April 25, 2024, 03:28:10 AM

Author Topic: The Stretford End- Home of the Champions  (Read 918756 times)

giggsy11

Re: The Stretford End- Home of the Champions
« Reply #3600 on: October 23, 2011, 12:01:22 PM »
Young's then Evra's failure to track Milner is what led to the 2nd goal. Anderson was playing Silva but the failure of Young and Evra to track Milner on the pass left Milner wide open to receive the pass.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: October 23, 2011, 12:16:38 PM »
Young's then Evra's failure to track Milner is what led to the 2nd goal. Anderson was playing Silva but the failure of Young and Evra to track Milner on the pass left Milner wide open to receive the pass.

Noone was at fault. United were already down to 10 men at that stage, City had an extra man available on the overlap and made them pay.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: October 23, 2011, 12:32:06 PM »

Noone was at fault. United were already down to 10 men at that stage, City had an extra man available on the overlap and made them pay.

Track the runner leave the man with the ball, let the man on the ball make a decision by taking away that threat of the run.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: October 23, 2011, 12:37:44 PM »
If it was so easy Elan....  goals 2 and 3 were numerical advantage and a mix of poor decisions

Human beings afterall...

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: October 23, 2011, 12:39:23 PM »
If it was so easy Elan....  goals 2 and 3 were numerical advantage and a mix of poor decisions

Human beings afterall...

I'm not saying it's easy, but that's what "suppose" to happen in such a situation, Anderson did not see the runner until late. Good execution by Man City.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: October 23, 2011, 01:27:24 PM »
First of all, F@*k the haters!! seeing that most of them from teams we already beat...second of all when was the last time Fletcher start or even play a game?

Last season ago I think it was, one of allyuh Man U zombies bawl Fletcher is one of the best mids in the world.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 04:24:41 PM by Peong »

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: October 23, 2011, 03:17:06 PM »
First of all, F@*k the haters!! seeing that most of them from teams we already beat...second of all when was the last time Fletcher start or even play a game?

Last season ago I think it was, one of allyuh Man U zombies bawl Fletcher is one of the best mids in the world.  ;D

Golasso from Fletcher though

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: October 23, 2011, 05:56:15 PM »
Excuse my lateness, Flow had my internet down since yesterday....

But just stopping by to say that I thoroughly enjoyed that cutass Man U colleck this morning.

Thank you and good night everyone.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: October 23, 2011, 06:34:08 PM »
Things happen really quickly in football, and little things make a big difference.  United was the better side at 11 v. 11 but Balotelli scored a good goal against the run of play and Evans shat the bed with his red card offense, and that was the game really.

What was shocking was how Utd lost their discipline and seemingly gave up defensively.  United has had some indifferent performances in the last 3 games or so and I think their confidence and morale is taking a little beating.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: October 23, 2011, 06:52:21 PM »
Sir Alex eh taking dat at all! Come January watch  Fergie splash money  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: October 24, 2011, 10:31:01 AM »
and how are the ManU fans feeling today?

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: October 24, 2011, 10:39:26 AM »

if I were to guess, I'd say like dey fall arse first on ah deluxe dildo ;)
I pity the fool....

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: October 24, 2011, 10:56:35 AM »

if I were to guess, I'd say like dey fall arse first on ah deluxe dildo ;)
That sounds panfull lol, but to answer the question, I'm fine, I know we will destroy our next opponent and this is just a wake up call to both Fergie and the players. It sucks we lost that big at home from our rivals, but life goes on Man.United will rebound from this starting with the next game.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: October 24, 2011, 02:35:06 PM »
We got knocked off the perch!!!!

giggsy11

« Reply #3614 on: October 25, 2011, 04:40:47 PM »
As much as he sometimes frustrates me, love me some Berba! I hope he gets his time tuh shine this season!

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3615 on: October 29, 2011, 08:00:08 AM »
hard fought win at a very difficult place to go

Hernandez with the winner

2 home games(Otulel and Sunderland) before the international break ... lets finish strong

oh btw : C-H-3-L-5-E-A

giggsy11

« Reply #3616 on: November 02, 2011, 03:02:33 PM »
Lord we playing sloppy, very frustrating to watch! Looks like players not bearing down when they have the ball and making passes. Rooney is not the answer in midfield; he makes some nice passes but he is very predictable in his turns (always to his right and on his right foot) and his moves to evade a defender.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:08:18 PM by Giggsy11 »

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: November 03, 2011, 12:41:38 PM »
In a tribute to how far Alex Ferguson has come as a a manager, I found this story on the soccernet website:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/977440/rewind-to-1990:-fergie%27s-%27darkest-period%27?cc=5901

Fergie's 'darkest period'
November 3, 2011

By Jon Carter
(Archive)

At the start of 1990, Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson (long before he was made a Knight of the Realm) was in trouble and his side were struggling at the wrong end of the Division One table. A run of eight games without a win saw the once-great Red Devils staring relegation in the face. The accepted story is that Ferguson would have been sacked if they had been knocked out of the FA Cup by Nottingham Forest on January 7. The game proved to be a reprieve from those calling for his head, but - possibly until the recent 6-1 hammering by rivals Man City - the time remains by his own admission his 'darkest period' as a manager.

