April 29, 2024, 04:37:32 AM

Author Topic: The Stretford End- Home of the Champions  (Read 923123 times)

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Stretford End- Home of the Champions
« Reply #1350 on: March 06, 2010, 01:42:37 PM »
credit to Wolves..they made today f**king frustrating

Scholesyyyy..100 prem goals...Legend

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 06, 2010, 01:44:21 PM »
SCHOLESY!! SCHOLESY!!!!!! PAUL FREAKING SCHOLES!!!!!!!! CONGRATS ON YOUR 100TH GOAL BOYO!!!!!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: March 11, 2010, 05:32:03 PM »
Reality bites for Ronaldo

There can’t be a single United fan who, on hearing of Real Madrid’s exit last night, didn¹t pause to think about Cristiano Ronaldo's reaction to the Reds' 7-2 aggregate thrashing of AC Milan.

He must have cut a fairly disconsolate figure in the dressing room as Real got to grips with their sixth consecutive exit at the first knockout stage of Europe’s most glamorous competition, and it would have taken a brave Madridista to lean over and say, “By the way, your old boys did alright tonight.”

The grass clearly isn’t always greener on the other side, it seems. Meanwhile, the Reds go marching on as a third consecutive final edges closer. And remind me, where is that final again? Ah yes. Seven years ago, our dreams of playing in a Champions League final at our own ground were shattered by an awesome Real Madrid side inspired by the Brazilian Ronaldo.

This year, will the Portuguese version be in the stands as United take to the Bernabeu turf to contest the biggest prize of all? It would be nice to think so. Who knows, he may even be sat next to another former no.7 who’s played in both Madrid and Manchester. And if the campaign continues in similar vein, the World and European player of the year awards could well be returning to OT.

I don’t really need to add to the tributes currently being lavished on Wayne Rooney, but suffice to say, from my spot in the East Stand last night (enjoying the view the away fans usually have at OT), it was pretty clear we were in the company of the greatest footballer in the world right now.

Can Rooney really match Ronaldo’s 42-goal haul from two seasons ago, the challenge seemingly laid down by Sir Alex? He needs 12 goals from a potential 14 matches. On current form, don’t bet against it.

This is a big if, but if Wayne matches or even surpasses that total one Saturday night in Madrid in May, we’re pretty sure his old team-mate Ronny will be the first to applaud. And maybe pause to imagine what might have been. (I really need to get these daydreams under control, I’m a grown man.)

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={83A644F4-1A7E-48B9-AF95-4605613A9A18}&newsid=6647243&page=2
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 05:58:49 PM by Small Magician aka Wazza »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: March 11, 2010, 05:42:07 PM »
Wayne Rooney refuses to set target as he nears Cristiano Ronaldo mark
• Manchester United striker has scored 30 goals this season
• 'I have not set myself a target. I just want to keep scoring'

Wayne Rooney is refusing to set himself a goals target for the season despite reaching the 30 mark at Old Trafford last night. Rooney continued his incredible recent run of form for Manchester United by grabbing a double in the stunning 4-0 Champions League demolition of Milan.

It meant the 24-year-old scored four of United's seven goals over the two legs and left him just 12 away from the number Cristiano Ronaldo scored in the double-winning season two years ago.

With nine Premier League games remaining, plus up to five more in the Champions League, the odds on Rooney eclipsing Ronaldo's feat are tumbling fast. But the England striker is refusing to look too far ahead, and insists his major priority is looking forward to the last-eight draw tomorrow week.

"I am delighted to get two more goals but I have not set myself a target. I just want to keep scoring," said Rooney. "Overall, it was a great result and we are delighted to get through. Now we can just look forward to the draw and see how it goes from there. There is no preference. They are all difficult games at this stage of the competition."

United already know Lyon, Bayern Munich and Arsenal are potential quarter-final opponents, while the holders Barcelona, Internazionale, Chelsea and Sevilla appear to be the strongest sides left in the other half of the draw, which is concluded next week.

However, after ripping apart the seven-times winners in clinical fashion last night, United are bidding to reach a third successive final for the first time in their history.

