April 29, 2024, 08:20:20 AM

Author Topic: Was Pele Really The Best?  (Read 8662 times)

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
Re: Was Pele Really The Best?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2007, 03:08:41 PM »
I would say that he was the first major football Icon, and he made many people aware of football.
Nah..dat was Di Stefano (the first real major icon)
when I watch main stream soccer channels, there is mention of Pele
I dont hear about Di Stefano

Di Stefano was before Pele and there is not enough footage of him to make his image as marketable. I never said he was the biggest icon..but in a time where there was not as much media exposure..Di Stefano was the first major world reknowned star. He and Puskas brought in the Real Madrid era that is largely responsible for Madrid being the glamorous, prestigious club that they are today. Nobody is marketed like Pele..but Di Stefano was massive for the time. In any case..I not stating it as fact...just my opinion
Yes I agree with what you say
It is like the amount of exposure that Beckham gets compared to some other MORE capable footballers of today.

Who is more capable than Becks, that's not getting the amount of exposure?
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2007, 05:12:01 PM »
I wont get involved with who was de best but people must also remmeber when Pele was playing they didnt have yellow cards. That man used to get real kick up.

I agree, defences were much more brutal in Pele's time and the treatment he got in '66 paved the way for FIFA to institute rule changes to protect it's star players.( ie yellow and red cards in 1970).  Teams had designated hit men assigned to players like Pele. The modern day divers have abused this priveledge, I would like to see these pretty boys survive a card free game let alone a full season.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2007, 09:01:58 PM »
You'll ca cuss me. I think this need to be judge by decades:

90's  Ranaldo

00's Ronaldano

Never heard of these guys, but I'll take you word for it that they were good....

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
must give yuh credit that was a good one, me ain't notice that until yuh post, ttcom hard luck but the man real make meh laugh.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2007, 12:37:18 AM »
Every body here know how ah feel about de racist behavior in Argentina, but wid dat said, ah have tuh be honest and say dat Maradona will always be de best fuh me. If it wasn't fuh meh idol Latapy, Maradona would ah be my permanent avatar. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2007, 06:19:02 AM »
Who is more capable than Becks, that's not getting the amount of exposure?

Hmmmm.....

Pirlo
Schweinsteiger
Fabergas
Villa
Joaquin
Robben
Van Persie
Edwards
Tevez
Mikel
Quaresma

That's just the tip of that iceberg.  There are PLENTY MORE CAPABLE footballers than David Beckham.  None, not Ronaldinho, Messi, Kaka, or anybody else are marketed as much.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2007, 06:50:46 AM »
Pele
Without a doubt,is the best was the best and there will be no other,all others will look up to but never attain
Pele is an original,thats what make him stand out from the rest and make all others compared to HIM
As a striker he managed all aspects of his position exceptionally well,sometimes it could not be distinguished if he were playing in mid field and he made players around him even greater,2 goals scored because of his decision making bear this out,Jairzino`s goal against England and Alberto`s goal against Italy
For those who have doubts about his greatness,I suggest you study footage entitled...Giants of Brazil...it chronicles the very beginning of Brazil`s football history,to the end of Zico and Socrates era

Then again I am partial and honest about it

Jah is the Almighty

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2007, 01:29:32 PM »
Got this off the net, I dont agree with everthing on there but I think its an interesting way to look at these two greats...

The battle of the giants: Pele vs Maradonna

I will compare the two greatest players ever by scoring them on different categories, like hability, speed and sportmanship, different skills give more points than other, hability gives most points, it gives 5 points because many things are included in hability, sportmanship for example only gives the player one point. In ever category the players will get a score between 1-10 from my personal experiences studying the players in sequenses. In the end the players will then get an avarage of all skills multiplied with the number of points the skill is worth and then divided with the number of skills in total.