The majority of Sir Alex Ferguson's first years at Manchester United were spent in a position he has since taken great pleasure in becoming unfamiliar with. Ferguson's first job at Old Trafford was to overturn the run that previous incumbent Ron Atkinson had placed them in and he succeeded in lifting the Red Devils from the relegation zone into 11th place at the end of 1986-87.

Revamping every aspect of life at the club, from training regimes to the scouting network and youth set-up, while paying particular attention to the boozing antics of a select few, Ferguson brought discipline back to the changing room. The signings of Steve Bruce, Brian McClair and Viv Anderson, among others, helped lift them to a worthy second place in the First Division, yet nine points behind champions Liverpool.

Unable to continue that kind of challenge, though, an inconsistent side slipped to 11th in their next season. At times, Ferguson's men looked like they could be title contenders; at others they would not have been out of place in Division Two. Clearly, their final position in the table was far less than expected and, with the side described as ''hard working, methodical and dull'', Fergie's cautious style was hardly winning over the fans either.

Ahead of the 1989-90 season, Ferguson's attempts to put the club's boozing history to bed came to a head and he sold Stretford End favourites Norman Whiteside and Paul McGrath. Gordon Strachan had previously been offloaded to Leeds for £200,000 and the loss of such star names, while ultimately good for the club in the long-term, were not viewed as a positive step in the short-term, despite the signings of Neil Webb, Mike Phelan and Paul Ince. Since he arrived three years previously, Ferguson had bought 16 players (at a cost of around £13 million) and sold 18 with only Bryan Robson and Mike Duxbury remaining from the team he inherited.

The overhaul initially looked as if it would bear fruit with a 4-1 drubbing of Arsenal on the opening day of the new season, but four defeats in their next six games (including a 5-1 thrashing by Man City at Maine Road) saw the detractors begin to gain support. Ferguson bemoaned the club's heavy injury problems - especially with Webb snapping his Achilles tendon a few games into his United career while on England duty - but an infamous banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still crap... ta-ra Fergie" was soon displayed at Old Trafford, and the calls for the manager's sacking grew louder.

Yet, back against the wall, Fergie undertook what would be the first of many rearguard actions. In October and November, United turned around their early-season form and won four of seven going into December. It mattered little to the baying press pack as their one defeat, to Charlton, in the midst of the run saw The Daily Express's Steve Curry write an article entitled 'Fergie the Flop!' which referenced the fact that he had ''the worst record of any United manager of modern times''. Curry threatened that when the paying public become ''disenchanted, as they are doing now, then the wind of change blows in over Stretford".

Indeed, December brought with it a cold wind. Ferguson had claimed that it was ''a hell of burden running a club that hasn't won the title for 23 years and thinks it should do every season.'' But soon he would have more of a weight on his shoulders and he struggled to make his expensively assembled machine run smoothly.

25 Years United, Monday 10pm, ESPN Classic

The lead-up to Christmas saw four defeats in five - to Arsenal, Crystal Palace, Spurs and Aston Villa - with only a 0-0 draw which they dominated at Anfield a positive sign. The reaction was more anger from the fans typified by Richard Kurt who remembered in his book 'United We Stood' the reaction to the 3-0 hammering by Spurs: ''Humiliated three-nil, we jeered them off the pitch and vented our rage at the manager and chairman [Martin Edwards]."

More pressure from the media followed, which ultimately saw The Daily Express's John Bean write under a headline of 'Fergie's last stand' on December 28 that a bad result in ten days' time against Nottingham Forest in the Third Round of the FA Cup would make his position ''untenable''.

''League games at Wimbledon on Saturday and against QPR at Old Trafford on New Year's Day are important to Ferguson's immediate future,'' wrote Bean. ''But United's Cup result against Nottingham Forest is absolutely crucial... and he knows it.''

Ferguson, for his part, admitted as much: ''Everyone seems to have set the Cup tie as my trial. I can cope with that because I know that I am doing the job the right way and the motivation of the players is no problem. We simply have to get on with it and remember that the game will be as hard for Forest as it will be for us.'' After a 2-2 draw with Wimbledon and a 0-0 draw with QPR that saw United's team booed off by their own fans, they faced their FA Cup test with the threat of the axe looming. With United having won just nine of 35 games since their 2-1 home defeat by Norwich in February, the form book favoured Forest who were in mid-table in the league and in the process of winning the League Cup for the second season running.

On hostile turf at the City ground, and with a controversial Sixth Round exit at the hands of Brian Clough's men the previous year still fresh in memory, the pressure was on Fergie as Kurt remembers: "The sense of the time was that a knock-out by Forest would release the Edwards butcher's chopper."