"The first goal was vital," said Rooney. "We set out to get an early goal to kill the game off and when we got it we shattered Milan's confidence. That was the major turning point."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/11/wayne-rooney-targets-cristiano-ronaldo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: March 11, 2010, 05:43:44 PM »
David Beckham shows true colours at Manchester United
• Former United player wears scarf of anti-Glazer campaign
• 'I'm a United fan and I support the club. I always will'

David Beckham puts on the green and yellow scarf of the anti-Glazer movement at Manchester United. Photograph: Jon Super/Associated Press

David Beckham attempted to distance himself from the campaign to oust the Glazer family from Manchester United despite leaving the pitch wearing one of the green and gold scarves that have come to symbolise the fans' protests against the club's owners.

Beckham, afforded a stirring reception on his return to Old Trafford, picked up the scarf after it was thrown from the Stretford End on a night when Malcolm Glazer's sons, Joel and Avram, were inside the stadium to witness the scale of antipathy towards their ownership of the club.

For someone of Beckham's standing to endorse the green and gold movement would be regarded as a major victory for the protestors but, as the former United player reflected on Milan's 4-0 defeat, the heaviest inflicted on them since the Champions League's conception, he said he did not want to be regarded as a figurehead for the campaign. "I'm a Manchester United fan and when I saw the scarf I wanted to put it round my neck," Beckham explained. "It's the old colours of United but, to be honest, it's not my business. I'm a United fan and I support the club. I always will, but it's got nothing to do with me how it's run. That's all to do with other people. I just support the team. I will always support the team."

That may disappoint those supporters who regarded Beckham's final act before disappearing down the tunnel as a sign of public sympathy and solidarity. Beckham reflected on an "unbelievable" reaction from an Old Trafford crowd buoyed by a commanding performance from their team and two more goals from Wayne Rooney that left Sir Alex Ferguson wondering whether his leading scorer could emulate Cristiano Ronaldo's total of 42 last season.

"It's a challenge," Ferguson said. "I was just happy for Wayne to reach 30, but he keeps on improving and he was sensational again tonight. It was just a continuation of the last two or three months – his form is just sensational. He's improved his movement in the box but he has also been practising a lot more this season than ever before, putting in extra work after training and I think he is getting the rewards of that."

The most prolific season in Rooney's career now incorporates 21 goals in his last 21 games but Ferguson also enthused about the contribution of some of United's less celebrated players, most notably praising Park Ji-sung for the "discipline and intelligence that won us the game" as well as pinpointing Gary Neville's handling of Ronaldinho.

Neville had been brought into the side to spare Rafael da Silva a repeat of his ordeal against Ronaldinho in the first leg and the former England international not only helped quell the threat of Milan's most inventive player but also set up Rooney for the first goal. "He's a remarkable man," Ferguson said. "When you've been out of the game [with injury] for a year and half it's not easy to come back and play every week at the age of 34 and now 35. He succeeded because of his will to succeed and that's really what Gary Neville is all about."

As for Beckham, Ferguson was not surprised by the crowd's affection for the former England captain. "We expected that and he deserved that," the United manager said. "Most of our former players get that type of reception. Paul Ince unfortunately went to play for Liverpool so they weren't exactly throwing garlands at him when he came back but normally they always appreciate the players who have had great careers at this club."

The only downside on the night for United was the news that Owen Hargreaves' planned comeback for the reserves against Manchester City tonight has been postponed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/11/david-beckham-manchester-united-true-colours

