April 29, 2024, 09:06:43 AM

Author Topic: The Stretford End- Home of the Champions  (Read 923997 times)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: The Stretford End- Home of the Champions
« Reply #3060 on: May 18, 2011, 09:37:45 AM »
Exceptional! No good teams without a great goalkeeper.
Brazil 1970 exception  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

giggsy11

« Reply #3061 on: May 18, 2011, 06:27:05 PM »
Hernandez wins United fan player of the year award while Nani won the players' player award of the year. Happy for Nani that his teamates recognized his contributions to the team. It would have been nice if may be he could have won it with Berba, because I think Nani and Berbatov carried that team when Roonay was in his own little head space!

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: May 19, 2011, 06:55:13 PM »
Paul Scholes ponders another year at United but prepares to exit left

Manchester United's 36-year-old looks to be heading for his final home game for the club, against Blackpool on Sunday

For now, all that can be said for certain is that there will be no great fanfare. If it is true, and Paul Scholes really is to confirm the growing suspicion that he is leaving football, we all know he would rather slip away quietly. A few short lines on Manchester United's website, perhaps. Maybe a brief appearance on MUTV – the usual stuff about it being a privilege to play for the club, wishing everyone well, thanking Sir Alex Ferguson and the supporters. What we should not expect is for Sky's cameras to be invited into his living room at Saddleworth. Or a staged sit-down on the back lawn with the three little redheads – Arron, Alicia and Aiden – playing in the background.

This is one of the things the game's true lovers admire about Scholes: he thinks all that side of football is, well, bullshit. He will not be looking for a newspaper deal to make a few quid. We can forget about him popping up in the television studio every Saturday afternoon with Jeff and Phil and the others. Heck, he does not even have an agent.

Strangely enough, Scholes has always held that old-fashioned view that footballers should be judged on their touch, their passing, and their desire to want the ball when the heat of the battle is close to intolerable. Not the car they drive down Deansgate. Or the VIP passes that are pressed into their hands. Or their number of Twitter followers. Scholes's routine was always refreshingly old-school: "Train in the morning, pick up my children from school, play with them, have tea, put them to bed and then watch a bit of TV."

But this is now the time when Scholes, that rare treasure, has to contemplate whether it might be time to go, and that it is always better for a personally choreographed exit rather than someone else pointing it out. Gary Neville, three months younger, has already taken that jump and now it is Scholes's turn to decide whether to cut himself free before there is even the slightest possibility that he can place at risk one of football's great reputations.

Scholes will be 37 three months into the new season. His testimonial is pencilled in for the first week of August. The following month, Paul Scholes: My Story hits the bookshops. Hearing he has written a book feels strangely out of keeping with the rest of Scholes's life until further investigation reveals it will be dominated with photographs rather than his words. Naturally.

A testimonial, then a book ... these feel like telling clues. In previous seasons Scholes has always signed a new contract by April at the latest. It is now the third week of May and he has still not announced his decision. The club now do not expect one until June and, increasingly, there is the sense at Old Trafford that this could really be it. If Scholes plays against Blackpool on Sunday, his 675th appearance for the club could very well be his last in a competitive fixture at Old Trafford.

What a player the sport would be losing. What a footballer. Scholes in his pomp gave the impression he could land the ball in a bucket from 60 yards. Scholes made sure games were played at his tempo. Those passes could instantly change the direction of a match. He was someone who made football look mesmeric. More than that, he reminded us a pass can be every bit as beautiful as, say, a 25-yard shot into the top corner. But there were plenty of those, too. Scholes always had a ferocious shot and an eye for the spectacular, with 150 goals for the club.

Zinedine Zidane has talked of him being "undoubtedly the greatest midfielder of his generation". Xavi Hernández has said the same. Thierry Henry, too. Marcello Lippi, a World Cup-winning manager, was asked about Scholes once and replied: "He would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team – that's how highly I rate him."

Then there are the people who have seen him close up. Rio Ferdinand says: "He'll do ridiculous things in training like say: 'You see that tree over there?' – it'll be 40 yards away – 'I'm going to hit it.' And he'll do it. Everyone at the club considers him the best."

There is no argument, either, from Sir Bobby Charlton, a man with nearly 60 years in the game. "Many great players have worn the shirt of Manchester United. Players I worshipped then lost with my youth in Munich. Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Alex Ferguson era. And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite."

In total, Scholes has won 10 league titles, one European Cup, three FA Cups and two League Cups as well as 66 England caps, although it should have been well over 100.

He finished with international football seven years ago, at the age of 29, fed up of being squeezed out of the area of the team where he could properly spread his feathers. Every England manager since has tried, and failed, to talk him back. In hindsight, they probably should have tried hypnotising him.