The game itself was not an especially memorable one, with the tension palpable. New defensive signing Gary Pallister helped to keep the Forest attack at bay and, according to The Guardian's David Lacey, ensured that the home side ''did not get a serious sight of goal until the end of the match when they pushed forward in desperate numbers". With Des Walker playing a similarly solid role for Forest at the back, Lacey described the first-half as ''tightly contested and dour to the naked eye... [it] made dreary watching on television''.

However, the break that United (and Ferguson) needed came soon into the second half as Lee Martin kept the ball in play and fed Mark Hughes, who struck a devilish pass with the outside of his right boot across the box to the waiting Mark Robins. Robins, one of the original batch of 'Fergie's Fledglings' - alongside the likes of Martin and Russell Beardsmore - had only just turned 20 and was making only his third first-team appearance, but nodded home calmly to put United ahead. The Red Devils would hold on to the 1-0 scoreline, despite a late disallowed goal from Forest's Nigel Jemson jangling the nerves, and claimed a vital win.

Fergie's focus on youth had paid off in what many considered to be the defining match of his United career. ''[United] renewed faith with their supporters, thousands of whom cheered the players off at the end in an atmosphere of delirium tinged with slight disbelief,'' wrote Lacey. ''For the moment, the harbingers of doom will give their manager a break.''

What happened next? United's next game resulted in a 2-1 defeat to Derby County at Old Trafford and it would be a further two until they claimed a win - away at Millwall. Ferguson later described December 1989 as "the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game" but the new year would be the start of a mini-revival as he led his team to six wins out of their next ten games to finish the season in 13th place, five points ahead of relegated Sheffield Wednesday. Any dwindling thoughts from the board that Ferguson was not the right man for the job quickly vanished as he picked up his first trophy for the club by defeating Crystal Palace in a replayed FA Cup final, having played every round in the competition away from home.

The Cup win proved to be the catalyst for much more and, while then-chairman Edwards later insisted that he would still have given Ferguson more time if they had lost to Forest, the importance of that campaign cannot be understated. A year later, Fergie gave himself yet more breathing space by winning the European Cup-Winners' Cup in 1991, but the Premier League and his path to greatness was on the horizon; the rest is history.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: November 26, 2011, 10:59:35 AM »
I is a hater eh, but allyuh get tief on that penalty.
Say what, I love it. Still a hater  :devil:
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: November 26, 2011, 11:04:23 AM »

It looked like a good tackle, but recently there was a discussion with refs about what constitute a foul, and one of the things that came out was, not because you win the ball it means it's not a foul and not because you did not win the ball mean it's a foul. Another gray area being generated in the game.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: November 26, 2011, 11:04:34 AM »

De scales of justice barely move...

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: November 26, 2011, 11:09:56 AM »

De scales of justice barely move...

De point total as well  ;D
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

giggsy11

« Reply #3622 on: November 26, 2011, 01:25:11 PM »
ESPN's coverage is the worse! Game going on on dey pannin the crowd or showing a player who aint have nothing tuh do with the play! Not tuh mention that dam Ian Darke and he endless bleetin and screechin! I does have tuh mute the TV just tuh watch the game! And dey forever flashin scores like the only people watchin are people who only have ESPN and not FOXSoccer.  I wish dey would just go away with dey half arse coverages and broadcasts!

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: November 26, 2011, 01:32:05 PM »
We waz robbed

:bs: :bs: :bs:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: November 26, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
i just come to say f**k the ref. that is all ...
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

giggsy11

« Reply #3625 on: November 26, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »
Newcastle's keeper is not and never was a shitehound. While Newcastle defended very well; we did not take the many chances we created to score the goal (s) that would have given us the win. Great point blank saves by each keeper!

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: November 26, 2011, 08:30:58 PM »
ESPN's coverage is the worse! Game going on on dey pannin the crowd or showing a player who aint have nothing tuh do with the play! Not tuh mention that dam Ian Darke and he endless bleetin and screechin! I does have tuh mute the TV just tuh watch the game! And dey forever flashin scores like the only people watchin are people who only have ESPN and not FOXSoccer.  I wish dey would just go away with dey half arse coverages and broadcasts!

Co-sign! I hate ESPN coverage. I deliberately watched the Chelsea game on FSC first, cause ah knew they woulda be talking ish about the other games.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: November 27, 2011, 07:43:26 AM »
What the eff is up with all these draws....?

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #3628 on: November 27, 2011, 08:39:10 AM »
I used to like Ian Darke..but like the man gone over to the dark side yes  :D
I wish he just change citizenship and get ah US passport
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: November 27, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
I used to like Ian Darke..but like the man gone over to the dark side yes  :D
I wish he just change citizenship and get ah US passport

After his nauseating work at the Women's world Cup, I eh too convinced he doh already have one.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

1]; } ?>