March 28, 2024, 04:50:04 PM

Author Topic: The Stretford End- Home of the Champions  (Read 911487 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Stretford End- Home of the Champions
« Reply #5790 on: June 13, 2015, 11:21:57 AM »
Man U teen star shines for Brazil
By Michael Burgess (The New Zealand Herald).

Andreas Pereira (left) has signed a new contract with Manchester United.

At any Under-20 World Cup, it's always difficult to identify who will go on to bigger and better things, but Andreas Pereira might be a sure bet.

The Brazilian midfielder, in action in today's quarter-finals against Portugal, is already well on the way.

He's been at Manchester United since he was 15 and made his Premier League debut in March.

After being named the club's under-21 player of the year, he recently signed a new contract with the Red Devils until the end of the 2017-18 season.

Old Trafford. The Theatre of Dreams. England's most successful club and the second-most valuable football team in the world. A global brand worth an estimated $2 billion, and a worldwide supporter base measured in millions.

Pereira shares a dressing room with Wayne Rooney and Angel De Maria and trains alongside Robin Van Persie and Nani.

"In the beginning for me, it was like, 'wow', a shock," said Pereira, who does not turn 20 until January. "But after a while, you get used to it and they are just normal people. They help you."

There are almost 40 players in the wider Manchester United squad, from established professionals to hopeful youngsters.

Competition for places is fierce but Pereira has been impressed with the mentoring and mateship.

"Everyone is competing for a spot but, if they see a young player who can be a good player, they help you," said Pereira. "They speak with me, tell me what to do and what not to do ... We're more like a family club."

Pereira was born and raised in Belgium, where his father spent more than a decade playing professionally. By the age of nine, he was in the PSV Eindhoven system in Holland before Alex Ferguson convinced him to move to Manchester in 2011. At the same time, he was representing Belgium at youth level, turning out for their under-15, under-16 and under-17 teams, although he later opted for Brazil.

He has progressed well through the ranks at United, culminating in facing Spurs in the Premier League in March.

"It was like a dream come true," he told British media. "To be fair, when I came on the pitch, it looked like I was dreaming. I felt like I was playing a video game then, afterwards, I got used to it. I didn't think about getting tired as I was just running as hard as I can."

The tournament in New Zealand can only help his cause, with United staff likely to be watching.

Pereira has impressed, particularly against Hungary in the second group match. He set up Brazil's equaliser before stepping up to slot their winning penalty in the 86th minute. But those in yellow shirts, especially the playmakers, need broad shoulders.

"There is a lot of pressure in that position," said Pereira. "But even when you put the jersey on, you have a lot of pressure. Brazil has [the reputation] so we have to do well, otherwise people are going to talk and won't be happy."
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:35:45 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: June 14, 2015, 08:00:15 AM »
Sweating now @ Old Trafford: Man Utd Legends v Bayern Legends. Scholes just uncharacteristically made a boo boo. Nice size crowd. Men like Paul Breitner in the house. A certain legend born in Tobago just had a golden chance.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 08:03:46 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: June 14, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »
Redemption: Yorke scrambles one over the line. Cole also notches one. 3-2 MU @ the half. As fitting the occasion, everybody smiling.

Match ends 4-2 in favour of the home team. (7-5 on aggregate).

Man Utd IX:
Van der Saar, Phil Neville, Johnsen, Stam, Silvestre, Park, Scholes, Fortune, Yorke, Saha, Cole.

Bench: van der Gouw, Irwin, Blackmore, Martin, Beardsmore, Poborsky, Thrornley, Blomqvist, Ritchie, Dion Dublin

Bayern: Butt, Jorginho, van Buyten, R. Kovac, Pfluger, van Bommel, Breitner, N. Kovac, Paulo Sergio, Makaay, Zickler

Bench: Junghans, Kreuzer, Tarnat, Schupp, Zimmerman, Gaudino, Sternkopf, Witeczek, M. Rummenigge
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:42:51 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: June 14, 2015, 02:43:08 PM »
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: June 28, 2015, 03:01:22 PM »
Dwight Yorke: United need three signings
Vavel.com

Manchester United legend Dwight Yorke has expressed his opinion on who he thinks his former club need to sign in this transfer window to benefit them before next season starts.

The ex-striker stated that Manchester United don't need to look for a replacement for the Spaniard David de Gea as he thinks that free transfer Victor Valdes, who signed with the club in January, will be able to fill the gap the de Gea will leave if he does complete his move to Real Madrid.
Valdes is an option for United

Yorke says that “Victor Valdes thinks he would have a good opportunity" because he has a "wealth of experience and has won everything in the game", making him "a suitable candidate and fill that gap."

