April 18, 2024, 04:37:33 PM

Author Topic: The Stretford End- Home of the Champions  (Read 916655 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Stretford End- Home of the Champions
« Reply #900 on: May 17, 2009, 07:10:35 PM »
Tevez has been flapping his gums a little to much, and acting like he is a damn victim-I think his approach is not going to help his cause.  Go already!

Manchester United chief executive David Gilll says he expects a deal for Carlos Tevez to be completed by early June despite the Argentinean saying he does not expect to be at Old Trafford next year.

By Emily Benammar and agencies
Last Updated: 1:13PM BST 17 May 2009

Tevez's future has become a hot topic, with United fans urging the club to keep the striker following the end of his two-year loan spell this summer.

After winning the Premier League title over the weekend, Tevez accused the club of not showing him enough respect.

“I know that I am not going to continue at Manchester United,” he said. "I feel that they have lacked respect towards me. It's not about whether they pay £5 million more or £5 million less, but I feel I have been badly treated.

“I've been here for two years and the directors have never come to speak to me. Not once have I had a meeting with them. Therefore, it's best that I leave the club so as not to clash with [manager] Alex Ferguson and the directors. Neither do I understand why I don't play in the team.”

Remaining focused on what stand to be his final two matches in a United shirt, the 25-year-old insisted he will not hold any talks or consider any offers until after the Champions League final on May 27.

“I've asked [adviser] Kia [Joorabchian] not to speak to me about offers during the next 10 days,” he said. “I want to concentrate only on the final matches that we have to play.

"Afterwards, I've got a month to take a decision and choose where to go."

Gill however, seems optimistic that United can strike a deal with Tevez’s owners by early June.

Speaking to BBC Five Live, he confirmed that club and representatives have met to discuss a deal worth in the region of £25 million.

“The actual situation will be cleared up in early June,” he said. “Carlos has done very well. We'd like him to stay but the actual economic situation needs to be clarified.”

Having agreed with Kia Joorabchian that negotiations should no longer continue through the press, Gill added: “It is an unusual situation. When we did our deal to acquire Carlos two years ago, his economic rights were owned by a company controlled by Kia Joorabchian. That's a feature of a lot of South American players.

"We have to deal with Kia Joorabchian - we paid a loan fee for two years, then there is a fixed fee we have to pay his company if we wish to take up our option to acquire Carlos, at which point we would own him 100 per cent in football terms, and any other club would deal with us.

"Whatever happens to him in the summer, that situation will be clarified. If he goes to another club in the Premier League, then that club would own him outright.”

No one is bigger than the Club Tev... Dont blame United for your overvalued Fee... Blame yuh owner

We will not be held to hostage and If he opens his mouth and disrespects The Club the manager and the board he could f**k off to wherever Kia sells him

I want him to stay but I'm becoming frustrated with his immaturity...It's a complex situation and no need to cry about it

Nah man smalls, yuh lashin' de man unfairly.

The man is legitimately voicing his view on certain things that are reasonable.  He has not acted like he is bigger than the club- his gracious exit out of the game this weekend, and his undying commitment and work rate on the field is testament to that.  He's proven himself to be an exemplary professional and he is within his rights to speak up about things that disappoint him....and he's managed to do so without coming off as disrespectful.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: May 17, 2009, 07:31:57 PM »
Vidic bags double award(PA) Monday 18 May 2009
Nemanja Vidic completed a personal double on Sunday as he was named Manchester United player of the year by both fans and his fellow players.

Vidic picked up both awards after a season in which his formidable partnership at the back with Rio Ferdinand has played a major part in helping United retain their league title. The Serbia defender was delighted at the recognition for his achievements this season. "It's a great night for me," he said. "I'm really surprised, but I'm enjoying it.

"In my career I have never really had individual awards," said Vidic. "I am honoured especially when I see the players who I play every day with. It's amazing to get this award. I'm very happy. Thank you. I developed here as a player. Thank you to the players and the coaching staff," he said.

"Since I came here three and a half years ago, I have progressed every year and I'm proud of that. I enjoy it here. I like being with the players and I'm very happy here," said Vidic.

It's amazing to get this award. I'm very happy. Thank you.

