March 28, 2024, 04:12:50 AM

Author Topic: The Stretford End- Home of the Champions  (Read 911107 times)

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Re: The Stretford End- Home of the Champions
« Reply #5220 on: September 30, 2013, 07:54:58 AM »
Moyes 'rejected' Fergie's advice.

David Moyes rejected Sir Alex Ferguson's advice to retain his Manchester United backroom team, according to Eric Steele.

Former United goalkeeping coach Steele was axed by Moyes in the close season, along with assistant manager Mike Phelan and first-team coach Rene Meulensteen.

Moyes chose to bring Chris Woods, Steve Round and Jimmy Lumsden with him from Everton, whilst also appointing former United and Toffees midfielder Phil Neville in his first full-time coaching role.

United's 2-1 home defeat by West Brom on Saturday means the club has now made its worst start to a league season for 24 years.

With the pressure already on Moyes right from the start of his Old Trafford reign, Steele has now revealed how the summers changes were handled.

"He spoke to me, Mick and Rene," Steele is quoted as telling fanzine United We Stand. "I told him I thought it was a brave decision.

"He (Moyes) listened to the manager's advice, but he wanted to be his own man."
Eric Steele
"He listened to the manager's advice, but he wanted to be his own man."

Steele arrived at United in 2008, having previously worked at Manchester City, and is credited with turning David De Gea into one of the league's best goalkeepers after a shaky start.

The 59-year-old says he respects Moyes' decision but is not convinced it was right for the club.

"I didn't want to leave. Why would I?" he added. "I knew that David was coming in and wondered who he'd bring.

"You had the United perspective - the manager saying, 'Keep what we've got, keep the continuity, work with them and they'll guide you through. You're taking on a massive machine here. You've gone from Marks and Spencer's to Harrods.'

"Then there's David's viewpoint, which I understand. I know him professionally. I know his work ethic, his hands-on approach.

Sunday Supplement panel on United
"I don't blame him for doing what he did. I've been in the game long enough to know how it is.

"But it's ironic, isn't it? You've just been part of a team that has had a great season and won the league. David De Gea's had his best season. Does it make sense that you're not retained to continue the good work? Sadly, that's out of my hands."

Winners remain

United find themselves in 12th spot in the Premier League table after six games, eight points off the pace set by leaders Arsenal.

Despite the upheaval at Old Trafford, Steele still thinks the personnel in Moyes' squad will start producing better results.

"There were massive changes - the manager, chief executive, Scholes retiring and the coaches," said Steele.

"But there are enough players in that dressing room to win when it really starts.

"My time was up, I'm proud of what I did at United and I have great memories."
Skysports.com

Damn Goat!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: September 30, 2013, 08:09:24 AM »
... makes it a different club. Aside from the players, where's the institutional memory and retained wisdom? Easy to say iz de same players, but the culture of the team has shifted. That has to be an influential factor.

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: September 30, 2013, 08:18:03 AM »
 Why would Moyes keep any of them on ? they are Fergie's staff... Moyes is hands on and that would have limited Rene's and Phelan's role alot.....obviously Round and Jimmy know their roles around Moyes... Rene and Phelan strike me as 2 proper pricks and I reckon things could have gone wrong internally If they feel they are not being used sufficiently....

It is a common thing for the gaffer to bring his staff....the 3 axed men need to shut the f**k up and secure some jobs themselves or else they might as well become journos because all they are doing is media these days ..... If they were so magical like everyone is crying about then why are they still unemployed ?

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: September 30, 2013, 10:06:35 AM »
They are Wayyy better assistant coaches than those pricks Moyes brought in, with their limited ideas and experience from lower leagues. Just to add another goat.. Neville of all people on that staff!! This club is not Everton, the sooner he realize that, the sooner we will be playing a better style of football.

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: September 30, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »
They are Wayyy better assistant coaches than those pricks Moyes brought in, with their limited ideas and experience from lower leagues. Just to add another goat.. Neville of all people on that staff!! This club is not Everton, the sooner he realize that, the sooner we will be playing a better style of football.

ok boss

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: September 30, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »
Biggest loss was Rene Meulensteen.  His methods were supposedly very popular with players like Van Persie, who spoke of him highly.  Thing is that Moyes is a whistle-in-mouth kind of manager, who runs his own sessions.  There would have been conflict and no room for Meulensteen.  Fergie stopped running sessions eons ago.  He just used to let his staff conduct it and observe from the sidelines.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: September 30, 2013, 02:02:52 PM »
Moyes in charge now.  He has to run things the way he sees fit.

Last thing he need is Fergie loyalists questioning why things are done a certain way

All actions have consequences and Moyes will either be successful or not.  Only time will tell.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: September 30, 2013, 03:16:22 PM »
Moyes in charge now.  He has to run things the way he sees fit.

Last thing he need is Fergie loyalists questioning why things are done a certain way

All actions have consequences and Moyes will either be successful or not.  Only time will tell.

Agreed.  He did not want to be in the shadow of Sir Alex.  Problem is that right now, the team is experiencing withdrawal symptoms, after being under the helm of a manager for so long, and with much success. 

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: October 01, 2013, 10:27:13 AM »
meanwhile - seems all is well at Everton
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: October 01, 2013, 12:15:34 PM »
meanwhile - seems all is well at Everton
I wonder why...

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: October 02, 2013, 02:02:58 PM »
Fellaini keeps giving away the ball, he just don't look the part.  While writing this he gets booked ..Anderson over him anyday.