“The likes of Petr Cech could have been a candidate to replace De Gea but the fact that De Gea still remains at Manchester United shows a deal has not been done.”

Three players needed for success at Old Trafford

Yorke believes that United need to sign three players in order to compete for a better position in next seasons Premier League. A defender is needed to stabilise the defence and sure it up if the first-choice keeper does vacate Old Trafford, a defensive midfielder is needed to keep the midfield and the gap between defenders in check as United were weak in that position all of last season, and finally, a striker to fix that lack of goals from last season.

A defender that United have been linked with recently is Sergio Ramos but all of the rumours regarding the pricing of the defender leave the transfer looking unlikely.

A good defender is needed in the United team and he would be a good inclusion, even with his rash style of tackling.

Another defensive midfielder is needed in the United ranks as when Michael Carrick is vacant from the starting 11, the team looks lost and there is no protection from the midfield for the defence.

Daley Blind has been a good inclusion to the team but he has turned into more of a utility player for Louis van Gaal than an out right defensive midfielder.

The United strike force was lacklustre last season as the amount of goals that were scored was minimal. With the players that the team had upfront, United should have been scoring goals more goals than they have in the past seasons.

Dwight Yorke commented saying: “Going forward we had Angel Di Maria, Wayne Rooney, Robin Van Persie, Falcao - but they haven’t been able to deliver the devastating blow we know they are capable of doing.

“That may be a point where he may need to make some changes with another forward player."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: June 28, 2015, 08:16:03 PM »
If Madrid insists on DDG... I was squeezing them for Varane.

I'd tell him... Hear what... I know you go want to go eventually... But with things in a state of Flux there... I eh think now is the best time. Sign a new deal and if they come back we won't stand in your way once we get a fair offer.

Varane would be nice.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: August 14, 2015, 06:52:51 PM »
ManU or Booo 1 vs Villa 0. Not particularly great game. But United found a way.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: August 14, 2015, 08:51:02 PM »
very very boring... totally anti utd style...  :( was the same last season.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: August 18, 2015, 12:30:17 PM »
I'll take the 3 points now and worry about style later.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5800 on: August 31, 2015, 06:02:33 PM »

Get used to that mantra!

(Incidentally, had Fergie still been in the saddle, I doh see Januzaj being sold. Chicharito? Yes! Januzaj? Not at this time).

Calling on de Utd fans to decode what's happening at Old Trafford.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: August 31, 2015, 07:38:48 PM »
They sold Chicharito and DeGea today.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: August 31, 2015, 07:40:36 PM »

Get used to that mantra!

(Incidentally, had Fergie still been in the saddle, I doh see Januzaj being sold. Chicharito? Yes! Januzaj? Not at this time).

Januzaj is on loan.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: September 01, 2015, 01:57:43 AM »

Get used to that mantra!

Januzaj is on loan.

Good, clear shout. The underlying question is: will he be back? He will get a warm, fuzzy feeling at Dortmund.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: September 01, 2015, 02:01:11 AM »

The DeGea situation seems to be "unresolved". Sounds like there's room for one more press release.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: September 11, 2015, 08:27:02 PM »
Man United's Porous PR Stunt
By Ross Fadner, (Soccer America).

As we reported yesterday, Manchester United suddenly found itself in the news for the wrong reasons, as the British press on Thursday claimed that several senior Manchester United players had approached coach Louis van Gaal earlier this season about his stifling coaching style. Well, by the end of day Friday, the kerfuffle seemed to evaporate into thin air, as van Gaal, speaking ahead of United’s home clash against Liverpool on Saturday, calmly gave his explanation for the alleged episode, which was later followed by the surprise announcement that goalkeeper David De Gea, who spent the entire summer transfer window openly pining for a move to Real Madrid, had suddenly signed a four-year contract extension.

Hmmm...

Please forgive your columnist for sounding skeptical here, but to Off The Post, it’s all a bit too much. Perhaps Man United should consult the Jose Mourinho playbook on PR -- at least the Special One tries to throw everyone off his trail by saying confusing, if not crazy, things -- but United here is, well, being a little too transparent with its press manipulation.

In fact, as OTP writes this, a report has just emerged in the Mirror claiming that captain Wayne Rooney was not on the bus to United’s team hotel on Thursday, sparking fears that England’s newly-crowned all-time leading scorer could be absent for Saturday’s crucial clash with his team’s most hated rival. One wonders what that could be about?

In any event, let’s back up for a second.

