April 23, 2024, 08:13:12 AM

Author Topic: The Stretford End- Home of the Champions  (Read 918014 times)

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: The Stretford End- Home of the Champions
« Reply #5760 on: November 25, 2014, 10:10:57 PM »
 :beermug: i like it!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: November 25, 2014, 11:32:23 PM »
Have vivid memories of that game, was highly entertaining....Yorke and Rivaldo were in fine form then

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: November 26, 2014, 10:46:04 AM »
Nice!

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: November 26, 2014, 11:51:55 AM »
Welcome back to Soca Warriors Site!  :beermug:

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5764 on: December 12, 2014, 05:38:07 PM »
Five classic Man Utd v Liverpool matches
ITV Reports 12 December 2014 at 11:17am

Solskjaer's goal set Manchester United on the way to the treble in 1999.
Photo: PA

The rivalry between Manchester United and Liverpool is probably more fierce than any other in the top flight and the country's two most decorated clubs go head to head again at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Here we look at some of the memorable moments between the pair at Manchester United's famous ground.

Berbatov celebrates his hat-trick in 2010. Credit: PA
Man Utd 3 Liverpool 2, September 2010

United striker Dimitar Berbatov was in one of those moods as he majestically put the hosts 2-0 in front just before the hour, his second a brilliant overhead kick. Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard pulled his side level with a penalty and free-kick only for Berbatov to have the final say with a towering header six minutes from time to complete United's first hat-trick against their arch-enemies since 1946.

Fernando Torres terrorised Nemanja Vidic in 2009. Credit: PA
Man Utd 1 Liverpool 4, March 2009

Forever remembered as the game Fernando Torres terrorised Nemanja Vidic to the point where the Serbian was sent off, this was Liverpool's best win at Old Trafford in 73 years. Cristiano Ronaldo's penalty was cancelled out by Torres before Gerrard also scored from the spot. Fabio Aurelio scored from the free-kick awarded for Vidic's second yellow card but the most unlikely scorer was much-maligned full-back Andrea Dossena.

Solskjaer hit a famous late winner. Credit: PA
Man Utd 2 Liverpool 1, FA Cup, January 1999

It could not be known at the time but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's last-minute goal was to prove a pivotal moment in United's treble-winning season. Liverpool had led the fourth-round tie through Michael Owen's third-minute strike but, establishing a trend which would manifest itself with even greater significance in Europe later in the season, United turned things around in the last two minutes through Dwight Yorke and then Solskjaer.

A bit of pole dancing from 'King Eric'. Credit: PA
Man Utd 2 Liverpool 2, October 1995

The return of the King. Eric Cantona's comeback from his eight-month suspension for his kung-fu kick on a fan was always going to be explosive and the Frenchman was instrumental, creating the first for Nicky Butt and finishing with a flourish after converting a penalty equaliser and then twirling around the stanchion behind the goal. Two remarkable goals from Robbie Fowler were virtually relegated to a sideshow.

Manchester United's Denis Law scored either side of half-time. Credit: PA
Man Utd 3 Liverpool 0, April 1965

Liverpool arrived at Old Trafford as champions but found themselves totally outplayed. Denis Law scored either side of half-time while John Connelly got the other as United also twice hit the post and had two shots cleared off the line.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: December 14, 2014, 09:10:42 AM »
Good shift by Fellaini.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5766 on: December 14, 2014, 09:21:49 AM »
Incredibly wasteful performance by Liverpool today. On the other side incredibly clinical by United, that's the game in a nutshell.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5767 on: December 14, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
So true. It just not Liverpool's day. Manu took their chances. Manu are more confident this year than last year. But the defense ,except DeGea, is still suspect. Pool could have scored five. De gea was exceptional today.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: December 14, 2014, 10:37:17 AM »
Glory Glory !
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: December 15, 2014, 08:51:50 AM »
Incredibly wasteful performance by Liverpool today. On the other side incredibly clinical by United, that's the game in a nutshell.