Manchester United defender Nemanja Vidic

Team-mate Ryan Giggs has no doubt it was the right choice. "So many players have had a good season," he said. "But it has to be Nemanja for me. Consistently throughout the season he's been brilliant."

Cristiano Ronaldo, who won both awards last season, did not end the night empty-handed as he once again received the goal of the season prize for his stunning effort at Porto in the second leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final.

Seventeen-year-old Federico Macheda, who burst onto the scene with the winner against Aston Villa on his debut, was named academy player of the year and James Chester clinched the reserve team prize.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: May 18, 2009, 09:59:45 AM »
WAGS

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: May 18, 2009, 10:04:35 AM »

See wha money could do.

The man looking like something out of Lord of the Rings but have ah best thing.

Més que un club.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: May 18, 2009, 10:11:08 AM »
Scholes wife looks like she cud blaze he tail if he gets out of hand.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: May 18, 2009, 10:34:09 AM »
Van Der Sar & Scholes musta been dating those women before they became rich & famous. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: May 18, 2009, 10:49:53 AM »
Sometimes they better than them gold diggers that does turn up
Youtube Channel

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 18, 2009, 11:33:58 AM »
Van Der Sar & Scholes musta been dating those women before they became rich & famous. 

well at least they know they not after their money
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 18, 2009, 11:35:48 AM »

Scholes eh a man to lime and act like a starboy. He married...he does come...train....dahs it. So yeh....i doubt she a gold digger.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: May 18, 2009, 05:32:40 PM »

:devil: :rotfl:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:44:00 PM by Small Magician aka Wazza »

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: May 18, 2009, 06:07:15 PM »
rooney other half sweet fuh days.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: May 18, 2009, 06:24:11 PM »
nani have nani
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: May 18, 2009, 08:28:02 PM »
Rafael Benítez says congratulations to Manchester United, but not their manager Alex Ferguson

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/18/rafael-benitez-alex-ferguson

Rafael Benítez said congratulations to Manchester United for winning the title after Liverpool's 2-0 win against West Bromwich. Photograph: Keith Williams/Action Images

Rafael Benítez's feud with Sir Alex Ferguson continued last night as the Spaniard refused to congratulate the Manchester United manager for winning the Premier League title. Benítez offered praise to United for their success but twice declined the opportunity to applaud Ferguson for his achievement as Liverpool secured a 2-0 victory at The Hawthorns that relegated West Bromwich Albion and secured second place.

Asked whether he would congratulate Ferguson in the wake of their 18th League title, Benítez, who had gone public with his grievances with the United manager in January with his infamous list of "facts", replied: "I will say congratulations to Manchester United." Not Sir Alex? "Ah, done well," said the Spaniard begrudgingly, "but I prefer to say congratulations to Manchester United; good club, big club."

It is protocol for the manager that finishes runners-up to send a letter of congratulations to his triumphant counterpart but Benítez gave little indication he will have a pen in his hand over the next few days when he was asked if he would write to Ferguson. "I have had normally to be polite and to respect the other manager at the end of the season. He has said a lot of things that I didn't like. I say congratulations to Man United because they have won and that's it."

Benítez saw his side cruise to a ninth win in 10 League games against Albion although the victory was overshadowed by an incident involving Jamie Carragher and Alvaro Arbeloa, when the central defender squared up to his team-mate and pushed him in the chest.

Benitez said: "Carragher and Arbeloa wanted a clean sheet so they were a little bit nervous. I think it's a positive message in terms of the mentality of the team. We wanted to show character and a winning mentality and to win and stay as close as possible to United. Arbeloa was going forward and then we had some problems in defence that we wanted to protect better because that's 20 clean sheets now." Carragher said: "It was something in nothing. It happened in the heat of the moment. We have kissed and made up. It's just one of those things that goes on from time to time. It's forgotten."

Fat...Spanish...Waiter.