Skills                                                   Pelé                                  Maradonna

Hability (5pts)                                     almost perfect(9.5pts)          perfect(10pts)

Velocity(3pts)                                     perfect(10pts)                    excellent(8.5pts)
shoot(3pts)                                        extrordinary(9pts)                extrordinary(9pts)
football brain(3pts)                              perfect(10pts)                     perfect(10pts)

strength(2pts)                                   perfect(10pts)                      extrordinary(9pts)
stamina(2pts)                                    almost perfect(9.5pts)           excellent(8.5pts)
effectiveness(2pts)                            perfect(10pts)                      excellent(8.5pts)
quickness(2pts)                                 almost perfect(9.5pts)           perfect(10pts)
Goal dangerousness(2pts)                   perfect(10pts)                      extrordinary(9pts)

long pass/cross(1pt)                          extrordinary(9pts)                  extrordinary(9pts)
tactician(1pt)                                   extrordinary(9pts)                   extrordinary(9pts)
mentally(1pt)                                   perfect(10pts)                       excellent(8.5pts)
leadership(1pt)                                 almost perfect(9.5pts)            extrordinary(9pts)
defense(1pt)                                   Very good(7pts)                    Very good(7pts)
fighter(1pt)                                     extrordinary(9pts)                  excellent(8.5pts)
sportmanship(1pt)                            almost perfect(9.5pts)            poor(3pts)
head hability(1pt)                             perfect(10pts)                      quite good(6pts)
durability(1pt)                                  almost perfect(9.5pts)           extrordinary(9pts)          Average:                                        above almost perfect(9.5+)     close to extrordinary(8.5+)

According to me and my calculation, Pelé is the footballplayer of all time. It would be interesting to compare Pelé with other great athletes like Carl Lewis, Björn Borg, Muhammed Ali and Michael Johnson, but how should we do that?

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2007, 01:41:52 PM »
I wont get involved with who was de best but people must also remmeber when Pele was playing they didnt have yellow cards. That man used to get real kick up.
:rotfl:

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2007, 07:03:24 PM »
Got this off the net, I dont agree with everthing on there but I think its an interesting way to look at these two greats...

The battle of the giants: Pele vs Maradonna

I will compare the two greatest players ever by scoring them on different categories, like hability, speed and sportmanship, different skills give more points than other, hability gives most points, it gives 5 points because many things are included in hability, sportmanship for example only gives the player one point. In ever category the players will get a score between 1-10 from my personal experiences studying the players in sequenses. In the end the players will then get an avarage of all skills multiplied with the number of points the skill is worth and then divided with the number of skills in total.

Skills                                                   Pelé                                  Maradonna

Hability (5pts)                                     almost perfect(9.5pts)          perfect(10pts)

Velocity(3pts)                                     perfect(10pts)                    excellent(8.5pts)
shoot(3pts)                                        extrordinary(9pts)                extrordinary(9pts)
football brain(3pts)                              perfect(10pts)                     perfect(10pts)

strength(2pts)                                   perfect(10pts)                      extrordinary(9pts)
stamina(2pts)                                    almost perfect(9.5pts)           excellent(8.5pts)
effectiveness(2pts)                            perfect(10pts)                      excellent(8.5pts)
quickness(2pts)                                 almost perfect(9.5pts)           perfect(10pts)
Goal dangerousness(2pts)                   perfect(10pts)                      extrordinary(9pts)

long pass/cross(1pt)                          extrordinary(9pts)                  extrordinary(9pts)
tactician(1pt)                                   extrordinary(9pts)                   extrordinary(9pts)
mentally(1pt)                                   perfect(10pts)                       excellent(8.5pts)
leadership(1pt)                                 almost perfect(9.5pts)            extrordinary(9pts)
defense(1pt)                                   Very good(7pts)                    Very good(7pts)
fighter(1pt)                                     extrordinary(9pts)                  excellent(8.5pts)
sportmanship(1pt)                            almost perfect(9.5pts)            poor(3pts)
head hability(1pt)                             perfect(10pts)                      quite good(6pts)
durability(1pt)                                  almost perfect(9.5pts)           extrordinary(9pts)          Average:                                        above almost perfect(9.5+)     close to extrordinary(8.5+)

According to me and my calculation, Pelé is the footballplayer of all time. It would be interesting to compare Pelé with other great athletes like Carl Lewis, Björn Borg, Muhammed Ali and Michael Johnson, but how should we do that?

There is no way you could give a one foot man(Diego) a perfect score over Pele who was masterful with both feet and his head.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

1]; } ?>