Edit: he's taken off in the 65"...replaced by Giggs.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:08:42 PM by triniairman »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: October 02, 2013, 02:17:26 PM »
f**k
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: October 02, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »

If is any consolation, Man City losing to Bayern....  ::)
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: October 02, 2013, 02:40:20 PM »
We just played Brazil!!

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: October 05, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »
We losing again at the moment to the bottom placed team who has not won a game for the season. We should be atleast 3 nil down. I'm sticking to my guns.. Moyes is not the man for this job. Waiting for him to make me eat my words.

Edit: we won 2-1. We had to fight hard for that. Moyes playing he have big balls and starting Adnan, luckily it payed off. This kid got some heart and never gave up.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 12:37:26 PM by triniairman »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5235 on: October 05, 2013, 12:32:22 PM »
We losing again at the moment to the bottom placed team who has not won a game for the season. We should be atleast 3 nil down. I'm sticking to my guns.. Moyes is not the man for this job. Waiting for him to make me eat my words.

Moyes isn't responsible for Vidic miskicking the ball to get an assist on that Sunderland goal.  Plus, looks like he got the squad selection spot-on... Januzaj saves the day.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: October 05, 2013, 12:36:07 PM »

Moyes isn't responsible for Vidic miskicking the ball to get an assist on that Sunderland goal.  Plus, looks like he got the squad selection spot-on... Januzaj saves the day.
We struggled against that team. The selection in my opinion was poor. We were lucky today.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: October 19, 2013, 09:54:22 AM »
The lack of Fergie Moyes time is troublesome.
Oh, and the dropping of points.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: October 19, 2013, 09:59:47 AM »
Shit line up, shit tactics, shit player (Fellaini), and shitty ass coach.. Who disagree, I don't care, that's your opinion. You can give Moyes time, I say fire his ass, unfortunately that's not happening soon enough.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: October 20, 2013, 07:31:21 AM »
Shit line up, shit tactics, shit player (Fellaini), and shitty ass coach.. Who disagree, I don't care, that's your opinion. You can give Moyes time, I say fire his ass, unfortunately that's not happening soon enough.

and i repeat :

I dont think we should bring in any Everton players period. I dont know if they are United caliber. We should look to move forward and not backwards. How are we going to compete against the other teams who are bringing in quality. How we facing barca with Messi and Neymar in CL?

"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: October 22, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »
Fergie's autobiography is out!

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: October 22, 2013, 06:53:06 PM »
a 6 minute tactical analysis of some of the weaknesses in Moyes' new system, with also touching on how it fared against Southampton's 4-2-3-1.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: October 24, 2013, 07:15:26 AM »
we win a game YAY!

Kawaga was really good linking up with giggs and Rooney. He needs to take the opportunities presented to score though.

to be honest - i thought we would've lost though.
(Muslim)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: October 24, 2013, 08:11:18 AM »
mid-table united :beermug:
I pity the fool....

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: October 24, 2013, 09:43:34 AM »
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: October 25, 2013, 12:31:50 PM »
I didn't even know about this, but this quote was taken from Ferguson's 2007 book, 'A Will To Win':

On alleged racial abuse

"A flare up on Saturday between [Peter] Schmeichel and [Ian] Wright has spilled into the newspapers. There's been a complaint to the FA that our goalkeeper racially abused the Arsenal man… The whole business of racial abuse seems to have got out of hand these days. A few years back, when Paul Ince was involved in an incident at Wembley once, I asked him why he got so upset when someone called him black. After all, he frequently referred to me as a Scottish so-and-so, so what was the difference? He told me the Scots aren't a race; naturally I had to remind him that we are in fact the master race!"

"Of course we should never forget dreadful events like the Holocaust, the nationalistic wars of Eastern Europe and the genocide in Africa, but I think we are past all that in this country. It doesn't help when people manufacture so-called racial incidents out of an everyday clash between two strong-minded players in the heat of a match. I hope no one at the FA is going to pander to this complaint, which is simply someone trying to make a mountain out of a molehill."

Read more at Talksport...

Then from the latest book he's not only taking swipes at Liverpool ("they're about 8 players short of making a run at the title"), but also personal shots at Gerrard ("he's not a 'top top player' ") and Jordan Henderson ("he has a funny gait, running with a straight back, which will cause him fitness issues later on").   The potshots at the player are unnecessary.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: October 25, 2013, 01:12:13 PM »
a 6 minute tactical analysis of some of the weaknesses in Moyes' new system, with also touching on how it fared against Southampton's 4-2-3-1.

Interesting video but if anything, it glaringly highlights the effect of the whole "Fergie Factor" which has nothing to do with Moyes or his tactics at all.

Looking at the video and the amount of bodies Southampton were willing to commit forward and press Man Utd high, it is almost like they had zero fear and really believed they could win that game.

I am sure had Fergie been there, Soton was going to Old Trafford with that kinda gung ho.. In fact how many times in the past have we seen teams go up one or two goals on Man United and retreat into a shell in the second half to try to hold a result and get punished for it.

Sides smelling blood with Man United right now.

Of course, i'm thoroughly enjoying it week after week.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: October 26, 2013, 08:45:42 AM »
I came to see if KJ would play.
I stayed to see Man U go behind... twice!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: October 26, 2013, 09:28:18 AM »
somebody going to lose they wuk soon
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W