign players.

As the link I'll share with you points out 'visibility is an issue' for D-II players ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/13/AR2007021301139.html

Secondly, soccer is a team sport made competitive by match conditions. My assertion never rejected the individual quality of top players in D-I. My assertion is simply that there are several institutions across the spectrum whose team chemistry and composition can stand head and shoulders with, if not above, other institutions outside their division should the teams meet on the field. Further, there are many players in one division who could have played above/below where they are currently.

kicker, you are quite right: Teams rarely do compete against each other outside of pre-season, but there is no NCAA sanction precluding teams from doing so. In fact, teams can place non-NCAA teams on their schedule ... 

You good...I give up de argument yes dread.  I guess the NCAA doh know what they doing by having these divisions among their schools...divisions which are not arbitrary mind you, but ratified by the member coaches.

I hate to resort to wikipedia for authority but it is expedient at the moment. "Matches between the three divisions in non-revenue sports are often quite competitive; the difference in the level of competition between the two divisions is often considerably less in these sports than it is in football and men's or women's basketball".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_II#Interaction_with_other_divisions

While perusing please review the "Pressure to move up or down section" (as has been the present experience of USC-Upstate of say Kendall Reyes, the women's coach there ... a Trini)

Financial aid packages and academic standards are but two of the factors influencing the distortion in roster compositions and player quality. Recruiting means different things across these three environments.

I'll fill in the blanks as time permits.

I really not into the boasting and bragging thing, and while I see you have included some very good tidbits here, I stand by my original statements, the gist of which is that across the board D-II is less competitive than D-I.  This isn't based on assumptions or perusing stats as Booty Killer insists, but based on my interactions with numerous NSCAA coaches in the US.  Part of what I do for the charity that myself and a couple fellow Alumns founded, is source scholastic opportunities for yutes from the caribbean, focusing on Track and Field and Football (Soccer) primarily...but soon to expand to Golf as well.  As part of that venture I've had to attend teh annual NSCAA conferences...the last one I attended being the 2006 conf. in Philadelphia. 

Interacting there with coaches, I'm able to gauge what recruitment strategies are taking shape often before they play out years later when players finally matriculate into college.  Many quality players, for several reasons...late bloomers, non-qualifying scores, age-restrictions, lack of exposure (as you've pointed out) etc.  So to be sure, there is talent at the D-II and under schools.

That said, the largest single advantage the D-I schools have is budgetary...bigger budgets mean more guaranteed scholarships.  It also means more money for travel, nutrition, training equipment etc.  The quality (again, across the board) at the D-I level is borne out by the numbers of D-I players who subsequently go on to be pros in competitive leagues, relative to their counterparts at the D-II level.  I don't have any stats for non-American professional footballers overseas...but just looking at the American players, look at the schools they represent.  Look again at MLS rosters and peruse the numbers of D-I  schools represented relative to the D-II schools.  Even the very information you post above concedes that there IS A COMPETITIVE DISPARITY among the levels.  You attempt to refute my statements by proving them?  Your very own Wikipedia source (which we should take with a grain of salt) states only that the competitive differences aren't that great...not that there isn't any competitive variance.  This only reinforces the point I made...that D-II on the whole is less competitive.  I don't know what could be clearer...unless the source is stating that D-II is more competitive.

the great thing about this website is that everybody's an authority...at least in their own minds.  As I said earlier...this isn't a debate I care that much about to get into no back and forth...often time I'll take up de ole talk to pass time at work or whatever, but now isn't one of those times.  I respect everyones experiences...so if a man like Jahyouth come say that Wheeling Jesuit routinely kick West Virginia's ass (WVU being a nobody when it comes to soccer, but that's for another day) I won't...can't dispute that.  The danger lies in taking our individual experiences and extrapolating it as fact across the board.  The broader the experience the more accurate the gauge...and while I won't make any claims relative to my own experience, I'm pretty comfortable that the objective measures I've used in makng my conclusion would stand up to challenge.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 06:24:22 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 06:23:06 PM »

Kingman

Hail up Kingman...this is about the third thread I post in that ah see yuh come wid de same vague references to "some people does..." and what not, if yuh have something to say dred just say it and end de man-tracing and throwing word thing...it's not becoming for a grown man.  I could cuss you in one thread and toast yuh  :beermug: in de next...

Is nutten personal so carrying beef go only make yuh arms tired...unburden yuh chest man.

easy

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 06:35:27 PM »
bakes usually when talking about european ball etc I could see that you talk with a the benifit of having watched a few games and study a few stats, but ...yuh ever see the espn commercial where the two dudes talking about " did you see kobe score 50 last night"...adn the third dude say - "oh yeah well how often you think  kobe's gonna score 50"...then the camera focus on a certain part of the 3rd dude.  This post kinda remind me of that.
if you ever took time to watch college soccer even a little bit you would have known better.
I wouldn't go into all the details of it but just 2 things I wanted to mention on that topic.
a) the pac 10 is ranked as one of the best (if not traditionally the best) soccer conferences in the us and whereas my alma mater Oregon State (robbie findley's old school) could ramp and keep a decent game with most other teams in the pac 10.  I don't think I ever remember them beating the Portland Pilots or that same Seattle-pacific  somebody mention in my time in Oregon.