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 11, 2010, 06:24:16 PM »
there are some people who would like to drive a wedge between CR and Rooney. But that ain't call for. CR has given more than his money's worth for UTD. He like Beckham will always have a special feeling for the club. These guys just had reach their max at UTD. The best thing was for them to go elsewhere. Rooney is having a great season and I do hope he has a great WC. He has the passion, drive and the skills to score lots of goals. I like CR because he brings more than just scoring. He brings the flair that makes a team exciting and not boring. CR is not perfect, nor is Rooney or most footballers(and I would not bring up Chelsea players in this dept or even Dwight, Lara and Latas.)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: March 11, 2010, 07:12:18 PM »
thats what u get for leaving a big team to join that piece of shit real Madrid stueps (Sorry to the Madrid fans out there  ::)) , enjoy your stay CR.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: March 11, 2010, 07:31:35 PM »
Everybody does say the same about the Yankees. They does do the same thing. Spend big. I am not a Yankees fan. But I am Man U fan , long before they had big money. I am enjoying  the magic carpet ride that they are having this season.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: March 12, 2010, 02:58:21 AM »
Look at all deze green and gold waggonists. Under glazer yall have won multiple league titles and d champs league but everyone vex. As recent investor interest shows, there is no chance of man u ever goin bust. So y iz every1 worrying about d money side of things. Iz not ur money. Waggonists.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: March 12, 2010, 06:13:40 AM »
Look at all deze green and gold waggonists. Under glazer yall have won multiple league titles and d champs league but everyone vex. As recent investor interest shows, there is no chance of man u ever goin bust. So y iz every1 worrying about d money side of things. Iz not ur money. Waggonists.

Yeah buh study if it didnt happen so. Despite all de money for winning all those titles..the only reason the books balanced last year was cause of the sale of ronaldo. De same ting dat happen to leeds might have very well happened. And dahs de point.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: March 12, 2010, 09:40:25 AM »

Yuh talkin' some mess there breds- can't agree.  All the fans are doing is voicing some disatisfaction with what they perceive to be an owner who doesn't have the footballing interest of the club at heart, and is willing to take risks that could potentially put the club (and its fans) in a bad situation merely because it fits the financial model in the best case scenario.  I don't know all the details but what you're saying is analogous to someone working at a company with fiscally reckless management and arguably no intrinsic passion for the company's business but they're happy and smiling so long as they collecting a pay check every month.  That works for some people...but not for all.  And it IS their money unless you're naive enough to think that an organization is run on financing capital only- they're buying the team merchandise, they're buying the season tickets, Television rights are negotiated on the backs of consumers whether directly through subscriptions, or indirectly through the purchase of advertised/sponsored products which are the platform on which advertisements and ad revenue is built.  From a completely different angle/perspective, if you just look at the mere collective time and energy spent by the fans over the course of an entire season, and calculate the opportunity cost of that (and consider who in addition to the fan benefits from that), I'm sure you'd take back what you're saying.... Waggonist or not, a team is nothing without its fans, no matter how yuh try to spin it. 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 09:58:10 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: March 12, 2010, 10:02:31 AM »

now allyuh see the shit I've been saying about United haters...

If you and your fellow Chelsea fans are comfortable in Debt that's yall..I get it though..yall won some trophies in Debt..

we won trophies before and during debt.. we have history...you lot have f**k all

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: March 12, 2010, 10:55:12 AM »

If you and your fellow Chelsea fans are comfortable in Debt that's yall..I get it though..yall won some trophies in Debt..

we won trophies before and during debt.. we have history...you lot have f**k all

first of all, exactly who you referring to when you say "you lot" and what is the meaning of "f**k all". Dem ranting posts you typing dey in this jokey fake and freshwater english slang is high comedy. Yuh never live in de people place but yuh trying to sound like them.. i could just imagine how they would laugh at you.

secondly.. this talk about history again.

you wake and up and back the best side yuh see on TV. don't that make you a waggonist? lemme guess, you like Lakers and you used to like Chicago Bulls nuh.. Roger Federer is yuh player and yuh is ah Yankees man.

doh knock men who see a side build up over the years and come and gate crash the old boys party. Not everyone comfortable to just sit in the back and be a prawn sandwich eater and then disappear when the going get rough like most of the man united fans on this board and in general. Some of us here actually used some grey matter to develop valid reasons for liking a side and happy to see it come good. In other words, some of us here actually prefer to write history... not read history. 

relax yuhself and ride with de old talk (not banter) and stop embarassing yuhself with the vitriol nuh man.