His problem these days is that the legs can fail him. The vision is still there, the uncommon ability to pick out a pass, long or short, to understand the angles of a football pitch, always to want the ball and, unfailingly, to know the best thing to do with it – a man, to borrow that elegant line from Patrick Barclay, who plays with "a hundred years of football in his blood".

But Scholes has always been captive to his craft. He has his bad matches, when his touch deserts him, and there is a look of something close to self-revulsion on his face. Which is part of the issue. He wants to be seen – or to see himself – as someone who can still make an impact, and not just when passes are going astray and Ferguson introduces him to re-establish some form of control. Scholes has found it difficult drifting to the edges, playing the odd 20 minutes here and there, decorating matches rather than dominating them.

He has already stayed on longer than he anticipated. In 2008 Scholes talked openly of having "two years left at the most". Ferguson, however, thinks the midfielder can last one more season. United's manager is a man of great persuasive powers and Scholes will know him well enough to realise he is not saying it for the sake of sentimentality.

Equally, though, the sporting world is full of heroic figures who have blundered badly when deciding the time to retire. As Sugar Ray Robinson once said: "You always say, 'I'll quit when I slide.' Then, one morning, you wake up and you've slid." Neville could tell his old mate the same. Whatever happens next, there is one certainty: it will be the hardest question Scholes has had to ask himself in his professional life.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/may/19/paul-scholes-manchester-united-possible-retirement

Sad but I think he will end his career this season... what a Legend.. the best midfielder the prem has ever seen and definitely in the top 5 Central Midfielders over the last 2 decades ... Irreplaceable

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: May 19, 2011, 10:54:43 PM »
Sad but I think he will end his career this season... what a Legend.. the best midfielder the prem has ever seen and definitely in the top 5 Central Midfielders over the last 2 decades ... Irreplaceable

Agreed... that article is high praise, but hard to say it's not deserved.  Always was one of my favorite players in the EPL... was sad the past several years seeing him lose a step, which added to his penchant for poor decision making at times resulted in so many yellows.  But the passing... class  :beermug:

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: May 20, 2011, 11:44:40 AM »

Technique technique technique... The guy was like a text book on how to strike the ball.  Range, variability, accuracy... Really a gem of a player.

He was the english version of Xavi in many ways...take away some of the tricks and guile, then add a rocket of a shot.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: May 20, 2011, 11:58:51 AM »
 :notworthy: min 3:16 . But the Greatest and most important for me is against Barcelona. EDIT: Alyuh see that last goal on the clip,  :o 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rx_oM60tkv0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rx_oM60tkv0</a>
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:02:51 PM by D.H.W »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: May 20, 2011, 12:35:52 PM »
Yeh Scholes knows how to hit it cleanly.
Only BULLET. 
And I think it's great when a player stays at a club for their entire careers.

giggsy11

« Reply #3067 on: May 21, 2011, 08:56:11 AM »
:notworthy: min 3:16 . But the Greatest and most important for me is against Barcelona. EDIT: Alyuh see that last goal on the clip,  :o 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rx_oM60tkv0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rx_oM60tkv0</a>

Love yuh Scholesy!  :applause: :applause: :applause:

giggsy11

« Reply #3068 on: May 21, 2011, 09:17:37 AM »
I love his goal scoring but for me it is his passing and touches that makes him world class and special. He can make any pass with either foot!

http://youtu.be/69gwR8CcTL0

Started off as a number 10 and later moved to midfield. That guy just knows how to find the V!

http://youtu.be/UKFuBWky3xU
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 09:43:10 AM by Giggsy11 »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: May 21, 2011, 10:10:21 AM »
the passing on the second video is breath taking . edit : i know the barca men still hurting from that bullet  :devil:

another thing you all see how that man does strike a ball , lawd , real clean.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 10:15:50 AM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

giggsy11

« Reply #3070 on: May 21, 2011, 07:37:26 PM »
Imogen Thomas admits she's been "tempted" to reveal married footballer's name

Big Brother beauty Imogen Thomas today admitted that she has been tempted to reveal the name of the married Premier League footballer she had an affair with.

The tearful 28-year-old says she is “hated” by the public and is so upset by the backlash that she has considered outing the star.

Her comments come 24 hours after she was accused of blackmailing the top footballer for £100,000 over their affair.

The allegation came as a High Court judge explained why he had extended the original injunction barring the Premier League star from being named.

Naming the footballer could land the ex-reality star in jail.

In an interview on This Morning, host Phillip Schofield asked Imogen: "Are you tempted just to say his name out loud?"

Imogen replied: "You know I'm so upset by what I've been called, I've been so tempted just to say 'yeah, it is that person' because why should I be taking all this flack and him get away with everything basically.

“His life is as normal... I don't know what he's going through at home, none of us know."