For one thing, Oregon State is hardly a powerhouse in soccer so yuh might want to try another example.  For another there have been approximately 50 titles contested since the NCAA began offering a championship in D-I championship.  There have been 11 champions from West Coast schools...not just PAC-10...but WAC schools as well.  Of those eleven titles, 6 have been won by San Francisco and none recently.  UCLA has won 4...and reiging champs UCSB rounding out the West Coast representation among the championship teams.

So the argument that the PAC-10 is the best or among the best...is dubious.

b) whenever I look at the ncaa tournament just glancing on tv, I rarely ever see a "big name" school like Ohio state, Texas etc down in the final 4.  If you really think about it from a soccer perspective - what facilities etc would a "big school" have over a small school?  Is not like ucla going and hire Beenie to coach dey team so is definitely not about the "big name" coaches.
but I sure it have men who play for schools out here who could shed more light than me.

I'm not sure what your point is relative to the 'big name school'...but Maryland, UVA, Indiana....Connecticut, St. John's...all recent champions and all 'big name schools'.  So feel free to expound on that if you can.

As for the advantages enjoyed by the 'big name schools'....bigger budgets, touched on above.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 06:46:12 PM »

Kingman

Hail up Kingman...this is about the third thread I post in that ah see yuh come wid de same vague references to "some people does..." and what not, if yuh have something to say dred just say it and end de man-tracing and throwing word thing...it's not becoming for a grown man.  I could cuss you in one thread and toast yuh  :beermug: in de next...

Is nutten personal so carrying beef go only make yuh arms tired...unburden yuh chest man.

easy

You is a clown or something or what? If you ain't like what I post bite it and whatever fall in your garden plant it. What kind of pussyhole thing you talking about? steups!!!! And me aint carrying no beef.

Kingman

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 07:06:35 PM »

Kingman

easy

You is a clown or something or what? If you ain't like what I post bite it and whatever fall in your garden plant it. What kind of pussyhole thing you talking about? steups!!!! And me aint carrying no beef.

Kingman

Easy mi yute yuh tampon string showing...proper meds duz control dem kinda hormonal fluctuations these day...yuh eh sounding very...how yuh say it..."rational"?

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 07:14:30 PM »

Kingman

easy

Kingman

Easy mi yute yuh tampon string showing...proper meds duz control dem kinda hormonal fluctuations these day...yuh eh sounding very...how yuh say it..."rational"?

Strings showing ent? which part yuh located again? Or yes, under yuh woman.....no wonder why yuh have such a good view of the tampon string......bless up  :beermug:

kingman

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2007, 07:23:57 PM »

Strings showing ent? which part yuh located again? Or yes, under yuh woman.....no wonder why yuh have such a good view of the tampon string......bless up  :beermug:

kingman
If I under mih woman ah shouldn't be seeing your tampon, unless by implication yuh'z really ah queen.  Getting stuffy in dat closet?

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 07:36:48 PM »

kingman
If I under mih woman ah shouldn't be seeing your tampon, unless by implication yuh'z really ah queen.  Getting stuffy in dat closet?

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl: Real funny rude boy!!

Dreddy, gone suck up yuh wet, bloody drowse and keep yuh bomba shut nah. When we meeting for a lickle stout breadrin?

Kingman

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 07:43:54 PM »

kingman

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl: Real funny rude boy!!

Dreddy, gone suck up yuh wet, bloody drowse and keep yuh bomba shut nah. When we meeting for a lickle stout breadrin?

Kingman

I go settle fuh ah Ginger shandy...in ah plastic cup please...my head sorf and cyah take bottle... ;D

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 12:59:06 AM »
Bakes,

With the hope of detaching you from your disturbing communication with Kingman let me say this -

Your response has the virtue of many a concession speech ... at least I appreciate the more conciliatory tone you've struck, but I'm less satisfied with your intent of diluting the discussion with weak or non-responsive correlations and self-celebratory distractors.

I really not into the boasting and bragging thing, and while I see you have included some very good tidbits here, I stand by my original statements, the gist of which is that across the board D-II is less competitive than D-I.

... I'm able to gauge what recruitment strategies are taking shape often before they play out years later when players finally matriculate into college.

What exactly is 'less competitive'? How is that to be gauged? Within the division? Within or across various D-II conferences? By head to head competition between D-I and D-II teams?