When Chelsea loss yuh all up in that thread. Chelsea going and cut allyuh ass in a few weeks and we going and flood this thread and then we going and come back and do dis damn ting all over again next year.

it not that serious!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: March 12, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »

first of all, exactly who you referring to when you say "you lot" and what is the meaning of "f**k all". Dem ranting posts you typing dey in this jokey fake and freshwater english slang is high comedy. Yuh never live in de people place but yuh trying to sound like them.. i could just imagine how they would laugh at you.

secondly.. this talk about history again.

you wake and up and back the best side yuh see on TV. don't that make you a waggonist? lemme guess, you like Lakers and you used to like Chicago Bulls nuh.. Roger Federer is yuh player and yuh is ah Yankees man.

doh knock men who see a side build up over the years and come and gate crash the old boys party. Not everyone comfortable to just sit in the back and be a prawn sandwich eater and then disappear when the going get rough like most of the man united fans on this board and in general. Some of us here actually used some grey matter to develop valid reasons for liking a side and happy to see it come good. In other words, some of us here actually prefer to write history... not read history. 

relax yuhself and ride with de old talk (not banter) and stop embarassing yuhself with the vitriol nuh man.

When Chelsea loss yuh all up in that thread. Chelsea going and cut allyuh ass in a few weeks and we going and flood this thread and then we going and come back and do dis damn ting all over again next year.

it not that serious!

lol I knew you would have like the you lot part... I never went to school and learnt to use the word "allyuh" instead... sorry that I'm educated... you always quick to call out a trini when they using better words.. where do you live again? didnt you leave your beloved country?

Secondly, I was 8 when Yorkie signed... I have been an absolute die hard since 1998..at 8 years old... not many can boast that... I've never supported another team in my life..I've been to Old Trafford twice(traveled with a friend at age 17 to see my team)..I've seen United in New Jersey for a pre season after convincing my uncle and dad to drive 12 hours from Canada to go see United... I'm not rich and can afford the luxary of going to see United every season but determination prevailed and I got the job done

I talk the talk and walk the walk so dont ever question my loyalty.. the man who supports Chelsea and Barca giving me talk...

I dont follow any other sport as hard as Football... Trinidad and Tobago and Manchester United.. and England when their not playing T&T...

And it is that serious... If you were a loyal die hard you would know

Glory Glory rentboy
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:27:45 AM by Small Magician aka Wazza »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: March 12, 2010, 11:29:13 AM »
Look, you have to give the protesting fans some credit.  Yes they winning, but they are being realistic. Winning is not everything. Portmouth just went into receivership. Someone mentioned Leeds UTD. A couple years ago Spurs and the Alan Sugar commesse(correct me on that). With all the financial crap going on with regular businesses(AIG), country(Greece) and clubs, they are expressing their concern about ManU top heavy financial situation. The fans are the liveblood of football clubs.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: March 12, 2010, 11:46:07 AM »
Portsmouth went into admin becuz they were badly run financially and there was no rich sugar daddy to bail dem out. There will always be someone willing to bail out united. If the glazers defaulted on their loans 2day there would be billionaires queueing up 2 take over. In spite of all the debt, the glazers know that they can end up selling united eventually 4 a massive profit, to someone who wants the club as a luxury item, not as a business.

Now every1 over here rockin green and gold scarves. Guess TNT will jump on dat wagon soon.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: March 12, 2010, 11:55:14 AM »
Mag please if you make statements about being educated, then even for the sake of us uneducated Fans make us look good and learn to spell... or how to use grammar and syntax...!

Yes as fans we does get pound by the board as fans but I see where yuh coming from... you does obviously be on dem United Message boards and yuh passionate about your team. But make no mistake 99% of the fans on this site taking in the games just like you... through tv or the net... yuh cannot expect man on here to have the same intensity as them fans at the game or who reside in manchester or the uk or who actually at the games. When yuh call man rent boys here is jess not the same... cause we all waggonist... I does go game every year and how intense I does feel I is... I know I not a true fan as de fans in de stands who going week in and week out.... who live the red army lifestyle... eh... and I been a fan longer than you and see them live in 2 champion's league....!