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: May 18, 2009, 11:32:24 PM »
Rafael Benítez says congratulations to Manchester United, but not their manager Alex Ferguson

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/18/rafael-benitez-alex-ferguson

Rafael Benítez said congratulations to Manchester United for winning the title after Liverpool's 2-0 win against West Bromwich. Photograph: Keith Williams/Action Images

Rafael Benítez's feud with Sir Alex Ferguson continued last night as the Spaniard refused to congratulate the Manchester United manager for winning the Premier League title. Benítez offered praise to United for their success but twice declined the opportunity to applaud Ferguson for his achievement as Liverpool secured a 2-0 victory at The Hawthorns that relegated West Bromwich Albion and secured second place.

Asked whether he would congratulate Ferguson in the wake of their 18th League title, Benítez, who had gone public with his grievances with the United manager in January with his infamous list of "facts", replied: "I will say congratulations to Manchester United." Not Sir Alex? "Ah, done well," said the Spaniard begrudgingly, "but I prefer to say congratulations to Manchester United; good club, big club."

It is protocol for the manager that finishes runners-up to send a letter of congratulations to his triumphant counterpart but Benítez gave little indication he will have a pen in his hand over the next few days when he was asked if he would write to Ferguson. "I have had normally to be polite and to respect the other manager at the end of the season. He has said a lot of things that I didn't like. I say congratulations to Man United because they have won and that's it."

Benítez saw his side cruise to a ninth win in 10 League games against Albion although the victory was overshadowed by an incident involving Jamie Carragher and Alvaro Arbeloa, when the central defender squared up to his team-mate and pushed him in the chest.

Benitez said: "Carragher and Arbeloa wanted a clean sheet so they were a little bit nervous. I think it's a positive message in terms of the mentality of the team. We wanted to show character and a winning mentality and to win and stay as close as possible to United. Arbeloa was going forward and then we had some problems in defence that we wanted to protect better because that's 20 clean sheets now." Carragher said: "It was something in nothing. It happened in the heat of the moment. We have kissed and made up. It's just one of those things that goes on from time to time. It's forgotten."

Fat...Spanish...Waiter.

He was damned near doing the same thing when Jose was winning his two titles.  Rafa is just trying to learn how to play the mind games game.  he have further to go.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: May 19, 2009, 06:42:05 AM »
Watch how Sir Alex go make Rafa look even more dotish now.
(Muslim)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: May 19, 2009, 07:27:00 AM »
Watch how Sir Alex go make Rafa look even more dotish now.

I think rafa could do dat all on his own.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

giggsy11

« Reply #916 on: May 19, 2009, 08:40:32 AM »
Carrick copping a feel.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: May 19, 2009, 09:47:08 AM »
Anybody notice that C. Homoaldo not in any of the celebratory pictures?

edit: I now make him out dey, but even on TV Sat he look like he was dey begrudgingly.

Més que un club.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: May 19, 2009, 10:44:47 AM »
Anybody notice that C. Homoaldo not in any of the celebratory pictures?

edit: I now make him out dey, but even on TV Sat he look like he was dey begrudgingly.

Are you f**king serious?  When the trophy was about to be lifted he was behind Gary Neville ready to explode with happiness.. I was a little surprised by how up for it he was... and as soon as the trophy was lifted he grabbed nev and they all started celebrating

Here asshole

Vid Evidence:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WTKOnjWOC0w&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WTKOnjWOC0w&amp;feature=related</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9pMQSqUsWgE&amp;eurl" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9pMQSqUsWgE&amp;eurl</a>
Picture Evidence:

Doe study our players... Study Messi saying he willing to talk to Perez

giggsy11

« Reply #919 on: May 19, 2009, 04:19:18 PM »
Check out the skillins between Ronaldo and the interviewer in Rio's new mag on page 5.

http://5magazine.rioferdinand.com/Rio-Ferdinand-50Cent-MickeyRourke-Duffy/1Q49ef81308d19e012.cde/page/4

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #920 on: May 19, 2009, 09:46:20 PM »
well ah guess ah should come in and pay meh respects  ::)

Congrats allyuh Manchester United supporters..well done by allyuh team :applause:

next year the battle will continue  :duel:
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: May 24, 2009, 06:55:26 AM »
Mourinho - Fergie will be best

Jose Mourinho feels that European glory for Manchester United on Wednesday will make Sir Alex Ferguson the 'greatest club manager'.