Don't think either side played particularly well but the ball just bounced our way today. I'll take that and the 3 points.  :beermug:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: December 15, 2014, 10:31:25 AM »

Don't think either side played particularly well but the ball just bounced our way today. I'll take that and the 3 points.  :beermug:

Actually, I thought was good end to end fast paced action.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: December 15, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »

Actually, I thought was good end to end fast paced action.

There were moments, like the counters that led to the ManU goals but other than that far too many cheap giveaways for me, and both sides seemed a little shaky defensively.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: December 16, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »
Manchester United 'relaxed' about future of keeper David De Gea

ManUTD are said to be 'relaxed' about David De Gea's future despite Spanish reports that he is frustrated with a lack of credit from Louis van Gaal.
The BBC claim that 'Manchester United are confident David De Gea's future is at Old Trafford' after a report in El Confidencial suggested that the Spaniard believes his performances are being played down by the Dutch manager.
The headline of 'Van Gaal, always negative, never positive with De Gea' sits above a story which is clearly designed to push De Gea away from Manchester United and further towards Real Madrid.
Van Gaal was certainly at pains to take attention away from De Gea after Sunday's 3-0 victory over Liverpool, saying: "You can always say that some players are the most influential in a game and, of course, David De Gea had a big influence.
"The balls were in his capacity, but he did it very well. I can mention other players who were also very good and had a big influence in this game today."
De Gea's contract expires in 2016 and there were reports last week that he is being offered a massive pay rise to lift his salary to approximately £140,000 per week.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/manchester-united-relaxed-about-future-of-goalkeeper-david-de-gea-121614

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: December 17, 2014, 11:55:42 AM »
Falcao: I really want to stay at United

Radamel Falcao would love to stay at Manchester United, but admits a permanent move to Old Trafford is likely to depend on how much he plays from now until the end of the season. United thought they had pulled off a major coup by signing Falcao from Monaco on deadline day, but so far the Colombian has not lived up to his star billing. Thanks partly to injury, Falcao has struggled to find form and has scored just once in 11 appearances.

Despite his struggles, Falcao is keen for United to exercise their option to buy him for £43.5m. The former Porto striker concedes his chances of remaining at Old Trafford hinge partly on the amount of playing time he gets for the remainder of the campaign, though.

"I am very happy in this city, in this club and I am enjoying it here," he told Press Association Sport. "I really want to stay. From my point of view, I'd like to carry on but obviously I have to analyse the situation, see if I play more and see what decision the board takes."

Falcao has not started a game since he scored his only United goal against Everton on 5 October. A calf injury ruled the player out for a month, but since he returned he has made three brief appearances off the bench, the latest one being a 12-minute cameo in the 3-0 win over Liverpool which kept United third in the table.

Falcao, who cost Monaco £52m when they signed him from Atletico Madrid 18 months ago, admits he would prefer to play more, but is willing to be patient.

"Every footballer wants to play, no-one is happy when they are not playing, when they are on the bench, but whenever I am given the opportunity, whether it be for five, 10, 20 or 90 minutes, I have to give my best," he said. "I feel ready for the moment that the team needs me. Whenever I have the opportunity to come on I try to do my best for the coach and I try to help the team."

Van Gaal chats, Mata praise
When asked whether he had spoken to manager Louis van Gaal about his lack of playing time, Falcao said: "We talk a lot. He has a philosophy that I respect.

"I have had an injury, and I have had to wait for the opportunity to play. I am not playing many minutes at the moment, but I am sure that there will more opportunities to play."

The professional way in which Falcao has dealt with not being part of the first team has brought praise from team-mate Juan Mata, who has also struggled to hold down a place in Van Gaal's starting XI.

"He is training very well, he is waiting for his opportunity like the great professional he is, like the great team-mate he is," the United playmaker said.

Falcao hopes he will soon reach peak fitness and start repaying the club for the money they have invested in him.

"I'm almost at 100 per cent now, let's see wait and see what the decision of the coach is, when he wants to use me more," said Falcao, who is one of the top earners at the club.