Take a look at global economics First Allied Corp holding co not doing so well and we top heavy... de only thing holding us above the water level is that we income high... but de revenue eh matching we debt have incurred. We are a top flight team and we only have 1 top class striker??? No real world class defenders...? and no world class wingers....? Doh say dem men is world class if dey playing for england... cause england is boo compared to Spain, Italy, Germany, Brazil etc....! Why yuh think during the transfer window we eh buy no one really...?

Any how Glory Glory...! I will be there in a few weeks to see Chelski get dey arse buss!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: March 12, 2010, 11:59:25 AM »

Yuh talkin' some mess there breds- can't agree.  All the fans are doing is voicing some disatisfaction with what they perceive to be an owner who doesn't have the footballing interest of the club at heart, and is willing to take risks that could potentially put the club (and its fans) in a bad situation merely because it fits the financial model in the best case scenario.  I don't know all the details but what you're saying is analogous to someone working at a company with fiscally reckless management and arguably no intrinsic passion for the company's business but they're happy and smiling so long as they collecting a pay check every month.  That works for some people...but not for all.  And it IS their money unless you're naive enough to think that an organization is run on financing capital only- they're buying the team merchandise, they're buying the season tickets, Television rights are negotiated on the backs of consumers whether directly through subscriptions, or indirectly through the purchase of advertised/sponsored products which are the platform on which advertisements and ad revenue is built.  From a completely different angle/perspective, if you just look at the mere collective time and energy spent by the fans over the course of an entire season, and calculate the opportunity cost of that (and consider who in addition to the fan benefits from that), I'm sure you'd take back what you're saying.... Waggonist or not, a team is nothing without its fans, no matter how yuh try to spin it. 

He eh talkin' no mess at all. jed. Whatever the glazers do with the team's profits is not the fans' concern as long as they invest a reasonable amount of money into the team to keep it going as normal. The fans are buying into the team but they not buying the team. Once the money leave their hands, whatever they spend it on, it's no longer theirs and there is no agreement to claim any amount of ownership for any team in return for money spent in pursuit of entertainment.  The only return on the fans' investment that they should expect is an intangible one and that is the gratification of the team being a winning team.....with "history".  And any manu fan willing to make their voice be heard will gladly tell you the have that still to this day, long after their winning precedent had been set how many years ago and throughout the glazers' ownership.  manu is arguably the most popular (club) in the world, one of the wealthiest and one of the most profitable.  If AIG fall out the picture due to the world economy, another big corporation will fall right in to have their names on the front of that jersey.....wait nuh....ent dat done happen arready? Not to mention that if the glazers did decide to sell, they would pull a record-breaking price tag for the team.  Man, please.  All dem manu waggonists fussin' over nutting. This team eh folding over no time soon and the business template the the glazers using is no different from that of the previous owners  They just guilty of bringing in more debt and in a small part, by being american.  

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: March 12, 2010, 12:03:46 PM »

He eh talkin' no mess at all. jed. Whatever the glazers do with the team's profits is not the fans' concern as long as they invest a reasonable amount of money into the team to keep it going as normal. The fans are buying into the team but they not buying the team. Once the money leave their hands, whatever they spend it on, it's no longer theirs and there is no agreement to claim any amount of ownership for any team in return for money spent in pursuit of entertainment.  The only return on the fans' investment that they should expect is an intangible one and that is the gratification of the team being a winning team.....with "history".  And any manu fan willing to make their voice be heard will gladly tell you the have that still to this day, long after their winning precedent had been set how many years ago and throughout the glazers' ownership.  manu is arguably the most popular (club) in the world, one of the wealthiest and one of the most profitable.  If AIG fall out the picture due to the world economy, another big corporation will fall right in to have their names on the front of that jersey.....wait nuh....ent dat done happen arready? Not to mention that if the glazers did decide to sell, they would pull a record-breaking price tag for the team.  Man, please.  All dem manu waggonists fussin' over nutting. This team eh folding over no time soon and the business template the the glazers using is no different from that of the previous owners  They just guilty of bringing in more debt and in a small part, by being american.  