The Red Devils are set to face Barcelona in Rome next week in an eagerly-anticipated UEFA Champions League final.

Victory for United would see them become the first side to successfully defend the trophy in its current format, while also allowing them to add the continental crown to their Premier League and League Cup triumphs.

Ferguson's men have also added the Club World Cup trophy to their ever-growing list of achievements this season, with the Red Devils continuing to dominate both at home and abroad.

Their unrivalled success over the years is largely due to the tactical nous of their manager, and Inter Milan boss Mourinho is full of praise for the manner in which his Old Trafford counterpart goes about his business.

"He is a super manager and a victory or defeat in this moment of his career doesn't make him any better or any worse - he has had a great career," said the Portuguese.

Super team

"But of course if he wins on Wednesday it would make him the greatest club manager.

"Sir Alex has made a super team. Three Premier League titles in a row and two Champions league finals - that is really top.

"They have quality and experience, with Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney. They have absolutely everything as a team: strength, mentality, speed, magic, solutions.

"Beating Arsenal in the semi-finals (of the Champions League) didn't impress me too much. It is normal.  :devil:

"But three Premier League titles and two Champions League finals, you need no more words to explain how strong they are."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5345640,00.html
(Muslim)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: May 24, 2009, 06:58:13 AM »
Ronaldo's heart is with United
Portuguese superstar remains fully committed to Red Devils

Cristiano Ronaldo insists he feels 'at home' at Manchester United and has no desire to leave the club.

Speculation continues to link the reigning World Player of the Year with a high-profile summer switch to Real Madrid.

The Spanish giants have denied having a pre-contract agreement in place with the Portuguese superstar, and United are unwilling to sell, but the rumours persist.

Ronaldo is hoping to lay the issue to rest once and for all, though, and has once again reiterated his undying dedication to the Red Devils cause.

He explained in the News of the World: "Manchester United is my home. My heart is here. This is where I want to play.

"The boss (Sir Alex Ferguson) believes in this team and so do I. Ever since I joined United he has been like a second father to me.

"This is my home now. I think even when I say my heart is here people are going to speak up and make things up. But this is where I want to play.

"We are part of an era that can go down in history for the way we are playing and for the trophies we are winning.

"The boss believes in this team and so do I. And this is where I want to be. Manchester United is now my house."
Learning

Ronaldo continued his praise for Ferguson by claiming the experienced coach has played an integral role in his development into a world-class talent.

"He is two different people and they have both helped me become who I am today," he added.

"Firstly he is probably the most knowledgeable football coach in the world. I learn from him every day.

"No matter how good I become, I know he is a man who will always be able to teach me that little bit more.

"I don't get tired of learning from him because I know every bit of advice he gives me will make me a better player.

"The second person he is, is a father to me. Ever since I joined Manchester United, he has been like a second father to me.

"I don't just respect him, I have the affection for him a child has for his father.

"When he gives me advice that is non-football, I listen because it will make me a better person."
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_5345551,00.html

Viva Ronaldo!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: May 24, 2009, 07:10:47 AM »
^^^ i was gonna post that but i not sure how I feel about CR and his antics and disrespect for the boss and his fellow players.

:-\
(Muslim)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: May 24, 2009, 10:57:48 AM »
1 nil man utd win  :devil:  ;D
Youtube Channel

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: May 24, 2009, 10:58:10 PM »
come wed we will be rulers of europe.

giggsy11

« Reply #926 on: May 25, 2009, 06:15:03 PM »
 The Independent

Dimitar Berbatov: 'If someone has great qualities, they don't need effort'

His attitude wins few admirers, but Dimitar Berbatov won't change for Wednesday's big match. He tells Sam Wallace about smoking, his work rate, and why he would rather leave penalties to others

Tuesday, 26 May 2009
Is it Andy Garcia he looks like? Or is there a touch of the Rudolph Valentinos about Dimitar Berbatov as he makes his way across the dining room of the Manchester United academy for a reluctant interview? Whoever it is, there is definitely the brooding intensity of the moodiest of Hollywood leading men about United's £30m striker.