Talking about the reaction she has received from the public, Imogen added: "Well I haven't really been out yet but I'm absolutely hated.

“I've had lots of football fans telling me to die on Twitter. And yes, I can close my Twitter account down but why should I be doing that as well.

“I try not to read the stuff I mean I will not read the newspapers from now on - it's just too upsetting. My mum is in bits over this.”

Following yesterday’s High Court judgement, Imogen stormed: “Yet again, my name and my reputation are being trashed while the man I had a relationship with is able to hide. Where’s the fairness in this? What about my reputation?”

She added: “If this is the way privacy injunctions are supposed to work, then there’s something seriously wrong with the law.”

High Court judge Mr Justice Eady said there was evidence to suggest the model made a number of demands in a showdown with the player at a hotel in April, four months after their fling ended.

The judgement said how the star refused to part with the money, but gave her a signed football shirt and match day tickets instead.

The revelations emerged as the judge revealed the reasons why he had granted the injunction last month.

Glamour model Imogen claimed the relationship lasted six months, but the footballer insists they only met three times.

Justice Eady explained in the judgement that the court had to consider the player’s privacy rights under European law.

He said after hotel meetings this year with Ms Thomas, the footballer started to “smell a rat”.

Various text messages from her led him to believe she was thinking of selling her story.

“She told him she wanted, or ‘needed’, a payment from him of £55,000,” said the judge.

He added that after a couple of other reluctant meetings the player began to suspect he was being

“set up” so photographs could be taken.

On April 12, the judge said, the footballer told her he wanted nothing more to do with her.

Justice Eady said: “By this time, however, she made it clear that she was looking for £110,000.”

He added: “The evidence appeared to strongly suggest that the footballer was being blackmailed, although that is not how he put it himself.”

So Forbes magzine has an article on their website, and named him. Let's just say he wears number 11.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: May 21, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »
the passing on the second video is breath taking . edit : i know the barca men still hurting from that bullet  :devil:

Nah, too busy celebratin de two champion league titles won since den  :devil:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

giggsy11

« Reply #3072 on: May 21, 2011, 08:12:57 PM »

You only won in 2009. Hope you not counting 2011.  :shameonyou:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: May 21, 2011, 08:16:51 PM »

i need a middle finger emoticon  :waiting:
Youtube Channel

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: May 22, 2011, 08:07:59 AM »

You only won in 2009. Hope you not counting 2011:shameonyou:

Great minds think alike  :devil:

i need a middle finger emoticon  :waiting:

:rotfl:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:10:18 AM by 100% Barataria »
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

giggsy11

« Reply #3075 on: May 22, 2011, 09:05:06 AM »
Need Berba to score at least two today for that Golden boot! He deserves some individual reward for his contribution this season.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: May 22, 2011, 09:23:07 AM »
lord look at berba chest that ball and pass it off  :o , that man have some bess touch dread
Youtube Channel

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: May 22, 2011, 10:23:30 AM »
No offense to the Man U massive..allyuh already win the league - it would be magical to see Blackpool survive the drop at Old Trafford...

giggsy11

« Reply #3078 on: May 22, 2011, 10:28:43 AM »
All yuh see Scholes point at Nani telling him that the pass coming and laid on a plate for him? Skills!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: May 22, 2011, 10:36:57 AM »
All yuh see Scholes point at Nani telling him that the pass coming and laid on a plate for him? Skills!
laser guided! edit: own goal blackpool, they aint helping they self.
Youtube Channel

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: May 22, 2011, 10:40:52 AM »
That Evatt soldier who scored the own goal deserves all the sympathy the world can offer at this point. 

How I would hate to be him right now

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: May 22, 2011, 10:42:31 AM »
Owen seals it...game over.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: May 22, 2011, 10:43:53 AM »
OWEN! that fellah is such a good player, pitty he get all them injuries.
Youtube Channel

giggsy11

« Reply #3083 on: May 22, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Berba's nerves have gotten the best of him today! Geezanages!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: May 22, 2011, 11:04:25 AM »
ALL HAIL EDWIN!!  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: TOP CLASS
Youtube Channel

giggsy11

« Reply #3085 on: May 22, 2011, 11:14:24 AM »
Ando finshed the season strong; hope he can continue on!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: May 22, 2011, 12:11:54 PM »

Youtube Channel

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: May 22, 2011, 12:17:21 PM »
Congrats guys, you got 1 trophy this season, well deserved

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #3088 on: May 22, 2011, 05:42:32 PM »
Congrats Man U  :beermug:
but watch out..with no European games we challenging next season
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: May 22, 2011, 08:08:04 PM »
Congrats Man U  :beermug:
but watch out..with no European games we challenging next season
Yea we will wqatch you all challenge Man.C, Chelski, Arsenal and Tottenham for second  ;D

1]; } ?>