True  :beermug:

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: March 12, 2010, 12:07:04 PM »
Mag please if you make statements about being educated, then even for the sake of us uneducated Fans make us look good and learn to spell... or how to use grammar and syntax...!

Yes as fans we does get pound by the board as fans but I see where yuh coming from... you does obviously be on dem United Message boards and yuh passionate about your team. But make no mistake 99% of the fans on this site taking in the games just like you... through tv or the net... yuh cannot expect man on here to have the same intensity as them fans at the game or who reside in manchester or the uk or who actually at the games. When yuh call man rent boys here is jess not the same... cause we all waggonist... I does go game every year and how intense I does feel I is... I know I not a true fan as de fans in de stands who going week in and week out.... who live the red army lifestyle... eh... and I been a fan longer than you and see them live in 2 champion's league....!

Take a look at global economics First Allied Corp holding co not doing so well and we top heavy... de only thing holding us above the water level is that we income high... but de revenue eh matching we debt have incurred. We are a top flight team and we only have 1 top class striker??? No real world class defenders...? and no world class wingers....? Doh say dem men is world class if dey playing for england... cause england is boo compared to Spain, Italy, Germany, Brazil etc....! Why yuh think during the transfer window we eh buy no one really...?

Any how Glory Glory...! I will be there in a few weeks to see Chelski get dey arse buss!

The spelling thing was just a typo in all the excitement.  I like all the points yuh make (especially callin' all ah we "waggonists" because is true!!) and small mag forget manu was spending big money long before Abramovic came along....but maybe he just too young to remember.....but the last point yuh make is caca. Chelsea might not be firing on all cylinders right now, but we go be runnin' like a brand-new Benz up it ole trafford.  

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: March 12, 2010, 12:25:44 PM »

The spelling thing was just a typo in all the excitement.  I like all the points yuh make (especially callin' all ah we "waggonists" because is true!!) and small mag forget manu was spending big money long before Abramovic came along....but maybe he just too young to remember.....but the last point yuh make is caca. Chelsea might not be firing on all cylinders right now, but we go be runnin' like a brand-new Benz up it ole trafford.  

Breds I only kicksin dat the man eh proof read he thing... me eh trying to evoke or engage in no battle of words... Kaka yuh say... all yuh go be pleasantly surprised  :devil:

Do vex nah... I is ah TnT foot ball fan since liquid form... I learn from young how to have high expectations for meh team...  :beermug:

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: March 12, 2010, 12:46:46 PM »

Breds I only kicksin dat the man eh proof read he thing... me eh trying to evoke or engage in no battle of words... Kaka yuh say... all yuh go be pleasantly surprised  :devil:

Do vex nah... I is ah TnT foot ball fan since liquid form... I learn from young how to have high expectations for meh team...  :beermug:

I only on kicks, too, Padnah, doh take it de wrong way. (Yuh really tink I believe is a typo Small Mag make?!)  :devil:

I only givin yuh jones 'cause yuh is a certified, manu card-carrier.  :beermug:

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: March 12, 2010, 01:34:50 PM »

He eh talkin' no mess at all. jed. Whatever the glazers do with the team's profits is not the fans' concern as long as they invest a reasonable amount of money into the team to keep it going as normal.

First of all that's crap...Secondly one could argue that they didn't invest enough of the profits into the team to "keep it going as normal" (maybe they didn't even turn enough of a profit to support their massive cost structure/overhead...ask yourself why?) hence the reason they had to rely on so much debt financing and the fire sale of expensive players to remain healthy and liquid...

The fans are buying into the team but they not buying the team. Once the money leave their hands, whatever they spend it on, it's no longer theirs and there is no agreement to claim any amount of ownership for any team in return for money spent in pursuit of entertainment.  