Berbatov, 28, is the real enigma of United's season, a man whose performances have divided their fans, whose 14 goals are seen as a poor return and whose position in the starting XI against Barcelona in the Champions League final in Rome tomorrow is by no means assured. And, yes, as he walks over to the group of reporters waiting for him, Berbatov – as is his way – takes his own sweet time.

The major criticism of the Bulgarian international? That the bloke just does not even look like he is trying. Certainly not amid the all-action styles of Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez. But he has an answer for that, delivered as insouciantly as he plays. "You know," he says, "when someone has great qualities sometimes they don't have to put much effort into things. Sometimes the things I do look effortless but it's not like that. It's very difficult, but because of my style of play I make it look easy."

Delivered like the true maestro. What Berbatov is saying is that the things that most footballers find such an effort are as simple to him as scratching his ear or lighting a cigarette. Which takes us on a brief digression: having been photographed off duty with a cigarette in his mouth, is he a smoker? "No, sometimes when you see a picture I just pretend to smoke to make me more of a cool guy."

Already you are getting the picture: Berbatov is about as hard to pin down in conversation as he is when, in his best moments, he gets the ball at his feet and creates the impression that endless time and space are at his disposal. He comes across as something of a tortured soul and his style of self-appraisal is ruthlessly honest. His family history in Bulgaria was tough, and not just because of the relative lack of wealth.

But what about the season so far? He has scored 14 goals compared to 23 last year for Spurs, yet he has finished with the most assists in the team. "Of course I can do a lot better," he says. "But in the end it's only important what the boss is going to say to me, if he is happy or not. If he says he is not, then I need to work to improve so I can be better next season.

"When people see my name they see goals. I need to score more goals even though I don't play in my usual position. It's difficult to say to people that I enjoy making goals. My main aim is to score as many goals as possible and help the team to win the title again next year.

"There is always pressure. I am a realistic type of guy. I am my biggest critic. I know that when United pay a lot of money for a player the expectation will be higher, sometimes it's even ridiculous. I am used to that and I know everyone is expecting even more from me.

"I read in the paper that the most useful guy for the team was me. It made me feel good. I didn't score as many goals as I wanted and people are maybe a little disappointed with that, but in the end I made the most assists. I helped my team-mates to score and I will continue to do that. That's the most important thing for the team because we need to win the league every year."

Neither is he prepared to change his style, saying the only person who can make him do that is the man he refers to simply as "Boss". But Sir Alex Ferguson has a big decision to make before tomorrow night as to whether he picks his usual 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation with Berbatov at the point of the attack or Cristiano Ronaldo or even Tevez. Berbatov knew that even a star as luminous as he is would not be guaranteed a starting place at United.

"I was jealous [at Spurs] because they [United] were lifting every cup in football," he says. "I thought, 'Come on, I just want to be part of this team and feel what it is to lift the cup.' So today I am here and if the boss says, 'OK, Berba, you are going to play,' I will try to give my best."

He does not look very happy on the pitch – is he? "Of course I am enjoying it. It would be stupid if I was laughing all the time. I really enjoy myself. When we won the title I was in the locker room and so happy. I don't smile all the time but I smile inside. I am the happiest guy around, trust me. I don't like to show my emotions too much."

Berbatov has played in a Champions League final before, in 2002 for Bayer Leverkusen, who eliminated United on away goals in the semi-finals before losing 2-1 to Real Madrid in the final. Then 21, he came on in the 39th minute of the final and had a chance to equalise at the end but saw his shot saved by the substitute goalkeeper Iker Casillas. "This memory haunts me," he said. "If I can make it right this time it will be good."

Talking of haunting memories, what about that dreadful penalty against Everton in the FA Cup semi-final shoot-out last month, the one that made it look like he did not care? "I'm not angry because I am my biggest critic," he says. "I know what I did wrong. I go home and try to get over things. Obviously, it's very difficult when you make a mistake and everyone is trying to attack you. You try to be strong.

"It hurt a lot. I am not sure I would take a penalty [in Rome]. Let's hope it's not going to get to that because it's difficult. I am the new guy in the team. When you make a mistake people sometimes go straight for the new guy. I am not sure there are going to be penalties anyway."