The damage control on Friday started with van Gaal’s press conference in which he asserted that Rooney and vice-captain Michael Carrick had approached with concerns over the team’s mood. According to the Dutchman, the pair simply said that the team, which had been largely overhauled over the summer, felt “flat” and needed a boost. Van Gaal then went on to claim that he has a “superb relationship” with his squad and that the British press, as usual, is barking up the wrong tree. He also went to great pains to explain how the Red Devils’ loyal fans have taken to him and then he went on to say glowing things about Rooney, calling him “the best captain” and such, adding that club EVP and transfer czar Ed Woodward, who has been heavily criticized for brokering the expensive transfer of Anthony Martial from AS Monaco, is “the best of his age.”

Well, what a relief for United fans! And what an amazing U-turn! But wait, the good news continued, as that U-turn was followed by the equally improbable U-turn of De Gea signing a new four-year deal, effectively killing the Spaniard’s hopes of a future move to the club he had courted openly all summer.

Doesn’t it all just sound a little too tightly controlled? One can’t help but wonder what United had to say/do/threaten/pay to get De Gea to sign that deal?  Incidentally, Friday also marks the day when former United defender Gary Neville comes out with his column for the Daily Telegraph. Well, unsurprisingly, his latest opinion piece is about the unrest that was reported on Thursday. Among other things, Neville, who is one of the game’s most well-respected pundits, says: "I have real concerns that Louis van Gaal has fallen out with numerous players over the last year. Some of those players he actually brought in himself. It hardly bodes well when players are brought through the door by a manager who then discards or marginalizes them."

Neville then goes on to address the very problem brought up in the Thursday reports -- namely, that the club’s creative players feel stifled by van Gaal’s tactics. "I see players in fear of capital punishment if they give it away through any element of risk or expression in the final third," he says, adding: “They look like they will suffer if they make an error. That is a concern when you have so many expressive players out on the pitch.”

Neville’s assessment leaves United fans, observers, and the rest with a stark choice to make. So, who are you going to believe: a manager likely towing the company line and whom everyone but himself says is under-fire, or one of the club’s most decorated former players, who likely retains more than a few ties with his former teammates (not to mention the backroom staff), and who also has no reason not to tell us exactly what he thinks is really going on?

The choice is yours.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: September 12, 2015, 10:31:44 AM »

The DeGea situation seems to be "unresolved". Sounds like there's room for one more press release.

My bad on DeGea, there was a headline that said he was sold to Madrid on the day of the deadline. Not too sure why it didn't go through.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: September 12, 2015, 12:17:39 PM »
Bentike and Martial light up Old Trafford. Bentike was spectacular. Martial was sublime. Both goal were breathtaking.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: September 12, 2015, 04:01:42 PM »
I scoffed when I read some pundit say how Martial is the next Henry. Just the English hype machine I said.
Today he come and score a signature Henry goal. Run down the left then cut in and finish easy at the back post.  :o
It will take a lot to live up to his price tag but the man did what he needed to today.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: September 26, 2015, 11:25:08 AM »
I now realize dat I was de man holding back Rooney. De reason why he wasn't scoring all season was because ah had him on meh Fantasy team. As soon as ah remove him, he score.  :frustrated:
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: September 26, 2015, 01:24:43 PM »
I now realize dat I was de man holding back Rooney. De reason why he wasn't scoring all season was because ah had him on meh Fantasy team. As soon as ah remove him, he score.  :frustrated:
Same ting wid me dread...ah drop Rooney and Harry Kane and both ah dem score today. I pick up Wilson as a striker and he get injured in the first half. All I could do is  ;D :'(

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #5812 on: September 26, 2015, 02:22:02 PM »
Doh feel bad, I put Sanchez on the bench and he scored a hattrick today.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: October 17, 2015, 09:24:39 AM »
Manu 3 vs Everton 0. The score don't tell the real truth. Everton had some good chances but King David De Gea made some spectacular foot saves. Honestly he should be United captain. Despite all the preseason distractions, he saving like ah borse.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: January 30, 2016, 04:09:08 AM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: February 18, 2016, 07:25:28 PM »
Midtjylland 2 Utd 1

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: February 19, 2016, 12:56:25 AM »
Midtjylland 2 Utd 1

ANd I understand it wasn't even that close. I believe the only reason LVG hasn't been fired is because he hasn't got them eliminated from Europe next year yet.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: February 28, 2016, 08:38:32 AM »
Rash#@#%*ford!!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: February 28, 2016, 10:08:27 AM »
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:13:00 AM by asylumseeker »