With all due respect Mango, you can't be serious with this statement...First of all consumers don't need an agreement with the business sector on profit allocation in order to have an opinion on the use of funds and financial management of a business with which they have a vested interest.  Iz not like they asking for their money back, and they not claiming any ownership.  What are you talking about?  They're asking that the Glazers to take more of a footballing interest in the club- one that might be evidenced by less risky financing behavior and more prudent management, and possibly a greater presence at games.  That's something that is highly respected in the football world, all around not just at Man U.  One of the reasons that Chelsea fans love Abramovich is because he's actually a staunch Chelsea Supporter.  Man U fans don't feel the same way about the Glazers.  Football might be big business today, but some virtues of football club ownership have survived the decades of transformation from grassroots community based recreational clubs, to billion dollar sports and entertainment organizations...and these virtues are still given alot of value today all over the world.  An owner with an actuall footballing interest is one of them...and it is popular opinion that the Glazers are strictly business

The only return on the fans' investment that they should expect is an intangible one and that is the gratification of the team being a winning team.....with "history".  And any manu fan willing to make their voice be heard will gladly tell you the have that still to this day, long after their winning precedent had been set how many years ago and throughout the glazers' ownership.

That's not for YOU to decide

manu is arguably the most popular (club) in the world, one of the wealthiest and one of the most profitable.  If AIG fall out the picture due to the world economy, another big corporation will fall right in to have their names on the front of that jersey.....wait nuh....ent dat done happen arready? Not to mention that if the glazers did decide to sell, they would pull a record-breaking price tag for the team.  Man, please.  All dem manu waggonists fussin' over nutting. This team eh folding over no time soon and the business template the the glazers using is no different from that of the previous owners  They just guilty of bringing in more debt and in a small part, by being american.  

If you don't think they have anything to worry about from a financial point of view, then ok...I don't know too much intricate details, but I want to agree that a club like Man U will be a financially healthy going-concern institution til the end of time.  I can't agree though that a fan who takes a deeper interest in the running of his club off the field is labeled a waggonist.  That's a baffling irony....I also can't agree that the consumer shouldn't have voice, based on standards that YOU (who has never walked a minute in their shoes) determine are appropriate from what is obviously a very biased point of view

Yuh bias ringing clear here dread...because alot of what you're saying either lacks any sort of compassion for an honest fan with reasonable intentions, or simply doesn't make sense. 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:17:30 PM by kicker »

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: March 12, 2010, 01:37:34 PM »
yuh cannot expect man on here to have the same intensity as them fans at the game or who reside in manchester or the uk or who actually at the games. When yuh call man rent boys here is jess not the same... cause we all waggonist...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

i eh know where he get dis rent boys ting from, like daz how dey does cuss out each other on some of dem internet premiership supporter sites.  :rotfl:

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: March 12, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »
Kicker, I never tried to argue that their business model made good financial sense....if United were a real business, the fans should be very worried. Most other clubs would be in trouble. But if Man City and Chelsea are worthy of billionaire owners, then Man U have nothing to worry about.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: March 12, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »
Kicker, I never tried to argue that their business model made good financial sense....if United were a real business, the fans should be very worried. Most other clubs would be in trouble. But if Man City and Chelsea are worthy of billionaire owners, then Man U have nothing to worry about.

I hear you, and I tend to agree with that.  But from what I understand, the fans aren't "worried" per se.  I don't think that Man U fans are predicting a financial collapse of their club.  They are protesting an ownership style that does not sync well with what they believe the club stands for- The risky methods of financing being just one indicator of the unsettling mismatch of interests.  Chelsea fans probably can't relate because at the end of the day Abramovic is a football man..and the fans love him because in addition to his massive pockets, they believe that he has the club's footballing interest at heart...evidenced largely by his presence at many games, and his emotional reactions to Chelsea's footballing fortunes.  Can you say the same about the Glazers?   

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: March 12, 2010, 02:33:23 PM »

I hear you, and I tend to agree with that.  But from what I understand, the fans aren't "worried" per se.  I don't think that Man U fans are predicting a financial collapse of their club.  They are protesting an ownership style that does not sync well with what they believe the club stands for- The risky methods of financing being just one indicator of the unsettling mismatch of interests.  Chelsea fans probably can't relate because at the end of the day Abramovic is a football man..and the fans love him because in addition to his massive pockets, they believe that he has the club's footballing interest at heart...evidenced largely by his presence at many games, and his emotional reactions to Chelsea's footballing fortunes.  Can you say the same about the Glazers?   