In his defence, Berbatov pointed out that his penalty for Spurs against Chelsea in the Carling Cup final last year was identical but that one went in. Mournfully he answers questions about his childhood in Bulgaria. "It's not like I'm the only guy in the world who went through that," he says. "After the Communists were gone it was easier to go out of the country. You need to be a little lucky, work hard and trust yourself. I had so many difficult moments. I know I will have some more but you keep on fighting."

When talk turns to the great Bulgaria team of the 1994 World Cup finals, he is asked what it did for the Bulgarian people. "At last people knew we existed," he replies, glumly. Cheer up, Berba, you might even score the winner tomorrow, but if he does don't expect him to put the cup on his head or take part in any daft celebrations. It is just not his style.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 26, 2009, 08:19:50 AM »
Sir Matt remembered

One of English football's greatest-ever managers was born 100 years ago this Tuesday (26 May) in the Scottish village of Orbiston.

A former Manchester City and Liverpool player, Matt Busby accepted the position of United manager on 19 February 1945, and then joined the club full-time on his demobilisation from the armed forces in October 1945.

Together with his loyal assistant manager Jimmy Murphy, Busby created a team good enough to win the FA Cup in 1948 and to challenge for the League Championship. After finishing runners-up four times, Busby's men won the title in 1952.

Far from being blinded by their success, Busby and Murphy had the foresight to plan ahead and prepare for the day when their first great team would need replacing. The club's scouting system was expanded and reorganised, soon yielding a young team that won the title again in 1956 and 1957 and reached the FA Cup final in 1957. This young team was christened the 'Busby Babes.'

Busby trailblazed the way for English clubs by entering the European Cup in 1956/57 - initially against the wishes of the Football League. United reached the semi-finals, losing to eventual winners Real Madrid.

The following season, 1957/58, bristled with promise and United were still challenging in all three competitions by February when disaster struck. On 6 February 1958, the aeroplane bringing the team home from a European Cup match against Red Star Belgrade crashed after refuelling in Munich. Twenty-three people were killed, including eight of Busby's players and three club officials.

Busby almost lost his life as well - he was twice given the last rites while lying gravely ill in a German hospital. Fortunately, he survived and returned to Manchester 71 days after the crash. Taking up the managerial reigns again in August 1958, Busby began to rebuild United, bringing in some big money purchases to add to his homegrown talent. The new group of players reached the FA Cup final in 1963 and beat Leicester City 3-1 to claim the club's first trophy after Munich.

League titles followed in 1965 and 1967, giving Busby the chance to conquer Europe in the following seasons. In 1965/66, United reached the semi-finals, just as they had done in 1956/57 and 1957/58. But in 1967/68 they went further, to the final at Wembley where they faced Portuguese side Benfica.

On another night of great emotion, United triumphed 4-1 after extra-time to win the European Cup. It was a fitting tribute to the players and staff killed and injured 10 years before and was Busby's crowning achievement as United manager. Busby retired at the end of the following season, but stayed on as general manager while Wilf McGuinness became the man in charge of the team on a day-to-day basis. The new arrangement lasted little more than a year - on 28 December 1970, Busby was invited by the Directors to return to his old job and replace McGuinness until the end of the season.

A respected figure throughout his career, Busby was awarded the CBE in 1958. Ten years later, was knighted following United's European Cup triumph. In 1993 Warwick Road North, the road which runs past Old Trafford, was renamed Sir Matt Busby Way in honour of the man described as 'Mr Manchester United'.

When, after a short illness, Sir Matt died on 20 January 1994, thousands of people lined the streets of Manchester and similar numbers of shirts, wreaths, pictures and scarves were laid in tribute at Old Trafford. A bronze statue of Sir Matt was unveiled at the stadium on 27 April 1996, as a permanent memorial to the man who epitomised the club.

Five years after Busby's death, United won the European Cup for the first time since 1968. Poignantly, the date of that triumph for Sir Alex Ferguson's side, 26 May 1999, would have been Matt's 90th birthday.
http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={6DDFCB6E-3471-4E45-9385-F04D05F4A70D}&newsid=6633142&page=4

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: May 26, 2009, 08:23:45 AM »
Manchester United have been given special dispensation by UEFA to turn one half of Rome's Olympic Stadium into a stunning tribute to the late Sir Matt Busby before next Wednesday's Champions League final against Barcelona.