Robin van Persie has scored four goals in his last four games and Wayne Rooney is starting to show good form, while Van Gaal has shown a lot of faith in 19-year-old forward James Wilson. Falcao acknowledges he faces tough competition to earn a regular starting berth.

"We have a group of strikers who are very good and that's good for everyone," he said. "That means there is always a level of competition between us, healthy competition, and obviously I am very happy with how the team is doing."

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5774 on: December 18, 2014, 04:42:59 PM »
Argentine sports journalists choose Di Maria as the best Argentine baller of the year (foreign-based) ... IN A SECRET BALLOT.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:45:00 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5775 on: December 19, 2014, 11:44:13 AM »
Manchester United boss Van Gaal will take time over Falcao decision
Luis van Gaal will not make a call on Radamel Falcao's future until the striker has an extended run in the Manchester United first team.
Despite a difficult, injury-hit start to life at Old Trafford, Falcao this week spelled out his desire to stay at the club beyond the end of the season.
The Colombian, who is on a season-long loan from Monaco, says he is settled in Manchester and happy at the club despite scoring just once in eight appearances.
Van Gaal will not be rushed into making a decision on whether to exercise his right to sign the player in a £43.5million deal though.
The United manager wants the former Porto and Atletico Madrid striker to prove his fitness and form first.
"He hasn't played so much," Van Gaal said when asked about the possibility of signing Falcao.
"You cannot see too much of a player if he doesn't train so much. He has been injured a lot of time. First you have to be fit.
"Now he shows fitness in the training sessions so maybe I shall select him (for Saturday's game at Aston Villa), maybe for the bench or the line up. Let's wait and see."
Falcao's last start came on October 5 when he scored his one and only goal for the club against Everton.
Van Gaal fielded teenage striker James Wilson ahead of the two-time Ballon d'Or nominee for last week's 3-0 win over Liverpool.
http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/manchester-united-boss-van-gaal-will-take-time-over-falcao-decision-121914

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: February 01, 2015, 09:34:36 PM »
Back in 3rd place. Where are the faithful?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: February 02, 2015, 06:09:52 AM »
dey shame......showed no patience...look whey alyuh is now......
I pity the fool....

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: February 02, 2015, 09:41:35 AM »
As long as we in Europe next season, I happy. Anything more than that is gravy.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: February 04, 2015, 01:59:56 PM »
Phew! Now I can afford to have a laugh at the expense of my friends from Chelsea and ManCity.  ;D
 :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: February 23, 2015, 12:09:11 PM »
It kills me that every time Chelsea stumbles in the league, so do we. Ahh well.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: February 23, 2015, 03:10:46 PM »

You better have ah life support machine at home because dat shit side will die and disappear from top 4 contention over the next 7 weeks lol

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: February 23, 2015, 03:17:36 PM »

You better have ah life support machine at home because dat shit side will die and disappear from top 4 contention over the next 7 weeks lol

Ah go check back with you in April.  ;D

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: February 28, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »
So still getting help from refs I see.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: February 28, 2015, 03:24:34 PM »
So still getting help from refs I see.

what? The penalty? Nah, It was penalty, but the wrong man get sent off.  But if you want to say United not convincing, I would agree on that.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: April 04, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
Rooney's goal was sweet, nice first touch/control

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: April 12, 2015, 06:18:16 PM »
What a difference a year makes!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: April 12, 2015, 06:29:18 PM »

Just finished watching the game on the DVR 5 mins ago.  United rampant.  Mata's goal looked offside, but other than that, City showed nothing in the middle and not enough at the back.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: April 12, 2015, 07:10:05 PM »

Just finished watching the game on the DVR 5 mins ago.  United rampant.  Mata's goal looked offside, but other than that, City showed nothing in the middle and not enough at the back.

Mata was indeed offside. The linesman just was not in the right position to catch it. But ManU was doing all the right things, indeed.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: April 13, 2015, 07:47:08 AM »

Ah go check back with you in April.  ;D

7 weeks later, we still in dat champions league spot and de life support machine lil dusty ;D

1]; } ?>