If Chelsea won the Champs League, the fans wouldnt care less if it was Bin Laden who owned de club, lol. I agree that there is probably a small proportion of those United fans who have thought this through and have genuine reasons for wanting the Glazers out...but the rest just liking de scarves and jumpin on a bandwagon dat sounds like a just cause.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: March 12, 2010, 03:11:55 PM »

If Chelsea won the Champs League, the fans wouldnt care less if it was Bin Laden who owned de club, lol. I agree that there is probably a small proportion of those United fans who have thought this through and have genuine reasons for wanting the Glazers out...but the rest just liking de scarves and jumpin on a bandwagon dat sounds like a just cause.

lol arrite...kinda sounds like any movement to me though.

Wha bout I din' know the significance of the scarves at first and in the earlies when I see the setta green and yellow, I was beatin' up my head to make the connection between Man U & Brazil... ;D

Offline xixgon

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: March 12, 2010, 04:15:45 PM »

lol arrite...kinda sounds like any movement to me though.

Wha bout I din' know the significance of the scarves at first and in the earlies when I see the setta green and yellow, I was beatin' up my head to make the connection between Man U & Brazil... ;D

The point about the Glazers is that Utd would have been successful without their presence at the club - the difference now is that the club is in massive debt whilst the Glazers siphon money that's been achieved on the backs of the club's name and the player's efforts - whilst they themselves have put in nothing of their own.

The plain fact of the matter is that the Glazers have put Utd in a worse position without actually contributing much to the team - the fact that they're American (and Americans were viewed warily even before all the recent scandals in their financial industry broke out) doesn't help their cause at all - nor their apparent disinterest in football in general.

Fans have been protesting the Glazer's being at Utd since they first took over, indeed even David Gill (who's the biggest joke of a cheerleader for the Glazers right now) said in an interview in regards to an initial Glazer approach at the time:-

Can you explain the reason why the Board have terminated discussions with the Glazer family?

"I think it is down to this simple reason: We have been looking at the proposals the Glazer family made, analysing them with our advisors, and the key aspect of that proposal was the level of debt they were going to use in order to make their offer. We felt as a Board that that level of debt, coupled with their business plan, meant it was an unattractive proposal. We’ve seen many examples of debt in football over the years and the difficulties it causes. We know what that means and we think that is inappropriate for this business. We need to have a sensible structure for the Board to take the club forward."

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=119193&page=1

Not really sure what's changed since then - only difference is that Gill likes his job and he didn't have much choice in the takeover with Utd unfortunately being a publicly traded company. Clearly no figurehead wants to come out and criticize the Glazers, even if they may feel otherwise, at least whilst the club is successful on the pitch (and/or they're under their employ). If the club was suffering on the pitch the voices of dissent would likely be much louder, and boycotts might actually have a chance of becoming reality.

The club is winning now though in spite of the Glazers, not because of them. Most were predicting a significant drop off by Utd this season, and perhaps even a steady decline out of the elite - Ferguson and Rooney have guided the team to the top of the table and a convincing place in the quarters of the CL despite not much recruitment after losing one of the best players in the world.

Many fans are only now beginning to realise the scale and scope of the financial position the Glazers have put the club in. Utd may never go under, but that's not the point - fans have a right to protest if the club is being used as a piggy bank by a bunch of fat cats. Ferguson may not complain because he's a football man - once he gets money when he feels he wants and can afford someone and the Glazers don't interfere with him - he's not going to care about the figures.

Fans may have been naive before, but it's better late than never to express a justified displeasure (even if it may be futile) - caring about your club to that extent is not a bad thing. I've supported Utd since I was 9 yrs old, before the first season of the Premier League - I've felt the passion of the fans both in neutral venues and at Old Trafford. The history of Utd and it's support deserves better than this - football may be a business, but the Glazers are running Utd along the lines of a shady Fortune 500 company.

The membership of MUST is now at 100,000 + (more than Utd's official membership scheme) - long may it continue :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:20:02 PM by xixgon »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: March 12, 2010, 04:29:42 PM »
good informative post.  :beermug:

1]; } ?>