After discussions with European football's governing body, Sir Alex Ferguson and his players will walk out before the game to be greeted by a 16,000-piece mural covering the whole of the Curva Nord that will pay tribute to Busby, who would have been 100 years old the day before the final.
Pat Crerand, left, and George Best hold the European Cup with Matt Busby after United's 1968 European Cup triumph

The mosaic - held up by United's travelling fans - will spell out 'For Sir Matt' and will include a stunning portrait of the man from whom current United manager Ferguson and his players have always taken much of their inspiration.

It is destined to become one of the lasting images of a final that could yet see United become the first team to defend the trophy in the competition's modern form.

Last night United chief executive David Gill confirmed the plan, which came courtesy of the Stretford End Flags Group.

Gill said: 'We wanted to do something to mark Sir Matt's 100th birthday and we were approached by the fans with an idea that would recognise the role he had played in the club's unique place in Europe.
Legend: Sir Matt Busby pictured with the European Cup in 1968

'Alex liked the idea straight away. The mosaic will remind millions of people around the world what a great man Sir Matt was.'

Busby won the club their first European Cup in 1968 and died in 1994. United won the Cup for the second time on what would have been his 90th birthday, May 26, 1999.

He was manager of United for 24 years - retiring in 1969 - and was recognised as the greatest boss the club had ever had until Ferguson began piling up the trophies. United have invited Busby's son Sandy and daughter Sheena to be the club's guests in Rome and attend a dinner with their directors on Tuesday.

Sandy Busby said: 'It's going to be really heart-rending when the mosaic is lifted up, and I'm sure there are going to be a few tears from my sister and myself.

'My dad would have been so proud and pleased. He was a sentimental man and he would be absolutely delighted that the fans still remember him with such affection and still sing songs in his honour. But this is something else - he will be the proudest man in heaven.'

:beermug: :beermug:

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: May 26, 2009, 04:14:51 PM »
Manchester United have been given special dispensation by UEFA to turn one half of Rome's Olympic Stadium into a stunning tribute to the late Sir Matt Busby before next Wednesday's Champions League final against Barcelona.

After discussions with European football's governing body, Sir Alex Ferguson and his players will walk out before the game to be greeted by a 16,000-piece mural covering the whole of the Curva Nord that will pay tribute to Busby, who would have been 100 years old the day before the final.
Pat Crerand, left, and George Best hold the European Cup with Matt Busby after United's 1968 European Cup triumph

The mosaic - held up by United's travelling fans - will spell out 'For Sir Matt' and will include a stunning portrait of the man from whom current United manager Ferguson and his players have always taken much of their inspiration.

It is destined to become one of the lasting images of a final that could yet see United become the first team to defend the trophy in the competition's modern form.

Last night United chief executive David Gill confirmed the plan, which came courtesy of the Stretford End Flags Group.

Gill said: 'We wanted to do something to mark Sir Matt's 100th birthday and we were approached by the fans with an idea that would recognise the role he had played in the club's unique place in Europe.
Legend: Sir Matt Busby pictured with the European Cup in 1968

'Alex liked the idea straight away. The mosaic will remind millions of people around the world what a great man Sir Matt was.'

Busby won the club their first European Cup in 1968 and died in 1994. United won the Cup for the second time on what would have been his 90th birthday, May 26, 1999.

He was manager of United for 24 years - retiring in 1969 - and was recognised as the greatest boss the club had ever had until Ferguson began piling up the trophies. United have invited Busby's son Sandy and daughter Sheena to be the club's guests in Rome and attend a dinner with their directors on Tuesday.

Sandy Busby said: 'It's going to be really heart-rending when the mosaic is lifted up, and I'm sure there are going to be a few tears from my sister and myself.

'My dad would have been so proud and pleased. He was a sentimental man and he would be absolutely delighted that the fans still remember him with such affection and still sing songs in his honour. But this is something else - he will be the proudest man in heaven.'

:beermug: :beermug:

It go be just like playing and OT :rotfl: :devil:  Licks tomorrow for all Barca haters
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

1]; } ?>