How on earth do recruitment strategies affect my "on any given Sunday" assertion?

For the convenience of all let me restate the Wikipedia assertion:

"Matches between the three divisions in non-revenue sports are often quite competitive; the difference in the level of competition between the two divisions is often considerably less in these sports than it is in football and men's or women's basketball

Fairly there is only one reasonable interpretation of this contention and it has nothing to do with whether D-II is less competitive per se than D-I, but all to do with the perception of the distinction among the divisions and the reality of the distinction among the divisions.

Once again, my original assertion sought to address this and this only ... similarly so the KC article. Anyone close to the game understands the administrative/organizational distinctions among the divisions, but do you understand the philosophical differences as to why/how the NCAA constructed the divisions into (as you grant) not arbitrary categories? And that outcomes can be varied?

Are you willing to acknowledge how these philosophical differences affect budgetary considerations, but not necessarily the calibre of player at a D-II school?

I have long recognized the advantages associated with D-I institutions, and my assertion bears these factors in mind. Yet still I see things the way I do ...

It's somewhat of an uninformed view or disingenuous oversight to sweep in one direction with blanket statements, but then ask us to ignore the dust you've left on the floor.

The discussion was never about whether, as you put it, there was "any competitive variance". All of us on the side of reason would be senselessly resistant to this idea were we to fight that fight. That's not, nor ever has been, our contention. We understand (and mentioned) the factors that promote the persistently different environments across the divisions (read Rocoply again please).

We recognize the reality, but we still maintain that D-II schools should not be dealt with as dismissively as you dealt with them (let me remind you of your choice words ... "but that's a facking D-II school"). The pity here is (in spite of your interactions with the coaching fraternity) you remain unable to discern the difference between the general context and the actuality. You profess to understand where D-II players come from but you actually don't.

I have no doubt that members of the coaching fraternity would agree with me.

That said, I recognize that all of them understand how the stars should be aligned. D-I should beat D-II. However, convention isn't what gets the job done.

We also have to account for bias ... unless you've spoken to D-I coaches who have laboured in D-II environments we have a further issue. Then there's also bias because no coach would concede that his team would lose to the opposition. In any event, I'm not gullible enough to believe that you possessed the insight to ask coaches whether D-II could beat D-I. Further, if you did this would have been glaring in your presentation.

What you're doing is extrapolating your understanding of D-I's operating environment and projecting your bias. But, I suppose some selective extrapolation is permissible under your formula. (see below)

And, out of convenience you seem uninclined to address the ascendancy of D-II players into the pro ranks. Heck, I know D-III players who have received attention at professional tryouts. I know army players that have done the same. Same tryouts at teams where some internationals from our region compete for roster spots. And, I know some army players who may soon be featuring in one or other of these divisions.

You dismiss Jahyouth's experiences playing in WV, but demonstrate your ignorance (or wilful blindness) that WV is now one of the top D-I teams in the country with a coach honoured with national accolades. Again, curious thing that ... team fortunes are not static - just like the game and results they are dynamic - and it is expressly upon this reality upon which I premised my assertion. In a dynamic game of soccer many a D-II team could compete with teams not considered to be mediocre D-I squads.

(Incidentally, how do you account for some big budget D-I teams, with allegedly superior players, having inferior mediocre squads? Do you lay that at the feet of your friends in the coaching fraternity?)

There are some players who have been invited to our very own national camps who ply their trades at D-II institutions - not at all a unique circumstance. Kevin Crooks comes to mind immediately (Clayton State). This year they signed a former US-Under 18 player. Get real! This guy could find no D-I team willing to take him?

Then there's the question of this doozy:

the great thing about this website is that everybody's an authority...at least in their own minds.  As I said earlier...this isn't a debate I care that much about to get into no back and forth...often time I'll take up de ole talk to pass time at work or whatever, but now isn't one of those times.  I respect everyones experiences...so if a man like Jahyouth come say that Wheeling Jesuit routinely kick West Virginia's ass (WVU being a nobody when it comes to soccer, but that's for another day) I won't...can't dispute that.  The danger lies in taking our individual experiences and extrapolating it as fact across the board.  The broader the experience the more accurate the gauge...and while I won't make any claims relative to my own experience, I'm pretty comfortable that the objective measures I've used in makng my conclusion would stand up to challenge.

You seem fairly comfortable denigrating or minimizing the experience of others while promoting yours - even though, by your own contention, you allegedly respect our collective experiences.

That's one issue. Even if we assume your comment to be true you're equally as guilty of the accusation you make of others and perhaps moreso because your contentions are reputedly based on the cumulative experience of others rather than your personal first-hand observations.

Believe me when I say that you possess no particular monopoly on access to the NSCAA. Curious thing that, I too "have numerous interactions with NSCAA coaches in the US" and I have concluded otherwise.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 01:04:51 AM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>